Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Hatsune Mike posted:

A friend said, about STGs, that "if you die and you have bombs in stock, well, that's dumb".

i blame Cave's penalizing bomb usage in most of their games for noobs not wanting to use bombs in shmups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
sunset riders kills you with a giant bird if you hang out too long. similarly, mystic warriors has a giant roboskull. Rygar has a visible timer but if you run out of time instead of just dying instantly the music turns grim and a big red scary monster face chases after you, just sweeping across the screen over and over again getting faster and faster. Frightening really.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

magikid posted:

1CCs are basically impossible for most games

no?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the vast majority of japanese arcade games are designed to be 1CC'd. some are hard and some are easy. some are in between.

a lot of western games lean more toward the hard to literally impossible (terminator 2, revolution x, probably some other garbage light gun games). dont play these

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if you want a guide on how to approach arcade games, read the top part of this https://mycophobia.org/arcade_gaming.html

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
maybe i took your statement that most games are impossible to 1CC too seriously

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

My best 1CC, I got a deathless two loop clear of Ghouls' N Ghosts JP on the MiSTer.

nice

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

falz posted:

So the first two seem valid and era appropriate, but when I got to number 3 I realized this was written for modern times, after arcades were long gone.

That and the mame reference make it pretty hard to fully agree on how to 1cc something.. back in 1990. I guess that's not the point, but would be hear additional tips with that in mind.

I guess #3 would just be "watch the good guy at the arcade", if one happened to be there when you were.

"era appropriateness" is irrelevant. jp players credit feed the games for practice, watch each other, and talk to each other. there was and still remains physical game centers and a physical community of players over there, and there's a variety of reasonably active online communities of western players that mostly use mame. arcade games are being played now

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i respect metal slug 3 a lot for its epic scope but having the stage 4 boss be able to randomly deal out a nearly undodgeable attack right before the 20 minute long final stage and then give out no extends kinda really sucks

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
this is all on ps4 i think http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/title_list_aa.htm

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
GA is very easy cuz the enemies are really dumb and the game is like 10 minutes long. the genesis version with the extra stage is harder

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
without sega tetris there would be no tetris the grand master, so i hold it in high regard in that respect. but whenever i try to play it i find it hard not to just stop and play TGM1 instead

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
try a rom site

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I sent a 48 pack of beers to his house the next day.

what if he was a teetotaller. You monster!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is a 4:3 monitor in the 22-25ish inch range physically possible?

Yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i had a 32 inch trinitron a few apartments ago and it was so loving heavy that when i moved i just left it there

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

d0s posted:

i'm not going to post a link because :filez: but isn't it common knowledge where to get the current version fullsets

im sure there probably archived somewhere?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ooh they have tgm3. sick. and tatsujin. i could spend all day there

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

d0s posted:

linked it a few posts up, they need less than 10k and 15 days to go, hopefully some big tymers step in at the last minute :pray:

anyway here's a ghetto arcade spinner controller I'm building because I don't want to change a panel out on my astro city every time I want to play arkanoid, this form factor also makes sense for supergun play

Wiring's not done yet but I'm going to use some wire to wire connectors for the spinner 5v/gnd/L/R and buttons 1/2/3/start and then have the mated connectors coming off whatever I'll be using the spinner with like this Arkanoid to JAMMA adapter or the Capcom spinner I/O board. spinner is a seimitsu LS-29 I got with its pink twin and a capcom I/O on YAJ.

before anyone calls me out on butchering the virtua stick:

- there are stacks of them in Japanese shops for like 1000yen
- it already had holes from a LS-56 install
- it's kind of a crappy layout because the lever sits so low in relation to the buttons (this is why ABC is on the bottom)
- the original lever sucks and if you replace it with a LS-56 the shaft is too high
- the buttons suck and you can't just swap in normal 30mm buttons, the holes have to be dremeled larger, but button quality doesn't really matter for spinner games so I'm not doing this
- anything worth playing with a stick on saturn is an arcade port and there are better ways to play those games now

neat

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

legooolas posted:

Looks like they gutted a Gauntlet cab to do that, too :(

Good.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my tip for smash tv is dont play it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it plays like rear end and the whole game is just rooms of dudes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

Not sure how it plays like rear end, it's a twin stick shooter that is super responsive to your actions....

It is just rooms of dudes however. Not like the famous Donkey Kong, which is rooms of, uh, Donkeys?

your dude's way too slow by default and it's way too hard to 1CC, in a bad way. in a way that's utterly mindnumbing. the snes port improved things a lot but it's still kind of boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Robotron is a classic, and very marathonable. NARC is much easier to 1CC than Smash TV but it's still pretty jank