Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

Is that 35k votes for power in 1 because isn't that an absolutely insane number of votes for a first poll?

Yes, and also yes.

But it's much less insane than it looks. Like Act Age, Chainsaw Man put its popularity poll online, which allows for easier voting, including from an international audience. Chiyoko in Act Age actually got a higher number of votes than Power by a few hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/9q8risz

Speed scan

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Jesus everyone got incredibly hosed up.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Power needs a hug from everyone. Aki needs to make friends with a devil like Denji did, to get his arm back. Maybe a mutual benefit with Angel?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Violence and Shark :negative:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pierson posted:

Jesus everyone got incredibly hosed up.

I know right? Can't believe Kobeni got forced to retire again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's wonderful how mentally strong Denji is, he's the Übermensch of morons.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
drat that hits hard. I also like how he portrays Power's mental trauma.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Violence and Shark :negative:

We'll never forget them. :(

I friggin love how Denji decides to be a good boy and take care of his sister and fellow brainiac.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

Is that 35k votes for power in 1 because isn't that an absolutely insane number of votes for a first poll?

The top 5 combined is over 125k votes yeah.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

:negative: street shark no :( :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like it wasn't 100% textbook (at least to my own experiences) but holy smokes was that loving painful to read/look at as someone who lived with a couple of people suffering from PTSD. Like I know Fujimoto seems to operate on a "gently caress subtlety!" train-wagon a lot of the time, but holy poo poo I wasn't expecting to see some of that body language so explicitly.

Poor Power and Aki. :(

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
The panels of the laundry hang drying is a nice touch to symbolize family. My boy Denji is growing up even if he doesn't realize/understand it.

It will be all the more tragic when everyone he cares about dies in the future since we all know that's where this is heading. That will probably be what triggers Denji opening that door

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can someone remind me what the whole door thing is again?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thoren posted:

Can someone remind me what the whole door thing is again?
It was shown, like 30 chapters ago, that maybe Pochita's "true form" lies beyond said door, but our extremely good boi has been adamant about telling Denji to not look beyond that door.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Look how they massacred my boy Beam

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Can't wait for the day that door is opened up and the true chainsaw devil makes his appearance.

Gonna be a lot of scared devils running around.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Close the thread, we're done here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The way Denji cares for power despite her general attitude towards him before is kinda sweet.

I do hope this doesn't go for a fire punch type ending though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
power's terrible but she's denji's best friend and the only person who really gets him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
powerful chapter. Based on the aftermath I am really sad we lost violence, beam, angel's arms, kobeni maybe if its not a bit, and Aki continues to get hosed up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kobeni will be back as soon as she gets her next rent bill.

EDIT: How did Aki get an arm back? Was it just reattached? Also I thought healing with blood was something all devils could do but I guess it’s exclusive to hybrids and blood devils.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 29, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah, Kobeni's quit or announced plans to quit every arc she's been in. She's pretty much locked in a cycle of trying and failing to finally get out of the game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

EDIT: How did Aki get an arm back? Was it just reattached? Also I thought healing with blood was something all devils could do but I guess it’s exclusive to hybrids and blood devils.

Remember that Aki is a human. He has contracts to two devils, but that's it. Power and Denji are the Fiend(a devil possessing a corpse) and Devil Hybrid (which are the more powerful ones from the looks of it, in account of just needing blood to keep going.

Also, kinda insane just how powerful hybrids really are. Like we were told that Primordial Devils are nothing to gently caress with and Santa Claus was being powered by a primordial one, and she still loving got curb-stomped by some crazy kid in 2 chapters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

power's terrible but she's denji's best friend and the only person who really gets him.

Very possibly. since he ultimately decided he'd place his uh... friendship? and the wellbeing of Power over his primary motivation thus far, getting his dick wet with Makima, I wonder if that was another test of hers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wark Say posted:

Remember that Aki is a human. He has contracts to two devils, but that's it. Power and Denji are the Fiend(a devil possessing a corpse) and Devil Hybrid (which are the more powerful ones from the looks of it, in account of just needing blood to keep going.

I was referring to the Angel devil apparently not being able to regenerate his arms.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

RatHat posted:

How did Aki get an arm back? Was it just reattached? Also I thought healing with blood was something all devils could do but I guess it’s exclusive to hybrids and blood devils.

In the chapter where Makima brought the eyeballs of the gangsters' friends/families in a bag, she mentioned she knew someone who could restore them. It's possible this person saved Aki's arm?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I was referring to the Angel devil apparently not being able to regenerate his arms.
Ugh, I forgot about that! :doh:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Maybe the arms got left behind in Hell, which is messing with the devils? They die in Hell, they come alive in Earth and vice-versa. So arms in Hell = no arms in Earth.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As weird as some of the visuals are in this chapter - in a good way, mind you - it's shocking how we really get hit home with the idea that Denji is learning and feels sympathetic both inward and outward. I feel like he was on board with leaving Power behind until he realized they would be leaving her in the care of the safety goons that were draining blood from her before. Back then, he didn't care, but here he realized what he did before.

