Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's interesting the way Uchikoshi wrote the branching parts to have it be intriguing no matter which order we go through the routes. If you go through this route first and see Renju's death, you'll be surprised at the amount of poo poo he pulled in Iris' path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I went this route first on my playthrough. I was really confused when I finally got around to the right-side path, and Renju didn't show up - I had that pegged as a pretty important event.

It all makes sense in the end of course (to a given degree of "sense" - this is Uchikoshi we're talking about). But that's what I expected coming into this.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 27, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

New video!

This time, we check back in with Mama at Marble, and then meet some old friends from another timeline.

Also, I'll call voting here. Smacking the TV has won the vote, 20 to 11. I'll start recording tomorrow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

This time, we hone in on our primary suspect in Renju's murder.

Also, we have another poll, not for the branch in this upcoming Somnium, but the next one. I got there quicker than I remembered. Here's the poll!

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Renju's connection with the Kumakuras is new in this branch, yeah. The other branch only had Shoko's connection. With So Sejima also being connected to the gang, it's really starting to feel like the Kumakuras are at the center of this whole mystery. The Sejima family backstory is interesting, too -- there's an obvious financial motive to selling off land before it's drastically devalued by a disaster, but why buy it back afterwards?

The explanation of how Iris could have killed Renju makes sense, but I really feel like Date and Boss should have considered the why, also. I don't think we've seen anything that would give Iris a motive to kill Renju.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tau Wedel posted:

The explanation of how Iris could have killed Renju makes sense, but I really feel like Date and Boss should have considered the why, also. I don't think we've seen anything that would give Iris a motive to kill Renju.

Well, in a way, the Psync is how we might be able to get the "why" answered. The thing is that Iris hits a lot of the points for the "how" and also acts extremely suspicious with her texting Ota involving some weird secret that he is keeping to "protect" her, not to mention Ota also acting extremely suspicious in the first place when it comes to Iris being a person of interest.

That's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be fire. I'm sure there's a lot of possible motives - the idol business is hell.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Well, in a way, the Psync is how we might be able to get the "why" answered. The thing is that Iris hits a lot of the points for the "how" and also acts extremely suspicious with her texting Ota involving some weird secret that he is keeping to "protect" her, not to mention Ota also acting extremely suspicious in the first place when it comes to Iris being a person of interest.

That's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be fire. I'm sure there's a lot of possible motives - the idol business is hell.

The texting is definitely suspicious as hell (and Iris is clearly trying to hide something, even if it isn't killing Renju), but it only shows up at the end of the interrogation. I was more thinking about why Iris is being questioned as a suspect at all. It's obviously worth talking to her since she was with Renju only a few hours before his death, but it seemed odd to jump from there to "she might have killed Renju" without suggesting a motive. And Ota's reaction could be explained as his usual protectiveness of Iris -- it's not that he knows anything specific, he just doesn't want Iris involved in the case at all.

You're quite right that there are many possible motives for Iris to kill Renju, it just stood out to me that the game doesn't actually make any suggestions. In any case, this is just quibbling on my part -- given the available evidence, Date would've ended up with Iris as the main suspect one way or the other. Though even if Iris did kill Renju, that wouldn't close the case -- because she almost certainly didn't kill Shoko. She has no relationship with Shoko at all (did she even meet Renju before the divorce? I can't remember the timeline here), so her murder of Renju is more likely to be a deliberate copy to mislead the police into thinking the two murders are related.

(It also just occured to me that there's a certain irony in Falco's call, now: we know from the other branch that Falco doesn't have any information, the call is just part of a scheme by Renju to get Falco out of prison, but instead a second murder actually does occur -- and Renju is the victim.)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Akasaka from HQ sounds like David Lodge. David Lodge as Jeralt, in particular.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:lol: If Iris is the murderer because of tumor delusions and Date did exactly the wrong everything in the first path.

Though I guess we still need to learn why the killer removes eyes, and that mysterious guy who disappeared shortly before Date's memories begin.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Have we learned the thing you mentioned? I don't think it has been brought up in this thread.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

1234567890num posted:

Have we learned the thing you mentioned? I don't think it has been brought up in this thread.

