Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i can't tell if we're hitting endgame here or if poo poo's actually just starting, but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So this is like...20% of the Gun Devil?

Well Denji, at least you still have Power. Cause Aki is so dead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, she's got contracts with other Devils, one way or another. The handsigns are the same as you get with mundane contractors.

Either her powers let her break the usual rules for contracts, or... well, I've said my pet theories before. No point being repetitive.

She doesn't need contracts, she can force other people to make contracts instead. She just needs to force you to say "shitposting devil, I offer you my everything, please kill lowtax" or whatever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a rad devil design

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Friendly reminder of this little interaction from Chapter 5, after Denji and Power were loudly arguing over who was at fault for killing the sea cucumber devil.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

CodfishCartographer posted:

Friendly reminder of this little interaction from Chapter 5, after Denji and Power were loudly arguing over who was at fault for killing the sea cucumber devil.

as much as i like to think of Fujimoto as some sort of chaos weaver, dude clearly goes in with a plan. there's a bunch of stuff in Fire Punch with that amount of distance between setup and payoff too

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

OH man :ohdear:

I wonder if the bloodletting is related to this. If Power becomes to strong she can break free.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

How does this just keep getting better?

I wonder who she's beckoning? The Gun Devil i suppose.

Flython fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I think she needs to say “This is an order” to activate it. Power just listens because she’s scared.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

I think she needs to say “This is an order” to activate it. Power just listens because she’s scared.

Nah, it the latest chapter we see her give Angel several commands that are followed. Admittedly, it could be because at some point in the past Makima said "this is an order" or something, but then maybe she said that to Power in the past as well. Honestly it may just be Power listening because she's scared, but the super zoom-in on Makima's eye is slightly suspicious.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The author is really good at mixing things up and escalating unexpectedly. Now Im hecka worried tho :ohdear:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Denji rejected her offer for that getaway earlier, huh?

Denji is the dumbest strongest boy. Accidentally.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah the lighthearted moments make the gut punches that much worse. I love this manga :swoon:

Our boy Aki has the right idea but this feels like he just sealed his fate

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

OH man :ohdear:

I wonder if the bloodletting is related to this. If Power becomes to strong she can break free.

That's always been my assumption, even aside from mind control. Power getting too strong might mean she isn't pliable.

And this chapter makes it seem more plausible that Denji's immune to Makima's mind control, which makes the second chapter very interesting.

Admittedly, if Makima has to do the whole "That's an order" thing, it's possible that Denji just wasn't hit with anything since he was reliable anyway. But if she doesn't, then the second chapter says a lot.

Makima gives Denji an order, and he immediately tries to get out of it. And then when he finally obeys... he attempts to run for it and quit.

If Makima's primary experience with Denji is as one of the only people she has no direct power over, that's some interesting context.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

That's always been my assumption, even aside from mind control. Power getting too strong might mean she isn't pliable.

And this chapter makes it seem more plausible that Denji's immune to Makima's mind control, which makes the second chapter very interesting.

Admittedly, if Makima has to do the whole "That's an order" thing, it's possible that Denji just wasn't hit with anything since he was reliable anyway. But if she doesn't, then the second chapter says a lot.

Makima gives Denji an order, and he immediately tries to get out of it. And then when he finally obeys... he attempts to run for it and quit.

If Makima's primary experience with Denji is as one of the only people she has no direct power over, that's some interesting context.

I think there are some people/devils she possibly can't control. Otherwise, Why would she need to "fight" the Darkness Devil? She could have just told it to gently caress off. Why fight the Gun Devil, for that matter? I'm thinking that devils that are more feared than she is may not be able to be swayed by her, or at least not as easily. So Chainsaw, being feared by devils themselves, may be immune to it.

Good thing she's just as good at manipulating Denji emotionally without needing to use her domination powers lmao

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you think about it, the beginning of tribes and proto-civilization would begat Authority and thus Domination, so while not Primal, Makima's definitely antediluvian

e: a thought: I wonder if Makima is the source/origin of the Devil Contract system to begin with?

