Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

do you think Devils are scared of Chainsaw because the Evil Dead franchise exists in-universe? i'm serious

What if he's not the chainsaw devil at all? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

McTimmy posted:

What if he's not the chainsaw devil at all? :tinfoil:

Pochita is the chainsaw devil, but Denji is secretly the human devil. This gives him the properties of a human, so he can bond with another devil. :tinfoil:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Pochita is a Husqvarna, Denji is a Stihl.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The first chainsaws were used to chop down Californian redwoods in 1905. Denji is the Artificial Climate Change Devil.

Also, I feel we should be paying more attention to the fact that the most important person in the world to a guy with serious blood-loss issues is the Blood Devil. Power is going to end up as Denji's circulatory system.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

The first chainsaws were used to chop down Californian redwoods in 1905. Denji is the Artificial Climate Change Devil.

Also, I feel we should be paying more attention to the fact that the most important person in the world to a guy with serious blood-loss issues is the Blood Devil. Power is going to end up as Denji's circulatory system.

It is time for the fusion dance to appear again, is what you're saying

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It is time for the fusion dance to appear again, is what you're saying

I feel like 'fusion dance' will be a grotesquely inappropriate description for however that comes about.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Darth Walrus posted:

So the blood perpetual motion machine that was prototyped against the Eternity Devil will achieve it's true form?

Their dream of winning the nobel prize will finally be achieved :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Except that Power still has problems with blood supply, as seen with Operation Super Smart's failure due in part to her getting all anemic. Power can manipulate blood, but she can't create it, so Denji wouldn't get much benefit.

I'm not sure she's the most important person to Denji either, even ignoring Poochita. Yes, he turned down Makima for her, and she's definitely up there, but an important recurring thing for Denji is that he's a sucker for girls in trouble, completely independent of his horniness. In chapter 2, he offers to throw away everything for a girl he just met. Reze can't get him to leave for love or his own benefit, but when she's in trouble, he'll toss everything away on his own initiative, despite her saying he's an idiot for it. And he went "Woof" for Makima when she asked him to save her.

Denji helping Power at the price of his greatest desires is character development for him, but it's right in line with what he's done before for people who aren't Power.

(Small, probably unrelated and irrelevant but interesting thing I had pointed out? Denji gave Makima a command before she ever gave him one. And she obeyed. Don't know if it means anything... but it is interesting.)

Edit: Okay, looked up the first chapter again, and I'm escalating this to "relevant". Makima asks Denji a question in bold (similar to her commands in the most recent chapter). Denji, instead of giving an answer, tells Makima to hold him (literally, "抱かせて").

Makima's initial reaction panel is shock. But when she hugs him, she's smiling, looking as happy as we've ever seen her. (And then she finds out he's human, which is a pretty good indicator she didn't set Denji up to be the Chainsaw Devil, as well as suggesting that she can't make hybrids.)

Yeah, this might not be the Rosetta stone to Denji and Makima's dynamic, but there's no way that something so rife in implications is irrelevant.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 28, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like 'fusion dance' will be a grotesquely inappropriate description for however that comes about.

Correct

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I actually thought it was earlier since the USSR is still kicking around, but I guess it's just survived longer subbing the gun devil for nukes.

Dunno if it's true, but I read that the town the Gun Devil attacks this chapter is the mangaka's home town.

Yikes, that's a heck of a homage to do. Good catches on the initial Denji/Makima dynamic too, that certainly seems very relevant to me and if he is Makima-proof that's a bit of an equalizer. She still presumably has access to boatloads of contracts that let her you know, survive being shot in the head, kill people entirely remotely (with some human sacrifice assistance), and turn into rats, but if he's immune to the mind control factor that helps his odds a lot. It seems like to get around that you need Gun Devil/Darkness devil levels of strength.

I'm also curious what downsides or limits there may be to Makima's main power, as I'm sure we've seen a lot of situations where she was present and could have solved a problem/ended a fight with that alone.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Denji is so dumb that no mind controlling power will ever affect him. If commanded he'd just do whatever is on his mind at the time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The series is going to end with humanity wiped out and denji finally loses his virginity to makima

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The series will end with a giant space tree.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Real Cool Catfish posted:

The series will end with a giant space tree.

It will end with Episode One being canceled.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
My ideas for devils:

Loss of autonomy devil

Boredom devil

Devil devil

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darth Walrus posted:

They will perform the DBZ fusion dance perfectly. Pause for a beat. Denji's circulatory system rips itself out of his body and is replaced by Power, still in the pose.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
So does that head design mean that the Gun Devil is a hybrid? Because Chainsaw, Katana, Quanxi/Crossbow? and Bomb all have that exact same head structure: a weapon plus a mouth full of jagged teeth.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, there was an interview with Fujimoto done by his editor just recently.

Not the most in depth, and it's all in Japanese, but it touches on a bunch of things, including Fujimoto's focus on facial expressions.

