Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
chainsawman owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I love the split evolution of protagonists that's happened in modern shonen. On the one hand you have characters like Midoriya from MHA, whose biggest strengths are actually being smart, thinking quickly, and being extremely observant.

Then you have Denji.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I have no idea what is happening here.

Feels like it's meant to be kind of a clusterfuck anyway

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

smh classic shonen power creep bullshit, new bad guy shows up, clowns on a bunch of good guys, then the even badder bad guy oneshots the previous bad guy and/or the one who beat him to drive home the point. yawn.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I adore Denji. He's the best.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

chainsawman owns

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

If you're trying to make a person and elect not to include bones I don't think you'll be pleased with the results

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Much like it's the Control Devil's dream to "form equal relationships with others."

Is every Devil's dream the hardest thing for them to accomplish?

Well, if it was easy, they wouldn't be dreaming about it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

introducing a new element or detail to a story is not an "asspull"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CHAINSAW MAN BACK

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

bitmap posted:

drat im glad I read chainsaw man even though I thought it looked like some dumb bullshit

it's ok you were absolutely right

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's incredibly funny Power hasn't even officially debuted in anime yet, but she's still leaving an impression just from the OP alone.

She's gonna win that nobel prize.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

has csm touched upon the concept of a Devil Devil yet

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nuebot posted:

The fact that so many fans of this series don't pick up on something being awkward, uncomfortable and just plan off with Makima until she's looking straight at the camera and talking about her plans is still hilarious to me because the series is not very subtle. It's one of its highlights, I think.

It's so incredibly obvious that something is up with Makima that it's probably tempting for a lot of people to loop back around and just assume it's a red herring, because they assume there's no way the author would telegraph it THAT hard.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I like when sequels include the prior protagonist(s) as part of the cast but not as the PoV character. JoJo did a fair bit of that obviously with Jotaro and Joseph but the one that always comes to mind for me is Golden Sun The Lost Age, where you finally get to hear the formerly mute Isaac speak when you meet up with him again about halfway through the game. When we were first introduced to Asa I was under the assumption "this is either going to be the new main character for the next however many months, or she's going to die at the end of this chapter and we pick back up with Denji next week." Definitely glad it was the former.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

What an incredibly loving stupid solution to the problem. I love it. CSM owns.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

By this logic couldn't she turn her home into a super powerful weapon? Downside is she'd be homeless.

V : I would say it's more emotional investment than owning something, otherwise how would she turn people into weapons?

The spear doesn't need to be powerful, it just needs to not be an infinite room with them trapped inside. If it's her aquarium it really doesn't matter how attached she is to it in this case.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

To be honest I'd rather they do Bomb Girl & International Assassins as season 2 and Control Devil as a movie, if this is the equation we're working with. Depending on how the pacing works out, that'd put the Gun Fiend stuff at the end of the former or start of the latter, but it'd work either way I think.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Apocron posted:

When Asa used her power on the Aquarium it separated the Aquarium and the Eternity devil. I wonder if there's a chance this move separates Denji and the Chainsaw devil.

Eternity just hid somewhere in the space he was influencing both times, all he had happen in the aquarium was his hiding spot got ripped out from under him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'll never be able to relate because I got in right near the start. Looking at some discord chat logs of when I started talking about it, looks to have been around chapter 12 or 13. Fujimoto's Wild Ride lasted just about the full 2 years for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

So his eating her was a completely separate mechanic that randomly worked and it happens to be identical to Chainsaw man's special mechanic? I feel ok for being confused.

Probably not identical. The best explanation we get is from Denji and Kishibe's conversation at the end of Part 1, where they're unsure as to why they remember Makima and how Nayuta exists. Best theory anybody can come up with is that Denji doing it is less severe an "erasure" than Chainsaw Man proper, but still effective to some degree.