Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Crosspeice posted:

These new animations are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
can't decide which I like more: roland introducing himself as "your longtime rival", the team literally just being called Great Rocket, or GR being able to jail up people by playing card games at them

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are GR attempting to drown the water club? They're just walled into the middle of the pool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man those gr portraits sure uhh.... are something.

I'd really love them to create a new one of these with all the new rules, uncompressed art, deck advice based on people playing the game for decades now, and of course a slightly more functional ai.

Never saw tcg2 so looking forward to seeing the changes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I never knew they made a sequel! Kind of surprised they did as much upgrading as they did, as far as doubling the cards and improving the animations, but it all looks good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd really love them to create a new one of these with all the new rules, uncompressed art, deck advice based on people playing the game for decades now, and of course a slightly more functional ai.
There's PTCGO, which is free to play. The AI isn't spectacular, but there's stuff to do and it earns you cards for PVP.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

This is even hokier than Yu-Gi-Oh and more farfetched. I love it.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I'm glad the islanders are all so supportive of MINTO:)'s transition after gaining the confidence to be themselves from winning the legendary pokemon cards.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

for all the nobody who asked, ッ (which is a small ツ) has no pronunciation of its own but doubles the consonant following it so it's the difference betwen カタ Kata and カッタ Katta or ササ Sasa and サッサ Sassa. At the end of a word it's just, like, a glottal stop?

When it's not small it's a "Tsu"

...so how about them pokeymans cards?

The Golux fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2019

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Now imagining Mintoッ with a geordie accent.

I started playing the sequel when Crosspeice started this thread. The ability to draw in this game is just stupendous; I've been able to go through half of my deck in the first turn and I bet there are even better and more efficient ways to do it than the ways I found.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know which is better, Mint:), Minto:), or Min[glottal stop]to

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Chatrapati posted:

Now imagining Mintoッ with a geordie accent.

I started playing the sequel when Crosspeice started this thread. The ability to draw in this game is just stupendous; I've been able to go through half of my deck in the first turn and I bet there are even better and more efficient ways to do it than the ways I found.

Yeah this is why they designated most of the cards that do that "Supporters" that you can only do one per turn of in later sets.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, did Mason stop ending his mails with a winky face?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Team GR stole more than just some cards - they stole Dr. Mason's smile. (or winky face)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

I grew up with TCG1, so all these new or updated images for this very familiar game is really making me flip out. Like what the heck is that Squirtle and Wartortle art??

If you think the Intro Set has some wacky art wait until we see some of the Vending Machine cards in full

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, so that's why her name has ッ.

She's learned from the person that got her into the card game in the first place. She's upholding Dr. Mason's legacy of smiles.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Sorites posted:

This is even hokier than Yu-Gi-Oh and more farfetched.

Many more, yes

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
I've started playing through the second game because of this topic, and I have to say, there's nothing more frustrating than losing a 'mon (or even a game) because your opponent landed every coin flip and you had to sit there getting paralyzed over and over.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Melufa posted:

I've started playing through the second game because of this topic, and I have to say, there's nothing more frustrating than losing a 'mon (or even a game) because your opponent landed every coin flip and you had to sit there getting paralyzed over and over.

Just like the real card game!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Materant posted:

Just like the real card game!
As a kid, I ran a deck built around the Gengar that makes the sleep status need two successful coinflips to wake up from.
I was a nasty little poo poo, apparently.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 18, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah this game loving sucks lol anyway I started playing it while reading the first update and just saw the credits

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: Half Liberation

Rock Club

One club got liberated without our help, so let's start there with decks chosen by youuuuuuu! Er, for the last game, but enough were suggested that I feel I could carry it over to this game. So let's properly show this Team Rocket's Rockin team first suggested by BisbyWorl, but we have a muuuuuch shorter character limit this game, whoops.

Sure, it might be cheap to use a Grass deck for this, but it's the early game, it really doesn't matter what we use.

Gas Explosion: This Pokémon does 30 damage to itself. If this attack Knocks Out the Defending Pokémon and your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon, your opponent's new Active Pokémon becomes Poisoned.

Any Vending or Intro cards we focus won't have any English translations since this JP only game was the only one to feature them! This card has some nice synergy, but only if you get lucky with coin flips and also KO. If the opponent doesn't clear out the Poison, then they'll take 70 damage by the time it gets back to them, 10 from initial Poison, 20 from the boosted Poison, and 40 from Gas Explosion. Of course you can combo with Defender so Weezing takes pathetic damage from it, pretty drat fun.

Bah, fine, we'll just poison whatever comes in.

Ugh, of course it's the Snorlax that can't get statused. Fine, we'll nearly wipe out this Onix in return. If you used all your Defenders and didn't take damage, then you could fire off this attack 5 times before fainting, which is pretty nuts.

Wrap: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Deadly Poison: The Defending Pokémon is now Poisoned. If the Defending Pokémon was already Poisoned, this attack does 10 more damage.

