Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope Chainsawman doesn't devolve into generic shonen like a lot of series have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chainsawman 44

Well that didn't last long. Hope our boy doesn't get depressed when he realizes everyone who approaches him only wants his heart.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LostRook posted:

She pulls her pin out of her neck, which makes me wonder if maybe bomb devil replaced a different part of her body like her brain. Sword guy changed by unsheathing his hand, right? Maybe she can get multiple powers if she keeps replacing body parts.

Well in the Mangastream translation of Chapter 36 katana guy says his heart is the katana devil. Anyone with access to the official translation mind checking to see what it says? Mangaplus+ only goes back 3 chapters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hmm, does Reze just happen to be Russian or has the gun devil taken over the Russian government?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Possibly important that Russia was hit the longest in the gun devil attacks too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fire and Lightning sure, but people aren't really scared of Water, Ice, Wind, and Earth. They'd have to be specific things, like the Typhoon devil. Earthquake, Blizzard, Tornado, ect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I mean there's an Eternity devil and a Future devil as separate entities so probably.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That was explicitly because he was also drinking it's blood the whole time. He ain't drinking blood, so yeah, Denji isn't his best self.

He was a perpetual motion machine!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth TNT posted:

I think she's a devil in a human corpse.
She can control all blood, but her own blood is significantly easier.
When the Katana devil first attacked she protested to helping one of the victims because it was to taxing for her to control someone else's blood.

She also has a huge brain with the highest iq ever

From what the manga has said all devilmen are devils in human corpses. Violence, Shark, Angel(this one might not be a devilman), and Power are the main ones we’ve seen.

Denji, the katana guy, and possibly Reze are different in that while at least some part of them is devil they retain their human selves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess maybe Makima's deal is she's contracted with tons of different devils?

Also hybrids are really weak to sneak attacks huh. They're effectively human before they activate their powers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chiasaur11 posted:

And then she doesn't cut off Reze's other hand, instead holding it as she lowers Reze to the ground. Which is interesting.

She was stopping Reze from pulling the pin on her neck and activating her powers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Angry Lobster posted:

You can read it from here as well, can't vouch for the quality of the translation though.

https://manganelo.com/chapter/ix917953/chapter_53

This presents a big problem then. Killing the gun devil will send it to Hell, and since it’s so strong it’ll probably kill a bunch of devils there and send them back to Earth. Unless they don’t retain their former strength and have to build it up from scratch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LostRook posted:

Quanxi is going to try to get Power in her harem, isn't she.

I think she’ll end up teaming up with Denji when she sees how he treats Power as a friend.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How exactly do you stab someone with a nail 3 times without them noticing? Can Denji not feel pain?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Worst doppelgänger ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow that cover page is quite something. Chainsawman continues to push the boundaries of what Shonen Jump will allow in their magazine.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Assessor of Maat posted:

i'm liking how the latest soon-to-be-dead flunky with the... bear devil powers? didn't even get to introduce themselves. good escalation of the joke

That's the Fox devil that's really popular for devil hunters to use.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

profileusername posted:

Definitely a lot going on. So Tolka's master was basically the real puppet master?

I...think so? I'm not 100% sure because this chapter was confusing. I guess the whole point of doing it was so they would sacrifice themselves to use the Hell Devil which needs to be done with "free will".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can’t wait for the Existential Dread devil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HerraS posted:

Welp everyone's loving dead

I suspect death in Hell might not be the same as death in the real world.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So looks like Makima is weaker than the Darkness devil but she can hold him off for a few seconds.

So I assume most of the fiends are probably still alive, and Aki is obviously alive, but I wonder how he’ll deal with having no arms. Is there a devil that can heal? I mean I guess he could get the, stitched back on but he doesn’t exactly have much time left.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

yum posted:

is Halloween still alive? She didn't look dollified

Yeah the dolls were holding her hostage. Normally fiends can’t be turned into dolls but I guess that doesn’t apply to corpses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Quick scan of chapter 69

https://m.imgur.com/a/bNReOXi

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

It would be pretty funny if Makima uses the revenge devil and that's why whenever we see her act it's in retaliation.

