Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
hopefully reze and quanxi are just locked up in the basement hanging out with the future devil. stop killing cool characters makima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
in the last few months we've had chapters of completely alien symbolic imagery with little to no dialogue, a chapter where denji beats the badguy by setting himself on fire, a meditation on trauma, and a chapter that is essentially 20 pages of setup for a joke about aki puking. i love this manga so much.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that's kinda selling this latest chapter short.

that's fair; the last page wouldn't have resonated with me if the rest of the chapter hadn't done an amazing job establishing how much the emotional connections between aki, denji, and power have developed.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the endless doorbell onomatopoeia and the giant body count list from the last few chapters are some neat design choices. but also: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

profileusername posted:

Dang. I wonder if this was planned by Makima or if she messed up somehow.

i guess we don't really know how much time passed between the last two chapters, but the abruptness of this one makes it hard for me to believe it wasn't planned

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
maybe makima wanted to help aki get some cool new arms

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
Chainsaw Man: A girl and her dogs

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
after 20+ years there's finally another contender for the 'biggest emotional gut punch through use of finger gun + saying bang scene in japanese media' award

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
this chapter rules

kobeni is so good. i can't believe fujimoto's editor didn't make him include #7 most popular character in the manga, Kobeni's car, on the date as well

Hypocrisy posted:

Oh look. A bunch of corpses are talking.

:hmmyes:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
finally, the reunion everyone has been waiting for. kishibe and his best friend meowy

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

that was incredible. i wish satoshi kon was a 200 year old vampire temporarily dead of memory brain explosion, because this would be a very cool follow up to millenium actress (and everything else he did too i guess)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say it's kind of the opposite of Millennium Actress.

That was about how real film could be, with the various fictions all coalescing into a true portrait of Chiyoko. Meanwhile, this was about how fake film could be, with the "documentaries" forming completely deceptive portraits of their subjects, even when the footage was real.

Similarly, Chiyoko was in love with an image of her artist, and in the end found the chasing good enough, even though the catching was impossible. Here, meanwhile, Yuta finds his idealized love interest, the girl who never really existed... and then he blows her up, because he's somewhat horrified by the lie becoming the only thing that survived. Unlike Chiyoko, Yuta says goodbye and means it.

i like both of your interpretations! i definitely meant more as a companion piece exploring similar thematic areas, even though they are ultimately kind of oppositional conclusions.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

hell yeah. god is good

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

muscles like this! posted:

I'm going to eat the concept of having to wait for new chapters.

thank you. i just clicked this thread for the first time in a while and apparently it comes out in like 20 minutes

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Gahmah posted:

lol

lmao

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
morbid comedy, cool devil designs, the tragic death of a beloved character, a door. i couldn't ask for anything more in the first chapter back

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i thought the little muppet war devil was going to be a reborn chicken devil who helps makita come to terms with her tragic mistake. and after seeing all of the weapon puns and jokes it made, i still believe that bucky has come back to us.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

I Am Fowl posted:

Wow, starting to feel like this thread isn't safe for birds.

starting today, the chainsaw man thread will be keeping a thread pet - I Am Fowl!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
mfw encountering the propane and propane accessories devil

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
living in constant fear of the sugma devil

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
she managed to live an entire chapter. i believe in yuko.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
reading one piece for half my life conditioned my brain to expect a giant crazy reveal from chapters that end in '00'. it's neat fujimoto gave us a quieter introspective chapter about trauma and bonding instead.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

cuntman.net posted:

lmao this chapter is amazing

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the denji stuff is incredible but the war devil punching pillows and throwing a tantrum also owns.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

cuntman.net posted:

at least she doesnt have to think about how to make a devil show up at school now

i guess it's possible yoru influenced the situation somehow. seems like a lot of time passed on the roof based on the shadows at the end, so maybe there was some mind fuckery context that was conveniently skipped over with those intervening city skyline shots. definitely also possible fujimoto just thought it would be cool to slowly sink the scene into darkness

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm going to spend 0 seconds of my life engaging with people complaining about chainsaw man animation leaks on twitter or reddit or whatever.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just watched ep 2. I have a feeling Power is going to be even more popular with the anime only crowd than she was with the manga crows. I honestly thought Power was a bit annoying at first but she obviously grew on me pretty quickly, and by the end of part one I was quite attached.

I also can't really tell if the anime is making everything Makima says and does a bit more sinister than it came across in the manga or if that's just my own foreknowledge coloring everything.

i think the muted ominous music and darker color palettes of the show definitely makes makima spookier. plus the first few chapters of the manga have lots of little cute makima face panels liks this

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

lol cool. i hope part 3 is all about kobeni

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Terper posted:

Yoru: "yo sorry bout your mom... she def would have been a strong weapon"

i'm glad chainsaw man has become a heartwarming tale about friendship, love, and the mementos of those we left behind being turned into cool swords

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
interesting that the bully girl gets a sleeping headshot. i guess she's probably getting justice devil-ed next

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

lol, but also definitely 100% canon

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Eggplant Squire posted:

She's getting a redemption arc and then killed randomly in a panel out of nowhere.

for sure, i just think she'll also get a justice devil contract in between those two things

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
birds are cool. see: patlabor 2

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Electric Phantasm posted:

From the anime thread lol

lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

i was talking about it with a friend and while i haven't seen the new episode yet, it feels like i have no idea where this season will end atm. i was thinking the theater date with Makima would be poignant, fitting, and also right at the doorstep of the Reze arc, but im not sure if another 5 eps would be able to cover that much ground, especially with how MAPPA has extended some scenes so far.

i assumed date + maybe they move denjis door dream to a post credits scene even though i think it happens before

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Popo posted:

It appeared outside the panels, from the edge of the page, flicking inwards. I thought it did it for each shot but it's just the first,. Still neat ut hard if not impossible to execute in the anime without really messing with the 4th wall and distracting from the moment.

I really enjoyed the scenes prior to the opening playing as well. Lots of nice little character actions like Himeno cooling herself in the fridge. Between and Kikuri from Bocchi it's been a good season for messy drunks.

the penultimate episode of 86 does some very cool stuff with letterboxing, would definitely check it out if you're bored.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/now-thats-an-edgy-technique.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
god asa rules

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

counterpoint: penguins ftw

there was a perfect amount of time allocated for penguins. topic locked

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm ready for the Endless Date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SexyBlindfold posted:

Okay I'm all caught up. Oddly enough what finally broke my resolve to not ~spoil the anime for myself~ wasn't the promise of more batshit loving fight scenes or more poignant character moments, it was the vague spoiler that Denji was getting wooed by some loving dork who rules. So I went and read ~80 chapters.

Don't tell anyone, but I think that this manga might be good

that's a good reason to catch up in my opinion. i'm excited for when this guy from the anime thread finds out that part 2 is all slice of life stuff about the war devil

Martman posted:

Awesome episode. I had been getting frustrated by the amount of time spent on "slice of life" stuff, but now that they're following through on the dangers involved in the job it makes those previous character-building moments a lot more impactful.

I'm kinda wondering if we're in for some big plot twists where stuff like the Snake Devil are powerful but act independently, but what if there's like, a War Devil? Maybe entire governments and militaries and stuff are in league with devils that operate on a way more insane scale than what we're seeing.