Ugh, Leer. This Vending Arbok comboes very well with Weezing since its attack has a guaranteed Poison, but I am using various versions of each mon if I can, so we're still using the Fossil Arbok that briefly showed up last game. The fact that you get 30 extra damage from using both Pokemon when the opponent is poisoned is beautiful and really makes it easy to use these Pokemon. Love it! First attack is first attack, you'll notice I rarely talk about those.

Fossil decks take a while to set up, but they're usually given good Powers to compensate. Andrew actually has a Kabutops to use, woah! As well as the Vending Omanyte that doesn't need Water energy, as well as evolution lockdown Aerodactyl and Rhydon. Not a bad deck, but he doesn't use many Trainers, so he doesn't have much spice to him. Oh well.

It has a good ability, but 4 energy for 30 damage with a paralysis chance is a big oof.

It's part of my style to have regrets whatsoever! I love a good duel! It helps develop my own style!

Team Great Rocket... the moniker GR No.1... there's no one, no matter how weird, that our Club Master can't overcome! We'll fight against all of Team GR! We have the might! Are 4 prize cards acceptable? If you beat me, I'll give you a booster pack!

I'm really starting to dislike Pokeballs. Maybe there's other options...

Ryan has the... Great Earthquake deck. Uh, I feel like the translators messed up all the deck names, but whatever. So everything that has Earthquake, meaning he uses actual evolutions! Too bad he'll never find them. Since this Rocket Ekans does dependable damage, it'll rip right through this team if he can't KO me back.

Spoilers, he doesn't and I cut most of the battle due to so much SNIVEL

Gaaahh, I lost! As promised, here's your booster pack. Your body and mind are both impressively strong after all! I'll take you on when you like. Any time! Kyah!

Despite what it looked like, Team GR never got close to conquering us! Though I had been defeated by that GR No.1 fellow... but Team GR won't ever win again. I'll fight anyone who wants to duel! Alright, let's play! We'll use 4 prize cards! If you can beat me, I'll give you a booster pack!

At least we're not weak to Fire, phew.

Aright, what's ne- ah ffs, even with FOURTEEN BASICS you didn't draw into any, mama mia. He had some spicy Fire types along with Dugtrio and Golem to get the rock rolling. Might've been a bit tough, but you had your chance to show off, buh-bye!

Easy enough, now for the main event, since it's good to get early booster packs.

I'll give you the deck I used to flatten GR No.1! Well then, are you ready to take on the Rock Club Master or not? Bring it on! We'll use 6 prize cards.

Club Master Duel

Aw yeah, fighting the Club Masters again. Well, the ones that haven't been kidnapped at least. Ahem.

Bind: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Rock Seal: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon can’t retreat during your opponent's next turn.

Trying to paralyze me? I'll just evolve and poison you. Hah! There's some cards I wanna highlight just cause of the art. Nothing more.

Isn't this just grand. How's it going? Things are fine for me, just playing a fun game, getting a little stuck cause it keeps flipping Leer.

Exploding is a little excessive...

But watch this drive. Since this card keeps not popping up, I'll have to cover it during this easy enough battle. Rhydon takes no damage from Ram with Defender, but constantly swapping out the opponent is a bit annoying. Otherwise it's relatively cheap and can sometimes force your foe to swap in a weak mon they were powering up.

Best part, it lasts through the enemy's turn, so we're able to hang on and do it again! We're not getting a lot of evolutions even though Gene doesn't have a lot to clog up his deck. There's Rhydon and Vending Graveler, as well as lots of energy and even 2 Bill! However, too many Basics like 4 Onix probably slowed him down, but one day Onix will be good. It's called Steelix.

Take this, my GR No.1 K.O. deck. It should prove useful for duelling GR No.1! Also... take this gift from me!

By all means! Please use it in your duel against GR No.1! At the moment, GR No.1 seems to have retreated to the Fighting Club. Please, Minto! You're their only hope!

I'll probably swap coins when we swap decks and show as many off as I can. But there are some you just should not try to collect, you get plenty of cool ones during the story. Anyway, doing some parts of the story reward you in theme decks! Available in all good toy stores now. They focus on a specific strategy and are a good way to get some specific cards. But, well, of course they're bad in this game. Still, free draw supporters, or, well, 1 Oak.

Still, Sweat! Anti-GR1 Deck focuses on Fighting and Grass mons, with Graveler and Nidorino being the only real highlights. The other evolved mon is Metapod, which doesn't count. Honestly just take the Diglett and use it in a better deck, and 2 bonus Energy Search is nice. You're only using this deck if you want a challenge or if you have literally no other cards to use. Such a shame.

Gotta get all the Promos again. Most of them are still bad, but there's even worse ones in this game! Hahaha...

Hmm, what is it? Oh. It's you again! You already had a Card Pop! with me. We can't have another, you know! Maybe we'll get more cards later! See ya!

