Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Do a Charizard/fire deck with no fire energy and as few non-fire types as you dare.
Might even find a use for the godawful Flareon that way.

Slippery42 posted:

Quite the understatement! As I remember the meta during the period this game's based on, Wigglytuff was one of the few evolution cards viable at all in competitive play. If you saw evolutions at all, they'd almost always be Wiggly, Blastoise, or Alakazam. Water and Psychic suffered from having few/no viable basic-level powerhouses, so they'd have to be a little lucky in order to survive until their decks got going. The Normal-type Wigglytuff, however, could be bolted onto basically anything (including the Haymaker standards of Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, or Fossil Magmar).
Wigglytuff gets loving terrifying once you realize a) the double colorless exists, b) just how much card draw there is to power up his attack.
Also I'm not sure what haymakers you used to play in the days of yore but here it was always Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther. No fire involved.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slippery42 posted:

Magmar was a bit more often favored at a shop I played at that ran tournaments using Japanese rules and expansions. There was a Zapdos in one of those sets (I think the second Gym expansion) that a lot of players would use instead of/alongside Electabuzz, and with Scyther being a given, that was enough resistance to fighting to make people playing the meta consider alternatives.
Rocket's Zapdos? That thing was broken as hell.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there (still) strategies based around stalling so the opponent empties their deck?
You can actually build an early one in this game - it was based on the combo of Alakazam (who can distribute damage counters among your pokemon) and Chansey (120 HP basic) along with several other pokemon good at stalling (Mr Mime, Snorlax, Mewtwo - although the last one suffers from a crippling weakness to a very common trainer card).
That being said, even with all the card draw and digging you can do with Trainers, this can take a while.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What's that weakness, Fairy? I quit during Gen 2 so it's kind of interesting to see where the game went afterwards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Materant posted:

Just like the real card game!
As a kid, I ran a deck built around the Gengar that makes the sleep status need two successful coinflips to wake up from.
I was a nasty little poo poo, apparently.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 18, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LiefKatano posted:

I'll suggest Dark Machamp.
Same here, it seems extremely dickish on paper. Maybe support with Dark Primeape until you set one up?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see some Dark Golbat shenanigans. Admittedly, I have no idea if they're viable at all. The card looks really cool, sneaky sniper and all that, but seems to be lacking in the numbers department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, totally voting for Hamlet as the perfect piggy name. Don't really care about the monkey but Tristan has a nice ring to it.