Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's so rough I can only hope it's not what went into test cabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is the game complete? I might have to figure out how to add it to my Mame cab. It didn't use any wacky controls right?

If it was based on NFL blitz hardware, then it may use the weird rear end 49-way joystick those machines had.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is the game complete? I might have to figure out how to add it to my Mame cab. It didn't use any wacky controls right?

FanaticalMilk posted:

If it was based on NFL blitz hardware, then it may use the weird rear end 49-way joystick those machines had.
It's based on the Incredible Technologies 32-bit hardware that drove the late-90s versions of Golden Tee Golf, and as such it uses a trackball.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Crossposting here because it's a niche item that may be of interest here - I bought a Pandora's Box 6 for my Astro City that, unfortunately, doesn't work because of the way the seller wired the cab (no Jamma power). If anyone is interested, the SA Mart link is below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958153

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

bloodysabbath posted:

Crossposting here because it's a niche item that may be of interest here - I bought a Pandora's Box 6 for my Astro City that, unfortunately, doesn't work because of the way the seller wired the cab (no Jamma power). If anyone is interested, the SA Mart link is below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958153

Fair price, but those things are hunks of poo poo. You should look into the MiSTer and the MiSTer arcade adapter, I think designed for AC in mind.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

dude if you can play other jamma games in your cab, it's wired correctly for power. They all need power. The problem is those pandoras boxes require a different pinout exclusive to them (e: but I think it's just some poo poo with buttons in weird places, if it's not working at all, the pandoras box is probably dead lol)

if you really don't have any power on your jamma harness there's something very wrong

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 15, 2021

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

d0s posted:

dude if you can play other jamma games in your cab, it's wired correctly for power. They all need power. The problem is those pandoras boxes require a different pinout exclusive to them (e: but I think it's just some poo poo with buttons in weird places, if it's not working at all, the pandoras box is probably dead lol)

if you really don't have any power on your jamma harness there's something very wrong

When I got the cab, I was told I would be given a PC connected to the jamma board, ready to go. This ended up being a total piece of poo poo, literally cobbled together from trash, that turned on all of twice. I never was able to get any kind of guidance because the seller speaks very little English. I probably would have left him a brutal review but honestly, the cab itself is in great shape.

First few Pandora Boxes wouldn't turn on when put in the jamma slot. Eventually I figured out that if I put in a cart in the jamma slot that would also accept a separate wall AC adapter, the cab would accept it, thus allowing me to use my very expensive paperweight. It's odd because you don't really switch anything on at the cab level, you just plug in the cab's cord, plug in the cart to jamma, then plug in the cart to an AC adapter and the screen and controls just "come on." That last step really is key, nothing works without the wall plug. I ran into similar problems with the light in the marquee, so I mounted an aftermarket LED bar from Amazon inside, closed it up, ran the plug out the back, and now I can actually select the color of the light as a bonus.

It does have the thing where you can only use four buttons, but other than MK and SF, that hasn't really been much of an issue.

I do wish I could just use the loving thing as intended. Maybe I'll dig up and post some of the wiring photos I took so you can all stare in equal parts disgust and awe. I wouldn't mind trying to get some 3D games working with all buttons, but I'm so afraid that if I try to change much of anything in there I will either fry my cab, myself, or both.

EDIT: Here they are. That thick black cord is actually a female plug for a PC's ATX power supply. I wish I were kidding, and I wish I knew how to just change the fucker back.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2021

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Something could be wrong with your AC wiring to cause the marquee light to stay off or it could just have a bad bulb or starter etc. Time to multimeter.

Just to be sure, you’re turning on both the rear switch and the power supply’s power switch? Both need to be on.

That AC cord is hacked in, no doubt about that, but if they just spliced into AC wiring and didn’t cut some to connect it then it might be fine to leave it. I’d yank it out and patch the splice personally.

Assuming you are getting AC power, the black box on the bottom is your power supply, and two connectors aren’t connected to it, so I think that’s causing you to not get power over JAMMA. There are other things that connect through the power supply though so I could have that wrong, don’t have one in front of me to look at.

I don’t know much about Pandora but they are wired weirdly, you can get a JNX Atlas to get a normal Jamma + kick harness connection from it. Then there should be a small harness floating around for the bottom 3 buttons per player (the kick buttons in Street Fighter, hence being called a Kick harness), if not you will need to buy wiring for one. Sega cabs are common so that should be simple to buy then connect.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 17, 2021

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Speaking of harnesses, I'm actually going to start selling Hand Crafted Artisanal arcade harnesses/adapters of all kinds, built with all genuine TE/HRS/JST/Molex/etc parts and crimped with the correct OEM tools (it's been an adventure tracking these down for all the different connectors used in arcade/supergun world, and I'm still searching for a few). The MK harness guy a few pages ago sparked that idea and I'm getting everything set up. Prices will be reasonable (way better than that French guy on ebay for example) as I have a day job and just want to do it as a productive hobby/side thing. Instead of a stock list of built items I'll just build whatever is requested, from standard stuff like control harnesses for specific cabs to whatever you can dream up. I'll have an SA-Mart thread in a few weeks along with threads on offsite forums like A-P, but goons get discounts per tradition.