GR Invasion!

That's his Stone Coin! It's proof of your victory. In that case, I challenge you to a duel. My question is, do you have the courage to fight the great GR No.1? We'll battle with 6 prize cards! If you manage to beat me, I'll retreat from the Fightin' Club! Just a fair warning, though: it's impossible for you to win.

Team GR Battle

Yo, Minto! I'm just writing you to say that I'll relay any information I find out about Team GR via mail. Remember to check your mail frequently for updates, okay? I have some intel about GR No.1! His deck is made of Water and Electric Pokemon, so fight him with a deck capable of repelling his Magnemite! Later! Ronald (O__O)

So our first GR battle, and you'd think that with the Grass emblem on them, they would have that deck, right? Nope, Water/Electric! Seems legit.

At the same time, this Pikachu is being annoying, but it's pretty fragile, so it's only one boomer away, ok.

Bite

Tail Drop: Flip 2 coins. If either of them is tails, this attack does nothing.

The first Kanga was useful as early game draw support, while hitting hard if you found 2 DCEs, but this Vending one is, uh, interesting looking? And quite strong if you don't get tails. You'll get tails though, so maybe don't bother. Am I posting these final stage Vending mons due to the art? Maybe. Are some of them usable? Also maybe.

Oh no, not the bubbles.

Since I've only played this game once, I don't really remember what GR uses, so stumbling into another weakness advantage is a shame, but whatever, if you don't find your evolved mons, that's not my problem.

Taking 40 damage between my turns is enough to make any Pokemon feel a biy sickly. This deck could eventually reach Vending Poliwrath and Jungle Electrode, but I doubt it with equal energy and more focus on Water cards. Also 4 Magnemite that can't evolve lol

Hmm, Dark Pokemon? Wonder if we'll see more of those later, fufufu...

You've got a lot of guts, kid. To take on the illustrious Team GR. Try to collect all four pieces of our coin. If you can manage that, you'll be able to travel to GR Island! However... can you truly collect them all? By the way! Team GR still has the Club Master, Mitch, held captive. If you'd like him back, find your way over to GR Island!

Fighting Club

I promise to protect the Fighting Club until Mitch returns. I won't stop my training. You do your best, too!

All the trades can be done as soon as you encounter them, but since you won't have the cards, they can wait until we liberate that club.

We've got another good deck from Blaze Dragon, fittingly, as we light the electricity... on fire? Sure.

We'll say this is stylized, otherwise this artist doesn't know what circles are. It does have an interesting attack that does 20 plus 10 more for each Voltorb in play, so up to 60! For 2 energy! Too bad it dies easily.

Alright, well we haven't gotten any Bench Pokemon, so hopefully Sonicboom doesn't kill us. It might.

Aw man, well in very dire situations, I use an Oak to burn my entire hand in the hopes of getting some kind of Basic! So we're fine.

Noooooooo!!! Intro Growlithe!!!

This is a very powerful mon that can easily outdamage Charizard if you keep it supplied with energy and it takes a long while to charge up in the back, making it real easy to snipe. Its first attack lets you drag in something heavy so you can set up in its face, but you really don't wanna waste a DCE for it. Can even OKHO itself!

Didn't get a Fire energy on that turn, but I did now! Nicholas has a mix of Colourless and Lightning, lots of speedy Pokemon like Fearow, Electrode and Dodrio

I'm steadily putting in new cards so there's not too much to go over at once, Nightly Garbage Run is a nice way to stop you getting decked out, which happens too many times than I'd like, rolling a Revive and Energy Retrieval into one.

Hurting me only makes me stronger! This is a Promo card from last game, which we won't get for a fair while, but any Promos we saw last game are fair to use now, I say, deciding that right now.

We'll play with the full 6 prize cards. It's a duel to end all duels! Try to enjoy yourself!

Club Master Duel

The classic fight, dog vs rat.

This Pikachu is kicking my rear end, however, Spark is a nice 20 damage.

Might as well attract this genderless ball towards us to take it out, still a couple turns from hitting it though.

Hm? Oh right, our first Dark Pokemon we're fighting, should probably talk about these, since as you can see they're not a huge improvement, but they're at least interesting. Introduced in the Team Rocket expansion, they have a fair new fun mechanics to them, but aren't related to the upcoming Dark, or Evil, type, they're just Bad Pokemon. As you can see, Energy Bomb isn't a very good attack, but there 31 Dark Pokemon in total, all evolved Pokemon, so I'm sure some of them will be good.

Alright, Ninetales needs to calm down.

Rude. Here's the other star of the show, Arcanine does a lot of damage once it gets properly set up and has a weaker, but still very sufficient Flamethrower. It's also pretty drat bulky for a Stage 1, so it can take a few hits while you're powering it up. Defender will also makes sure it spends a long time tackling things to the ground.

