Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wondering why chainsaw and his heart was so sought after and considered so powerful is something you know from the infinity fight early on. I assume most people like myself wondered why.

Then you wonder if maybe his strength comes from devils fearing him not humans because are chainsaws really that scary? Angel basically confirms that at the end of the bomb arc, when he says many devils last memory before death in Hell was of a chainsaw. He also confirms how devils are immortal through rebirth when they die.

Then future warns us that there is the devil devils fear the most and he’ll appear soon . So the reveal that chainsaw can permanently kill other devils feels pretty solid to me! And pays off all those questions form early in the manga till then. C- must do better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also Makima doesn't have her own contracts with devils im pretty sure, instead she forcibly uses the contracts of her subordinates. It was Kurose or Tendo's she was using (punishment) to squish those people. And they died when she faced off with Gun.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Alright then. In order...

1) That wasn't what Makima wanted. Or at least, it was a means, not an end. What Makima wanted, beginning to end, was someone to love her without being forced to, an equal relationship. She was getting rid of all the bad things in the world to brute force her way there, making a world where people would have no reason to hate her, where she had done so much for people that she's beloved without controlling anyone. (Or Chainsaw Man could eat her. That was fine too. It's kind of disturbing to realize how much she and Denji were on the same wavelength.)

Of course, it wasn't until the last chapter Pochita talked about her actual motives, but those were constantly hinted at with the movie and her response to Denji's initial "Hold me".

2)Yeah, it felt out of nowhere, but with the Soviet Union stuff, the lack of computers, and a lot of other 'huh, that's weird' elements of the world, it definitely felt planned for, with the lack of direct hints being to give a full on "The gently caress?" feeling when it was revealed. That whole chunk of manga was weeks of the audience being completely off balance.

3) Power went from being a selfish coward to giving her life for Denji. Aki went from being consumed by revenge to abandoning it to protect his new family. And Denji climbed all the way up the hierarchy of needs, rung by painful rung. Thinking he's in the same place at the beginning as the end is a very odd prospective.

4) Using the power on Chainsaw Man before weakening him would have failed, because he's pretty much an unstoppable murder blender moving at multi-mach speeds. Slow long range attacks are a poor bet. After weakening him, Makima needed to get a kill that was personally satisfying, eventually going to hand to hand, the root of all combat. And Denji won by being a clever bastard, not by being stronger. Makima didn't even think Denji was relevant right until he'd carved into her like a Christmas turkey, which is the only reason he didn't get killed in seconds like most people who fought Makima.

Agree to disagree on…all points except the later half of your first point. I didn’t connect with any of the characters so that probably didn’t help.

I know it sucks having someone barge into a thread and poo poo out on a good time so I’ll bow out.

I am still looking forward to the anime because the fight scenes were awesome.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Agree to disagree on…all points except the later half of your first point. I didn’t connect with any of the characters so that probably didn’t help.

I know it sucks having someone barge into a thread and poo poo out on a good time so I’ll bow out.

I am still looking forward to the anime because the fight scenes were awesome.

it's ok to not like things. My friend shared a similar opinion to yours about CSM, especially the connecting to characters part.

My immediate reaction was to call him a dumb speedreader but it seems to be a common opinion, some people just bounce right off Denji. Without that connection, the manga does seem pretty shallow even with the awesome cinematic panelling/action.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I really dug the insanity (Defeating the dark empowered doll person by lighting himself on fire.).
I dug how Denji grew from "I want to touch boobies!" to "I want to be an average and I'm now aware of how my action affect my surroundings" with all the stops in between. I dug how he, dumb as a stack of bricks and clumsy as he could, he was still inherently a good person.
Like the moment where he tries to cheer up Aki by having a nut kicking competition using the katana devil.

What I didn't like was the asspull of "chainsaw utterly destroys what it eats."
You can say it's foreshadowed, but that doesn't make it any less connected to what a chainsaw is and does. Bomb lady was flying around using explosions, throwing explosive boogers and spit. But it's not like she was suddenly able to command people to kill themselves by ripping their heads off or if she sat on something that it would completely disappear.
Flamethrower dude was flying around with flames and shooting fire.
Arrow lady was crapping out arrows and using arrowheads as daggers.
Katana devil could slash hard and do the anime iai teleport slash.
It all "makes sense".
Except Chainsaw.

It was a wild ride. :allears:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TriffTshngo posted:

introducing a new element or detail to a story is not an "asspull"

this is the way shounen readers interpret everything lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there had to be some reason why demons were afraid of another demon when they are all quasi-immortal. demons simply had no reason to fear death by violence, whether by chainsaw or otherwise. so instead, the chainsaw demon had an aberrant ability completely unrelated to chainsaws. it did kind of come out of nowhere, but it was consistent with the rest of the story and setting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While I love the concept of erasing concepts via CSM eating them, yeah it doesn't make a whole ton of sense. Like, if the Dementia Devil was the one who erased concepts, cool I get it. Or even the Gluttony Devil or something, more focused on the "eating" aspect. But neither erasing nor eating have anything to do with chainsaws. But the concept is cool enough that tbh I'm willing to shrug it off.