Also it really hits how brutal this manga is when a chapter takes time to unpack. And I think Kobeni might legit be out because her friend died in front of her. And he actually was a good dude in the end!

Seriously that alone makes me appreciate this manga so much more. It's so good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It baffles me after this people are still shipping power and denji.

Maybe if Makima dies or something. Maybe.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Cuntellectual posted:

It baffles me after this people are still shipping power and denji.

Maybe if Makima dies or something. Maybe.

they have demon sex in this very chapter!! denji drinking power's blood is maybe one of the most erotically charged panels you'll see in a manga outside of something that is specifically an ero title. I like that the manga is grappling with Denji's feelings and also despite power being naked for like half the chapter she was not drawn in a fanservicey way. They have a great dumbass sibling energy but this chapter definitely lays out some road map for Denji x Power. Denji is portrayed as very immature and the only reason he even likes Makima is because she is cute and treated him nice. Meanwhile shes using him to fight a devil war or whatever, there is a conceivable future where he is done being used and his relationship with Power has matured to a healthy point and he will realize he would rather chill with power all day than do anything with makima.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I dunno he distinctly thinks about how despite feeling he knows Power he doesn't feel anything.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please also take into account that Denji is figuring a lot of stuff out. Like he grew up as a poor kid and has zero loving book smarts or common sense. Sharing an apartment with Aki and Power has probably been the first time he's had a comfy bed! Hell, that thing he mentioned to Santa Claus/The Doll Woman about watching edutainment stuff on TV? Like we think "Oh Denji, you little scamp you!", but he was probably being sincere about how he's learning stuff he didn't know before.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

And I think Kobeni might legit be out because her friend died in front of her. And he actually was a good dude in the end!

i mean her friend died in front of her during the snake girl and katana guy attacks too.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Inflammatory posted:

i mean her friend died in front of her during the snake girl and katana guy attacks too.

This arc was way worse in comparison. Kobeni lost her car, arms, friend/colleague (again), and got sent to hell.

She'll probably be back once she's offered a raise

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

they have demon sex in this very chapter!! denji drinking power's blood is maybe one of the most erotically charged panels you'll see in a manga outside of something that is specifically an ero title. I like that the manga is grappling with Denji's feelings and also despite power being naked for like half the chapter she was not drawn in a fanservicey way. They have a great dumbass sibling energy but this chapter definitely lays out some road map for Denji x Power. Denji is portrayed as very immature and the only reason he even likes Makima is because she is cute and treated him nice. Meanwhile shes using him to fight a devil war or whatever, there is a conceivable future where he is done being used and his relationship with Power has matured to a healthy point and he will realize he would rather chill with power all day than do anything with makima.

I mean, in this latest chapter Denji decided he'd rather hang out with Power than go on a date with Makima but I don't think it was portrayed romantically at all. It's not even the first time Denji ended up choosing his friends over his crush. Same thing happened when Reze asked him to run away with her. He didn't turn her down because he liked Makima more or because he didn't trust her, it was because he kinda liked his new job and was getting on well with his new roommates even though one was really annoying and he never used to like the other guy and he didn't want to lose that relationship.

Denji might be a horny teen who recently set himself on fire because he wanted to go on a date, but his friends seem just as important to him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

Kobeni's pretty much suffered nonstop since she joined the bureau. And has planned to quit every time.

And then she's gone back, because the money is too good to walk away.

On an unrelated note, I think this is the first time Denji's defied Makima to her face. He's defied orders behind her back before (even if she knew exactly what he was doing, Denji didn't know she knew), but this is him still being 100 percent horny for Makima... and putting the well being of others ahead of that.

Makima's described Denji as "interesting" when defending the decision to hire him, both when talking to her bosses and when talking to Aki. Seems possible that smile this chapter was "Oh, look at you, growing as a person. I approve." rather than "You know you want to go with me. Abandon Power."

...Actually, thinking of Makima's agenda, I wonder if she's trying to encourage there being more "human" devils. Power's noted as one of the most sociable fiends, with her interactions with Denji amplifying that. Violence, who was downright sociable, was Makima experimenting with the corpses of her agents to make one of the nastier devils something people could work with.

Probably a stupid thought, but part of me wonders if Makima's a hybrid in Hellboy's style rather than Denji's. Fits with at least some of the evidence we're working with, but we don't have enough information to know if it's even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
THE ONE EYED OWL FLIES AGAIN