Enough to torch what's left. Isaac also mixes in some Colourless like Pidgeotto, but also has Dark Raichu and Fossil Zapdos. He does a lot of bench damage and has plenty of Potions and Gusts to keep things on his side. Of course, as you saw, the AI did basically none of that, I keep listing the potential of these decks, but it's a miracle if they even evolve anything, let alone follow a strat. I wonder if I should even bother lmao

Whaaat?! Isaac, you clumsy fool! Alright, Minto, you may have won this time... but you're still no match for me. Take some time to toughen up. I'll be waiting in in the Psychic Club for you. See you. Oh, oh, and since I don't need the Lightning Club anymore, it's yours. I don't need to collect any of the weak cards here anyway. Later, Minto. Remember, I'll be waiting at the Psychic Club.

I can't belive it! You somehow rescued the Lightning Club! Please take this Lightning Coin as a reward!

I've heard that their Club Master, Murray, has also been captured. Surely you can find a way to help him like you've helped me! Good luck, Minto!!

The Psychic Club has been under GR No.4's control, too. Surely she's employed some sort of dastardly trap over there...

That GR No.4 ran off... now how will I get my Pikachu back?

I just saw GR No.4 running out, yelling about you, Minto. I just knew you were strong enough to defeat Team GR. You're so tough, Minto!!

Well we can't let them just escape like that!

Dizzy Punch: Flip 2 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

Mega Punch

Our first new Promo is a pretty standard Kangaskhan, nothing particularly special about it, though it is quite a coveted and rare card. Released through the Parent/Child Mega Battle tournament in May 1998 to those with a certain number of wins, it has the TCG logo as the set symbol, reserved for the rarest of cards, making it a very pretty collectors item. That's about it.

That's great... but you won't fight me just yet. Isn't that right, Murray?

Precisely... Lady GR No.4...

These are my terms for our duel: you must defeat Murray first.

We can head straight to Murray, but he's not the only fight in this club, so hey, let's fight Stephanie.

What?! That's like my entire strategy!!! gently caress!!!

Oh hey remember when Kadabra cards used to be a thing? There's actually 2 Vending Kadabra since there's no Vending Alakazam, though only one is in the game. Its first attack, Psycho Panic, is pretty crazy, 30 damage for 2 energy and does DOUBLE DAMAGE against other Psychic cards. Remember some of them are weak to Psychic! All for 2 energy, goddamn.

Anyway it dies in one hit, same for Abra. Thank you for not using Base Alakazam, although the Promo Alakazam is also pretty scary, we'll see it later I'm sure. Otherwise she has Gengar and Mewtwo, being able to trade for which cards she wants, as well as Breeder to fully evolve them. Since we need to beat the Lightning Club to come here, the difficulty is bumped up ever so slightly.

Man, do I have to fight Murray?

If you wish to challenge me, you must defeat Murray first. I've already told you this! Remember this time!

He doesn't seem any different. He was one of the hardest fights last game, let's see how he is now.

Club Master Duel

I'll drink to that bro, he's starting off with Friendship Song.

Alright hopefully I can draw into something and actually hit this drat puff.

Oh hey, an evolution card. Finally.

We saw this GB Ninetales last game, Mixing Embers has the potential to be crazy, buuuuuut to beat one 50HP mon that keeps spamming SHINING FINGER for 20 damage is going to be...

Fun. Very, very fun.

Easy clean up from there. Murray doesn't have Alakazam, thank god, but does have Vending Slowbro and Wigglytuff, which are annoying and terrifying, respectively. Standard healing items, then Moon Stone, from the Vending expansion, lets you search for an evolved Colourless, interesting, couple of those to save Computer Search.

It seems to have been triggered from my defeat! Thank you, Minto! Will you still fight with GR No.4? In that case, accept this gift. You should find it quite helpful to take her down!

It's a nice change of pace. While I seem to be freed from the mind control, the others are not. I'm afraid the spell can't be broken until GR No.4 is defeated. Please do your best, Minto!

Ew, another lovely deck. Unforgiving Anti-GR4 Deck focuses on Psychic and Lightning, with Haunter, Kadabra, Raichu and Electabuzz. It has 2 free Bill and a DCE, so hey that's nice, but with no fun evolutions, it'll probably come up short. Still Kadabra's Super Psy and Intro Raichu do some pretty good damage, but best to wrap them into something else and have fun with some alright toys.

Big deal! I'm super-strong myself, so you'd best be ready to loooose! 6 prize cards, kid. Oh ho ho, can you really beat me?

Team GR Leader

Yo, Minto! Are you checking your mail? I've got some intel about GR No.4. Her deck uses Water and Psychic Pokemon. She's got pure power with her Kingler's Double-Edged Claw! I've gotta go talk to Murray from the Psychic Club somehow so he can give me some tips on how to ward off her evil spirits... Ronald (O__O)

Alright, since we just got the deck to beat her, then you know what types she uses. Well, her mask is actually truthful this time, since she has a Psychic and Water deck.

