Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Specs on website say: Assembled Dimensions: (23” D x 36” W x 29” H) - https://arcade1up.com/collections/head-2-head-cabinets/products/ms-pac-man%E2%84%A2-head-to-head-arcade-table

Some random website selling cabinets says perhaps normally: 22" wide x 32" long Heigth - 32" table top to floor - https://www.aceamusements.us/arcade-video-game-cabinet-weights-and-sizes.html

So yeah, shortish.

Ah that sucks. Thanks so much for the info though! I am on the taller side so my knees digging into the bottom of the control panel would piss me off forever. I am also not about to spend $1200 on a real one so I guess it will always just be a ~dream~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Ah that sucks. Thanks so much for the info though! I am on the taller side so my knees digging into the bottom of the control panel would piss me off forever. I am also not about to spend $1200 on a real one so I guess it will always just be a ~dream~.

Not sure how much money/effort you'd like to put into building one from a kit, but I've heard good things about these: https://www.harumancustoms.com/products/cocktail-kits/midway-style-cocktail.

Granted, those are barebones kits where you're basically just getting some precut MDF/plexi, the hardware to assemble and the rest is up to you (including monitors, electronics, etc).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

beeker posted:

Not sure how much money/effort you'd like to put into building one from a kit, but I've heard good things about these: https://www.harumancustoms.com/products/cocktail-kits/midway-style-cocktail.

Granted, those are barebones kits where you're basically just getting some precut MDF/plexi, the hardware to assemble and the rest is up to you (including monitors, electronics, etc).

Thank you, that's not a bad idea though if I was going with a DIY solution I'd much rather use a CRT which those unfortunately don't support

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Thank you, that's not a bad idea though if I was going with a DIY solution I'd much rather use a CRT which those unfortunately don't support

I had picked up a Space Invaders cocktail recently with the idea of retromodding it, but I just ended up going with Mister, a IPS freesync panel and am now in the middle of mounting it to a medical grade Carl Zeiss adjustable table.

It's been a slippery slope, and it's probably cheaper to buy something pre built or a kit. The whole build has been stuff from the recycled building materials/ tech store and things have got a bit out of hand.

Will definitely post some pictures once this thing is mounted when I get time in a week or so.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Is there a good place to get CPS-2 games besides ebay?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
try a rom site

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ControlV posted:

https://highscoresave.com/darksoft-cps2-multi-kit-champion-edition-2020/

plus

mycophobia posted:

try a rom site

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

ControlV posted:

Join the arcade forums and FB sites. There are a ton being sold daily. What game in particular are you looking for?

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Super Turbo and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, for sure. Tell me more of these arcade forums and FB groups...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ControlV posted:

Super Turbo and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, for sure. Tell me more of these arcade forums and FB groups...

You can have every single CPS2 game ever made to play on real hardware with this: https://highscoresave.com/darksoft-cps2-multi-kit-champion-edition-2020/ and the cost is equal to maybe 2-3 games. You also never have to deal with desuiciding and all that crap.

All you need to do is find one cheap CPS2 game (street fighter zero 2 is consistently cheap) and a mobo. Installation is very easy.

Video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faj3cPKfnNE

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

ControlV posted:

Just get on FB and search for arcade groups, you'll see plenty. The PCB one has people selling often. Shmups.com, KLOV, and Arcade Project forums have a marketplace that's pretty good.

For XvSF I'd say about $150 or $200-250 with a motherboard.

No idea about ST, all the SFs are the same to me... I just got the Darksoft multi people keep linking. It works fine.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Cool! Thanks for the advice, everybody!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Interesting journey of the lost Midway Powerup Baseball prototype running on a cabinet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjcgy31Ryfc

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This might be a weird/awkward post, but for those of you in here who have arcade machines and buy/sell/swap them out... what kinds of etiquette should I know about if I'm trying to sell locally? I guess I doubt anyone interested in a Playchoice 10 arcade is going to be a serial killer or anything, but I'm still kind of hesitant to let people come to my home. But I also can't have people meet me in a fast food parking lot when I'm trying to sell an arcade machine. What if it breaks in 2 months and they want their money back or something?

I really wish I could just consign it to someone and let someone else deal with all of this.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
None of that sounds arcade specific outside of its size.

The last time I sold a game (Karate Champ) I messaged a local guy that has a ton of games and leaves them to some pizza places, I sold it cheap to get rid of it, so was easy. Also I put it in my garage for east pick up.