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2020

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Aki Prediction: We've been shown that while controlled, the subject doesn't seem to recall what happened during that time

So from Aki's perspective, he'll have just asked Makima for help and then "wake up" experiencing the prediction Future devil gave him. Not understanding how he got there

which is pretty :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

If you think about it, the beginning of tribes and proto-civilization would begat Authority and thus Domination, so while not Primal, Makima's definitely antediluvian

e: a thought: I wonder if Makima is the source/origin of the Devil Contract system to begin with?

The other day I was wondering what really "enforced" the contracts and why they hold so much power. What if Makima is the one enforcing them, oh god

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

JamMasterJim posted:

Also, fanart for this week's chapter

This is really good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just noticed this apparently takes place in 1997. I wonder if that means we'll get a timeskip to the present day at some point. Then we could get devils like the Artificial intelligence devil, or the Global Warming devil.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RatHat posted:

Just noticed this apparently takes place in 1997. I wonder if that means we'll get a timeskip to the present day at some point. Then we could get devils like the Artificial intelligence devil, or the Global Warming devil.

Y2K devil

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/l9SVoXj

are people still posting here?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

yum posted:

https://imgur.com/a/l9SVoXj

are people still posting here?

Makima: Look at the timestamps.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 75

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
WHAT THE gently caress IS GONNA HAPPEN NEXT?!?! Be careful Denji and Power!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
the last six pages just being an alphabetical list of people killed during the 12 seconds the Gun Devil was there was soooooo sick. What an artistic device. 😙👌

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
:supaburn:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

NickRoweFillea posted:

the last six pages just being an alphabetical list of people killed during the 12 seconds the Gun Devil was there was soooooo sick. What an artistic device. 😙👌

The scrolling list of names + the 1997 date makes it feel like an old fashioned VHS clip or something. It was also an unexpected terrorist attack from the USA

yum fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 3, 2020

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's beautiful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

It's beautiful.

Makes you want to salute an eagle playing baseball at a fireworks factory, don't it?

And Makima continues to be... about how I thought she was. She apologizes to Aki and Angel when there's no-one to hear her, and she regrets that this is going to go down the bloodiest route... but it's not going to slow her down at all.

Also, neat how Fujimoto played with reader expectations. He knew Fire Punch fans would see the first Gun twist coming a mile away... so he followed it up with a blindside of a Gun Devil attack right now.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 27, 2020

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my somewhat sound theory defeated by narrative contrivance :(

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yummy, plenty of interesting lore reveals in this chapter. Was the bit at the end a historical record, or is the manga set in that timeframe and I just never realized?

Whatever's behind Denji's secret door better be truly insane, because he's way out of his depth if he wants to go toe to toe with the Gun Devil or Makima.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
GUN IS BEST!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just realized that the gun devil's initial salvo may have been to deprive makima of any human sacrifices she could use for her contracts

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Yummy, plenty of interesting lore reveals in this chapter. Was the bit at the end a historical record, or is the manga set in that timeframe and I just never realized?

Whatever's behind Denji's secret door better be truly insane, because he's way out of his depth if he wants to go toe to toe with the Gun Devil or Makima.

It is indeed set in 96/97. In the flashback to the first Gun Devil attack, it says 13 years ago on November 18th and you see a calendar that puts it on a friday. Which is the case in 1983.
The cars all look the part and I don't think I've seen any mobile phones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Denji threw down with someone powered up by a primal devil specifically to kill Makima using the power of horniness stupidity LIGHT, and he kicked her rear end.

People fear Devils, but Devils fear crazy, and Denji's repeatedly proven he's got that in weapons grade.

(He's also apparently immune to Makima's main powers, which is important to the balance of these things.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

NowonSA posted:

I actually thought it was earlier since the USSR is still kicking around, but I guess it's just survived longer subbing the gun devil for nukes.

Dunno if it's true, but I read that the town the Gun Devil attacks this chapter is the mangaka's home town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
do you think Devils are scared of Chainsaw because the Evil Dead franchise exists in-universe? i'm serious