Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The game that taught kids who couldn't comprehend the rulebook how to play (me). Memories of a much simpler game compared to the modern sets.

Go with Gengar and Hypno, the deck of Nightmares

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do I understand right that when you draw a prize card it gets added to your hand for that match and you return it to the owner after the match ends?

When you take a prize card you take it from your prizes and add it to your hand. You don't take an opponent's card.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there (still) strategies based around stalling so the opponent empties their deck?

How much do you get beaten up afterwards if you use one of those in a competition?

There was a Durant that milled equal to the copies of itself in play, an legit deck out strategy until they printed a supporter (Lysander's Trump Card) that shuffled the discard pile back into the deck.

More recent is just straight up stalling with Wailord GX (250 HP) or Magikarp & Wailord Tag Team GX (300), stealers of Blissey's VG title of beefiest HP. Also makes use of other stallers like Shuckle GX and Xurkitree GX.

anilEhilated posted:

You can actually build an early one in this game - it was based on the combo of Alakazam (who can distribute damage counters among your pokemon) and Chansey (120 HP basic) along with several other pokemon good at stalling (Mr Mime, Snorlax, Mewtwo - although the last one suffers from a crippling weakness to a very common trainer card).

If you want a self healer without relying on trainers, Tentacool. Its Pokemon Power lets it bounce back to the hand. 30 HP so have Zam transfer 20 damage to it, bounce it and do it again next turn. 4 Tentas = potential 80 damage healed each turn.

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 27, 2019

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

MightyPretenders posted:

I'll be honest. I gave up on getting back into pokemon cards when I heard they'd gone the route of disallowing old card sets.

It was always like that, same as MtG having their rotation blocks. Power creep would eventually call for buying new cards to stay competitive anyway. Nothing stops people from using old cards in casual play.

Yugioh went the route of everything in rotation and the ever changing ban/limited list has words about the pros/cons of that style. Power creep still there too.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Quote =/= edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It does not. And matches are best of one. Because that's fun.

Top cuts at tournaments at least go to best 2-of-3 matches with some time rules that I don’t care to remember