Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Power letting Denji touch her boobs only to reveal she's wearing pads is possibly one of the best dumb jokes I've seen.

I'm mildly curious about why Power took that particular body and what happened to the previous owner, but it's probably unlikely to come up.

Expect My Mom posted:

Just started reading it last weekend and really enjoying it! I'm not quite caught up yet and I admit that I have cooled on it a fair bit since the events of Chapter 23 - 30, how that ended didn't set well with me,

but god I love the relationship between Denji and Power so much. Just these absolute dumb as loving rocks, feral duo that manage to get along. Operation Super Smart made me laugh really hard

I find it kinda funny how Power's got the whole cat motif going on when Cats are usually associated with cunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was kinda disappointed Himeno died so quickly. She was pretty cool.

We didn't even get the names of most of the squad before they died!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mulderman posted:

:stare:

There goes my hopes that she really likes Denji and wasn't just playing him.

Beam is a complete bro though.

I mean 100% of the women who have said they like Denji want something from him even before that. :v:

I hope Reze sticks around though, she seems cool.

It also occured to me that Himeno having sold 'everything' means she's either in hell or at the very least going to be a meat puppet for the ghost devil.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i was a fire punch fan so seeing fujimoto immediately jump into a new series that is both more accessible and successful has been great. already crossing fingers for this to get a good animated adaptation

Out of curiosity, what'd you like about Fire Punch? It's probably one of my least favorite manga that I actually completed.

e: For the record, I just didn't find any of the characters all that interesting or relatable.

I didn't like the ending either. It just seemed kind of pointless.

I think the main reason I like CSM more than FP is just that Agni is incredibly boring and his support cast isn't interesting enough to make up for that.

Also, everything about Agni having a pseudo incestuous relationship with a retarded Judah was kind of hosed up, even for me.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 27, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Overall fire punch bothers me because it's pretty close to being something I'd like but there's something I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't sit well with me about it. There were parts I found funny, but overall maybe it was just too dark? Compared to some of the other really dark-tone things I've liked it's not as funny as Lisa, way more drawn out than Devilman, and the characters don't really deserve what happens to them as much as in Drakengard.

Maybe it's something like that. Like I said, not quite sure what it is, but there's just something about it.

Also about Judah, I thought she was still brain damaged enough to basically be going off of what Agni told her until she returned to San and Neneto's village even if she was past the point where she could only repeat what other people said to her and didn't need to be constantly supervised.

On Chainsawman, the future devil said to Aki he's not going to live his full two years and that his death would be something the future devil would find hilarious, presumably meaning it's pretty unpleasent.

I wonder if he's going to find out Makima had some idea of the attack happening and didn't bother to warn them or anything (which directly lead to Himeno dying) and snap.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i don't have the official TL unfortunately but the FA one has Judah, before the village stuff, kiss Agni and then say "We're not actually siblings, are we? I'd more or less figured it out. After all, there's no way I wouldn't be able to remember a brother I loved so much."

but this is only shortly after they've timeskipped so hard you don't get to really feel the change, on top of her showing up in some pages between then and not really giving that sense either. so i get why it would be offputting (Agni's relationship with Luna was already weird too) or just feel kinda paper thin.

Yeah, I didn't really get that impression so I guess it's at least a bit better if Judah was at least functional. Even if he definitely did have her dressing up in fetish outfits before, that's... Not as bad?

dogsicle posted:

it vibed with other stuff i've enjoyed, like there was definitely some Alita/Nihei/FotNS influence. the story isn't a redemption for Agni but the post-tree arc also kinda gels with stuff I've enjoyed about lovely characters reforming through pastoral lives in like Spirit Circle, To Your Eternity, Vinland Saga etc.

Not sure if you're familiar with the game at all, but I remember one analysis of LISA the Painful saying how the point of the story wasn't that Brad was a good person but that he did have the potential to do better, and for all the drug or trauma induced violence he couldn't help himself from comitting, he managed to make some people's lives marginally better or at least tried to.

I think that point kind of holds true with Agni too. He definitely does a lot of pretty horrible things, but he manages to achieve some good. I'd probably have been happier with it if the story ended with Agni at the factory instead of... Whatever the hell happened with San at the end. Or the very ending possibly implying Judah really WAS Luna in the movie theatre afterlife? I'm bad at reading comprehension, it was way too confusing for me. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I think she's a devil in a human corpse.
She can control all blood, but her own blood is significantly easier.
When the Katana devil first attacked she protested to helping one of the victims because it was to taxing for her to control someone else's blood.

She also has a huge brain with the highest iq ever

I might've mentioned this before but man, can you imagine dying and having Power of all people running around in your corpse?

Truly there are worse fates than death.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Why is typhoon devil a cancer baby

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Violence Devil is the best.

Poor aki.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is also the manga where the most reasonable, practical minded character is a human corpse combined with the incarnation of humanity's fear of violence.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On one hand, Power bursting into the room right when she did was hilarious.

On the other, the thing with Reze is starting to make me worry this is going to turn into Fire Punch and just be all grim and make me stop caring.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

She was stopping Reze from pulling the pin on her neck and activating her powers.

My :tinfoil: theory is she actually is taking Reze in alive so she can eat her and steal her powers. She's some kind of cannibal devil and that's why her power set is so diverse.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Phimose Knight posted:

I dunno. Denji has one Agni-like introspective moment of "am I incapable of feeling sadness because of my devil heart?", and he IMMEDIATELY pivots away with "ahh gently caress that philosophical poo poo, it's depressing". Then he eats a flower.

Safe to say we're probably safe from Fujimoto's bleakboner... until we go to Russia. Then all bets are off. Famines, regenerators, hybrid-based fuel rooms. I hate it already.

