Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Torquemadras posted:

Oh wow, this manga sure likes mowing down devil hunters

I'm honestly surprised there's, like, any left at all

"Make a lot of money and then die" is an enticing prospect for a lot of young people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Power owns and is exactly the kind of dumb turnaround this chapter needed to end on

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Denji's emotional landscape, in a single page

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This whole chapter was great, but I think this panel has to be my favorite, all because of the tiny little detail of Power's horn poking into Denji's cheek.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In light of the current circumstances, I just can't stop thinking about the line from an earlier chapter, "the last thing you hear in Hell is a chainsaw."

I get the feeling that bringing Denji to Hell is a really bad idea. For everyone.

And I can't fuckin' wait :unsmigghh:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This manga owns, Denji owns

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Absolutely incredible. This spread is a goddamn masterpiece.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

yum posted:

Also, from Santa’s reaction it seems more and more likely that the reason the chainsaw devil is so powerful is because other devils fear it

To be fair, I too would be loving terrified of that high-level combination of stupidity and insanity.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Uh... I don't think Aki has any legs anymore, in addition to losing his other arm:

Everyone else has shoes or a long skirt, but Aki doesn't.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Denji pounding the table to the song might be the greatest thing ever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah this mangaka understands the balance between seriousness and levity. Then uses that interplay to toy with the reader's expectations

or put another way: this manga manages to not jump shark. when it could easily disappear up its' own rear end

C'mon, too soon. Beam died only a few chapters ago.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This is exactly what I hoped would happen. Chainsaw Devil no-selling all of these now-chump-class mooks.

the future is awesome

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm constantly thinking about Chainsaw Man so yes

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This is the greatest page in all of manga

bitch

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Proud to display this on my bookshelf

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Oh I think it does Power was not dead before in so far as she still had her form and her memories somewhere apparently, now that she has sacrificed herself for Denji, her time as the blood devil on earth is over and she's set to be reborn in Hell. She's dead and it was Denji's situation that caused her final death (she could have stayed alive hanging with Makima).

I kinda get the impression now that Future is really powered by the fear of the unknown that comes with the future. The Devil can see it, but you can't so it leaves you with information that causes you dread, but may not be actually truthful or accurate to the explicit words Future used.

I think part of it is that it's the Future Devil so whatever future it tells you, you're naturally inclined to extrapolate the worst possible circumstance to arrive at that future.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
happy

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/goodbye-eri-chapter-1/chapter/24305?action=read

absolutely incredible

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I keep re-reading the last couple pages and am continually impressed by panel composition and the way sound effect visuals are incorporated into it. There was some twitter thread (I think from the official translator?) about it during Part 1, and Fujimoto is still absolutely crushing it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Power definitely named herself because power is a cool word to say.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Denji is the kind of person that rises to the occasion and right now the occasion is very low

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What an astoundingly good first episode.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
And Denji won by being somehow even more incomprehensible than the darkness.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MonsterEnvy posted:

Denji lost to the Darkness Devil, Makima was dying to it as well, but managed to bail them out.

Oh, you're right, I'm thinking of Santa Claus

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Denji this chapter: oh whoops oh I dropped my MONSTER RIPCORD that I use for my MAGNUM SAW

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

She is everything I hoped for

This is word for word what I was coming into the thread to say

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
And people say that Denji hasn't meaningfully grown since part 1.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Can you really claim immunity to something that doesn't exist?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shinjobi posted:

Kobeni is the key to all of this

She's a funnier character than we've ever had in the manga (not a joke)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Power is dead forever. Denji might befriend the Blood Devil but they are pretty explicitly not going to be Power. (Not to mention Power's corpse-host-body was blown to pieces anyway.)

Imp, I like you a lot, and it's not that you're wrong, but shut the gently caress up

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

It's... It's just, I'm not actually mad, but some truths are better kept on the inside.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the new characters are really good. They are not Power but some have the potential to be even better than Power!

Please, don't do this again. I don't want to be mad at you anymore.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
See, I didn't agree with everyone saying that Nayuta was the one whose reaction we should be wary of. At the end of the day, as powerful as she is, she's still a child.

Denji, on the other hand... all of these people feeling like their wishes are coming true might very quickly come to find they were holding on to the wrong wish. Things went pretty badly for the last person that tried to control Chainsaw Man.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't think Denji hated his normal life, it's that it came at the complete and utter sacrifice of the other half of who he is. He clearly loves Nayuta, Meowy and the dogs and derives genuine joy from providing for them, but also... my boy's gotta chainsaw.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shinjobi posted:

Curious to see Nayuta's reaction to all this. I think she was under the impression she was still running the show.

Even if she wasn't the Control Devil, she's still a kid, of course she thought she was in control.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I think the idea there is to convey that he's indulging in it, compared to previous times where it's been more about survival.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Valentin posted:

he's indulging plenty when he kills eternity devil. but there he says, very explicitly, that he created a perpetual motion machine powered by drinking eternity's blood. In this manga it's generally worth taking note when food/consumption is mentioned, especially thrice in one chapter.

That isn't comparable to what he's doing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Part 2 long eclipsed Part 1 for me and the recent chapters have only solidified that.