Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
With only two months of 2019 left the critics of the world are already hard at work drafting their best-of lists, preparing the memorialize the cultural output of the decade that began with Old Spice making Tim & Eric wackiness mainstream and Insane Clown Posse rapping about magnets and ended with concentration camps and paper straws. The 3d boom went bust, physical media was replaced with Funko POPs on store shelves as digital distribution took over, and the annual predictions that this was going to be the year that the blockbuster bubble burst and the superhero fad died out were incorrect each and every time. The American public at large became more savvy about how films are made while at the same time having their brains destroyed by YouTuber film criticism and inane fan theories. And in spite of it all, some good movies were made.

However, that is not what this thread is for. This thread is for looking back at and discussing the WORST movies of the 2010s.

A few highlights to kick things off:

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

In many ways a harbinger of some of the worst failings of the next decade of movies to come: a live-action Disney remake, an awful post-conversion into 3d, aggressive courtship of fandoms and merchandising, and a lead actor who has been Cancelled. Making over a billion dollars worldwide entirely due to being the first big 3D movie to come out after Avatar, a cast of talented actors and a director who usually at least has an eye for visuals all come together to make a movie that is shockingly forgettable and boring.

WORST MOMENT: Being rewarded for sitting through the movie by watching Johnny Depp's head pasted onto an America's Got Talent breakdancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzAOV7uxw0

Jack & Jill (2011)

2010's Grown-Ups might better embody Adam Sandler's completely failure to capitalize on the goodwill of Funny People and instead descend into movies that existed largely as an excuse for him and his friends and their families to go on vacations on the studio's dime while drawing a fat paycheck, but while plenty of kids growing up at the time at least connected with Grown-Ups as a dumb fun family comedy Jack & Jill was loved by nobody and didn't even make back it's budget domestically.

WORST MOMENT: The film's climax being a literal Dunkin Donuts commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxV-Y_pGh0

Act of Valor (2012)

A movie starring actual Navy SEALs that started its life as a promotional ad for the US military, this piece of literal propaganda was an unexceptional action movie that was forgotten by everyone who saw it a week later yet will always remain a black mark on the history of American cinema as a whole. Laid the groundwork for the kind of culture war bullshit that would later make movies like American Sniper huge box office successes.

WORST MOMENT: Knowing that there is a nonzero chance that this was a successful recruitment tool.

Movie 43 (2013)

Putting out a sketch comedy movie in the era of YouTube is hard enough, doing it with a bunch of terrible sketches that inexplicably feature a ton of big-name performers makes it even more baffling.

WORST MOMENT: Thinking about how long Hugh Jackman had to sit in the makeup chair having a pair of lovingly-crafted prosthetic balls attached to his face.

Winter's Tale (2014)

An adaptation of a magical realism romance novel that is a whirlwind of failed and stalled careers all doing much worse than you would expect from them.

WORST MOMENT: Will Smith as the devil, wearing a Jimi Hendrix t-shirt in the 1910s and sporting a pair of bad CGI chompers.

Mortdecai (2015)

To this day I'm not sure anyone has actually seen Mortdecai. Critics have written about it being a comedy heist movie that forgets to be funny or have action and stakes but to the world at large it is only that movie responsible for a three month period where everywhere you went there was Johnny Depp with a funny mustache, inviting you to see the funny mustache movie along with his costars that are also wearing funny mustaches.

WORST MOMENT: The film's entire ad campaign, whose social media is still preserved in amber for all to marvel at.

https://twitter.com/mortdecaiindia/status/557787237266366464

Suicide Squad (2016)

The 2010s were full of failed attempts to ride the coattails of The Avengers and build cinematic universers, and while DC's attempts weren't without merit or their fans it's hard to argue that there wasn't a bigger and more public fiasco than Suicide Squad. The movie may have launched a million Harley Quinn halloween costumes and Gang Weed memes but at its core the film, much like The Joker, is irreparably damaged.