Eh, just because Denji doesn't care doesn't mean it can't be bleak.

None of the main cast of Drakengard gives a poo poo and that game is bleak as hell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something else I thought about :

If Reze was known to be a Russian asset, and the Russians were in some kind of contact with Bomb Devil, who was itself working with the Gun Devil, wouldn't it have made more sense to try and wring her for information before offing her?

Unless Makima knows something we don't (almost certainly) and/or has some kind of ulterior motive (which is looking more and more likely).

Darth TNT posted:

I'm just happy Power is back, the genius dynamic duo has been reunited!

Moreso than Denji I feel like Power (and Beam and Violence Devil) are what will keep the series from getting too dark, and if they die it's going straight fire punch grimdark, regardless of Denji.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

The author really has a thing for, i dunno, cinematic storytelling. It's been very apparent in Fire Punch too, you could see him apply some of the well known tricks like that, both visually and narratively. I'm still sorta convinced that the camera boy was a big part in Fire Punch because he's a big nerd for that kinda storytelling.
I still remember that one introduction scene to the train in Fire Punch that was kinda hard to parse, until it hit me that what he was doing is the long continuous camera pan, from the end of the moving train forwards, through all the train cars up to the front, to establish the grounds for the later action scene. You could really feel that he was trying for a literal establishing movie shot, except kinda hampered by the static and snapshotty nature of the comic panels he had to work with.

I feel like the one dude in Fire Punch being a massive movie nerd was him writing what he knows. :v:

chiasaur11 posted:

The titles are parallels too.

"Love, Flower, Chainsaw"

leads to

"Lost Love, Flower, Chainsaw".

(Which fits better than some fan translations going with heartbreak. Denji's emotional resilience is one of his defining traits, to the point of smiling while he's eating the flowers.)

Thinking about it, he wasn't that sad when Himeno died, but like... He barely even knew her. Putting aside time nonsense in the hotel he'd known her for what, a few days? And she tried to kill him at least once in that period. Then threw up in his mouth. Obviously he's not going to be too upset. It's not even as if he particularly likes Aki, who was pretty much destroyed emotionally, to be upset on his behalf.

Reze on the other hand, he might take as an actual loss because he connected with her. Even if it was only a short period, he clearly felt a lot more attached to her than Himeno. Not to mention Makima (well, Angel) killed her as opposed to someone that was already an enemy. That makes it more of a betrayal.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"don't die we'll need everyone's strength to kill the gun devil"

hate to break it to you makima

but you haven't been doing a very good job of that

Namnesor posted:

Denji's emotional landscape, in a single page

He doesn't know she's dead yet, does he?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Elfface posted:

The Chinese devils suddenly swooping in as contenders for best. Blood, Donuts, Halloween and ... what more could one want?

I wonder what they're all devils of? Halloween is probably Halloween, given how much she enjoys saying it... Blood could be another blood devil like Power, she's got the same horns. Donuts' hair could be an eel, or maybe a question-mark. Devil of the unknown? Silence looks like a frankenstein, so could be a devil of monsters, or maybe of corpses or zombies. Death Itself is probably a much bigger deal fear.

They're great, can't wait to see how horribly they die. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"Oh, this new lady is cute. I wonder how long until she'll di-"

"Ah."

Power being Power is still fun though!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah it's sorta the same mood that killed my interest in Fire Punch, it's just hard to give a poo poo about anyone.

Well, Power's pretty great.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
fujimoto hates tough girls with one eye and I am not okay with this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
New chapter.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006285

violence devil and power continue to be great.

I completely forget who the lady with a nail is though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Violence Devil is an obvious liar and you suckers are the sort of people who would take off his mask.

Don't get me wrong, I fully suspect someone will take off his drug mask and he'll go on a rampage at some point.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay, now that is an abrupt death in chainsawman that took me off guard.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Gonna feel sad when Quanxi gets smoked.

Pewdiepie posted:

To be honest I have no god drat clue who that person is at this point.

That's the problem with killing off and introducing 500 characters, yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It occured to me, Quanxi has an eyepatch in a fujimoto joint. She is ultra hosed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006423

New chapter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wonder if there's a seperate gun and bullet devil.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't like Fire Punch because 80% of it bored me immensely.

Got to hand it to Chainsawman. If it's anything, it is definitely not boring.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's also partially how much it's in the public consciousness I think, right?

Ask people what they're scared of and very few would think to say violence, I bet.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe the fact that other devils fear the Chainsaw devil plays into his power. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Where’s the “Fear of stepping on a piece of Lego in the dark” Demon

Lurking where you least expect it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
RIP Quanxi's harem.

Did Denji not wonder about what happened to Aki?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Now, is Quanxi alive or not? If she's half as tough as Denji she'd be fine, but the doll transformation thing seemed to be contagious.

Tune in tomorrow next week to find out!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
somehow the blue dragon boss theme keeps playing in my mind's ear when I read this.

Fear and awe!
In your eyes!

:allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The way Denji cares for power despite her general attitude towards him before is kinda sweet.

I do hope this doesn't go for a fire punch type ending though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

power's terrible but she's denji's best friend and the only person who really gets him.

Very possibly. since he ultimately decided he'd place his uh... friendship? and the wellbeing of Power over his primary motivation thus far, getting his dick wet with Makima, I wonder if that was another test of hers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It baffles me after this people are still shipping power and denji.

Maybe if Makima dies or something. Maybe.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I dunno he distinctly thinks about how despite feeling he knows Power he doesn't feel anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
THE ONE EYED OWL FLIES AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On that note, I think Himeno's the only person who's name has been written in Kanji.