That being said,

cuntman.net posted:

sometimes i wonder if makima was bullshitting about chainsaw man being able to erase concepts. i know the fact the world is so different implies that she isnt but still,

is a wild take I hadn't considered before, and now I'm wondering if it is in fact the case. I wonder if Chainsaw Man is just a murder devil that really likes murdering devils, and it's some OTHER devil that actually is the one erasing concepts, since we never actually see a concept / devil get erased.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Erasing poo poo from reality is absolutely a thing chainsaws can do, you just don’t realize it because the concept is erased so you forget.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I don't really look at the chainsaw devil's ability as an asspull, because while not specifically foreshadowed as the chainsaw devils ability, it was a driving question of the chainsaw devils power and the reason other devils feared it. So you have this background plot thread of "whats up with the chainsaw devil" and then you get an answer. The answer doesnt need to be 100% foreshadowed. It is not like you got, within 1 chapter, "all the devils are scared of chainsaw and the reason is X".

Honestly a lot of the plotting of chainsaw man is great, because it builds on itself very well. Like the existence of Denji as chainsaw man and you think oh is he just a unique shonen protagonist? But then you get an answer that no, there are actually other hybrids as well and its a big fun shock (especially Bomb's reveal which was like ohhhhh shi)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why is every devil afraid of the guy called The Erasing Concepts Devil, ah I’ll read on and hope this mystery is explained

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't believe anyone could dislike Power tbh

She'd sacrifice a human to save her cat and that makes her the best

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jerkface posted:

I don't really look at the chainsaw devil's ability as an asspull, because while not specifically foreshadowed as the chainsaw devils ability, it was a driving question of the chainsaw devils power and the reason other devils feared it. So you have this background plot thread of "whats up with the chainsaw devil" and then you get an answer. The answer doesnt need to be 100% foreshadowed. It is not like you got, within 1 chapter, "all the devils are scared of chainsaw and the reason is X".

Honestly a lot of the plotting of chainsaw man is great, because it builds on itself very well. Like the existence of Denji as chainsaw man and you think oh is he just a unique shonen protagonist? But then you get an answer that no, there are actually other hybrids as well and its a big fun shock (especially Bomb's reveal which was like ohhhhh shi)
I guess that thematically, bombs, knives, and guns are designed to kill animals and people, while chainsaws are tools that destroy things. Apart from a few horror movies, the common use of a chainsaw is to transform forests into stuff humans like.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

So odds on which remaining horseman will be the main villian of part 2? My money's on War but it could just be all three

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was always confused by the four horsemen comment because she wasn't referring to the humanoid weapons. Also did he fight gun. I like how ambiguous and fuzzy a lot of stuff is. Like were Sawatari and co. hired by Makima. I guess that's the implication maybe when you know everything. Though if she explicitly says it was her I'm jus stupid lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there had to be some reason why demons were afraid of another demon when they are all quasi-immortal. demons simply had no reason to fear death by violence, whether by chainsaw or otherwise. so instead, the chainsaw demon had an aberrant ability completely unrelated to chainsaws. it did kind of come out of nowhere, but it was consistent with the rest of the story and setting.

My personal, and needlessly stupid, theory on something that didn't really need expanding is that it started as a bluff since otherwise what kept other bigger, stronger, devils from just loving up the new chainsaw guy; who's afraid of chainsaws besides trees and the occasional lumber jack? But then much like batman all it took were a few small time clowns to be utterly terrified of the thought and suddenly whoops, now everyone's afraid of this weirdo in the clown suit which only makes his job easier; so once devils believed he actually could wipe them from existence, the chainsaw devil could.

But really, chainsaws are just cool and the series would be less cool if it was about like. Explodeman and his explode devil exploding everyone out of existence.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
chainsawman has the properties of both chains and saws

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like 'why is the Chainsaw Devil so loving scary' is one of those dangling plot hooks for Part 2, alongside Denji's quest to find the new Blood Devil. It's certainly something we're likely to get more information on when Denji books a particularly durable babysitter and goes on a trip to hell.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CodfishCartographer posted:

is a wild take I hadn't considered before, and now I'm wondering if it is in fact the case. I wonder if Chainsaw Man is just a murder devil that really likes murdering devils, and it's some OTHER devil that actually is the one erasing concepts, since we never actually see a concept / devil get erased.

The final conflict is him eating someone because it's the only way to get through their super immortality. They are not signaling "What if something else is eating concepts, like in a strange twist with no foreshadowing?".