She did kill Quanxi the same way Quanxi killed Denji. And when those yakuza shot her on the train they were filled with holes afterwards.

It can’t be her only devil contract though, it doesn’t explain the vermin control stuff or what she did at the temple.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kobeni will be back as soon as she gets her next rent bill.

EDIT: How did Aki get an arm back? Was it just reattached? Also I thought healing with blood was something all devils could do but I guess it’s exclusive to hybrids and blood devils.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 29, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wark Say posted:

Remember that Aki is a human. He has contracts to two devils, but that's it. Power and Denji are the Fiend(a devil possessing a corpse) and Devil Hybrid (which are the more powerful ones from the looks of it, in account of just needing blood to keep going.

I was referring to the Angel devil apparently not being able to regenerate his arms.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Someone I didn't realize until I re-read: Denji's revelation about how "Ignorance is bliss" is something Quanxi said earlier in the story.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

At what point then does the devil consider the host dead and gently caress off back to hell? Are they just trapped forever in the human world?

For hybrids I guess when the brain is destroyed?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess the only thing that would permanently kill them is destroying every piece of their body? Though they only regenerate with blood so just keeping any pieces away from blood would eventually kill them when it rots away.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Using mind control to get people to accept contracts feels like cheating.
Anyway I guess Makima actually is a devil/fiend then? I don't understand how her powers are so broad if she only has the abilities of one devil though. I think it's been said devils can't make contracts with other devils but maybe she found a loophole.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

Unrelated to this chapter but assuming we can trust Makima, who sent Katana and Snake after Denji? The Soviets?

They wanted revenge for Denji killing Katana’s grandpa(the guy who shacks up with the zombie devil and kills/gets killed by Denji in the first chapter).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Friendly reminder of this little interaction from Chapter 5, after Denji and Power were loudly arguing over who was at fault for killing the sea cucumber devil.

I think she needs to say “This is an order” to activate it. Power just listens because she’s scared.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just noticed this apparently takes place in 1997. I wonder if that means we'll get a timeskip to the present day at some point. Then we could get devils like the Artificial intelligence devil, or the Global Warming devil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did the artist forget that Aki still has 1 arm?
Also I guess the punishment devil is how Makima killed the Chinese devil hunter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if once you're contracted(and say you give her everything) with Makima your life can't be "taken" since she owns it. That would explain how the snake lady and the other 2 devil hunters are there, with contracts intact. Alternatively Makima can use corpses to make contracts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Official translation

So this is only 20% of the gun devil? And something killed it at 100%? I feel like the power levels in this manga are gonna get nuts. Also I guess that’s why it’s abilities seem incomplete. At 100% presumably it can just instashoot everyone in the head and heart.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NowonSA posted:

I hope we get clarification on why the Gun Devil can't insta-kill people born in certain months, I find stuff like that super intriguing and I'd prefer any answer to why that is, even a bad or lame answer, to just leaving it a mystery.

Might be because this is only 20% of it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reading older chapters and Makima tells Aki the Angel devil killed his whole village, which we now know was under her control. She probably used that as a justification for bringing him into custody(well I guess devils don’t have human rights anyway, murderer or not).

EDIT: Was it retconned that regular devils can heal from drinking blood? Early on Pochita and Bat healed from drinking blood, and Power regrew her arms somehow, but Spider and Angel are still armless? Maybe it was retconned to be just hybrids and Power(since she’s a Blood devil).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 7, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess fiends get the memories of the corpse they take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Archenteron posted:

Am I the only one who started laughing when I saw what was behind the door?

I mean it makes sense but at the same time is so absurd that all I can do is laugh.

The Future devil agrees with you.