Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

that's weird. their support is pretty responsive in my experience so try reaching out maybe?

I have an xtension setup and its pretty slick. the sticks they build are very nice quality as well. at some point i need to upgrade my display though, just have a cheap 720p monitor in there at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I have redone the romset on this arcade machine like 4 times now

-Mostly a recent FBNeo set
-Like most of the CHD stuff doesn't work there, so mame2003plus for that
-Okay well TAPPER is critical and doesn't work so now I'm just splitting it more aaaaaaaaa

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

granted I don't have a mame cab but I just update my entire romset and mameui every time something that interests me is added (which is rare these days, check https://www.mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0235.txt where 0235 is whatever version number) and never have a problem. I feel like people make this out to be more trouble than it is or something

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 18, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I feel like it's fairly normal to just get a complete romset and then sit on it + its version of MAME for a few years before updating again.

I'm still running on 0.211 and not in any rush to update.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Drone posted:

I feel like it's fairly normal to just get a complete romset and then sit on it + its version of MAME for a few years before updating again.

I'm still running on 0.211 and not in any rush to update.
Or you get a new laptop and have a bug up your rear end about getting 3rd Strike on and gently caress the Mame installer is newer than the archived 120 gig romset you have

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i'm not going to post a link because :filez: but isn't it common knowledge where to get the current version fullsets

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I'm currently running the cab on an older (gently overclocked) 2500k with an nVidia 760 for slightly more modern sfuff like street fighter 4

Would that work well for more stuff in the current set? I know stuff like Gauntlet Legends isn't always 100%, but if I could switch away from FBNEO that'd be cool

I don't care about accuracy as much as "this game works and is very playable"

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

d0s posted:

i'm not going to post a link because :filez: but isn't it common knowledge where to get the current version fullsets

im sure there probably archived somewhere?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

d0s posted:

For me it's more that I can't be hosed to download the 80 gigabyte split set and then another 450 of CHD's or whatever

Some kind of MAME updater tool would be a godsend if it doesn't already exist. Input the romset version and type you have, click a button, and it just fetches the files that have changed since that given romset instead of making you download a whole-rear end complete romset all the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to find a fullset and just point the torrent at your existing ROM folder and only download the updated bits. It might even be easier than that nowadays, but it works for me and only takes about 15 minutes every month.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Someone on another forum once recommended this to me for updating MAME ROM sets: https://www.romcenter.com/downloadpage/

I have no idea if it's good or not; I was too scared to use it when it warned me 100 times to make sure my ROMs were backed up before continuing. Yeah let me just backup 800GB of ROMs.

Anyway updating MAME is such a confusing mess for me that I wrote myself an update guide a while back for myself; maybe it will help someone else here:

updating_mame.txt posted:

1) download newest version of MAME.
2) compare every INI file with the new MAME version's INIs using a program like Beyond Compare. Especially with mame.ini, check to see if there are changes so that the new MAME.ini has all of the old MAME.ini info (sometimes MAME.ini does not change between versions).
3) Go to pleasuredome.org.uk
4) Download newest MAME rom sets. Point those MAME torrents towards the MAME directory. Rename the folder it is going to create in QBittorrent to "roms" (do this for all, MAME roms, bios devices, and CHDs since those all go in the mame/roms folder). It will "check" the ROMs for a while and will "update" the differences to the newest MAME version.
5) Make sure these are the sets you are downloading:
a) for MAME ROMs, make sure to download the "merged" ROMset
b) MAME CHDs, download the merged set as wel! DO NOT DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE LIST! Look for the latest "[FREE] MAME 0.XXX CHDs (merged)" *****even if it is not the newest MAME version; often times CHDs do not get updated to the latest MAME version, even when the ROMsets do******
c) mame 0.XXX ROMs (bios-devices). These BIOS devices files go in the ROMS folder like all other games.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I figured out how to use clrmamepro to update romsets to the newest version and now i never want to use mame again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You should never have to run those auditing things on your MAME ROMs if you just point the latest complete torrent of your specific romset type (merged or non-merged) at your ROMs folder, since it'll just redownload anything that got changed and seed anything that didn't. This will save you a lot of time and heartache.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

You should never have to run those auditing things on your MAME ROMs if you just point the latest complete torrent of your specific romset type (merged or non-merged) at your ROMs folder, since it'll just redownload anything that got changed and seed anything that didn't. This will save you a lot of time and heartache.

does this work by like a CRC check or something or does it just go by filenames? Because existing romsets and individual ROMs get updated all the time, the names may not change but a bad dump may turn into a good dump etc

e: I just delete the old set and download the entire new set, but I don't have some crazy metered internet connection or something. I also update only if something I'm interested in is added/fixed, and I use the Arcade fork of mameUI so I don't worry about all the other non-arcade BS that's added to MAME. All I get are the merged normal romset and certain CHDs (but not the whole set of CHDs)

e2: if you're interested in the Arcade frontend, get the preconfigured version without the nag screens from here instead of using the official site: https://insertmorecoins.es/arcade-0-235-32-64-bits-no-nag/

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 23, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

does this work by like a CRC check or something or does it just go by filenames? Because existing romsets and individual ROMs get updated all the time, the names may not change but a bad dump may turn into a good dump etc
Per-zip CRC checks, I think. I think the last time I updated it took a while to scan the folder, then I only needed to download like 30mb.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I ended up picking up 2 Primal Rage boards recently, mostly because I haven't heard of any recent Emulation progress or MisterFPGA core work being done.