Ice Punch hurts, so we'll have to use this Vending Vulpix, which can drag in opponents before doing damage.

Oh no you don't!

Let's use the other GB attack. It bites me immediately.

Salt Water: Flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for up to 3 Water Energy cards and attach them to this Pokémon.

Double-Edged Claw: During your opponent’s next turn, all damage done to this Pokémon is doubled.

Until it helps me instead! Like I need double damage to kill this Vending Kingler, but it could be real scary if you can't retaliate!

Remember that this isn't the Card Pop! Mew, it's the standard devolution one that also really hurts cards with a lot of energy on them.

But since she keeps getting lucky with Hypnosis, let's switch and flip a million coins instead. Sound better? Sure, we'll go with that.

She keeps retreating, so this isn't too great. You ever try to punch a psy? A bench punisher is pretty funny, especially since it can't be resisted by common Colourless mons, but in some situations, especially early game, Psypunch will do you better.

She won't show it off, but its art is badass, so here it is. I guess this gives a Psychic deck options against Fire ones? Still, 3 cards in a pinch is pretty good, and Super Psy has always been a good card, so definitely an interesting niche it's carved out.

Just like that. We saw drat near every card in her deck, aside from Seadra, so you can see what she wants to do. Couple of Energy Removals, couple of Bills, nothing all that crazy, just hits you hard with Psychic damage, or in the case of Golduck and Jynx, Water with Psychic or Psychic with Water.

It was just a fluke you won... but because you bested my toughness, take this coin piece.

You can travel to GR Island if you collect all 4 GR Coin pieces! With the full coin, you may ride our airship at the island's airport. That all depends on whether you're strong enough to beat us all! Well, see ya!

Thank you, Minto. It seems the club's safe now. I'll make sure Team GR doesn't capture us all again.

Oh? Is that so? Thank you, Minto! My name's Robert. I'm a member of the Psychic Club. Really, thank you so much for saving our club!

I'm Daniel! I'm in the Psychic Club. Thanks for bringing us out of that trance Team GR put us under. But please don't lose respect for our Club Master, Murray... it's been so long since he's had such tough opposition...

I am... Stephanie of the Psychic Club... GR No.4... this resentment... I will remember...

Phew, that was quite the update, we've done quite a lot, so next time we'll head to other Clubs and hopefully we'll get this wrapped up in-

Rival Theme

Wow! So you beat two members of Team GR already? I wouldn't expect otherwise from my destined rival! Fortunately, I've been amassing lots of card myself. I've got a full deck now! Let's have a duel! We'll use 6 prize cards! If you win, I'll give you a rare card!

Ronald was one of the few characters to get new artwork. Dr. Mason got some too, but the scans are incredibly bad, and only 1 new character in this game got artwork, you can probably guess who. Anyway, he's still got them poses down after all this time, I'm so proud.

We're at a bit of a disadvantage since he's using Water, but maybe if I confuse him enough...

But hey, we've got some embers going, so maybe- I wonder how many times I can make this joke.

As expected, the cards I had gathered weren't quite enough... well, I guess it was inevitable. Here, this card is now yours!

I need to collect more cards... anyway, if I dig up any new intel about Team GR, I'll let you know!

Cool, with that diversion out of the way, it's on to the next club!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poor Kadabra. Uri Geller, the spoon-bending "psychic" fraud, threatened to sue over Kadabra's design and as a result there have been no new Kadabra cards for over a decade.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chamale posted:

Poor Kadabra. Uri Geller, the spoon-bending "psychic" fraud, threatened to sue over Kadabra's design and as a result there have been no new Kadabra cards for over a decade.

I wonder what the specifics to this whole thing was, exactly. It's basically banned from the card game, it hasn't shown up in the anime outside of a cameo in a World of Pokemon segment (even porygon gets in those) and it apparently missed out on a Rnager game that otherwise had Abra & Alakazam but it still shows up everywhere else. It even got some merch semi-recently.
Even Jynx didn't get this soft-banned.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Chamale posted:

So as someone who doesn't follow the modern TCG at all, do Abra cards just go straight to Alakazam then? I'm assuming they didn't ban the entire line(although that'd be funny/sad too).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
There hasn't been an Abra card since 2007, and that card had an ability to evolve straight to Alakazam.

There hasn't been a Kadabra siiiince 2003.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Every Alakazam that's been printed since then has been something that can just drop on the board as a 'Zam right away. At this point, they could probably just settle with Uri out of court, but that's not likely to happen when it's cheaper and easier for them to just... not print Kadabras.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
They also named Kadabra after Uri in the original Japanese, which probably doesn’t help.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is weird that the Kadabra ban is limited to the card game. Abra shows up all the time in the mainline series.