WORST MOMENT:

The Book of Henry (2017)

When the trailer for Book of Henry dropped some people thought it was a joke. The idea of a movie about a genius savant child using Rube Goldberg machines to convince his mom to assassinate a child molester from beyond the grave seemed so ludicrous and tone deaf, and the supporting cast was full of SNL alum and stand-ups. But alas, Book of Henry was not only real but it single-handedly sent Colin Trevorrow's career path crashing back down to earth as he was removed from working on the next Star Wars movie.

WORST MOMENT: The sinking feeling in your stomach halfway through the trailer when it makes its turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Gotti (2018)

Both weirdly sympathetic towards its subject matter and bafflingly incompetent in its production, Gotti embodied so much of the poo poo of the modern day as it was widely seen thanks to a now-defunct app that wasted millions of dollars in venture capital and was promoted with the Trumpian argument that since critics hated it you should see it to stick it to the establishment.

WORST MOMENT: The closing title card arguing that the government are the real bad guys because the witness protection program means criminals get away with their crimes instead of going to jail.

Hellboy (2019)

This year has seen so many failed attempts at rebooting a franchise (does anybody even remember MIB: International or Shaft?) but Hellboy was easily the worst simply due to how incomplete a film it was thanks to behind the scenes drama squandering a bunch of otherwise talented people.

WORST MOMENT: The awkwardly ADR'd f-bombs so they could brag about it being an R-rated movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Collateral Beauty - 2016
Emoji Movie -2017
Jonah Hex - 2010
Human Centipede (All of them) - 2010+
Yogi Bear - 2010
Scary Movie 12/Vampires Suck/All those Wayans bros trash films - 20whatever
R.I.P.D. - 2013
I, Frankenstein - 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Book of Henry is so tone-deaf that it wraps back around to being good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It was a rough decade full of horrible films (though I must admit I kind of admire how batshit insane Book of Henry is and I kind of love the movie, though for totally unintended reasons). But there's some absolutely irredeemable poo poo that's come out the past 10 years. Here's my Bottom 10.

10. Green Book (2018)

Sure, part of this is inflated backlash to its Oscar win, but what an appalling, misguided, and overall boring film. Absolutely interminable mixed with horrible stereotypes. One of the sickliest attempts at addressing race from Hollywood since Crash and perhaps an even more egregious Oscar win, given that Crash is at least an interesting trainwreck. This was a small eternity.

9. Cop Out (2010)

I remember renting this from Red Box shortly after its release having never heard of it. At the end when it showed that Kevin Smith had directed it I was actually shocked -- I never thought I would say this but jesus Kevin you are better than this. Lifeless filmmaking, apparently complicated by Smith's decision to get stoned every day on set and unorthodox directing decisions like making his cinematographer try every lens in his case until he found one he likes. Say what you will about Tusk and Yoga Hosers, those movies are bad but at least they have a voice behind them.

8. Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011)

I only saw the first one but how many people actually bothered with the entire series? On top of promoting a terrible ideology of selfishness and laissez faire economics, the film is a display of technical incompetence. Not even fun-bad, just miserable.

7. Now You See Me (2013)

An otherwise forgettable Hollywood heist flick about magicians that most people probably thought was "just ok" to "pretty cool" but oh my god did this one just hit the wrong nerve with me. So entirely smug and satisfied with itself, made worse by Jesse Eisenberg's sneering little face in the lead. Eisenberg's star was reaching its heights, and iirc this came out around the same time he was trying to pull a James Franco and position himself as a Man of Letters by publishing old Louis CK bits in the New Yorker disguised as witticism. I barely remember the plot details of this one, but I'll never forget how angry this one made me and I will go to my grave cursing Eisenberg.

