Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I mentioned this in Discord but I might as well crosspost here:

This is Kim ‘Kanonarm’ Köbke, Gyruss Marathon World Record Champion, watching my Tourney record-break run from this past September’s SC3 that I set on my cocktail.

His only advisements: “practice more and die less”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

A friend said, about STGs, that "if you die and you have bombs in stock, well, that's dumb".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just learned Brian DiCamillo from Jackass was a world record holder for Mortal Kombat for a long time (he's now fourth in the world)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Here's a cool article about hacking NBA Jam to add Michael Jordan, he even supplies program so you can add your own players.

http://fabiensanglard.net/nbajamte/

Plus some Shaq:

https://twitter.com/nbajambook/status/1186739322466291712

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 7, 2019

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Does anyone care about these kinds of posts? If not last one I'll bother with

Anyways I had mentioned that there wasn't much I wanted to do to Jubeat. I lied.

I got to ripping the machine apart with a few goals in mind...
1: Replace the rubbers in the controller with new ones

Jubeat's controller are a 4x4 grid of squares where each square has 4 contact points. The corners on the buttons push a rubber membrane which makes the contact

Here you can see one of the pcbs removed while I was preparing to remove the rubbers, scrub the buttons and then put new rubbers in

Then the "fun" process of checking all 64 contacts individually to make sure that they fire properly and no misfiring is happening due to crap alignment. About 2/3rds of the membranes removed were brittle and on their last legs.

This brings about #2 of fixings....

Testing out the sizing on a freshly cut pane of plexiglass :heysexy: and it appears I in fact didn't gently caress up ordering it! The drat thing is the right size!

All cleaned and placed, a great improvement over the previous panel!

With the panel in place all that was left was putting everything back together while trying to keep any dust out. That's pretty much all I really wanted to do with Jubeat. Having new rubbers and this plexi basically makes the thing feel brand new. Total cost for all the parts was just over $100 which all things considered is impressive how much it improved the cab's gameplay.

Edit: if you were curious here's a glimpse into how scratched the old plexi was

flyboi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 7, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:justpost:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bidding on an NBA JAM Tournament Edition PCB, wish me luck.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
God speed, hopefully it goes better than my "fine I give up" settling. Too cheap to pay for SFEX2+ and a EX2 popped up on ebay that I got for $25 shipped "untested"

well..

both the ZN A and B boards were warped beyond use. The chips however were legitimate US and I have a "bootleg" "Taiwan" Plasma Sword which is just the Japanese version with some counterfeit stickers on it. I was also able to move the game label sticker over from the custom asic and now I have a nice looking, working SFEX2.... non plus :( but $25 is a lot better than $200

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only other cab I have is an original NBA Jam machine I got for free. I need to restore the control panel though

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Bidding on an NBA JAM Tournament Edition PCB, wish me luck.

If it doesn't work out I have one for sale. I did say a few pages back :)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

midge posted:

If it doesn't work out I have one for sale. I did say a few pages back :)

oooh what prices do you want for your boards?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
A few years ago my sister in law's boyfriend asked me if I wanted an NBA jam cabinet, hell yeah I did.

Went to get it and it was a bastardized gambling machine with a "rim rockin' basketball" 8 bit pcb. With a hidden switch under it to switch back and forth.

I was disappointed, but took it anyway.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

flyboi posted:

Does anyone care about these kinds of posts?

I don't have the technical expertise to fully appreciate them, but as a lifelong lover of video games, I think they're neat - and this information you're taking the time to share is valuable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I love em mostly because they are always somehow games I've never heard of

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Do always post rhythm game surgery.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://twitter.com/yL1TDA56qm8xnVZ/status/893841060517953536

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Just picked up this empty Astro shell. It's missing the power supply and monitor. Luckily, I have a spare power supply and monitor*

I can't wait to clean this thing up. Despite how it looks it's mostly just very dirty, and is otherwise in decent shape.

*the monitor has graffiti scratched into it, which I am in the process of polishing out.

Ask me about the weird experiences of buying arcade machines from KC in Southern California.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 12, 2019

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I sure hope this wasn't his classic bait & switch technique because that's rather extreme

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

My phone took a poo poo so I didn't have it available during the entirety of the work on this, but last night DanAdamKOF and I cleaned the heck out of this thing, and then put it together. Now I just need to buff and polish the monitor to remove the graffiti. I started logging that process in the DIY section.

The closest thing to a bait & switch is that it seems he forgot to include the front PCB door. I'm sure I can get that resolved...

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 13, 2019

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Nice I hear of your antics in passing from Adam so it's cool to see some of the process. (I'd love a guide on dealing with convergence in the corners ;) )

Are you planning on redoing the anti-glare coating once you're done?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
So here's something interesting. I've messed with a lot of game settings and never seen anything like this. Is there any truth to it?

