Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

lol did you just rob a bank

e: I can't help with that want list but if you ever want to sell slap fight hit me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

lol did you just rob a bank

e: I can't help with that want list but if you ever want to sell slap fight hit me up

LOL, you should see my collection, it's like I'm a YouTube turd... I mean influencer or something.

If you want it, it's yours man. I don't know if you want to pay what I paid for it, but I don't want any profit, it's yours for my cost plus shipping.

I'm not sure it's not a bootleg though, I'll be happy to send you pictures, just shoot me a PM. Oh, also, I have no idea if it works, but I believe it was sold to me working.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Since you offered up a game for sale and have quite the list.. one of the System 16's happen to be the C hack as Fantasy Zone 2 dx?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

falz posted:

Since you offered up a game for sale and have quite the list.. one of the System 16's happen to be the C hack as Fantasy Zone 2 dx?

I do have a minty FZ2DX, what do you have for trade?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat. STUN runner was the poo poo. That same arcade would allow static electricity by rubbing your foot on th floor with one quarter.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

XtraSmiley posted:

I do have a minty FZ2DX, what do you have for trade?
Holy poo poo you seriously have this? That's kinda nutty, you're crazy. I don't have a ton of arcade stuff, I have a few cabinets but all I really have are MVS carts, and the only ones I'd care to part with are common fighters which aren't that interesting to much of anyone. I have no idea what an actual cost of that board is since ive never really seen one sell or be available to sell, but if you are interested in selling, I'd be curious.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hi I have a Shinobi system 16b with the non-encrypted cpu. Do you have any wonderboy III rom boards I could slap on mine?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

falz posted:

Holy poo poo you seriously have this? That's kinda nutty, you're crazy. I don't have a ton of arcade stuff, I have a few cabinets but all I really have are MVS carts, and the only ones I'd care to part with are common fighters which aren't that interesting to much of anyone. I have no idea what an actual cost of that board is since ive never really seen one sell or be available to sell, but if you are interested in selling, I'd be curious.

Nice collection, but I don't have need for console games unless you have a Strider 2 on PS1.

That being said, FZ2DX is easy to get as I have a friend who buys minty boards and adds a PCB he designed to double the RAM and loads up the game onto it. It's the only way to get DX on S16 since it was actually designed for the Playstation 2. That being said, the game actually has some errors because M2 didn't actually test it on real S16 hardware, but our own Hatsui Mike on here is an amazing programmer who has worked on fixing some of these errors.

If you want to read more about this go here:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63836

If you want to buy a converted board, I won't sell mine as I LOVE the game, but PM me and I'll put you in touch with my friend who makes them.

flyboi posted:

Hi I have a Shinobi system 16b with the non-encrypted cpu. Do you have any wonderboy III rom boards I could slap on mine?

I have a WB3, but don't want to rip the ROMs off. For you, I would say skip your plan of one to one conversions and just buy the S16 multi game, so for not much money you can play every S16 ever made with your Shinobi board. (tell 'em XtraSmiley sent ya!)

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/5798-finally-multi-system-16b-sega/&pageNo=1

For both of you, that "every game" comment doesn't apply to FZ2DX... unless you modify your S16 board for the double RAM, then there is word that you can load ALL the games.... :P

Finally, you can just grab a MiSTer as S16 support was just announced!

Hope all this has been helpful guys!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
i'm already on the waiting list i'm just impatient :o:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

XtraSmiley posted:

Nice collection, but I don't have need for console games unless you have a Strider 2 on PS1.

That being said, FZ2DX is easy to get as I have a friend who buys minty boards and adds a PCB he designed to double the RAM and loads up the game onto it. It's the only way to get DX on S16 since it was actually designed for the Playstation 2. That being said, the game actually has some errors because M2 didn't actually test it on real S16 hardware, but our own Hatsui Mike on here is an amazing programmer who has worked on fixing some of these errors.

If you want to read more about this go here:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63836

If you want to buy a converted board, I won't sell mine as I LOVE the game, but PM me and I'll put you in touch with my friend who makes them.

Awesome, I'll pm you.

And yes I actually do have PS1 Strider 2, both with both discs, fwiw. It's even in that photo!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

falz posted:

Awesome, I'll pm you.

And yes I actually do have PS1 Strider 2, both with both discs, fwiw. It's even in that photo!

