Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Pixels
Shitlight: Using an Atari cheat code to make a real life car go faster.

The Last Airbender
Shitlight: All of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Terminator: Genisys

That movie is uniquely terrible on a casting, visual, script, direction, storytelling, and performance level rarely seen in movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Giver is too bland to be memorably bad, but it's a pretty textbook example of an adaptation where the tone it aims for is completely wrong for the source material.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

General Dog posted:

The Giver is too bland to be memorably bad, but it's a pretty textbook example of an adaptation where the tone it aims for is completely wrong for the source material.

The book was kind of poo poo to start with, so that's fine.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Specific movies don't jump to mind at the moment but I will say that I hated the biopics of the decade especially since there was a time when they were coming out like two years after the events in question.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mute was such a wet fart of a movie after almost a decade of buildup, it's insane that Duncan Jones entered this decade a promising up and comer and wound up making a blockbuster that made almost half a billion dollars and his blank check weird Russian sci-fi movie and both of them were disappointing and forgettable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Mute was such a wet fart of a movie after almost a decade of buildup, it's insane that Duncan Jones entered this decade a promising up and comer and wound up making a blockbuster that made almost half a billion dollars and his blank check weird Russian sci-fi movie and both of them were disappointing and forgettable.

Yeah, what the gently caress was up with Mute? It was an amusement park ride, hinting at half a dozen other, more interesting movies that we're not watching. And then the resolution comes out of loving nowhere.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Sir Billi: Guardians of the highlands

What an awful movie for Sean Connery to end on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMopeSquad posted:

] and Alien Covenant. I think the latter fall under more disappointing than completely terrible but Covenant was completely what the gently caress were these people even thinking.

Dingus thoughts

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Book of Henry is just bewildering. Like, the only two reactions any sane human being can have to that entire movie is either being stunned into silence or throwing the nearest heavy object directly at the screen.

Focus Features distributed that turd. Remember their output 15 years ago?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ridiculous Six is somehow the worst thing Adam Sandler has ever created in a timeline where Jack and Jill exists.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to work at Barnes and Noble and The Giver was standard middle school reading for some of the districts in the area. I never read it, but I watched the movie, which was some asinine and bland sci-fi nonsense, and I thought there's no way in hell that this is the same required text for middle schoolers that we dole out every season, but lo and behold.

The movie is definitely bottom tier, but it's hard to top Pitch Perfect 3, which was basically army propaganda, or Justice League, which is utterly devoid of value.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The novel The Giver is the basis for pretty much every young adult dystopian franchise, but the move really misrepresents what the book was trying to convey. Compared to edgelord dystopias The Giver is really tame, since it's less about an oppressive society policing thoughts and more about how much individuality humans are willing to give up for homogeneous coexistence. The book doesn't go into much detail about the hows and whys of the setting, and instead focuses on what true emotions would feel like to someone who had never experienced them before.

The movie has a chase scene which makes no sense at all in the context of the setting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It also has that weird (I think dialogue-free) Taylor Swift cameo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

It also has that weird (I think dialogue-free) Taylor Swift cameo

Yeah, much like the rest of the movie, I had forgotten all about that.

My only other knowledge of the Giver comes from the smash hit Weezer song My Name is Jonas, because I was one of the outliers that didn't have to read the Giver in middle school.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

soliciting worst movies of the decade lists and getting pissed when someone puts a Marvel movie on theirs is a perfect way to close out the decade when you think about it

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

soliciting worst movies of the decade lists and getting pissed when someone puts a Marvel movie on theirs is a perfect way to close out the decade when you think about it

lol exactly.

CelticPredator posted:

Dingus thoughts

Yeah, I agree. I liked Covenant. It's only half the movie Prometheus is but I think both of those films are going to get re-evaluated in another decade, maybe even not until after Scott dies, but he's wrestling with really heavy themes of God, meaning, and mortality in some surprisingly complex ways and I feel like they'll be salvaged by history.

edit: It's also funny how me putting Age of Ultron on my Bottom 10 gets backlash but no one has challenged me putting the most recent Best Picture winner even though it has similarly been validated by institutional support. Hmmm...

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A low-hanging fruit is Star Raiders: The Adventures of Saber Raine. It came out in 2017 and was featured in a recent RiffTrax Live. I believe it was mostly crowd-funded, which makes sense, as the production values are slightly above a fan-film and well below an episode of Xena. It stars Casper Van Dien and gives Cynthia Rothrock high billing despite her only showing up for two minutes at the end as a hologram high council member.

It's swimming in nearly every sci-fi cliché but I cannot tell you what it's even about. It's just dull and impossible to care about. The main villain looks decent enough (he looks like a giant pimple hatched out of his skull), but the secondary villain looks like she's wearing a cheap, off-brand Wonder Woman costume. Then there's a bug alien that's supposed to be part of a group of identical fodder, but they never have more than one show up in a scene because they only have the one costume.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

TrixRabbi posted:

lol exactly.

edit: It's also funny how me putting Age of Ultron on my Bottom 10 gets backlash but no one has challenged me putting the most recent Best Picture winner even though it has similarly been validated by institutional support. Hmmm...

Have you considered making posts that are funny, informative, or interesting instead of being the weird kid on the school bus telling everyone Justin Bieber is the worst musician in history and then calling everyone gay when they tell you to stop being annoying.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Ridiculous Six is somehow the worst thing Adam Sandler has ever created in a timeline where Jack and Jill exists.