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 18, 2021

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I put together something stupid while I order the rest of the parts to put a 24 inch IPS and a mister into a Space Invaders cocktail I picked up.

I mounted a Pioneer Elite plasma I picked up for 25 bux from FB marketplace vertically and have set it up for shumps and vertical switch games.

I think this TV was $5k when it was new and it still looks beautiful.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Based on your frugalness I'd say that's DDP running on MiSTer and not the real PCB, so bravo for saving money and doing it right, it looks great on that TV!

I love that once $$$$ TVs can now be had for so cheap or even free. I need more freaking space...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Based on your frugalness I'd say that's DDP running on MiSTer and not the real PCB
There's an "Activate Windows" watermark at the bottom of the screen, so it's probably MAME.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I put together something stupid while I order the rest of the parts to put a 24 inch IPS and a mister into a Space Invaders cocktail I picked up.

I mounted a Pioneer Elite plasma I picked up for 25 bux from FB marketplace vertically and have set it up for shumps and vertical switch games.

I think this TV was $5k when it was new and it still looks beautiful.

How much does that plasma weigh?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

It weighs 80 pounds, so I mounted it on a 10 foot piece of stainless steel channeling cut in half. The channeling is the just dropped through the top of the tv stand and the weight holds it together.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I thought orientation mattered for plasmas? Is that just urban legend?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

inferis posted:

I thought orientation mattered for plasmas? Is that just urban legend?

I'll definitely find out, it's built like a tank though.

There's a YouTube video of a build using lots of 2x6s and there's no update of it burning the guys house down yet. So I'll take my chances.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I've never had a plasma, but maybe google field of view or similar for that model if issues.

My first few HDTVs were DLP and you absolutely could not view things properly from "under" ie if you were laying on the floor. You could also not 'tate one of those so it wasn't a big deal there.

I could see that some models of any flat panel types may have some polarization layer for some reason.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I googled a little and it was some weird think about the gas potentially changing phase that was mostly a cya for sales people combined with most TVs being weighted for upright orientation and potential stress issues with laying it down.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not sure you will damage a plasma by tate-ing it, considering Panasonic used plasma for their really high end commercial digital signage-focused monitors which were designed to be mounted every which way

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

That’s good to know when I try to play sound voltex with 100ms of latency

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

It's got a 160° viewing angle and I am running a retroarch build that's been pre set up for low latency shump settings.

Been happy with how it's running and it definitely looks fantastic.

Only have run into a couple games that are running into emulation lag in full screen and one of them was Moonwalker, so no loss there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

from everything I've been able to find, tilting a plasma forward or back has a very, very small chance of damaging one of the layers. I haven't found anything against rotating sideways.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Some more MisterCade info, I'm likely still holding off for more interesting (to me) cores like Sega System 16

https://www.retrorgb.com/mistercade-installation-and-overview.html

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Got a problem with launchbox. When I try to launch a game in mame it flashes up initialising then goes back to launchbox. If I load the game in Mame itself, it launches. Then if I go back to Launchbox it will now work.

Any idea on a fix?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bigsteve posted:

Got a problem with launchbox. When I try to launch a game in mame it flashes up initialising then goes back to launchbox. If I load the game in Mame itself, it launches. Then if I go back to Launchbox it will now work.

Any idea on a fix?

Take a pic of your Launchbox settings, particularly where you tell Launchbox the MAME executable is located, and post it here.

falz posted:

Some more MisterCade info, I'm likely still holding off for more interesting (to me) cores like Sega System 16

https://www.retrorgb.com/mistercade-installation-and-overview.html

I absolutely hate using a Windows desktop for my arcade cabinet. If there were a way to use my jpac, ipac ultmate io, Turbotwist, and Ultimarc lightguns (as well as LEDBlinky) with this I'd be all over it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 23, 2021

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Never mind, im a dumb rear end and have figured it out. I installed all the roms from Mame rather than the specific roms. I have cherry picked the stuff I will play.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 25, 2021

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Is there any mame rom renaming tool out there written in clear english that works if I have a pile of roms that are all abc.xyz.randomcharacters.zip on the outside and the correct files on the inside?

