Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Arcades were everywhere in the 80s and 90s, but mostly died out as console hardware got more powerful. Nowadays there's many different groups dedicated to keeping arcade games alive:

MAME

MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator and it dominates the arcade emulation scene. It's been around since 1997 and supports 1000s of different games. MAME aims for accuracy rather than performance enhancing hacks, they don't care about your stupid Raspberry Pi.

Barcades*

Barcade is a portmanteau of Bar and Arcade. Barcades are bars that have a number of Arcade and Pinball Machines. They usually have a 'retro' aesthetic, and have video game themed drinks and food. Some of them don't take good care of their machines, so check reviews before you go.

* the word Barcade is actually trademarked and Lowtax has to pay 25 cents every time you read this thread.

Superguns

A supergun is a device that allows arcade PCBs to connect to ordinary consumer televisions.

I recommend the Home Arcade System supergun.

Cabinets in the Home

If you're a real baller you'll have a collection of every game you like in your "Man Cave". A single cabinet is a more reasonable solution, but remember these things are incredibly heavy. Thanks to the JAMMA standard, arcade game Hardware is generally interchangeable, meaning you can easily swap another game into your cabinet. Though it gets more complicated once you get into newer hardware (Early 2000s).

Of particular interest to Arcade Cabinet owners is the Japanese style "Candy" Cabinet, because you sit on a stool to play them and can make yourself a bit more comfortable. They are exported from Japan to America by the shipping container load, either by a dealer, or in a group buy organized on a forum. These are getting more expensive than they used to be.

Japan

Arcades are still thriving in Japan, and it's a must visit for arcade fans.

Fish Hunting Games

These are popular among the elderly Asian population. While they appear to be a game of skill, the outcome is mostly random. They pay out tokens, which are exchangeable for small prizes like toys or snacks. Some operators will exchange these tokens for cash, a form of illegal gambling.

Twin Galaxies/Billy Mitchell/High Score Contests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGphfksi3I

Weirdos. I find that the drama the scene produces (around cheating accusations and such) is more entertaining than the actual competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bossy lady posted:

Can we talk about fightcade in here? I would rather play with goons than the usual crowd of racists, sore losers, and idiots.

https://twitter.com/FightcadeTXT/status/1096934957455421441

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone know anything about Bubble Bobble hardware? It seems there's a way to make the gameplay on a bootleg board work the same as it does on real board but i'm not 100% on the details.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Just want to say this thread owns and while I don't have the money time space or skill to host a cabinet of any size in my house at this time, I dare to dream and live vicariously through those that can and do.

Get a supergun.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

falz posted:

It seems like candy cabs are only attainable on the coasts? Literally haven't ever seen one in middle of the us. Someone please drive some out here for me to buy, thanks.

Unfortunately ships can only go on water.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/leonkiriliuk/status/1189376519774314497

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Perhaps Lehman Brothers was a poor choice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Here's a cool article about hacking NBA Jam to add Michael Jordan, he even supplies program so you can add your own players.

http://fabiensanglard.net/nbajamte/

Plus some Shaq:

https://twitter.com/nbajambook/status/1186739322466291712

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 7, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bidding on an NBA JAM Tournament Edition PCB, wish me luck.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

midge posted:

If it doesn't work out I have one for sale. I did say a few pages back :)

oooh what prices do you want for your boards?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Plenty of fighting games where the AI cheats.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mortal Kombat Characters were secret players in early revisions of NBA Jam Tournament Edition but the NBA made Midway take them out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Barudak posted:

The arcade by me in China has a machine that is straight up as far as I can tell every mame compatible game plus two joysticks. 400+ arcade titles, ~18 US cents per play. Crazy illegal but nobody is gonna shut down a tier 3 city mall arcade over this.

Did you ever go to a bar called "Ron Mexico"?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DanAdamKOF posted:

Do the spinners get in the way? It looks like they would.

That is neat how they're open to using it with other hardware, and left the door open for hacks.

:allbuttons:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

New board arrived, anyone want to try and guess what it is?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m using a hori real arcade pro 3 but the loving door for the cable compartment broke off.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yep :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This reminds me of a game that I've been trying to find for ages. It was a top down racing game likes the ones above but it had a message on the screen during the attract mode saying something to the effect that the game's developers had decided not to show the French flag as a form of protest against the French nuclear testing program.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I swear to god it was an arcade game.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

A lot of 'arcades' in Asia are essentially gambling dens. The people there are addicted. They won't stop.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/znm8zx/why-cops-are-raiding-arcade-over-a-fishing-game

This article is really interesting btw.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What will you be trying to 1cc during your quarantine time?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about making a 4 player harness for my NBA Jam pcb but where am i going to get 3 friends?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

I don't remember what version it was but way back in the day I ordered a unibios and it came packed in a box of matches, with the matches still inside.