In the main games the weird shadow ban has been Glameow/Purrugly who have been available before the post game exactly once, in Pokemon Pearl.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I'd guess the difference is that you can't really stop Kadabra from appearing in the main games for most of their lifespan. It was in Ruby and Sapphire, sure, but that got released before the softban (2002 in Japan vs. 2003's Skyridge/2002 for the Japanese counterpart sets), and from then on you could transfer it forward. ...Granted, they could maybe try to not put it in almost every regional dex if it's such a problem, though it doesn't appear super-often as a wild encounter (Shows up in Gen IV and Let's Go as a wild encounter. Notably, you can get an Alakazam as an in-game trade in White 2... completely skipping over Kadabra in the process). And, again, it'd have to crop up anyway for the National Dex (pre-Sun and Moon).

It isn't in Sword and Shield, for what it's worth, and you can't stop it from evolving with an Everstone (and it's the only Pokemon that does so).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The game sure ignores the fact that Isaac was willingly on Team GR's side before you kicked his boss' rear end. At least Murray was brainwashed, Isaac has no excuses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Uh no, we saved him. He was definitely under duress. He was totally on our side. Please dont take all of his cards.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: Few, Frenetic Fights

There's still half of the island to free, and we'll do so with a fossil Lockdown deck, suggested by Gridlocked. I wanted to show off a fossil deck, since they're... interesting. However, the main issue is that Mysterious Fossil isn't a Basic, so you can't solely use Fossil mons, so Lapras will be slapped on for better energy balance and something to start with.

If so, you must first defeat me in a card duel! 6! We'll duel with 6 prize cards!

GR Leader Battle

Yo, Minto! Are you checking your mail? I've secured some more important information about Team GR! This time, I pulled all the stops! Don't let my efforts go to waste! I've been shadowing GR No.3 lately. His deck is made of Grass and Fire Pokemon! If he sets up his Exeggutor, its Big Eggsplosion can really hurt! Be careful! Ronald (O__O)

First goal of any fossil deck is getting out your Mysterious Fossils, and hoping to god your opponent doesn't snipe them during their turn. Fossil Excavation is useful for this since it lets you find one from your deck OR discard, which will keep this deck running smooth.

Fuckin balls... anyway we've seen what this Lapras does, so we'll focus on the other cards. And of course, despite having a Lightning mask, we're fighting a Grass and Fire deck. One does lead to the other I suppose.

We nearly lost here since I wasn't drawing into anything and was left with a single Mysterious Fossil. That was a close one!

Thankfully we're able to turn this around, cause this Kabutops is great! I like using the different cards a mon has, but Kabutops only gets the one until the GS era for whatever reason. Anyway, Sharp Sickle is very useful and if you charge it up some more, it'll heal itself, since it's pretty drat fragile. This is essentially a Stage 2 for how much it needs setup, but since we're facing a Vending Moltres that needs as much setup as us, I think we'll be fine.

The, well, Fossil Omanyte has a pretty drat good power, seeing what our opponent is up to, the cheeky bugger. That Exeggutor looks scary, so let's try to avoid it. I'm also using the two Vending Omanyte, which also have interesting effects, giving you 10 extra damage from all your fossil mons for a turn, or letting you draw a Mysterious Fossil from the discard. If you get a coin flip, of course.

This Fighting resistance all the birds have is a pain, but it's not like it's doing anything in return.

Let's at least speed this up a bit. If they didn't keep running away. OMASTAR can be built up in the back for Water Gun, which is still a nice attack, even if you lose Clairvoyance to do it. You could also try your luck with Spike Cannon, but Water Gun gets just as strong with a couple extra turns of setup, so it's not a big deal. Still, considering how much effort these fossils are to evolve, the end result isn't hugely amazing.

Oh yeah, that's why you use fossil decks, cause Aerodactyl has an amazing power. Make sure you've got everything you want before you plop this card down, especially if you're using other Aerodactyl to attack. But if you've got a deck full of Basics, then you can completely screw over your opponent. Uh, unless they're also using Basics, but really, it's not like they're the most popular cards or anything, r-right?

But of course this screws over the AI like you wouldn't believe, leaving them with a bunch of weak unevolved Pokemon that you can easily pick off. Okay, these images aren't the best examples, but GR No.3 has 6 different cards that can evolve, even if they don't have the entire evolutionary lines.

This constant switching is a bit of a pain, but that's why running two types is useful in case you run into a deck that really screws you over.

Ah, more of these Dark thingys. There is a Dark Charizard, but GR No.3 decided not to use one, probably because it can only evolve from Dark Charmeleon, whereas this can evolve from any Charmander. Its attack is weirdly worded, of course you'd need Fire energy to use it, morons, but a coin flip is pretty eh. Considering regular Charmeleon is pretty drat good, it's hard to recommend it, but maybe Dark Charizard is worth it (spoilers, it isn't).

In a pinch, Aerodactly does alright damage with Wing Attack, nothing too tough!

