Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session of 1290 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

The following directives are tied for votes, and the EMPEROR can choose between them:

No items have reached the 1/3rd or 2/3rds opposition limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

In that case, my decision is clear. We must show that we are a just and virtuous kingdom.

To break the tie, I call for Mercy on the Childe King.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1290

* Institute Imperial Examinations, appoint the Inspector-General to oversee them, and upgrade the House of Groves

* Declare a holy war for the duchy of Fars, to be awarded to the family of Ahriman, and host a Light of the World Festival afterwards

* Spend at least 2000 golds on upgrades in the duchy of Jerusalem

* Award a titular Protector with kingly dignity to each region without a crowned king

* Advance Melee Techniques technology

* Commission a tome on the Adventures of the Gilded Goose

* Switch Council Positions of Doge Adhid of Red Sea Republic and Queen Denise of the Indus

* Appoint Doge Martim of Oresund Republic as Advisor

* Revoke the county of Hebron from the former Childe King, but show mercy on him otherwise

Chapter 38 – Into Persia – 1290 to 1300

When I first marched into Jerusalem almost a quarter of a century ago, nobody thought I would last this long. Foreigner, heathen, usurper – those were just some of the insults slung at me, and some of the milder ones at that.

But now, as I approach my 70th birthday, I yet rule as Emperor in Jerusalem.

Sitting on my throne in Mirabel, I pass judgement on the rebels and traitors that fight to depose me.

Sitting in the halls of the Haute Cour, I meet with advisors looking to establish a system of examinations in the same vein as ancient Rome and distant China.

And sitting under the shade of the Kashmar Cypress, I talk to architects and builders planning a grand renovation of the House of Groves, only a few miles away on the slopes of Temple Mount.

But in all those places and through all those years, I still held onto my dream, my ambition, my destiny.

Persia.

And now, I was certain, my time had come. I might be old and gray with failing eyesight and a soft belly, but it was time to march on Persia.

Of course, preparations had to be made and loyalties secured, so I agreed to name a few powerful Princes as the Protectors of the Four Corners of the Empire – a meaningless honour, in times of peace at least, but enough to gain their support for my war.

To protect against a possible invasion from Egypt, new fortifications were also erected along the western border shared with the rebel republicans.

At the same time, the first of many Imperial Examinations were conducted in Jerusalem, with young nobles and courtiers from all across the Empire – and beyond – trekking to holy city to participate. Tested in stewardship, histories, alchemy, languages, theology and even philosophy, the highest scorers were quickly recruited by kings and princes throughout the realm, all eager to leave their estates in capable hands whilst they feasted and jousted and made war.

Even I brought a few of these examinees into the royal court, including a talented mercenary, polyglot and surgeon-poet from distant Cathay as court physician.

But soon enough, the campaigning season was upon us and it was time to leave. Scouts informed us that the Great Khan – only really khan over Persia and Turan by now – was weaker than ever, there would be no better opportunity to make war.

And so we did.

Almost 25,000 levies were gathered at Baghdad, and once I reached them a few days later, our march into Persia began.

A frail man in his 70s, I didn’t exactly cut the same figure as I might’ve in years past… but the youth, ambition, energy, it all came flooding back into me as my warhorse waded into the rushing waters of the Tigris. I was going home.

And whilst I led 25,000 from the west, the King-on-the-Indus led a much smaller force of 5000 from the east, crossing into Mongol territories with orders to burn, plunder and wreak havoc.

Kufa, Basra, Sus – the forts and towns dotting the banks of the Tigris fell one by one, and we crossed into Persia proper in the summer of 1295, seizing the coastal lowlands and advancing into the mountainous interior, marauding and pillaging until, almost out of nowhere, the Mongols fell on us.

Trapped in a narrow mountain pass, we could only turn and fight...

And for five long days, we fought. We fought with our backs to the rock, we fought with our fallen unburied, we fought until Ahura Mahza finally took pity...

...and reinforcements reached us.

The victory was narrow and hardwon, but it was enough. Scarcely a week later, an emissary arrived from the Great Khan – busy contending with rebellion in Central Asia – offering terms of surrender in return for peace.

I had planned to fight until the entirety of Persia was mine, but this was enough.