Also the actual blade parts of saws, including chainsaws, are called teeth. In essence all a chainsaw does is destroy things by 'eating' them. That's it, that's the reference. Much like how Pochita looks like a Japanese brand of chainsaws in dog form, it's all just chainsaw references. He has the ascended form of chainsaw powers, that's all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like 'why is the Chainsaw Devil so loving scary' is one of those dangling plot hooks for Part 2, alongside Denji's quest to find the new Blood Devil. It's certainly something we're likely to get more information on when Denji books a particularly durable babysitter and goes on a trip to hell.

If he goes to hell I hope we get more of the primal devils, I want more Darkness Devil-level stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mulva posted:

The final conflict is him eating someone because it's the only way to get through their super immortality. They are not signaling "What if something else is eating concepts, like in a strange twist with no foreshadowing?".

Also the actual blade parts of saws, including chainsaws, are called teeth. In essence all a chainsaw does is destroy things by 'eating' them. That's it, that's the reference. Much like how Pochita looks like a Japanese brand of chainsaws in dog form, it's all just chainsaw references. He has the ascended form of chainsaw powers, that's all.

He didn't actually erase Makima though, since he ate her as Denji and not Chainsawman.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RatHat posted:

He didn't actually erase Makima though, since he ate her as Denji and not Chainsawman.

Yes, but they are still making the tie. It's the apotheosis of Denji from "Child forced into hunting devils" to the finale, when he's truly inherited the title of Hero of Hell, Chainsaw Man. In the end, when he's battered and broken, he still defeats one of the Four Horseman because he's just that good. And he does it by eating her, not as an act of destruction but as an act of love. Twisted, hosed up love, but there we are. And the result is....that she's reborn, as an innocent child, with the chance to get what she always wanted. And in growing like that, he also gave Pochita what *he* always wanted.

e: Really it's a tight little story, and the only real lingering threads are "Single Dad Denji yes please" and "Go get Power, stupid.".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 15, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I always assumed the other devils were scared of chainsawman because the author liked evil dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i flunked out posted:

I always assumed the other devils were scared of chainsawman because the author liked evil dead.

He's been asked about that in interviews. He's a fan of Evil Dead, but a bigger inspiration was Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
More like Chainsaw Mansacre

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I looked up the Chainsaw Wikipedia entry because I was curious to how long could the Chainsaw devil could have existed. I'm surprised to say it goes back to the late 18th century with its origins as a horrifying to think about bone cutting surgical implement called an osteotome. The first wood cutting chainsaws go back to the early 20th century.

In regards to the film discussion it is my personal theory that chainsaw centric slasher films played a role in empowering the chainsaw devil. The author does like invoking cinema.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Folks, the newest physical release of chainsaw man got to my favorite part (hell). Chainsaw man ftw

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sleng Teng posted:

Chainsaw man ftw

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Part 2 coming this summer, get hyped

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:worship:

going to be epic for sure

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anime confirmed for 2022 as well (was it already? idr)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsQZNTFfxc

Hype rising
:woop:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 18, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
2022 gonna be a great year for chainsaws 🙏

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sneak preview! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1YQS6fUdE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My friend is reading CSM for the ifrst time so I've been following her progress but went ahead and reread Chainsaw vs the human weapons again also. Despite Pochita mentioning only ever wanting a hug I only put together what was happening this time. I'd forgotten Makima saying anyone who asks for and gets Chainsaw's help dies then you see CSM leap on and shred her. It's so obvious but it was only then that it clicked for me it's because he's trying to hug people after he saves them lol.

Also when I first read the manga I guess the reason Tolka returned everyone from hell was regret/fear after being betrayed by his master or something. Now rereading that section for the first time it's so clear that Makima is using her ability to activate other peoples contracts to do it. Neat!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
My one regret about this whirlwind of epicness of a manga is that I forgot so, so many names of the characters that appear for like 5-10 chapters and die.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/findomearle/status/1476299004573016071?s=20

:smith:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Show me Chainsaw Man's ancestor, Macuahuitl Man.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJUbLM8coho

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Baron La Croix posted:

Show me Chainsaw Man's ancestor, Macuahuitl Man.
Check out Maya and the Three. The Aztec gods intend to kidnap and sacrifice the king's daughter, so she sets out to kill them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the Chainsaw Man light novel is getting fan translated, and I now understand the Japanese reviews a bit better.

One thing that kept being brought up was a thing you see all the time in fanfic. If a character has a catchphrase or an iconic line, the original might have them say it a couple times, enough to show that a trait exists, then it would move on. Fanfics, meanwhile, have a tendency to bring up those traits over and over, because they aren't as confidant in getting the voice right and need to remind the reader that this is the thing they like.

In the first part of the novel, Power not flushing, Power hating vegetables, and Power lying about a pre-existing appointment when Makima asks her to do something all came up in the first few pages.