And you'll take these lovely booster packs! I'll set the club members free from their cage now. Here goes--! GRAAAAAAAHHH!!!! Don't think you've won! I've still got the Fire Club under my control! I'll be waiting for you at the Fire Club, kid!

Water Club

Thank you so much for defeating that Team GR member! Here-- take this deck as a reward for your victory. It should be useful in battling GR No.3 later!

GR No.3 is in the Fire Club now. Be extra careful around him! I know you'll succeed, Minto!!

Both Amanda and I almost drowned in the pool... we were getting exhausted treading water inside that cage. Thank you, Minto. You saved us just in time!

I'm Amanda! Thank you so much for your help. Only you could have done it, Minto!

Hmm, well, maybe I should've done this first, considering they were on a time limit to drowning and all... those wacky card games!

That GR No.3 was rushing out of here so fast, he dropped some cards! I'll take this Lost Isle booster pack. Here, you can have the other, a Legends booster pack! Keep up your rhythm of defeating the Team GR members! I'll help by sharing any booster packs I find! Later, Minto!

Now that we've had help from our ~ Friendly Rival ~ it's time to free another club.

Scratch

Clear Profit: Flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, draw a card.

Oh look it's a terrible Promo Meowth that I guess you could use for early game draws before dying? It was available as an insert in the Jan 98 CoroCoro issue and was never available otherwise. Cool, or whatever.

He has since returned here and is waiting for you! You can win again, I know it! Good luck, Minto!!

It was my own foolishness that cost me ownership of the Water Club. It caused me a lot of mental trauma losing to a twerp like you! However, I've gotten stronger. You'll never free the Fire Club! We'll have a fateful duel with 6 prize cards! If you somehow manage to best me again, I'll free the Fire Club!

GR Leader Battle

Boy doesn't this look familiar. GR No.3 is lying, he's using the exact same deck, but we got a theme deck to make this rematch easier, since we had such a hard time last time? Vengeful Anti-GR3 Deck features Gyarados, Wartortle, Ninetales and Arcanine, so it's not too bad, but it has too few Fire energy for how discard happy that type is. But I'll happily take the Bill and Prof Oak! Sucker.

Here's a fun strat, let's slap down an Aero immediately so all we have to face are weak basics. Sure, we could've put some more Aero down, but oh where's the fun in that. This is all we'll need.

Dry Up can be a pain, but only if it actually lands more than 1 head.

Paralysis is a great time to switch to the Vending Lapras. 2 energy for 30 damage with Surf is pretty nice.

But man this is pretty easy, imagine if he could actually evolve any of these mons??? Well, as you can see, Dark Gloom is annoying, but nothing too crazy, but Dark Vileplume would've screwed us over, though thankfully Mysterious Fossil is a Trainer in name only. Thankfully its attack means you don't want to do more than 30 damage, but it's also not a big deal with switches. Otherwise, they had Jungle Pinsir, which does a fair bit of damage for not much setup, and Exeggutor, which we all know how terrifying that is.

Ahah, you just activated my trap card! Surprised it took me that long to make that joke, but leaving a Mysterious Fossil around can be helpful, since the AI can't resist and you don't lose a prize for it.

Nooo! Defeated again... how are you so strong?! Argh... take these booster packs. You've also earned this for defeating me twice.

If you own all four, you can use our airship at the airport. It only flies to GR Island, where I happen to be headed myself. Since you've defeated me, I'll free the Fire Club right away.

Fire Club

Minto, you have my gratitude. Please, come over here. We! The Fire Club! Thank you for your help!! I know it's not much, but take this Fire coin.

Use the Fire coin in a duel to singe your competition! Please hurry and defeat any GR thugs still hanging around!

We saw your battle, and wow! You burned so hot! I'd love to have a duel with you!

You burned! You sizzled! You spread like wildfire! I can't help but feel the urge to have a duel with you!

Thanks, Minto! You pulled through! Fire! Come back sometime so we can have a duel! FIIIRE!!

One last GR member remains, and since we've done 2 battles so far, we'll stick with the fossil deck for a little bit longer.

You fought Miss Brittany to learn of my whereabouts, right? Thank you very much, Minto. Since you could defeat Brittany, surely you're trustworthy. Please take this. It might be useful when fighting GR No.2.

Please do your best to save the Grass Club!

Alright, let's go fight the- uh, are they not here?

Team GR Takeover!

Ah, so a GR No.3 situation, gotta fight them twice to clear out both clubs. Very well, I accept! Oh wait, got some mail.

Riveting, gimme the free stuff old man!!!

That includes this Club's Master, Rick, of course! He's aaall ours! Ohhh? Who's there?! So the rumors are true! It's you, Minto! Let's see just how strong you are in reality! 6 prize cards! Let's gooo!