The boards themselves work fine and the serial numbers are intact. Just one board was different, where Primal Rage 2.3 was build dated Dec 6/7 1994, one was build dated Jan 4th 1995. I ended up dumping the data from the roms and MAME has no listing of it. Neat. As far as I could tell the Japanese version of Primal Rage wasn't just setting the Language in the service menu to Japanese.

The second thing I did was backup my eeprom data from both these boards to keep the serial numbers and current play history. This also allowed me figure out how serials are stored and create clean play history eeproms if I ever want to use a "factory fresh" setup.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lemon King posted:

I ended up picking up 2 Primal Rage boards recently, mostly because I haven't heard of any recent Emulation progress or MisterFPGA core work being done.

The boards themselves work fine and the serial numbers are intact. Just one board was different, where Primal Rage 2.3 was build dated Dec 6/7 1994, one was build dated Jan 4th 1995. I ended up dumping the data from the roms and MAME has no listing of it. Neat. As far as I could tell the Japanese version of Primal Rage wasn't just setting the Language in the service menu to Japanese.

The second thing I did was backup my eeprom data from both these boards to keep the serial numbers and current play history. This also allowed me figure out how serials are stored and create clean play history eeproms if I ever want to use a "factory fresh" setup.

Is it just me or is that a very big board?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it just me or is that a very big board?

Arcade Projects had a few threads on it and its a big one: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/primal-rage-supergun-project.12664/
TMEK with its daughter boards is even larger.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Lemon King posted:

Awesome man. Any changes that you can detect? Can you upload to MAME? I have a Primal Rage and 2 extra boards, I’ll need to check them out.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

The only thing I can tell are moves are closer to how you would input in Street Fighter. I haven't done any uploading, I'll need to find a MAMEDev to get in contact with to see if I can get this added.

There are more out there, surprised it hasn't been dumped yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwWAWiotlI

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What would cause an arcade crt to look like crap until its been on for a while?

I have a Megatouch XL upright and for years it was fine. I recently had it recapped (maybe two years ago) because the screen was all wavy. The recap fixed it.

Fast forward to like six months ago and now the picture is both blurry and dark for a good hour before it looks good. The funny thing is I can make it look good right on startup using the focus and black level knobs on the back but then after an hour it looks like poo poo. If I don't touch the knobs at all, it's dark and blurry and then gets nice bright and sharp an hour later.

I'm not having any other problems with the monitor. What could cause this and is there any fix?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Potentially not all the caps were done, as needing to warm up could be a symptom. Check to see if the fly back is cracked too. Also, could just need something reflowed as well. Best to post on KLOV for monitor help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

XtraSmiley posted:

Potentially not all the caps were done, as needing to warm up could be a symptom. Check to see if the fly back is cracked too. Also, could just need something reflowed as well. Best to post on KLOV for monitor help.

I posted there a week ago and no one replied lol.

I actually have a CRT repair guy in my area believe it or not and he tested every one of the capacitors and said all of them were fine.

Where would a crack be on a flyback? On the black plastic cylinder thing?

If it were something related to a bad solder joint, I would think it would always look like crap instead of needing to warm up to look good, no?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I posted there a week ago and no one replied lol.

Try here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/monitor-help.6/

And here: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=135ca13795c1c7b8a11a8a10cf58d10b

When I have a monitor question I just crosspost the same thing on both boards and usually get solid advice on at least one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

Try here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/monitor-help.6/

And here: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=135ca13795c1c7b8a11a8a10cf58d10b

When I have a monitor question I just crosspost the same thing on both boards and usually get solid advice on at least one

Thank you! I just found out a feint vertical line that always scrolls slowly from bottom to top on my arcade monitor can be fixed by simply removing the ground wire from the CRT's metal frame! Weird!

Stupid question about MAME: what's the point of there being update sets (for example, found here: https://pleasuredome.github.io/pleasuredome/mame/ ) going from one MAME version to another, when all you have to do is point the complete set to your ROM folder and it updates them that way? Are there more games in the update set or something ?'

edit: I compared the "complete" 236 set to the "update from 235 to 236" set and in the latter, I noticed a ROM, "carnivalca.zip" that is NOT in the "complete" 236 set. Why would that be?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 6, 2021

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I haven't followed MAME in a long time, but it use to be that they would remove games sometimes when more info was discovered, like a dump was bad, or a duplicate, or some other problem. That could explain numbers going down.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
carnivalca (aka "Carnival (cocktail, earlier)") is still present in MAME, but is marked as "not working". The complete set you're looking at may be merged instead of split, in which case it'd have been absorbed into one of the other Carnival clones.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

carnivalca (aka "Carnival (cocktail, earlier)") is still present in MAME, but is marked as "not working". The complete set you're looking at may be merged instead of split, in which case it'd have been absorbed into one of the other Carnival clones.