(Seriously, there's no way it's unimportant that Makima looks sad when killing Reze. Makima almost never looks unhappy when murdering people. It's one of her favorites!)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That scene and the chapter of Denji and Makima at the movies kinda make me think Makima had a similar past to him and Reze. I know the most common interpretation of the movie scene is that Makima was faking to manipulate Denji but it's so unlike how she usually is I feel it's got to be significant, same with Reze's death.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That scene and the chapter of Denji and Makima at the movies kinda make me think Makima had a similar past to him and Reze. I know the most common interpretation of the movie scene is that Makima was faking to manipulate Denji but it's so unlike how she usually is I feel it's got to be significant, same with Reze's death.

I've seen that too, and it doesn't sing.

In the narrative, Makima rarely fakes emotion. The smiles that comes before Madoka quit and after Kishibe calls her out are argument enough for that. It's also deeply weird as a way to manipulate Denji. She'd have to know in advance he'd be emotional at the tenth movie, and would be passing up all the obvious levers to keep Denji where she had him already. The same easy levers that Reze used immediately after, too. It requires her to both know everything and to not use what she knows, despite this whole thing being designed as a manipulation. (As a side note, Makima's spent way more time being dealing with the unexpected than people talking about her having planned everything seem to remember. )

More importantly, though, there's the meta level. The "why did the author write this" level. And on that level, the faked tears are a pretty odd choice. It's a whole chapter to say that Makima is sketchy and manipulative, something already covered by almost every other chapter she's in. It's also throwing away the first (and so far, only) time we've seen Makima (noted for her limited emotional responses) cry to say the same thing again.

If we don't actually get anything new, then the chapter's a waste of time, and Chainsaw Man is a manga that does not waste time.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Fire Punch author would never have someone fake crying at a movie.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Is Makima a hybrid or a devil? From her actions there could be an argument for either

The ridiculous number of beers she had without getting intoxicated could suggest that she either can't get drunk or she is no longer capable of it. Alternatively, she may have lost her sense of taste or something.

The movies could be her either trying to understand human emotions or she's trying to induce them because she's no longer capable of feeling, possibly due to a contract?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://imgur.com/a/8e5Wjro

Speedscan translation out.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

:stare:

god drat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Staggy posted:

:stare:

god drat

So, going to wait for the official to say anything for sure, and I've seen people insert names as gags, but...

One of the listed names in this one is Aki Hayakawa.

Guess he really did change the future?

Also, interesting that Makima had contracts with Tendo and Sawatari. Wonder if Akane attacked Makima to rebel against her control... or because she was being controlled.

At minimum, it explains why she was so quick to go "This is EXACTLY what Makima murdering people looks like."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Fat_Cow posted:

https://imgur.com/a/8e5Wjro

Speedscan translation out.

Makima is best.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Makima is literally the RPG Munchkin Devil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did the artist forget that Aki still has 1 arm?
Also I guess the punishment devil is how Makima killed the Chinese devil hunter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Predictaboo!

That counter attack. :aaa: Move over darkness devil, that's some insane poo poo.

It also appears Aki lost an arm in 1 panel.

Edit: Dang it RAthat beat me to it. :(

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Looks like someone important "died". 2nd column, 6th name Aki

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if once you're contracted(and say you give her everything) with Makima your life can't be "taken" since she owns it. That would explain how the snake lady and the other 2 devil hunters are there, with contracts intact. Alternatively Makima can use corpses to make contracts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still wondering if I'm gonna be right: Aki dies horribly but Makima effectively "saves" him through her weird domination powers/contracts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
jfc this manga really knows how to ramp up the excitement

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
makima already used a dead guy for a contract, tolka and hell devil. the exact mechanism remains to be explained. i'm betting gun shrugged off that combo attack

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Foolish gun devil, Makima already shrugged off a headshot earlier.

I think the gun devil got wrecked. That 20% is back to the scrap heap.

Snake girl had her head stitched back on. Weird.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So the only thing not hit by the three immediately activated ability are adult women born in April? Oddly specific.

Everything in last chapter happened immediately, one second later it starts moving towards Makima. Three seconds later it stops having covered an unknown distance, but it’s no longer floating above the sea.

When the devil mashup attacks it, 7 seconds have passed. Can’t wait to see what sorta poo poo goes down in the last 5 seconds.

This manga is awesome.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 4, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Official translation

So this is only 20% of the gun devil? And something killed it at 100%? I feel like the power levels in this manga are gonna get nuts. Also I guess that’s why it’s abilities seem incomplete. At 100% presumably it can just instashoot everyone in the head and heart.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Uh... I don't think Aki has any legs anymore, in addition to losing his other arm:

Everyone else has shoes or a long skirt, but Aki doesn't.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Seems symbolically interesting that while the chains of domination go through the victims' hearts as you'd metaphorically expect, the anchor point is Makima's... stomach? womb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The phrase "antemortem" doesn't exactly bode well for those characters.