Between that and A Million Ways to Die in the West this was the decade where comedy westerns brought successful comedy filmmakers to their nadir.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

Between that and A Million Ways to Die in the West this was the decade where comedy westerns brought successful comedy filmmakers to their nadir.

Let's all sit back and remember those great Adam Sandler and Seth Macfarlane movies of the 2000s.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Have you considered making posts that are funny, informative, or interesting instead of being the weird kid on the school bus telling everyone Justin Bieber is the worst musician in history and then calling everyone gay when they tell you to stop being annoying.

oh calm down

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Forget it, he's rolling

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I nominate Star Trek: Into Darkness. Dear lord do I hate that film.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Laughing Zealot posted:

I nominate Star Trek: Into Darkness. Dear lord do I hate that film.

I tried rewatching it a while ago and for a while I was thinking "hey, this isn't as bad as I remember" and then like forty minutes in (I think it was when they used the instantaneous beaming or whatever the gently caress it was) everything collapsed in an ugly mess and I said "ah, it's worse than I remember."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thanks for Sharing isnt like, the worst movie Ive ever seen but its a nothing movie with no purpose

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Warcraft.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Warcraft is kind of impressive in that the CGI orcs gave more grounded and believable performances than the actual human actors on screen. Also it had that one good part when an orc throws a horse at a dude.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everything scene that didnt have an orc in it was trash. Warcraft is like half of a bad movie.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I never thought I'd see as poo poo a wad of try-hard, "from the mouths of babes" pseudointellectual crap as Pay It Forward...and then I saw The Book of Henry. It really is just the worst.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Much like Planet Terror was a tribute to the idea of grindhouse movies in Robert Rodriguez's head, The Green Inferno was a feature-length homage to the idea of cannibal movies in Eli Roth's head. Not normally enough to qualify something as worst of the decade but you throw the South Park "it's gay to care" nihilist politics in with some poo poo and fart jokes and you've got some concentrated garbage.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Crowetron posted:

Warcraft is kind of impressive in that the CGI orcs gave more grounded and believable performances than the actual human actors on screen. Also it had that one good part when an orc throws a horse at a dude.

sometime around when he wrote warcraft iii, metzen realized that the orcs are the good guys and has spent decades fumbling around between identifying with the dispossessed and wanting to consider the alliance their moral equals or betters because they're prettier

also lol at putting suicide squad on your list (which was far from perfect but undisputably hugely successful) and then wringing your hands at someone daring to criticize a marvel movie because screaming hordes of fanboys consider marvel movies platonically good and violently refuse to think about them even for the sake of more than superficial praise let alone critically

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hodgepodge posted:

also lol at putting suicide squad on your list (which was far from perfect but undisputably hugely successful) and then wringing your hands at someone daring to criticize a marvel movie because screaming hordes of fanboys consider marvel movies platonically good and violently refuse to think about them even for the sake of more than superficial praise let alone critically

Assuming that anyone telling you that your weird years-long obsession with hating a thing isn't interesting or funny or relevant to the topic at hand means that they secretly love/are the thing that you're making fun of is one of the worst and most longstanding goon faux pas out there. Being in the same company as the dudes who chortle at dead bodies on Mt Everest and can't believe how much RAM the Xbox has and really hate fat people and Indians is not the side of history you want to be on and I recommend you kindly gently caress off and fix whatever soul sickness you have before returning. :getout:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My problem is that looking over my Criticker for the past decade, there's a ton of films I gave a low score to, but now I am having trouble as to why I disliked the film so much. In the case of comedies, like Tammy, Office Christmas Party, and Rough Night, it's because comedies I don't find funny are my least favourite type of film. However, I have also listed Red State, Knights of Badassdom, and the Green Inferno pretty low, but I don't remember the specifics.

However, I did rate Monster Brawl low, even though it's too low-budget to truly be considered the worst. And it was literally 90 minutes of monsters wrestlers poorly and weird cameos.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd have to look up my Letterboxd to see what I think is the worst of the decade.

So far, my worst film of the year is The Dead Don't Die. Which is a huge bummer, cuz I like Jarmusch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The worst movie of the decade is unquestionably Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gripweed posted:

The worst movie of the decade is unquestionably Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.

Oh poo poo. What was the story with this one? I've never seen any of the Puppet Masters but I remember hearing about this a little while ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh poo poo. What was the story with this one? I've never seen any of the Puppet Masters but I remember hearing about this a little while ago.

It's just straight up a movie for nazis. In the original Puppet Master series, Andre Toulon created his puppets to fight nazis, and fled to American and killed himself so the nazis couldn't get their hands on his puppet secrets. The Littlest Reich is a reboot that turns Andre Toulon into a nazi serial killer who fled to America so he could continue killing, and all his puppets are programmed to kill minorities. The movie is just a series of extremely gruesome murders of black people, gay people, drug users,Jews, people in a mixed race relationship, women who won't gently caress you, women who gently caress too much, etc. All done in a way that is very clearly for the audience's enjoyment.

And one of the classic Puppet Master puppets is turned into a frog puppet. Because the movie isn't just for nazis, it's specifically for 4chan nazis.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The main problem with listing Age of Ultron as one of the worst of the decade is not that it isn't bad, because it is bad, but that there's three other Avengers movies that are even worse.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 28, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The problem with listing Age of Ultron is that it isn’t called A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The main problem with listing Age of Ultron as one of the worst of the decade is not that it's bad, because it is bad, but that there's three other Avengers movies that are even worse.

It's impressive how much of a piece of poo poo Infinity War is.