Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, huh.

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed Makima treating Reze differently than Quanxi.

Makima's kill on both was a direct parallel to how they killed Denji. Hard to believe she'd go with that kind of move if she didn't care about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima's dog

Chainsaw Man: A girl and her dog and his dog.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, huh.

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed Makima treating Reze differently than Quanxi.

Makima's kill on both was a direct parallel to how they killed Denji. Hard to believe she'd go with that kind of move if she didn't care about him.

Alternatively: How her sacrifice dies influences how her target dies. Denji can die over and over for infinite Sacrifice Ammunition. Which doesn't preclude the caring per se but does... seem like a possibility to me? IDK if it holds up over multiple instances of her using whatever Remote Murder Devil she has.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1265405605784645632?s=20

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm intrigued but expecting disappointment, there's a lot here that's not going to translate well to animation without a serious budget

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

think the studio and how much they care matters way more than the budget

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say time-planning is as big or bigger a factor than money.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't matter how good the anime is because the screen will be blacked out most of the time. like, nothing denji ever does meets broadcast standards.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bad rear end! Which studio do y’all think would do it best?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bad rear end! Which studio do y’all think would do it best?
To be honest I dunno because I can't remember who is where anymore as far as directors/designers/key animators go.

If this was like 15+ years ago I'd say Madhouse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it doesn't matter how good the anime is because the screen will be blacked out most of the time. like, nothing denji ever does meets broadcast standards.

If Interspecies Reviewers aired uncensored on some stations, Chainsaw Man will be fine.

(Besides, I'm pretty sure Chapter 39 is perfectly fine by any reasonable standard.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest question: How the heck are they going to get around the fact that Denji literally gets killed, hacked to pieces and thrown in a dumpster halfway through the first chapter in a way that doesn't feel half-assed? Or the fact that he goes absolutely HAM upon resurrecting?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah getting around the gore factor is going to be tough. I've definitely seen some anime that didn't mind showing graphic and bloody violence and the occasional boob, so if they broadcast it through those outlets (I'd assume late night T.V., but that's just a guess) then that's the best way to accurately translate the material.

Animation house/quality always seems like a roll of the dice to me, but hey something in the mix almost always turns out looking really good. I'm happy for the mangaka as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oh man, the waiting time for the Sharknado is going to be so painful.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope we get something like Dorohedoro instead of the adaptation of Kengan Ashura.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Oh man, the waiting time for the Sharknado is going to be so painful.

I'm looking forward to seeing anime watchers go through that delicate and short lived stage of Chainsaw Man fandom where people like characters without realizing that they can and will be brutally murdered at any time.

Also seeing anime watchers realize they didn't fear Makima enough.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 27, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Good jujutsu kaisen adaptation
Good chainsawman adaptation

Choose one

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

yum posted:

Choose one

I choose
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1265408564002086912?s=19

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fire Punch is basically an anime (or rather, something filmed with a camera) awkwardly crammed into manga format already, so budget aside, adaptation shouldn't be that hard.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

holy poo poo I am way more amazed at loving Fire Punch getting an animu than Chainsaw Man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yum posted:

Choose one

You monster, making me choose like this
Good Chainsawman.
Through gritted teeth

Though the upcoming Juju adaptation doesnt look too good, they just simplified the art and changed up the whole style of motion. its already looking not great.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Holy poo poo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You monster, making me choose like this
Good Chainsawman.
Through gritted teeth

Though the upcoming Juju adaptation doesnt look too good, they just simplified the art and changed up the whole style of motion. its already looking not great.

I'm a bit more optimistic for the Juju adaption since it's by Mappa and there didn't seem to be much CGI from the trailer. But I choose Chainsawman as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why in the world would you adapt Fire Punch?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Because I want to experience that poo poo in motion

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Why in the world would you adapt Fire Punch?
For shits 'n giggles, of course! :v:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, maybe the weird confusing spectacle of fire punch would work better as an anime.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yonkou Production's anime announcements were full of poo poo.

Anyways. Popularity poll results. Number 7 is amazing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
POWER!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Is...is number 7 the car? That's awesome.

I hope he doesn't start overusing Power though. :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Is...is number 7 the car? That's awesome.

I hope he doesn't start overusing Power though. :ohdear:

Yep. And number 8 is Kobeni. It's perfect.

As for the worry, Fujimoto probably had some idea how popular Power was when having her sit out the whole Reze arc. He probably isn't purely driven by the whims of the audience, especially given how close the numbers are by Shonen Jump poll standards.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
This means that Reze may return? Makima is probably keeping Reze and Quanxi in a basement somewhere

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fujimoto is so weird. It's like he's loving with editorial.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Fabricated posted:

"Fujimoto! You CAN'T use your color page to show a lesbian orgy!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulderman posted:

"Fujimoto! You CAN'T use your color page to show a lesbian orgy!"
lol wait until you see this next chapter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Well, his editor is Shihei Lin.

Apparently, he's told Fujimoto that he can do whatever he wants, it's cool. Fujimoto's just following orders.

(He also sent Tatsuya Endo to work as an assistant on Fire Punch to learn from the whole thing, which is interesting given the relative experiences levels.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, the SPY x FAMILY dude worked as an assistant for Fujimoto?! I knew he had worked with the Blue Exorcist mangaka, but... wow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wait, the SPY x FAMILY dude worked as an assistant for Fujimoto?! I knew he had worked with the Blue Exorcist mangaka, but... wow.

Yep! Got brought up in an interview about Spy X Family.

The really interesting bit is that he was in his late 30s at the time, while Fujimoto was just 23 or so. And this was after Endo had run two serializations, while all Fujimoto had done was one shots. Kinda wonder what the line of reasoning was there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mulderman posted:

Is that 35k votes for power in 1 because isn't that an absolutely insane number of votes for a first poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep! Got brought up in an interview about Spy X Family.

The really interesting bit is that he was in his late 30s at the time, while Fujimoto was just 23 or so. And this was after Endo had run two serializations, while all Fujimoto had done was one shots. Kinda wonder what the line of reasoning was there.
Editor: "Ok, listen, there's this lovely brat obsessed with western movies..."
Endo: SAY NO MORE