PM replied, and let me know if you want to sell it! I'm looking for a near mint one and the many on eBay tend to be scratched a bit.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Got this cool little game in today

It's Heavy Smash by Data East. Extremely fun multiplayer and great 90's cyber sports aesthetic

e: speaking of multis, I recently ordered a M72 multi without reading the fine print, turns out that my only M72 board (JP R-Type) is the only one not compatible. all the other M72 games are like $600+ :suicide:

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 2, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

d0s posted:

It's Heavy Smash by Data East. Extremely fun multiplayer and great 90's cyber sports aesthetic

What I'm learning here is that Windjammers is for casuals.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

Got this cool little game in today

e: speaking of multis, I recently ordered a M72 multi without reading the fine print, turns out that my only M72 board (JP R-Type) is the only one not compatible. all the other M72 games are like $600+ :suicide:

Good grab, that's a a good one, and another DE game that is underrated! I swear, most people give DE poo poo, but they were amazing in their heyday!

As for your M72 woes, yeah I hear you. I grabbed a $400 Dragon Breed in Japan before the multi came out b/c of how cool it seemed when I played it in Beep, and it was blind luck, as I didn't know anything about the system or the multi.

Since RT2 is worth so much money, I would sell it and buy a compatible M72 board. By the way, you should grab a cheap Major Title 2 (M92) now, before that multi comes out.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Since RT2 is worth so much money, I would sell it and buy a compatible M72 board. By the way, you should grab a cheap Major Title 2 (M92) now, before that multi comes out.

It's not RT2, it's the first one. Still worth quite a bit (less now that the multi is out) though I am planning on selling it to fund a compatible M72 board

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

So here is the guy I recommend for conversion PCBs. He knows his stuff, is very professional, neat, and also in the US and will do FaceTime if you have any problems with the PCBs for any reason.

Also, if you get the System 16 multi, he can make it work with FZ2DX as well.

Tell him XtraSmiley sent ya!

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=4168791#post4168791

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Someone is selling this local to me for $480. I've never seen this type of arcade before, apparently they were made for some movie theater chain, but seems pretty cool. Comes with working PCB's for each interchangeable control panel. I just don't have the space and can't really afford it anyways :smith: An arcade machine with 3 working pcb's and it has been unsold for over a month.

Even more tempting that I know MiSTer can somehow be used with jamma arcades now...

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 7, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Someone is selling this local to me for $480. I've never seen this type of arcade before, apparently they were made for some movie theater chain, but seems pretty cool. Comes with working PCB's for each interchangeable control panel. I just don't have the space and can't really afford it anyways :smith: An arcade machine with 3 working pcb's and it has been unsold for over a month.

Even more tempting that I know MiSTer can somehow be used with jamma arcades now...

Neat design, kinda like a Neo-Geo gold cab. Price seems fair if the monitor is good, compact cabs like that are really desirable. What boards does it come with? e:didn't see that the boards correspond to the panels, not exactly the best selection even though Vigilante is a game I love despite the jank and Ninja Kids is kinda fun despite the outlandish racist caricatures

Also,

(didn't make this but i loled)

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 7, 2020

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

d0s posted:

Neat design, kinda like a Neo-Geo gold cab. Price seems fair if the monitor is good, compact cabs like that are really desirable. What boards does it come with?

The boards match the control panels, so it comes with Robocop, Vigilante and Ninja Kids. Says it's got a 19" K7000 with a recently done cap kit.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

The boards match the control panels, so it comes with Robocop, Vigilante and Ninja Kids. Says it's got a 19" K7000 with a recently done cap kit.

yeah I saw that and edited my post. from what I understand that is a pretty well regarded monitor (may be thinking of a different WG model). if the screen is not burned in it should be nice

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

katkillad2 posted:

not sure how much robocop goes for but for a weird jank cab with a small monitor almost 500$ seems pretty high to me. dont feel bad passing on it

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

The fact that it's set up to slot in boards like a giant JAMMA cartridge, which honestly, is pretty cool from a technical standpoint. Shame they had to shave the marquees and the CPO art. Even if the games are kind meh (minus Robocop, as a Michigan resident I am required by law to respect and cherish Robocop) it still be something cool to document if nothing else.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

with a small monitor

gently caress I missed that it was 19" and not 25", yeah I kinda revise what I said earlier, 19" is kinda miserable to play on if it's going to be your only cab

e: though tiny cabs in general are cool, and that thing could be cool for casual play if you made a singe good 2L6B panel for it and threw out all the happ junk

e2: do people like robocop/does it go for a lot? the few times I've tried it it seemed really bad. great movie obv

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 9, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

d0s posted:

e2: do people like robocop/does it go for a lot? the few times I've tried it it seemed really bad. great movie obv

It's not an *amazing* side-scroller or anything. But, as far as licensed games go, the two Robocop arcade games are pretty enjoyable. And you can't go wrong with Data East.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

d0s posted:

I played a few rounds back in the day. Decent game, but past the first level it's a huge quarter-muncher.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gynovore posted:

I played a few rounds back in the day. Decent game, but past the first level it's a huge quarter-muncher.