That was it! Thank you so much.

Another MAME question if I may.

I noticed on my 4ghz core i7 (an old one, but still), Marvel vs Capcom 2 runs at like, no exaggeration, 8 fps.

I am looking at task manager while it's running and MAME is only using up 12% of the CPU while running this game.

Shouldn't the CPU be running at near 100% since it's struggling so much?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I didn't realize MvC2 is Naomi (dreamcast) so i mean it's not nothing. I wonder if older MAME versions don't try as hard?

Looks like there are some other Naomi emulators too:

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Sega_NAOMI_and_variants#Emulators

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For systems that use semi-modern 3D, you're better off using a more specialized emulator if one is available.

I think Flycast is currently considered The Hotness for NAOMI and Atomiswave stuff, Demul supports some other things like NAOMI 2 and Hikaru, but it's a bit rough.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I remember hearing that stock MAME doesn't use hardware acceleration (or something) so things like Naomi are not going to run well

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The Kins posted:

I think Flycast is currently considered The Hotness for NAOMI and Atomiswave stuff, Demul supports some other things like NAOMI 2 and Hikaru, but it's a bit rough.

Flycast was built because the source code for nullDC was lost and reicast wasn't doing it for people. Unlike DEmul, Flycast is open source so it's been getting new features and compatibility added to it like crazy. As of last month, it gained GGPO rollback netplay compatibility, which has been integrated into Flycast Dojo (the fork for Fightcade, which will get updated with it soon) and the all-in-one launcher BEAR.

I run the CvS2 Discord and us going from Dolphin netplay to Arcade GGPO in two years has been quite the ride.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

WindyMan posted:

Flycast was built because the source code for nullDC was lost and reicast wasn't doing it for people. Unlike DEmul, Flycast is open source so it's been getting new features and compatibility added to it like crazy. As of last month, it gained GGPO rollback netplay compatibility, which has been integrated into Flycast Dojo (the fork for Fightcade, which will get updated with it soon) and the all-in-one launcher BEAR.

I run the CvS2 Discord and us going from Dolphin netplay to Arcade GGPO in two years has been quite the ride.

Is CvS2 really big enough to accomodate a whole discord? You learn something new every day.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Deviant posted:

Is CvS2 really big enough to accomodate a whole discord? You learn something new every day.

Over 5,000 members, and there are two regional (offline) tournaments coming up in the next few weeks with $1,000 and $1,500 pot bonuses. Plus it's the 20th anniversary of the game, so with that and rollback emerging it's been a good year, all things considered.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Deviant posted:

CvS2 was the fighting game for a long while for me and most people I knew around those times, like it went from that to SFIV with nothing in between. always a burned copy of the DC japanese version

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i mean it is true that i can't wait for KOF XV because we're finally getting away from grim edgy fighters and back to the MILLIONAIRE FIGHT OF THE MILLENIUM aesthetic

yes my favorite game is SFA3 why do you ask

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That was it! Thank you so much.

Another MAME question if I may.

I noticed on my 4ghz core i7 (an old one, but still), Marvel vs Capcom 2 runs at like, no exaggeration, 8 fps.

I am looking at task manager while it's running and MAME is only using up 12% of the CPU while running this game.

Shouldn't the CPU be running at near 100% since it's struggling so much?

Mame is meant to be a hardware preservation project, so accuracy above all - which means no speed hacks or offloading rendering to GPUs, everything is in software, more or less hardware agnostic. GPU tech changes year by year and ensuring the hundred or so 3d systems mame emulates works with the dozens of cards available today is just too much.

12% - have a look at the individual cores, one should be pegged at 100%. Again, single threaded, accuracy above all, all frames are rendered exactly as they are on original hardware, even if it's 8 FPS.
I thought it was a drat miracle that Crusin' worked as well as it did.

Solution - specialized emulator, or get a CPU with higher individual core performance; I wonder how well MAME runs on an Apple M1?

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 12, 2021

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Looks like OpenEMU on an M1 Mac handles MAME well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-par-QHi-A4

e: SDL MAME is M1 native.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Mame is meant to be a hardware preservation project, so accuracy above all - which means no speed hacks or offloading rendering to GPUs, everything is in software, more or less hardware agnostic. GPU tech changes year by year and ensuring the hundred or so 3d systems mame emulates works with the dozens of cards available today is just too much.
I want to say there are plans to use Vulkan or GPU computing or something to offload the rendering to the GPU while still doing it in the software style, but I'm not sure whether those plans are being acted on or not.

That being said, software or no, a lot of the 3D platforms in MAME could definitely use a bit of developer love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So, 10 minute drive away from me is this place, went a week ago and it's just mind blowing good fun there. You pay an entry fee then have all day / night to free play the machines. They tend to go for real iconic machines in superb condition, would recommend if you are in the area

Here is a dump of pics I took

https://imgur.com/a/YJoRVM4

This is the place: https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/bury/