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Look, the MCU is a pox upon cinema and the entire series deserves a special achievement award in poisoning the well of popular culture. At the time of this post we're on our third loving week of discourse around an offhand comment Martin Scorsese made in an interview about not liking the spandex suit movies. But Age of Ultron is truly bottom of the barrel. Whedon is an incompetent director handling one of the most bloated films this studio has put out to date. A miserable experience that even hardcore MCU fans will cop to being a low point for the series. I still haven't seen Infinity War or Endgame and I don't give a poo poo to do so.

5. Kung Fury (2015)

Witless garbage for the attention deficit. This one will probably elicit a few "you just hate fun" responses but I hated this loving thing, that is now apparently being turned into a feature. The worst impulses of our nostalgia-tripping culture. A pirates vs. ninjas meme from 2007 made into a 30 minute, faux-VHS assault on the senses.

4. Patriots Day (2016)

I'm from Boston so this one strikes a little close to home but holy poo poo what exploitative garbage. gently caress Mark Wahlberg that little racist piece of poo poo and his propaganda piece. Wahlberg should've been exiled from Boston for this poo poo. In his perverse desire to insert himself into our worst, most recent tragedies, he plays a so-called "composite" of the actual first responders, which is nothing short of disgusting. Pure exploitation. Wahlberg said he wanted to make this movie right, before someone else made it. But it never should have been made, there's no reason for it to exist, and it certainly didn't need a star-studded cast and a hero's journey. Egregious.

3. The Last Airbender (2010)

Do I gotta explain this one?

2. Range 15 (2016)

Like someone adapted a Punisher logo MAGA Facebook group into a feature film. Absolutely disgusting, filled with product placement, delights in killing. Everything wrong with this country and you'll feel worse watching it.

1. Foodfight! (2012)

How did you make this thread, on this forum, in Cinema Discusso, without mentioning Foodfight!? Some of our members got quoted in the New York Times for this one! One of the most dire, astounding, miserable movies ever made. It needs to be seen to be believed, and honestly I recommend everyone do so. You haven't seen the full breadth of cinema's capabilities as a medium until you've seen Foodfight! and once you do you'll wonder if it was ever worth inventing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, here's my lowest rated movies for the decade on Criticker.

I must say, I remember very little about some of these; and don't remember hating Martha Marcy May Marlene that much. All of that said, I still feel very confident about rating Dinner for Schmucks worst of the decade. What a stupid, miserable, laughless affair.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 22, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TrixRabbi posted:

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Please don't do this. A Marvel or a Star War are not the worst movies of the decade and even if you genuinely think they are those two topics have been so well-trodden there's nothing funny, informative, or interesting to be wrung from them.

quote:

5. Kung Fury (2015)

Witless garbage for the attention deficit. This one will probably elicit a few "you just hate fun" responses but I hated this loving thing, that is now apparently being turned into a feature. The worst impulses of our nostalgia-tripping culture. A pirates vs. ninjas meme from 2007 made into a 30 minute, faux-VHS assault on the senses.

Kung Fury didn't invent that neon laser grid 80s monkey cheese maximalist garbage but it definitely popularized it in a way that we're still feeling today.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

4. Patriots Day (2016)

I'm from Boston so this one strikes a little close to home but holy poo poo what exploitative garbage. gently caress Mark Wahlberg that little racist piece of poo poo and his propaganda piece. Wahlberg should've been exiled from Boston for this poo poo. In his perverse desire to insert himself into our worst, most recent tragedies, he plays a so-called "composite" of the actual first responders, which is nothing short of disgusting. Pure exploitation. Wahlberg said he wanted to make this movie right, before someone else made it. But it never should have been made, there's no reason for it to exist, and it certainly didn't need a star-studded cast and a hero's journey. Egregious.