That was before all prices got jacked up and basically everything with a crt and works is 4 figures.

Maybe have a friend over and borrow a dog too just in case?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

This might be a weird/awkward post, but for those of you in here who have arcade machines and buy/sell/swap them out... what kinds of etiquette should I know about if I'm trying to sell locally? I guess I doubt anyone interested in a Playchoice 10 arcade is going to be a serial killer or anything, but I'm still kind of hesitant to let people come to my home. But I also can't have people meet me in a fast food parking lot when I'm trying to sell an arcade machine. What if it breaks in 2 months and they want their money back or something?

I really wish I could just consign it to someone and let someone else deal with all of this.

I do it all the time, no issues yet. Yes, arcade collectors are weird as gently caress, but no killers yet...

Where are you located? Best is to list online, or on KLOV, sell with a deposit to someone who knows about arcades so you don't have to worry about visits later for help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

katkillad2 posted:

My dad always told me he only buys used cars from individual people selling them out of their homes because as he said "a used car lot will scam you, but someone who lets you know where they live probably won't".

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm usually really paranoid about letting random plumbers and stuff into my home but arcade people tend to be dude bros in their late 30s. At least from my experience.

Also maybe sell it on Facebook since you can see their profile and get an idea if they are a weirdo or not.

One time I posted on Facebook that I moved my mame cabinet and the crt colors were messed up as a result. Within twenty minutes some dude showed up at my house with a degausser and fixed it for me, and refused money when I tried to give it to him.

I sent a 48 pack of beers to his house the next day.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

I sent a 48 pack of beers to his house the next day.

what if he was a teetotaller. You monster!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I hope not, it was Alagash White

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
After ~15 years in storage, I've finally convinced a sucker (my father in law!!!) to help me complete the arcade build I started so long ago. I got scared about tracing/cutting the wood panels and chickened out, and it's sat in a garage ever since.

Until now!

Behold, the Slikstik! Pride of MAME machines circa 2006. I'll take lots of pics as we build stuff.

When I first built the computer for it, I used an old AMD64, and used MaximusArcade for the frontend. Now though, running Windows 10 on "newer" hardware(i5-4700, GTX960).

My Q: What's the best FrontEnd for arcade use these days? While I'll still probably throw console emulation stuff on it too, I'd like something that will work well in "cabinet" mode using the arcade controller. I guess it might need to hook in to Steam for stuff like SF5 I suppose, but I think even back in the day you could hook exes into a list.

I've used/am familiar with aforementioned MaximusArcade, EmulationStation, and I think I tried LaunchBox once upon a time but no idea if it's still good.

Halp

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

If you're going to be building a cabinet from scratch anyway, I would honestly not bother with using the Slikstik and build a control panel that is actually comfortable to use. I get that lots of people have nostalgia for that Street Fighter II US cab layout and Happ parts but they're honestly not great to use for extended periods and are mostly designed for surviving environments where people are actively trying to vandalize the controls, and just feel horribly imprecise and clunky. The "3 buttons in a straight line" layout is also really anti-ergonomic.

Most people have moved on to sticks like the Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu LS series and buttons by the same companies, which can be found at various places:

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/
https://arcadeshock.com/
https://focusattack.com/

I personally would recommend Seimitsu LS-32 sticks and Seimitsu PS-14-G (snap mount, flat top)/Seimitsu PS-14-GN (screw mount, convex top)/Sanwa OBSF-30 (snap mount, convex top) buttons for "all around" arcade playing. There are also the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT sticks which are preferred if you are going to be playing mostly fighting games, but to me feel strange on other genres.

You can find some nice ergonomic layouts to cut into your panel here: https://slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html, which would be an improvement even if you stick with the Happ parts.

Here's an image showing how much clearance over the panel various stick models are meant to have:

The wiring is very easy, you can probably just pull out the harness and USB interface and everything from that slikstik and just wire the new controls to it where the old ones were.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 29, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

d0s posted:

If you're going to be building a cabinet from scratch anyway, I would honestly not bother with using the Slikstik and build a control panel that is actually comfortable to use. I get that lots of people have nostalgia for that Street Fighter II US cab layout and Happ parts but they're honestly not great to use for extended periods and are mostly designed for surviving environments where people are actively trying to vandalize the controls, and just feel horribly imprecise and clunky. The "3 buttons in a straight line" layout is also really anti-ergonomic.