4.0 has such a classy looking interface, perfect neo-geo baller aesthetic

I've still got 2 Razoola matchboxes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just get a NeoSD you filthy poors.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just get an AES fullset you filthy poors.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You don't buy AES games to play, you buy them to show people online that you own them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should I spend 4000$ on an F-zero AX full motion arcade machine?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ControlV posted:

Got this baby last week, my first full-sized cabinet:

Anyone have a guide or any advice on how to clean and maintain it, and maybe how to fix nicks in the wood? Also came with this extra "cartridge", anyone know how to swap them out?

Learn about the JAMMA standard

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone wants to buy my TMNT board, but I have no idea what to charge him, can anyone point me in the right direction of how to find out the market price?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
bro i'd put money on that having a multicade in it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What did you use as the donor board for the System 1 multi? Are there any non-expensive games you could use?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

sitting here programming 15X 32Mbit EPROMs for the System 16 multi that arrived, which I was hoping to install over the long weekend only to find that the 68000 I had lying around to replace my S16's encrypted one was 8mhz and not 10mhz :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiX0Toz4Ix0

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I figured out how to use clrmamepro to update romsets to the newest version and now i never want to use mame again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lemon King posted:

I ended up picking up 2 Primal Rage boards recently, mostly because I haven't heard of any recent Emulation progress or MisterFPGA core work being done.

The boards themselves work fine and the serial numbers are intact. Just one board was different, where Primal Rage 2.3 was build dated Dec 6/7 1994, one was build dated Jan 4th 1995. I ended up dumping the data from the roms and MAME has no listing of it. Neat. As far as I could tell the Japanese version of Primal Rage wasn't just setting the Language in the service menu to Japanese.

The second thing I did was backup my eeprom data from both these boards to keep the serial numbers and current play history. This also allowed me figure out how serials are stored and create clean play history eeproms if I ever want to use a "factory fresh" setup.

Is it just me or is that a very big board?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh man Bubble Bobble.

I assume it's a bootleg bubble bobble pcb? I have one in storage and the chips that you can change so it behaves the same way as the original I just haven't done it yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namlosh posted:

Hey I'm not sure if this thread is dead or not... but I'll try here first.

I've never owned an arcade PCB, but wanted to take a swing at getting a specific one: Karate Champ.
I'm not bothered by having to troubleshoot a non-working one. In fact that's going to be part of the fun.
I'm also aware that I'll need to get a jamma interface or supergun or whatever to actually play.

My main question is: how do I tell if something's real/complete or not?
Like, take a look at this ebay listing
It's really cheap, but it's not a very sought after game. Like at all.
It seems to have no markings indicating the manufacturer or game or anything on it.
Some of the chips do have date codes from 1983/1984, which is good...

I see tons of bodge wires, but that seems pretty normal for a pcb... I just don't know.
I'd try Klov (I even donated to the museum to get a verified or whatever account), but I don't see any Karate Champ pcb's there for sale right now.

A lot of games from that Era were bootlegged to hell and back, MAME is actually a fabulous resource for keeping track of variants and bootlegs.

A good sign that a game is legit and not a bootleg is that it has stickers or markings on it from the original manufacturer (in this case data east). A lot of sellers put bootleg in the ebay description as well.

The lack of any data-east or deco markings is making me think that's a bootleg.

The JAMMA standard only really started appearing on games in about 1986, you will have to make or buy an adapter.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 25, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You don't need to reinvent all this stuff, HAS and a quality power supply is what you need.

XtraSmiley posted:

2. Just buy a Data East adapter, they are clean and cheap. About $25. Check eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241993311...ABk9SR6jFpeeYYQ

This one says it isn't properly compatible with Karate champ. I looked up the game and it uses two joysticks for each player.

You are going to have to work out how to modify the wiring for the adapter board, it doesn't look hard.

https://pcbjunkie.net/index.php/jamma-adapters/data-east-to-jamma-adapter/

VS

https://www.arcade-museum.com/pinouts-game/8279.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I dunno what's up with HAS these days, when I got mine I had to wait a long time. You could check his thread on the arcade-projects forums.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/home-arcade-system.332/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have fun, but beware, once you have one board you won't be able to stop buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sometimes you can find useful information about a game in the mame source code comments, particularly if it’s a weird revision or bootleg. In this case there’s all kind of weirdness like a version that mixes Japanese and US Roms.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/dataeast/kchamp.cpp