I loving love this movie. When it came out I think I described it to a friend as being in "exquisitely poor taste". The climactic scene where the SWAT team flings Dzokhar out of the boat in slow mo while 50 snipers watch from the rooftops as the score blares triumphantly is one of the most striking cinematic moments of the decade.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh poo poo, just remembered that The Circle (2017) merits mention. It's so weird and moves so fast (cut to a swift, incomprehensible 87 minutes) that it's a pretty fun watch, but boy-oh-boy is it terrible. Special shout out to Boyhood's Ellar Coltrane who in a supporting role delivers one of the worst performances I've ever seen in a major motion picture. This was also the first Bill Paxton performance released after his death. In one scene he shits his pants, and in another accidentally gets broadcast using a penis pump.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

General Dog posted:

I loving love this movie. When it came out I think I described it to a friend as being in "exquisitely poor taste". The climactic scene where the SWAT team flings Dzokhar out of the boat in slow mo while 50 snipers watch from the rooftops as the score blares triumphantly is one of the most striking cinematic moments of the decade.

Oh yeah it is fascinating for sure and well worth a look as an exercise in exceedingly poor taste. Like I recommend checking out Range 15 for the same reason.

Sleeveless posted:

Please don't do this. A Marvel or a Star War are not the worst movies of the decade and even if you genuinely think they are those two topics have been so well-trodden there's nothing funny, informative, or interesting to be wrung from them.

Kung Fury didn't invent that neon laser grid 80s monkey cheese maximalist garbage but it definitely popularized it in a way that we're still feeling today.

I’m also exceedingly bored by the endless Marvel debate but that movie is just pit in my stomach awful and it warrants mention. It’s shot like dog poo poo too.

Agreed on Kung Fury not inventing anything cause there’s a ton of 80’s throwback poo poo just like it but absolutely it maximized and spread it. I also think it’s one of the most obnoxious examples of its genre and I don’t find it charming in the least.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everything Dinesh D'Souza made should be front and center in this list.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

God's Not Dead was made (and got two sequels!) during this decade. There was also that terrible Muppets movie with Melissa McCarty, the atrocious Sicario sequel, and all the Fifty Shades movies.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Foodfight (2012) is absolutely the worst. It is hardly a debate.

My top five would be rounded out in some manner with the following:

Draft Day (2014): Shameless corporate self-promotion coupled with one of the worst stars in the history of Hollywood.

Conan the Barbarian (2011): In terms of quality, it's more a remake of Red Sonja than Conan.

Red Dawn (2012): To its credit, its xenophobia is innovative and unprecedented.

Get Hard (2015): A zero-laugh buddy comedy.

Honestly I don't watch a lot of trash anymore, maybe because I stopped smoking so much weed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

I’m not sure what evidence needs to be shown of Age of Ultron for it to be worthy - a menagerie of horrible shots, editing so bad that people teleport in action scenes, or Tony Stark making a rape joke - but it absolutely deserves to be on that list.

It’s hard to see where you’re coming from here. The idea of a top ten worst movies list is an inherently inflammatory one, as shown by the fact that you’re mandating that nobody put Disney properties on their list but you seem to think including a WB/DC one is allowed. Even if we don’t get into a fifty page argument over a topic as broad as the subjectivity of art, you’re still making a thread that is literally about valuing aggression in film criticism, and then getting upset when people are aggressive?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I honestly haven't watched a whole lot of movies this decade but The Book of Henry has to be the worst. It's so extraordinarily wrongheaded in its moral center, hackneyed writing and how it wants you to feel that it hurts my brain to think about. Between that and Jurassic World I'd award worst director of the decade honors to Colin Trevorrow, may he direct Sci-Fi TV movies for the rest of his days.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I generally dislike the phenomenon of movies being “so bad they’re good” because bad movies usually end up just being boring, but I can attest that The Book of Henry is indeed an exception to my rule and is a wild-rear end ride from start to finish.

I never talk to the TV when I’m watching stuff, but I legitimately shouted “WHAT!?” so loud at 1AM I woke up my roommate when I heard ”Mom, I think Henry wants us to kill the police commissioner.”

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Every once and a while, I host a bad movie marathon party at my place. For one of these, the movies were The Snowman, Raw Force, A Talking Cat!?!, and Book of Henry. Snowman was weird and inept, but was a little too dull to laugh at. Raw Force was a fun, dumb exploitation action movie. Talking Cat was a great time for how borderline inexplicable and incredibly low rent it all was.