GR Leader Battle

Yo, Minto! I've got some new intel for you. It's really useful stuff!! I wrote as soon as I could! Be sure to keep checking your mail for my updates, Minto! My latest reconnaissance uncovered GR No.2's deck: it's made of Grass and Fighting Pokemon. Be especially wary of his Dark Arbok! (O__O)

Alright, what kind of deck have you got?

Just what Ronald said, was he also using Omanyte? The Give In! Anti-GR2 Deck is alright due to having Seaking and Parasect as the main focus, along with Ivysaur and, uh, Kakuna? 2 Pluspowers are very, VERY nice and you're given enough Magikarp between 2 decks to fill them out, so that's cool I guess? All these theme decks are mostly lame, but that's why you carve them up into something delicious!

Alright, enough of these drat evolutions, let's slap you down! Attacks that have the opponent flip the coin are pretty rare, means it's not your fault if it doesn't work out, but due to how hilariously fragile this mon on, I don't think they're really gonna retreat, right? I don't really see the point in using this over EARTHQUAKE!!!

Oh hey Sandslash isn't a Pokemon we haven't really seen, but that's because they're pretty bad. Maybe this Vending one is maybe slightly more interesting? Maybe not.

Alright, it's probably for the best we can evolve stuff again, might as well have the opponent put up some kind of resistance.

Dynamax Diglett???

We're nearly at the end, and to be fair, they're kinda kicking my rear end, but here's the other Dark Pokemon they're using. It's fine, I guess, Poison Vapor takes a lot of energy for not a lot of damage, but it has utility. If Stare was a blanket Power stop for a turn, then this could've been interesting, but it's a bit fragile and doesn't do too much to justify it.

And that's a wrap, somewhat of a close fight, they had a Parasect, a Pinsir and Onix as other mons we didn't see, but they could get cluttered with spare Geodude and leftover Ekans that it's a miracle we saw as many evolutions as we did.

Go on over to our airport. Show them that coin and you can fly for free! By the by, we still have the Science Club Master, Rick, in our custody. If you want him back, you'll just have to come to GR Island. Maybe I'll see you on our island! I'm outta heeere!

Rival Theme

I was busy while you were fighting against the members of Team GR. I snuck aboard their airship and took back some stolen cards! The cards have been returned to their owners in the island's Clubs! I also managed to snatch a few booster packs while I was there! Here, this Lost Isle booster pack has your name on it!! The airship that flies to GR Island is finally ready to board! You've gotta go! But be careful! It's enemy territory over there! I'm going to stick around this island and collect some more cards. My deck needs a lot of work before I'm ready to travel! I'll see ya later, Minto.

Guess we only fight GR No.2 the once? Weird. Well, everyone has their cards back and are ready to duel, if we so wish, but to dangle this new island in front of you and not go would be pretty mean, so let's get rocking!

GR No.5: Great! I'll allow you free passage to GR Island! Follow me.

They're acting like we can't immediately head back. Don't worry about any of that, hopping between both islands is what we'll be doing a fair bit of.

On To GR Island!

Well there's our final destination. Boy is there a lot in our way to get to it.

GR Island

Already there's a lot to explore and go over. Starting with, hm, this place?

Alrighty then. Well, we're in enemy territory, people are relying on us and we need to take them down as soon as we can, and there must be absolutely no distra-

Ooh, gambling!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Short and sweet Xmas update cause I usually have quiet holidays, so uh, why not?

Anyway, now that we're on a new island, it's time to open the floodgates and let you guys suggest decks to use for the rest of the game! Like before, it'll be pretty simple, but this time, you're offering up a Dark Pokemon for me to use! Just make sure it's not from a future expansion like Neo Destiny.

Feel free to suggest a second Pokemon to pair with the Dark Pokemon, no matter how well they synergise, preferably a Pokemon we haven't focused on before. You can also suggest Trainers and full decks if you really want, but I'll definitely focus on the Dark Starters if you want to suggest partners for those. There's over 400 cards in this game, so I'd better see some cool poo poo!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Huh, that Mysterious Fossil has entirely different artwork, that's a bit weird for this game

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

rannum posted:

Huh, that Mysterious Fossil has entirely different artwork, that's a bit weird for this game

that's because it's not a Mysterious Fossil, it's Fossil Excavation.

Crosspeice posted:

First goal of any fossil deck is getting out your Mysterious Fossils, and hoping to god your opponent doesn't snipe them during their turn. Fossil Excavation is useful for this since it lets you find one from your deck OR discard, which will keep this deck running smooth.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I request a pandering team with Dark Raichu and everyone's favorite pokemon but evil Dark Charizard

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I'll suggest Dark Machamp.

No idea where to go from there, but its second attack seems neat, so!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to remember the rules for max card count, is dark blastoise x blastoise feasible?

Alternatively dark magneton and something with good bench damage could be funny. Call it shutdown.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LiefKatano posted:

I'll suggest Dark Machamp.
Same here, it seems extremely dickish on paper. Maybe support with Dark Primeape until you set one up?