I'm not sure which thing you're referring to, but all of those have been shown in the LP so far, yes.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I was referring to the brain tumor. After double checking, turns out that you're right; it has been revealed before. Guess my memory is the faulty one :sweatdrop:

It would've sucked you went that path first, and then finding out that to see everything you have to play along with her delusions. Good thing we believed her the first time :j:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Today, we're Psyncing with Iris for the third time. We have plenty of experience, so this shouldn't be too different from what we've seen before. ...right?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

:suspense:

Keep in mind that this is possibly the third somnium you'll see, so it has a really big impact. To say that it makes the cheery Shovelforge somniums in the other branch very jarring is kind of an understatement.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, this was my first Iris somnium/third overall somnium, and it did not encourage me to trust her in other branches. Woof.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Haha what the gently caress

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I went down this branch first :yeshaha:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ibblebibble posted:

I went down this branch first :yeshaha:

Same. It's a pretty good, uh, opener.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Combined with the heavy suspicion that she killed Renju, she really wasn't looking trustworthy. Also she blackmails Date in the prologue so that didn't look like something that was too dark for her to do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 4, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Quite the whiplash compared to the other times we did this. The butterfly effect (AKA Uchikoshi narrative) at work?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NeverHelm posted:

Quite the whiplash compared to the other times we did this. The butterfly effect (AKA Uchikoshi narrative) at work?

I'll say this: It'll make sense in the end. This game will leave you guessing for quite some time before it really lets you in on the secrets, and we haven't gotten close to that point yet. This is sort of the point where the questions really pile up - when we start exploring other branches and conflicts in what we thought to be true start popping up.

Also, while I'm here: If you haven't, go vote in the poll! Though it seems like the predictable outcome is going to be the result, that can still change.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2020

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Wow, this Somnium would be really confusing if you went down this branch first. But luckily we've already seen the other branch, which clarifies absolutely nothing.

(Why are we killing childish pictures of animals? When did Iris even see this place? Did she go here with Renju before he died in this timeline? Why did we see So Sejima at the end? Oh god I'm so confused. :psyduck: )

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

TheMcD posted:

I'll say this: It'll make sense in the end. This game will leave you guessing for quite some time before it really lets you in on the secrets, and we haven't gotten close to that point yet.

Oh, I know - I've been through this before. It's fun seeing what theories people come up with, as I sit here in my Chair of Knowledge. I definitely had some theories of my own at this point, though they were fairly different from what is in this thread right now (likely because I went this way first).

I wonder if someone will solve the mystery before the game confirms the answer. I know I didn't.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 4, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NeverHelm posted:

I wonder if someone will solve the mystery before the game confirms the answer. I know I didn't.

I sure as gently caress didn't. I had my mind sufficiently blown. Though I can say the same of Danganronpa 1, Danganronpa 2, Ultra Despair Girls, Danganronpa V3, 999, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma. Maybe I'm just thick.

Anyway, new video!

This time, we continue our investigation based on what we saw in Iris's Somnium. Also, we make an incredibly dumb decision.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Contractual Protagonist Stupidity claims another victim!

Geez Date, you're a trained police officer who stares down Yakuza. You should have known better.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jeez Iris and Ota are behaving very differently this branch, all because Mizuki didn’t go away to see Iris.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Time for Aiba to spring into action and save the day!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ah Ota, committing casual felonies for his crush. Truly the embodiment of the old parable, The Goon and The Printer.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Iris' voice is so different right after the Somnium - subdued and not at all chipper. Voice actor did a good job there!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Let's see what Ota and Iris get themselves into now that Ota brained Date with a wok.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Holy poo poo that flashback just kept getting better and better.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That ice machine sends chills down my spine even now.

It's scenes like this that make Mizuki my favourite character in this game. She's snarky, confident and ludicrously strong, but she's still a young, impressionable girl at times. Her VA actually streamed her playthrough of the game - Can't find it anywhere now though.

Also: The only other place I had ever heard the word "Clione" before this was Zanki Zero. Considering they are from the same company, I imagine that's a deliberate reference.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So here's a question I've been pondering. Is my update schedule too fast? I've been pumping these videos out every two days now, mostly aided by a backlog, but am I going a bit too fast? I have no idea what a proper update schedule would be, so if I should slow it down, I can do that. I'm interested in what you, the audience, have to say.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I think an update schedule too fast would be more than 1 a day, so I think you're good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just post all of it right now

no now it's too late

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Huh, so the shrine we saw in that Somnium on the other path has now showed up in Date's memory... is Date leaking when he Psyncs?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

biosterous posted:

Huh, so the shrine we saw in that Somnium on the other path has now showed up in Date's memory... is Date leaking when he Psyncs?

It's Ikume Shrine, the same place we visited a couple of times separately. It's just a regular "real world" location. It showed up in Iris's Somnium because it's one of the last places she was at before that (resting with Date after escaping from Pewter's kidnapping), and it's also part of her memories with Falco.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I like this new Master character, hope we see more of him later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ah, okay. I forgot a bunch of those scenes!