But for Book of Henry? Nobody enjoyed that one. It just made everyone mad.

On her way home, one of my friends made an illegal turn or something and got pulled over. The cop asked her where she was coming from and somehow this led to her spending like five minutes explaining the movie to him while ranting about it. By the time she was done, the amused officer was all, "Well, have a good night!" and let her go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's a really great song off of Jason Isbell's 2013 album Southeastern called Yvette that I can only assume was the inspiration for that disaster of a movie. Anyway everyone should listen to it (and Jason Isbell in general)!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's obviously a difference between "worst" and "most disappointing". A movie like Age of Ultron just has too much put into it, and too many good actors involved to truly be the worst but it could definitely be considered one of the most disappointing.

I struggle to think of a film from the past ten years that was worse than The Snowman. It's missing some of the most basic pieces that you need to form a real narrative, like, at a base level it's not a coherent story. And it has no redeeming qualities that could come close to balancing that out. Fassbender is a complete nothing in it, just a non-entity.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

There's obviously a difference between "worst" and "most disappointing". A movie like Age of Ultron just has too much put into it, and too many good actors involved to truly be the worst but it could definitely be considered one of the most disappointing.

I struggle to think of a film from the past ten years that was worse than The Snowman. It's missing some of the most basic pieces that you need to form a real narrative, like, at a base level it's not a coherent story. And it has no redeeming qualities that could come close to balancing that out. Fassbender is a complete nothing in it, just a non-entity.

But this is the contradiction I’m pointing out - you say Age of Ultron has “too much good” involved to be considered one of the worst, but then say that one of the worst is a movie starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Tomas Alfredson. The Let the Right One In guy! By your own definition, that’s not worst, that’s most disappointing. And Age of Ultron certainly isn’t a coherent story with redeeming qualities.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of really bad, incompetent movies have a lot of money, effort, and talent behind them. Is Alice in Wonderland exempt from this discussion because Tim Burton is a typically talented director who put together a strong cast and the movie made a billion dollars? What about Waterworld? That was one of the most expensive movies ever made at the time and featured Kevin Costner at the height of his fame and Dennis Hopper.

Age of Ultron is dogshit, boring, incompetent, and at certain times made me angry from its attempts at humor. Worst is applicable.

edit: I also wouldn't equate Worst with cheap or untalented. poo poo like The Beast of Yucca Flats has way more charm and personality than an Age of Ultron, even if Age of Ultron has a better understanding of filmmaking conventions and access to A-List megastars.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 23, 2019

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm tempted to reiterate the case for Foodfight! with evidence but posting a clip feels unethical.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

But this is the contradiction I’m pointing out - you say Age of Ultron has “too much good” involved to be considered one of the worst, but then say that one of the worst is a movie starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Tomas Alfredson. The Let the Right One In guy! By your own definition, that’s not worst, that’s most disappointing. And Age of Ultron certainly isn’t a coherent story with redeeming qualities.

The good parts of Age of Ultron are actually good though. RDJ is good, Hemsworth is good, Ruffalo is good, Spader is good. There are some genuinely good actions scenes in it.

Fassbender does not live up to his reputation in The Snowman. Had he delivered an excellent performance, yea that would've elevated it. But he didn't.

TrixRabbi posted:

A lot of really bad, incompetent movies have a lot of money, effort, and talent behind them. Is Alice in Wonderland exempt from this discussion because Tim Burton is a typically talented director who put together a strong cast and the movie made a billion dollars? What about Waterworld? That was one of the most expensive movies ever made at the time and featured Kevin Costner at the height of his fame and Dennis Hopper.

