Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I use my Viz sub more than I use my Netflix sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And you know Fujimoto is gonna kill him because he promised to basically

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Commitment devil

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This manga is so rad

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Power owns.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Archenteron posted:

I lost the ability to take the Darkness Devil seriously when I saw a comment that its stance reminded them of Carl from ATHF
e:
"eyyy chainsaw man, it's frickin dark over hea"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing that sucks is that Denji's Chainsaw Devil form almost guarantees it'll be CG.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Denji's brain is so powerful

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1265405605784645632?s=20

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bad rear end! Which studio do y’all think would do it best?
To be honest I dunno because I can't remember who is where anymore as far as directors/designers/key animators go.

If this was like 15+ years ago I'd say Madhouse.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why in the world would you adapt Fire Punch?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fujimoto is so weird. It's like he's loving with editorial.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulderman posted:

"Fujimoto! You CAN'T use your color page to show a lesbian orgy!"
lol wait until you see this next chapter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The future devil thinks Aki's death is gonna be interesting enough that he gives him his power for essentially free, and Fujimoto is almost certainly going to deliver.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that will probably be the actual sad thing about Aki's inevitable death will be that given how Fujimoto doesn't tend to go for obvious emotional beats- Denji and Power will react to it how they normally react to the deaths of their comrades: a mixture of indifference/mild annoyance.

Basically Denji and Power will likely be "Hey rear end in a top hat! I kinda liked that guy, he cooked for us!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Denji will open the door for another reason and end up being the person who kills Aki.

Future Devil said it'd be horrible and a chainsaw isn't a great way to go.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Fujimoto and the mangaka of Hell's Paradise are doing a collaboration of some sort in the future as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I doubt Fujimoto would do a kind of happy twist on it, but Aki giving himself entirely to Makima in a contract could allow Aki to die as horribly as the future devil predicted but have it not stick because of contract BS.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still wondering if I'm gonna be right: Aki dies horribly but Makima effectively "saves" him through her weird domination powers/contracts

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Anyone that knows Fujimoto knew he was going to deliver on any promise he made.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Makima is just so powerful that when things go wrong she can brute-force things to as good a conclusion as remains possible. When viewed from the outside it really makes you look like you're in control because it's easier to believe that you planned everything out instead of simply being so strong you can just force a victory.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm guessing that even if Makima doesn't have the ability to directly control Denji, that she is actually legit good at controlling people through regular, old-fashioned manipulation. She tends to show up to interact with Denji whenever he's at his most uncertain or confused- I wouldn't say that she has said anything patently untrue (if anything what she says is pretty nice/helpful- about how bad experiences are just part of experiencing new things, movies being able to change your life, etc) but she definitely tries to keep him on rails.

Also, I can't believe I didn't think about this but it's incredibly obvious: Makima cannot control Denji's heart, because Pochita is his heart. Her chains when she goes full control mode seem to attach to her thrall's hearts.

Also checked the first chapter for fun- I think here is when Makima realizes she cannot command Denji:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HenryEx posted:

It's set two years before Phantom Menace released and the whole manga so far is a set up to prevent the time line where the Star Wars prequels come out
There is a non-zero chance this is true

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Isn't it kind of amazing that Makima always seems to show up when Denji is at his most uncertain?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Makima likes dogs because they are unflinchingly loyal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only question I really have left about Makima is what drives her. Is she like all the other devils who're driven by the nature of the fear they embody, or does she have a more constructed endgame/plan? Is she a dog chasing cars (just dominating because that's what she does), or is she more actualized and her goal has more to it?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well it's running out of loving characters at this rate so I'm assuming.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah this mangaka understands the balance between seriousness and levity. Then uses that interplay to toy with the reader's expectations

or put another way: this manga manages to not jump shark. when it could easily disappear up its' own rear end
the protagonist literally jumped on a shark

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/Kai33oken/status/1306994944167510019?s=20

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/GumGumRequiem/status/1304142217959763968?s=20

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest part is that when we saw her actually in action she was insanely dexterous.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is so great

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We're seeing the version of the Chainsaw Devil that Makima knew right now, and I think that's supposed to be there so we can see what Denji will turn that into. We've seen Denji, we're seeing what Pochita was, and we're probably going to see the proper synthesis at the end of this when/if he properly defeats Makima or self-actualizes and breaks her control.

One version I could see happening is Denji gaining a feeling of real self worth (meaning Makima cannot control him) and just walking away from all of this. Makima says she'll destroy any happiness he finds, Denji is like "lol I'll just beat you every single time you try" and does so. That seems like that would be the ultimate defeat for Makima because she's cool with either having Denji under her thumb, or even him eating her and erasing her from existence. Real defeat would be her being forced to understand she can never ever have him and living forever knowing that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't hold out much hope for a Chainsaw Man anime- it reeks of something that'll get subpar CG.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chainsaw Man isn't even shaping up to be a very long series, so I hope they just find a good studio for it. I can't think of any studio off the top of my head that could nail it to be honest because it'll be weird seeing Fujimoto's style simplified into fewer/cleaner lines to facilitate animation

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is getting the ongoing treatment which is why 80% of it looks like trash.

I forget the main animation director's name, but he's really good and it sucks that the ongoing format makes it look so bad. When big stuff comes up he puts in a ton of personal effort and has used a lot of techniques and stuff like Blender to make it as good as he can get away with, despite being understaffed and on a tight schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLykS2-lUvA

It makes the style kinda inconsistent (If you go digging for Black Clover's sakuga stuff- you'll notice a lot of very off-model designs and varying styles), but I admire the effort.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I could see that happening but a lot of the jump adaptions have been good recently. kimetsu no yaiba, jujutsu kaisen, and I hear promised neverland was good too
Visually Neverland was fine- adaption-wise it was okay. They removed 90% of the character's inner monologues which I think really takes away from it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like CSM would crash into the rocks if it went for even another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I am almost scared of what Fujimoto will do in Jump+