Even the ED-209 boss of the first level is extremely cheap in the arcade version.

I had the Apple II port as a kid and it was shockingly good as a port of the actual arcade game, albeit at 1/4 speed (which just meant I got real good at slowmo Robocop).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

2reachmu posted:

The fact that it's set up to slot in boards like a giant JAMMA cartridge, which honestly, is pretty cool from a technical standpoint. Shame they had to shave the marquees and the CPO art. Even if the games are kind meh (minus Robocop, as a Michigan resident I am required by law to respect and cherish Robocop) it still be something cool to document if nothing else.

Yea this is what I liked about it, no effort on my end to potentially get into JAMMA boards. Also it's local to me and the guy said he would deliver and there's almost never anything local to me worth looking into. Also it would be low effort into getting MiSTer to work with it I think. I'm not going to buy it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret it at some point. Apparently the monitor could be adjusted to be vertical as well, another nice bonus.

I mean like ideally a candy cab would be preferable if MiSTer is my primary motivation, but that's like $1500-$2k shipped to me. So in comparison, a $520 delivered working arcade with 3 PCB's sounds like a steal.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
I'm picking up my first full-sized cab tomorrow. I've got a pick-up truck and plenty of manpower, but is there anything to know about moving and transporting them?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

ControlV posted:

I'm picking up my first full-sized cab tomorrow. I've got a pick-up truck and plenty of manpower, but is there anything to know about moving and transporting them?

Look inside even if it's working to make sure nothing is loose or hanging.

A lot of games I've grabbed have had the PCB just floating by the harness. Bad for transport.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I moved two cabinets between houses about a year ago.

Consensus was to cover in moving blankets and then wrap with plastic wrap used for pallets. Worked great, may not be fully necessary in your case, mine were going in a moving truck with other stuff.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
What's a good front end for MAME anyway?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I like advance menu which is a part of advance mame. I used this on an arcade cabinet with 640p crt. No frills straight to the point.

Screenshot at the bottom of https://falz.net/wiki/Neo_Geo_Arcade_Cabinet

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shinino Kage posted:

What's a good front end for MAME anyway?

I want to purchase a new HD and a Usenet account to get all the CHDs and Software Lists.

(Really could use a front-end to use Bank Street Writer again.)

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Got this baby last week, my first full-sized cabinet:

Anyone have a guide or any advice on how to clean and maintain it, and maybe how to fix nicks in the wood? Also came with this extra "cartridge", anyone know how to swap them out?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zeluth posted:

I want to purchase a new HD and a Usenet account to get all the CHDs and Software Lists.

(Really could use a front-end to use Bank Street Writer again.)

For some reason I never even thought about using Usenet for mame sets even though I have a Usenet account.

It seems like a lot of ROM stuff never gets uploaded there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you don't need the most recent of sets, archive.org has a full set that is current as of April I believe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ControlV posted:

Got this baby last week, my first full-sized cabinet:

Anyone have a guide or any advice on how to clean and maintain it, and maybe how to fix nicks in the wood? Also came with this extra "cartridge", anyone know how to swap them out?

Learn about the JAMMA standard

falz
Jan 29, 2005

And suicide batteries

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

For some reason I never even thought about using Usenet for mame sets even though I have a Usenet account.

It seems like a lot of ROM stuff never gets uploaded there.

I think you have to go to alt.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I know of a :filez: site, I just point it to my existing romset and it checksums and downloads all the new ones for the current version of mame. There’s a half TB of CHDs, many of which are Bemani titles, which may or may not be what you want.

Those MESS software sets are only mildly interesting for looking at though. There’s like a million computer chess devices they emulate, and you come across an emulation for a Russian VT220 terminal. I think I’d rather use a dedicated emulator for something like the C64 or Apple II