Most people have moved on to sticks like the Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu LS series and buttons by the same companies, which can be found at various places:

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/
https://arcadeshock.com/
https://focusattack.com/

I personally would recommend Seimitsu LS-32 sticks and Seimitsu PS-14-G (snap mount, flat top)/Seimitsu PS-14-GN (screw mount, convex top)/Sanwa OBSF-30 (snap mount, convex top) buttons for "all around" arcade playing. There are also the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT sticks which are preferred if you are going to be playing mostly fighting games, but to me feel strange on other genres.

You can find some nice ergonomic layouts to cut into your panel here: https://slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html, which would be an improvement even if you stick with the Happ parts.

Here's an image showing how much clearance over the panel various stick models are meant to have:

The wiring is very easy, you can probably just pull out the harness and USB interface and everything from that slikstik and just wire the new controls to it where the old ones were.

This is a wicked post! I've used Sanwa stuff in like fight sticks and stuff before, so I know they're quality stuff - if I didn't already have literally everything (wood, vinyl siding, t molding and stuff) I'd 100% build it like you'd mentioned.

I definitely want to swap out the bat sticks for ball tops at least one day.

The biggest thing now is a) putting it together b) finding a monitor that works and c) getting software working

This project is old enough that my original size for stuff was to fit a huge 32 inch Sony CRT thing in here, with an AGP video card that had S-video out.

Sadly still have light guns, but they definitely don't work on an LCD. Maybe I'll get that wii bar thing working.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I didn't see a MAME-specific thread, or a Retroarch-specific thread, so hopefully this is fine here?

For various reasons I'm looking to use the libretro core of MAME with Retroarch on my Launchbox setup, instead of just running standalone MAME. Thing is, the romset that I have is for 0.211, which is about two years old, and the current mame-libretro core is definitely newer than that. Many of the titles I have from the older romset work fine in the current version of mame-libretro, but some don't -- those same games seem to work fine in my standalone install of 0.211, so I assume it's because they've been updated in the newer romset versions, and there's a compatibility issue.

Is there any way of getting ahold of the 0.211-specific release of mame-libretro besides figuring out how to compile it myself?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is there any reason you want to use MAME through RetroArch instead of just standalone MAME? They tend to make a bit of a hacky mess of shoving MAME into an infrastructure clearly not meant for it, so if you're on a PC made after 2013 and you're using a frontend anyway you're probably best just using the real deal.

The primary purpose of MAME on RetroArch is mostly for running buggy decade-old versions on Raspberry Pi and frustrating MAME developers getting reports of bugs they fixed several presidential administrations ago.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Kins posted:

Is there any reason you want to use MAME through RetroArch instead of just standalone MAME?

Largely because I'm not the only person using the machine for this (going to eventually turn it into a cabinet that should be accessible) and I'd really rather not have to have a big-rear end sign on the side of the thing showing off all the different possible hotkey combinations or instructions on rebinding problem controls because individual games are different etc.

libretro cores are just very convenient, I guess is the point of it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Drone posted:

Largely because I'm not the only person using the machine for this (going to eventually turn it into a cabinet that should be accessible) and I'd really rather not have to have a big-rear end sign on the side of the thing showing off all the different possible hotkey combinations or instructions on rebinding problem controls because individual games are different etc.

libretro cores are just very convenient, I guess is the point of it.

I'd recommend looking into using launchbox, since it allows you to do just this, though it's a bit complicated to start. There are precompiled collections out there though...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

George RR Fartin posted:

I'd recommend looking into using launchbox, since it allows you to do just this, though it's a bit complicated to start. There are precompiled collections out there though...

I am using Launchbox already, but Launchbox doesn't do things like unify control schemes across different emulators like Retroarch does with libretro cores.

Unless I'm missing something.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I'm using Retroarch via Launchbox now so I can use the mame2003plus core specifically because the computer isn't amazing

edit: but I'm not against a better solution for performance, I tinker with these projects 20x more than I ever play a game on them

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A good friend of mine who I stay with when in Japan just found this amazing time capsule in Osaka:

https://twitter.com/suddendesu/status/1434389824518049793

I really hope the COVID travel restrictions are gone before this place goes away because I really need to play Raiden II on a Namco Consolette and play MVS games on the quite rare first Neo-Geo cab (two of the carts in it are Pulstar and Windjammers :vince:), not to mention the several Domys, Ponys, Madonnas, etc.

