Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you set some awfully high expectations with a title like "Chainsaw Man" but dadgummit, it delivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that stupid fox

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Lol true but I guess they've more mythology about fox demons in Japan right? Regardless they need to stop relying on this mf.

all his remaining contractors are dead so that seems like a problem that'll solve itself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that stupid violence devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's hard to blame denji too much here, there are a limited number of immediately obvious things one can do with a chainsaw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reminder that sharks are basically enormous underwater puppies that are super curious about everything and unfortunately interact with most things by biting them with their many very sharp teeth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Also I'm pretty sure this is the future Sword Devil

that guy was already zombified so probably not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
power: "you seek to destroy me? weaklings. charlatans. you cannot begin to comprehend how loving stupid i am"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a dummy/toy devil is suitably disturbing for this guy, yes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I have no idea what is happening here.

the devil hunters after denji are all assembling

the guy with the devil harem is just settling into the region, the surviving shapeshifter is trying to take cover with the family of the guy he murdered/copied and is having second thoughts after power splattered his buddy, and the german "santa claus" devil hunter is creating an army of literal meat puppets in preparation for taking on denji

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

profileusername posted:

I don't remember if this has been mentioned so far but can there be multiple devils or fiends of the same type or are they all unique? Wondering since the one fiend with Quanxi resembled Power and wanted blood.

that useless dick Kon referred to his only successful meal as "a leech devil" and not "the leech devil" so it seems likely

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no wonder kon's such a prima donna, he's got a drat queue for people who want to form contracts with him

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his voice is annoying and he doesn't actually make a strong case for the comic itself beyond vague mutterings about "emotion"

i don't like this guy, eff this guy

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 22, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

profileusername posted:

So it is. If it didn't keep the katana guy down then Denji is probably relatively fine?

katana guy needed some kind of pick-me-up from sawatari, so denji may be in a spot of trouble here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so the official translation's phrasing of the Hell Devil's command has the plan make a lot more sense: send every living thing in the mall to hell

she got tolka to kill denji, dolled him up, and then summoned the hell devil before denji could re-rez, which means that the mall is now probably just a crater with denji's still-dead body awaiting retrieval

meanwhile she can continue to pick off the remaining hunters in hell using tolka as her proxy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it also matches the old man's request - she needs kids to call down the Hell Devil so she wanted to restock her supply after this was all over

she probably uses the surviving one as another "apprentice," which calls her age into question, but this lady's so packed with devil mojo i wouldn't be surprised if the grim reaper's scared to go near her

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someday i wish to be so metal that i spontaneously generate a procession of dimensionally bisected astronauts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh wow I was kinda expecting primal fear devils above Gun but wasn't expecting them soon. And goddamn that is is some trippy metal poo poo.

Got a pet theory given Makima's thing with rats she's connected to the plague/disease/filth devil who'd probably also be in that weight class.

makima's definitely running multiple contracts, my money's still on the Heights Devil as the one who helped her kill sawatari's boys

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saw it pointed out that when denji strikes the Darkness Devil, all the surrounding spooky men are pointing directly at his chainsaw

devils really don't like that thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

yum posted:

Ironic how Aki has the power of the Future Devil but he's completely obsessed with the past. Maybe the Devil inhabiting his right eye will get pissed about how his left eye is always reminiscing/being haunted by the past.

future devil is hooting and hollering about the awesomeness of its impending demise

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if there's a Death Devil and it ever meets denji then it's probably going to ask for this kid's autograph

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in this town
we call home
everyone hails to the PUMPKIN SONG

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm intrigued but expecting disappointment, there's a lot here that's not going to translate well to animation without a serious budget

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akiyama should give a dramatic speech about how he'll change fate through the power of determination

that's the future devil's favorite joke

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nT6ojWzxo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

It's perhaps not as absolute as the initial explanation made it seem either, there was that time when Kon didn't work for Aki, seemingly consequence free, after he annoyed the devil by making it eat something yucky

kon's outsourced himself to seemingly half the bureau so it might be some loophole where he's contracted to the entire organization rather than its individual members. he can gently caress you over personally as much as he pleases

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just realized that the gun devil's initial salvo may have been to deprive makima of any human sacrifices she could use for her contracts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
B R I T T L E B U L L E T

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Literally right before that he says he will give all of himself for any contract. Thats inconclusive to me. How can he be ordered to do something that he just said he'd do?

he said he'd do anything, which is a normal thing for someone to say in desperate circumstances. makima then compelled him to agree to a contract with her

it was strongly implied in the same chapter that he only felt any sort of loyalty for her in the first place due to her influence as the control devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the future devil had us all thinking he was interested in aki when he really just wanted a front-row seat to denji's misery

that zany trickster

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Apocron posted:

I thought the Future came across as wistful there. It pretended to be hype but in the end was melancholic. How did having it’s power help Aki out again? It seems like it helped him because it cared. Or it cane to care in the end.

it helped him because it's a giggling sadist, which was clear before it ever made its first actual appearance. its previous contracts robbed people of either their remaining lifespans or all of their other senses, but it gave aki its aid no strings attached just because it (like most devils) hates the chainsaw and delights in his pain

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blues drive monster played in a minor key

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

I can see only good things coming from this. - Future Devil

"denji. denji you've gotta let me in your eye. forget the contract. denji i will give you three dollars if you let me in your eye. don't ask questions. three dollars, denji. denji."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we still don't know what makima has done that is so terrible and terrifying that it would warrant sending the gun devil after her. she's enslaved and murdered some people, but not to any exceptional degree for a devil. i think we've seen reze kill more people than makima.

the president implies that she's angling to snuff out the human race's free will entirely. how she actually intends to do so is a mystery, but with enough prep time she could probably gather up enough contracts to accomplish just about anything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
remembered how this was described as evil FLCL and i totally heard the Brittle Bullet trigger-cock sound several times throughout this chapter

won't you crush this melancholy world

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Professorjuggalo posted:

What the hell am I saying denji is gonna wake up with pochita chained to makima next chapter

Edit: I will admit i haven’t seen a author taunt the audience like this since End of evangelion for what it’s worth, this chapter is just a victory lap for makima

But there’s no way this counts as the ‘normal life’ that pochita contracted on so at least makima can’t win from this

that's probably makima's ulterior motive, she wants to destroy denji's dreams to sever his contract with pochita and remove the final obstacle to whatever endgame she has in store

liking the continuation of the "evil(ler) haruko" vibe that fujimoto hinted at - in flcl haruko also encouraged naota's self-actualization as a means of making him reliant on her

ka-kiiiin~

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/BooDooPerson/status/1300543366938210304

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Killing Makima:
Plan A blow her up
Plan B shoot her
Plan C shoot her more
Plan D Summon devil

if she'd been successfully yanked into hell then Darkness probably would have been waiting and cracking all twenty of its knuckles for Round Two

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thoren posted:

Wait what happens if he eats the future devil?

everyone alive will have no future

nothing we're not already familiar with, i'm sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
last week: the chainsawman is a being of primordial aggression able to delete entire concepts from existence by eating them, and just tore his way out of hell en route to a confrontation with the incarnation of control, who wants to use him to further her own sinister plans

this week: ___________borger____________