mame doesn't seem to want to launch anything that's in an incorrectly named zip, at least that's what my assumption is when it says everything isn't found despite being in the right spot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

is the atomiswave fan 12v or 5v, anyone know offhand?

i have both here, but idk which to use without tearing it down and i'd like to know before i start

Edit: 12v

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 5, 2021

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

If you have been trying to get a HAS SuperGun forever, this is your limited, and potentially final chance to do so!

https://homearcadesystem.wordpress.com/pre-order/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

XtraSmiley posted:

If you have been trying to get a HAS SuperGun forever, this is your limited, and potentially final chance to do so!

https://homearcadesystem.wordpress.com/pre-order/

Sick. Thanks for the heads up.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Guess not.

Form is gone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It says it's only on hold so maybe it'll come back?

Fwiw, I received zero email confirmation after input in my order.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It says it's only on hold so maybe it'll come back?

Fwiw, I received zero email confirmation after input in my order.

One can hope it will come back. These boutique sellers don’t make it easy do they.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

You won't get an email until it is time to pay, but if you see the screen that says confirmed, you are good to go.

He paused the forms to make sure he had enough stock to meet demand, he said he'll open again afterwards, I'll try to keep you guys posted.

Just as an option, there are other good SGs I recommend, (such as this one, get it in black, it looks tons better: http://www.axunworks.com) and also I always sell my prior one when I get a new HAS and I don't add any profit to it, I just sell for exactly what I paid, so there is that option as well. Mine usually have a small change to them from the standard, and for v4 it is that mine has a blue instead of red volt meter (trust me, it looks cooler).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Forgot to mention it here but I've started selling harnesses, more types coming all the time:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/d0sdem0n/m.html

Why not buy some to go along with your new HAS (rubs hands greedily)

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

You won't get an email until it is time to pay, but if you see the screen that says confirmed, you are good to go.

He paused the forms to make sure he had enough stock to meet demand, he said he'll open again afterwards, I'll try to keep you guys posted.

Just as an option, there are other good SGs I recommend, (such as this one, get it in black, it looks tons better: http://www.axunworks.com) and also I always sell my prior one when I get a new HAS and I don't add any profit to it, I just sell for exactly what I paid, so there is that option as well. Mine usually have a small change to them from the standard, and for v4 it is that mine has a blue instead of red volt meter (trust me, it looks cooler).

Thanks! Really appreciate it if you could post when they go live. I’ll keep an eye out as well. HAS is supposed to still be the best right?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Bonobos posted:

Thanks! Really appreciate it if you could post when they go live. I’ll keep an eye out as well. HAS is supposed to still be the best right?

I think for the price it is the best. However, the one I linked is also very good (and safe) and there are a few more that are good. It's poo poo like the Windy City or Retroelecta type poo poo that can cause damage to PCBs or other devices.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

d0s posted:

Forgot to mention it here but I've started selling harnesses, more types coming all the time:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/d0sdem0n/m.html

Why not buy some to go along with your new HAS (rubs hands greedily)

Dammit, wish I found you before I bought the Parsec kick harness cables from France a few months back 😂

You don’t do custom work do you? Like a MK1 kick harness to Parsec / HAS (if I ever get to buy one).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bonobos posted:

You don’t do custom work do you? Like a MK1 kick harness to Parsec / HAS (if I ever get to buy one).

I do custom stuff if it's within the range of my tooling, parts etc. I am actually planing to make what you're asking for anyway, but I don't own any MK PCBs and can't find anywhere what kind of connector is used on the PCB and the pinout of that connector (though I haven't looked that hard).

Something I'm working on now is 3/4 player adapters that attach to the HAS and Minigun (and whatever else uses that PGM connector) for things like Konami PCBs. Also a cable to allow you to power Nanao MS series CRTs with a normal wall outlet to use as an RGB monitor. That French guy sells them but his price is typically ludicrous.

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

d0s posted:

I do custom stuff if it's within the range of my tooling, parts etc. I am actually planing to make what you're asking for anyway, but I don't own any MK PCBs and can't find anywhere what kind of connector is used on the PCB and the pinout of that connector (though I haven't looked that hard).

Something I'm working on now is 3/4 player adapters that attach to the HAS and Minigun (and whatever else uses that PGM connector) for things like Konami PCBs. Also a cable to allow you to power Nanao MS series CRTs with a normal wall outlet to use as an RGB monitor. That French guy sells them but his price is typically ludicrous.

Agreed on his prices, I was able to work out a deal for a pair of cables but yeah I spent like $60 shipped for both cables.

I’ll keep an eye out on your shop, definitely interested in the adapters you are working on : )