Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Just want to say this thread owns and while I don't have the money time space or skill to host a cabinet of any size in my house at this time, I dare to dream and live vicariously through those that can and do.

:yeah:

Arcade collecting is utterly fascinating to me, despite me never actually wanting to (seriously) get into it myself. My parents were quite poor so arcade gaming was only something I got to do sparingly, but when I did get the chance to visit the arcade (or get treated to an evening at Dave & Buster's by a family friend) it was always awesome.

Now I'm in my 30s and theoretically have disposable income, but I've since moved to Germany. Beyond living in an apartment with no space for an arcade cabinet, it also seems like the arcade scene in Germany basically never existed because of local laws treating arcade machines as gambling, thus making arcades basically unknown here. It's also affected the used market, and hearing about all these amazing Craigslist scores that people get back in the US occasionally is a bit depressing because stuff like that would basically be impossible here :smith:

Meantime I'll content myself enough with MAME and a fight stick, I guess. Maybe someday when I get a bigger apartment or a house, I would love to put together a MAME cabinet or something just for the aesthetic factor, but beyond that... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I didn't see a MAME-specific thread, or a Retroarch-specific thread, so hopefully this is fine here?

For various reasons I'm looking to use the libretro core of MAME with Retroarch on my Launchbox setup, instead of just running standalone MAME. Thing is, the romset that I have is for 0.211, which is about two years old, and the current mame-libretro core is definitely newer than that. Many of the titles I have from the older romset work fine in the current version of mame-libretro, but some don't -- those same games seem to work fine in my standalone install of 0.211, so I assume it's because they've been updated in the newer romset versions, and there's a compatibility issue.

Is there any way of getting ahold of the 0.211-specific release of mame-libretro besides figuring out how to compile it myself?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Kins posted:

Is there any reason you want to use MAME through RetroArch instead of just standalone MAME?

Largely because I'm not the only person using the machine for this (going to eventually turn it into a cabinet that should be accessible) and I'd really rather not have to have a big-rear end sign on the side of the thing showing off all the different possible hotkey combinations or instructions on rebinding problem controls because individual games are different etc.

libretro cores are just very convenient, I guess is the point of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

George RR Fartin posted:

I'd recommend looking into using launchbox, since it allows you to do just this, though it's a bit complicated to start. There are precompiled collections out there though...

I am using Launchbox already, but Launchbox doesn't do things like unify control schemes across different emulators like Retroarch does with libretro cores.

Unless I'm missing something.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I feel like it's fairly normal to just get a complete romset and then sit on it + its version of MAME for a few years before updating again.

I'm still running on 0.211 and not in any rush to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

d0s posted:

i'm not going to post a link because :filez: but isn't it common knowledge where to get the current version fullsets

For me it's more that I can't be hosed to download the 80 gigabyte split set and then another 450 of CHD's or whatever

Some kind of MAME updater tool would be a godsend if it doesn't already exist. Input the romset version and type you have, click a button, and it just fetches the files that have changed since that given romset instead of making you download a whole-rear end complete romset all the time.