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 7, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Is a 4:3 monitor in the 22-25ish inch range physically possible?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yes

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Like, a CRT? 32" Televisions were a pretty common sight back when people actually bought them. I wanna say there's a practical limit to the size a CRT can be, but it's mostly related to it eventually being impossible to move or place on a cabinet without crushing it. A quick and non-authoritative google tells me:

"The Sony PVM-4300 monitor weighed 440 ⁠lb (200kg) and had the largest ever CRT with a 43" diagonal display."

It's just shy of a quarter-ton, and being a PVM, I assume it was meant to be used in actual TV studios. A review I found said it cost $40,000.

Typically, once you got over the low 30 inch threshold, people would just buy a rear projection TV and pretend it didn't look like garbage.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Well I want one!!!

George RR Fartin posted:

Like, a CRT? 32" Televisions were a pretty common sight back when people actually bought them. I wanna say there's a practical limit to the size a CRT can be, but it's mostly related to it eventually being impossible to move or place on a cabinet without crushing it. A quick and non-authoritative google tells me:

"The Sony PVM-4300 monitor weighed 440 ⁠lb (200kg) and had the largest ever CRT with a 43" diagonal display."

It's just shy of a quarter-ton, and being a PVM, I assume it was meant to be used in actual TV studios. A review I found said it cost $40,000.

Typically, once you got over the low 30 inch threshold, people would just buy a rear projection TV and pretend it didn't look like garbage.

This is cool, I want to try a quarter-ton PVM

I also just wish I could find a screen for this cab

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i had a 32 inch trinitron a few apartments ago and it was so loving heavy that when i moved i just left it there

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

mycophobia posted:

i had a 32 inch trinitron a few apartments ago and it was so loving heavy that when i moved i just left it there

Same, and I'm super annoyed that I did it now. I did the same with a 21" CRT monitor I got for free from the college I went to/worked at. That thing weighed more than the TV and nearly broke my back getting to the third floor.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Randalor posted:

I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but are the Arcade1Up cabinets any good? I don't want to deal with the hassle of tracking down used cabinets/pcbs/parts, I just want something I can assemble, play with, and (eventually) throw a raspberry pi with mame into.

I was leaning towards the Capcom cabinet that includes the riser for the 6-button layout, and I know from seeing and testing some display models in-store that I would probably want to change out the sticks and buttons eventually, but they weren't the worst sticks and buttons I've used in an arcade cabinet, and the displays all seemed to be fairly responsive on the ones I saw set up.

Hey all, I'm getting in the same boat as this guy. I have a slight windfall from a bonus at work and want to use it to buy a prefab or not-that-much-effort cabinet to casually play ROMS and such. I know that the best option is to build my own, but I just don't have the time to do that, so I'm willing to pay extra for a "pretty good, not perfect, but relatively plug and play".

It seems that my main options are:

1) An existing prefab that costs $2000+

2) Buy an Arcade1UP for ~500, and then replace the control panel with https://arcademodup.com/ for ~400.

Does anyone have any experience ith the ArcadeModUp, or are there decent prefabs for cheaper that I should look into?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

if you're already at the point of spending a grand total i think you'd be better served overall by getting an xtension cab setup from recroommasters and putting a cheap display and raspberry pi in there. should cost the same or a little less and it'll serve you better in the long run.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Hey all, I'm getting in the same boat as this guy. I have a slight windfall from a bonus at work and want to use it to buy a prefab or not-that-much-effort cabinet to casually play ROMS and such. I know that the best option is to build my own, but I just don't have the time to do that, so I'm willing to pay extra for a "pretty good, not perfect, but relatively plug and play".

2) Buy an Arcade1UP for ~500, and then replace the control panel with https://arcademodup.com/ for ~400.

Does anyone have any experience ith the ArcadeModUp, or are there decent prefabs for cheaper that I should look into?

My wife ended up getting an atgames Legends Ultimate cabinet. The controls aren't bad, and it supports expanding the library out of the box, with no modding needed.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

Are you near DC at all? I've decided to downsize my 25 game collection, and may have something you could use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

XtraSmiley posted:

Are you near DC at all? I've decided to downsize my 25 game collection, and may have something you could use.

I am in Baltimore! I'll shoot you a PM.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

if you're already at the point of spending a grand total i think you'd be better served overall by getting an xtension cab setup from recroommasters and putting a cheap display and raspberry pi in there. should cost the same or a little less and it'll serve you better in the long run.

I've been trying to look at recroommasters the past day or two and their site seems to be down :saddowns: