Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

chiasaur11 posted:

It's possibly because she didn't push the Gun Devil's poo poo in quite enough. On the other hand, it might be because she pushed it in just as hard as she wanted. We've got five seconds missing, and the answers are probably there.

We've got a lot of things about Makima missing still. Which leads into something I find interesting about her, if I'm reading things right.

Basically, there seem to be three layers in play.

Topmost is the public safety officer. Let's say it's represented by Makima in the suit if we're making a chart. This is the first impression we saw and (probably) didn't entirely trust, the government agent who just wants to keep people safe and kill devils. The more we see, the more sketchy this angle looks, leading us down...

To layer 2, best represented visually by Makima in the black dress. This is the devil of control, blamed for every evil in the world, and assumed to have figured out everything from the beginning. Her and Denji are just Master and Tolka on an even lager scale. Except... that doesn't fit everything either.

Which brings us to layer 3, and Makima at the movies, complete with her hair down. We don't get that much of her like that, but... we do keep seeing little bits of Makima as a person, rather than as a devil or a government agent. She's got friends who she meets with, she has hobbies, she likes to go drinking with her coworkers.

And she likes someone like this boy named Denji.

I think a lot of Makima talk revolves around finding out which she is, but that's ignoring a lot to try to "solve" a puzzle". Like Denji's scent in the first chapter was both Devil and human, all three parts of Makima are real. Whatever her endgame is, whatever her real nature is, all of that has to be taken into account, good and bad, successes and failures. (As I said upthread, she's wrongfooted a lot more than she tends to let on.) Falling for Makima's "Just as planned" act means playing an even bigger sucker than Denji. At least he tends to get some kind of payout for his trouble.

so, you're saying we shouldn't always be asking "who is makima" all the time, when we should be asking "how is makima"