Nothing is exempt from the discussion. But yea, something like Waterworld with all the ambition that clearly went into it, the massive sets and and the world building it has, then throw in Dennis Hopper as the villain, I don't think it deserves to be discussed as one of the worst films of it's decade. There's just too much there to appreciate, even if it fails in some important aspects.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's a movie called Surfer: Teen Confronts Fear that unfortunately isn't available to see in any way outside of special showings. And it's a shame because everything I've read and heard about it makes it seem like the true successor of The Room. The same level of passion project turned into an inexplicable mess.

Which reminds me, Birdemic came out in early 2010, so it just makes the cut.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The good parts of Age of Ultron are actually good though. RDJ is good, Hemsworth is good, Ruffalo is good, Spader is good. There are some genuinely good actions scenes in it.

Fassbender does not live up to his reputation in The Snowman. Had he delivered an excellent performance, yea that would've elevated it. But he didn't.

I have not seen The Snowman, but I guarantee you that whatever Fassbender did in that film is not worse than Elizabeth Olsen’s attempt at a Romani accent.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pirate Jet posted:

I have not seen The Snowman, but I guarantee you that whatever Fassbender did in that film is not worse than Elizabeth Olsen’s attempt at a Romani accent.

It did have Val Kilmer's dubbed voice, which is probably worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Nightmare on Elm Street is the worst movie of the 2010’s

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i've tried to avoid bad movies but the four things I've watched over the last decade that I saw fit to give the lowest possible rating on Letterboxd are:

The Killers - loving awful Ashton Kutcher/Katherine Heigl movie where Tom Arnold was legitimately the best part of the film. I watched it out of a sense of Iowa pride for Kutch/Tom and was rewarded with pure dogshit
The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure - I'm aware that i am not the target audience for this movie and almost excuse it for that but it's sub PBS-quality with an inexplicable cast and really uncomfortable character designs and writing. I watched this for a podcast.
Men, Women and Children - ugh the way this movie looks at the internet is so cynical and old man-y, it might not be as poorly made as the other movies on this list but the theme was just the most cliche "maybe the internet is bad" bullshit. I saw this at a free preview because i was excited for it! loving Jason Reitman letting me down.
Foodfight - self explanatory

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Kung Fury especially infuriates me because it blatantly steals jokes and concepts from Danger 5 and it became much more popular despite Danger 5 being an actually funny and charming show that also somehow authentically replicates the retro 60s style it's going for.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, I thought people were joking when they said that it was unfinished but the director himself admitted that they just didn't get to shoot everything they needed and he had to just try and edit it together as best he could. I feel like one of the things that marked this decade was America embracing and then slowly failing the bleak Scandinavian thriller subgenre, in addition to the Dragon Tattoo movie series fizzling out and high-profile TV adaptations like The Killing and The Bridge winding up disappointing the Jim Carrey vehicle Dark Crimes winding up on a lot of Worst Of lists last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WWC0GTP08w

CelticPredator posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street is the worst movie of the 2010’s

I don't know if it's even the worst horror remake of the 2010s. I feel like the 2016 remake of Blair Witch was uniquely terrible because when Platinum Dunes remakes Elm St or Fox tosses a remake of Poltergeist to some studio guy who only does YA movies you at least have reasonably lowered expectations, Adam Wingard coming hot on the heels of You're Next and The Guest with a found footage movie that revealed at the very last minute it was a Blair Witch movie felt like it could have been something special and instead it's just a worse version of a classic movie.

DC Murderverse posted:

The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure - I'm aware that i am not the target audience for this movie and almost excuse it for that but it's sub PBS-quality with an inexplicable cast and really uncomfortable character designs and writing. I watched this for a podcast.