TVTropes (yeah I know) posted:

As another general example, a lot of arcade video games have settings adjustable by the operator that controls how unwinnable a game is. If it's not disabled completely, once a player has played for long enough, the game will create an unwinnable situation at a certain point that cannot be overcome until the Game Over screen appears. If the player has another credit ready and chooses to continue, the unwinnable scenario will be replaced with a winnable one. The idea is to keep money coming into the machine frequently and regularly, no matter how skilled the player is, so these unwinnable scenarios are designed to look like the player is not good enough to survive them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

magikid posted:

So here's something interesting. I've messed with a lot of game settings and never seen anything like this. Is there any truth to it?
Many arcade games have settings to adjust number of lives, continues et. al., but I haven't seen any settings that outright rig things.

However, many arcade games do increase difficulty as you play with the aim of having the average player's credit last a little over two minutes, so as to lower the chances of one guy hogging the cabinet (as opposed to having multiple people plonk their coin in!) while keeping them playing long enough to not feel ripped off.

From Capcom's Ghosts 'n' Goblins arcade manual:

From Capcom's Ghouls 'n' Ghosts arcade manual:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Redemption games like Super Stacker have an adjustable win rate, but you don’t continue in those.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Plenty of fighting games where the AI cheats.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I was playing neo geo Magician Lord with a cheat code for invincibility recently, after not dieing for some time a creature appears that flies in to you and you can't kill it.

It hits you so much that you can't even progress while invincible. I presume the case is the same if you were really good at it too and not cheating. So yes, that game does that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Plenty of fighting games where the AI cheats.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo vs Super Street Fighter 2 X is a great example of how AI can be complete bull poo poo.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

A thing I’ve observed with Gyruss’ incremental difficulty:

The TG-ranked difficulty setting is 6. Default of the machine is 3. Max is 8.

Here’s the kicker: everything in Gyruss rolls. Lives, stages, score tables. They all roll over.

The difficulty ramp is no different.

In my last record break, there’s a moment where I call to my friend Jared and announce, after I am in Loop 4, that the game slowed down to a crawl. “The promised land!” I was able to survive on a single life from that point forward BECAUSE of that roll!

So, start at six, loop the game 3 times, go 6-7-8-roll, and you’re at 1. There’s no 9 in that table.

So, in a sense, the game can be charted for difficulty in a breaking wave.

I have no idea how much other people give a poo poo about Gyruss, but it fascinates me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really wish I could remember the game, but I'm pretty sure there's an arcade game that will outright kill you if you survive for x amount of time. It wasn't something that an average player will ever see, but something I remember seeing with people on Twitch who try to 1 credit clear games. Although it wasn't a dip switch, was something literally built into the game and not something an operator had control over.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Plenty of games had a decreasing health bar so you'd always eventually die no matter what

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
NBA Jam uses rubber band AI and it can be turned off in the settings (called "Computer Assistance").

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

magikid posted:

I forget if it was Revolution X or Terminator 2 the Arcade Game but one of them was discovered to be literally impossible to beat on one quarter. Like the game would just randomly kill you no matter how perfectly you played.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I want to say Revolution X has enough unavoidable damage that it's guaranteed to kill you before the end, but I'm not 100% that's the one, nor would I be surprised if this was true of multiple games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it was on the Rare Replay collection where there's an interview where they say the final boss of the battletoads arcade game doesn't actually take damage for like a minute or something like that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I forget if it was Revolution X or Terminator 2 the Arcade Game but one of them was discovered to be literally impossible to beat on one quarter. Like the game would just randomly kill you no matter how perfectly you played.

I could swear I remembered reading this about one of these two, so I decided to check out the Revolution X operator's manual to see if they came clean about it in there. And, sort of?

The Terminator 2 op manual has a similar entry:

I suspect this "minimum guaranteed playtime" is another way of saying "how long before the player starts receiving a tsunami of unavoidable damage".

also lol at this

Parachute
May 18, 2003
ah i see y'all have played "Zandar", most likely at Noah's Arcade

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

The "unwinnable" setting stuff is usually for bullshit games like Stacker, etc. Redemption titles, with a percentage payout, like a gambling machine. This is more or less not a thing in actual games, but a lot of very late '80s games have kill screens once you reach an absurd level. It's very, very rare to have a game that is literally unwinnable.

However, I haven't played Revolution X, or very many American-made light gun games in general, so maybe those are actual turds that you can't beat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Revolution X is the steamiest turd imaginable

They literally only funded its creation because the band was mad at Tipper Gore.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

That scratched up MS9-29 made a nice transformation. I finished it up last week.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Hatsune Mike posted:

The "unwinnable" setting stuff is usually for bullshit games like Stacker, etc. Redemption titles, with a percentage payout, like a gambling machine. This is more or less not a thing in actual games, but a lot of very late '80s games have kill screens once you reach an absurd level. It's very, very rare to have a game that is literally unwinnable.

However, I haven't played Revolution X, or very many American-made light gun games in general, so maybe those are actual turds that you can't beat.

That Midway/Williams architecture dictates that you will not 1cc the game. You must pay out to see the finish. It’s also crowd control.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mortal Kombat Characters were secret players in early revisions of NBA Jam Tournament Edition but the NBA made Midway take them out.