Nathan Rabin's writeup points out that Oogieloves was created by the guy who got rich marketing and merchandising british childrens shows like Shining Time Station and Teletubbies in the US but didn't actually have anything to do with their creation and production, which explains its complete inability to connect with its target audience despite the money and connections that must have gone into making it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Someone mentioned Cop Out (2010) and I agree as among the decade's worst. As a die-hard Kevin Smith fan (tempered, but still like his View Askew movies and thought Reboot this year was fine) that movie simply infuriated me. It's also where his career just went completely off the rails. It was like he spent the first half of the decade just smoking weed non-stop and taking those "awesome" ideas we all have when high and making them into projects with expected results. Tusk and Red State are things, Yoga Hosers I have not seen and Reboot was fine like I said. He appears to be in a better place too personally, I should add, his known insecurity and overly-talkative nature got the better of him. But it really seems like with his daughter older and that health scare he had he's doing OK.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 24, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Book of Henry is just bewildering. Like, the only two reactions any sane human being can have to that entire movie is either being stunned into silence or throwing the nearest heavy object directly at the screen.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think The Book of Henry would be a great midnight movie though the plot point of child molestation might put a damper on some of the fun. But seriously, what a bizarre, completely misguided film. Like I'm endeared to it the way other people are endeared to The Room.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the Book of Henry does have something interesting to say about our tendency to idolize the dead, to the point where their memory is some unattainable standard. Naomi Watts’ arc is basically to let go of worrying about what Henry would’ve wanted for her and just living her own life. It’s a movie about a parent who loses her child, but thematically it’s a movie about a child losing a parent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That interpretation might seem more valid if Henry wasn't shown to be super genius who has every suspicion about his neighbor confirmed as 100% true, plays the stock market during recess and makes enough money for his family to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. It's not Naomi Watts' memory of him clouding her judgment or anything, we witness Henry's own insufferable precociousness displayed in the literal events of the movie. Now if Henry WAS completely wrong about Maddie Ziegler's abuse and the movie then became about how his judgment was flawed then that could have maybe, in a better-written film, worked. But like people have already said, everything about The Book of Henry is screwed on wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That interpretation might seem more valid if Henry wasn't shown to be super genius who has every suspicion about his neighbor confirmed as 100% true, plays the stock market during recess and makes enough money for his family to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. It's not Naomi Watts' memory of him clouding her judgment or anything, we witness Henry's own insufferable precociousness displayed in the literal events of the movie. Now if Henry WAS completely wrong about Maddie Ziegler's abuse and the movie then became about how his judgment was flawed then that could have maybe, in a better-written film, worked. But like people have already said, everything about The Book of Henry is screwed on wrong.

It's a total confusing tonal mess for sure, but to be fair the movie does climax with Watts' realization that "oh, I'm about to kill a man because my dead 11 year old son is telling me to, maybe that's not a good idea."

I also love the confusing, 100% inappropriate "will-they-won't-they" sexual tension between Henry and Sarah Silverman.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Book of Henry is just bewildering. Like, the only two reactions any sane human being can have to that entire movie is either being stunned into silence or throwing the nearest heavy object directly at the screen.

Am i remembering right that one of the moms girlfriends very unsubtly wanted to bone the 12 year old Henry, and this was played for laughs/sentiment?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

General Dog posted:

It's a total confusing tonal mess for sure, but to be fair the movie does climax with Watts' realization that "oh, I'm about to kill a man because my dead 11 year old son is telling me to, maybe that's not a good idea."

But then the cop kills himself anyways. So Henry got what he wanted!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Off the top of my head, Jupiter Ascending, and then The Predator and Alien Covenant. I think the latter fall under more disappointing than completely terrible but Covenant was completely what the gently caress were these people even thinking.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I just want to throw in a (dis)honorable mention of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. It was openly marketed to right-wing creeps by Paramount, who were hoping to get more of that sweet American Sniper money, but the actual movie is mostly notable for being the most boring Black Hawk Down retread you can possibly imagine. Other than some halfhearted :911: ARE TROOPS :911: patriotism it doesn't really engage with the stupid conspiracy theories about the 2012 Benghazi attacks, which is almost disappointing because what we're left with is just unbelievably dull. Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how completely uninteresting this thing is in spite of being a war movie made by Michael Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I had a nomination for most forgettable movie of the decade, but I forgot what it was.