Because, whilst I marched from the west and my Indian vassals invaded from the east, another vassal of mine was doing the same to the north. Princess of Baghdad and Protector of the East, Konstantzia’s campaign was longer and bloodier, but she also emerged victorious, seizing most of the mountainous Jibal region within another year.

And with that, by the greening festival of 1298, the shepherd-and-crook banners of Jerusalem were flying across half of Persia.

I spent a few weeks in the east – wandering the ruins of Pasargadae, praying at the fire temple of Perozabad, overseeing the raising of new Persepolis. But finally, with my court and duties waiting, I began the journey back to Jerusalem.

I would never see the holy city again.

---

By the time the body of Ahriman was carried into Jerusalem, to be interred alongside his predecessors and successors, the first elected Emperor in sixty years was about to be crowned.

Emperor-Preferent Ogier.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

All character sheets are updated. If I missed anyone, just say so. Session opens tomorrow.

Casualties:

- Khuman, Emperor-Usurper of Jerusalem, succeeded by Prince Khodadad of Fars.
- Beatriz II, Queen of Armenia, succeeded by King Álvaro.
- Denise, Queen-on-the-Indus, succeeded by King Philippe.
- Rutger, Prince of Antioch, succeeded by Prince Gijsbrecht.
- Konstantzia, Princess of Baghdad and Protector of the East, succeeded by Prince-Protector Bernart.
- Robert, Prince of Tripoli and Protector of the North, succeeded by Prince-Protector Audoin.
- Benoît, Prince of Oultrejourdain, succeeded by Prince Philippe.
- Ya'or, Princess of Hellas, succeeded by Prince Ting.
- Pijoul, Prince of Aegea, succeeded by Prince Antoine.
- Gargamel, Prince of Bhakkar, succeeded by Princess Almodis.
- Rorgon, Prince of Stravani, succeeded by Prince Dwyfan.
- Sirvart, Countess of Tabuk, succeeded by Count Trdat.
- Mukhtar, Count of Acre, succeeded by Abderahman.
- Ademar, Count of Tiberias, succeeded by Count Othon.
- Benoit, Countess of Kerak, succeeded by Count Valeran.
- Adhid Shukrid, Doge of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Doge Khalid.
- Aziz Andirsun, Doge of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Lord Taimur.
- Yanchang, Patrician of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Taimur.
- Martim, Doge of the Oresund Republic, succeeded by Patrician Bermudo.
- Holger Thermidor, Doge of the Oresund Republic, succeeded by Doge Sigfred.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

House de Redvers stands with Architects of Paradise.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

King Phillipe will keep the Carpanels under the Architects of Paradise

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Elaine, Protector-Princess of the South

"After several sessions leading A Gilded Tomorrow, I feel it's time that I stepped down as leader. We're making lots of money. Our recent wars have brought even more of the Silk Road under our control. And our merchants rule... a bunch of seas, I can't even name them all. The Nile Republic was lost, but Cyprus has risen to replace it. So, I personally consider the party's goals fulfilled. (Also, I'm pretty busy with other things.) In its place, I will join the Eternal Flame."

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Prince-Protector Audoin

I, of course, vow to continue my father's legacy in the Eternal Flame! Ahriman's mortal fire has indeed burned out, but the spark he brought to Jerusalem has only begun to burn! Though we no longer hold the imperial office, the Faith Eternal will continue to commit itself to the spread of civilization, the protection of Jerusalem, and supporting our Mazdan brothers and sisters across the world.

The Fire rises, my friends, but it is no consuming inferno- it is a beacon, of progress, of power, of purity! And it will shine forevermore!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 17, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

I, Prince Khodadad shall remain in the Eternal Flame!

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 17, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

House Safaga hereby declares that A Gilded Tomorrow has fulfilled its purpose. As no other party matches Safaga politics, House Safaga is Independent

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Patrician Taimur d'Cathay of the Red Sea Republic

So, this is the House of Groves, huh? I have to admit, I was expecting a little more from the biggest empire in the Middle West. Maybe some frescos... a few fountains?

But I'm getting off track. I'm here today to announce that House d'Cathay will be independent for now. Yao-er and Yijian put a lot of work into the Friendly Association Against Yurpean and Mongolian Aggression but, as far as I can tell, the faction has completed all of its goals. It smashed the Mongols. It instituted Eastern reforms in Jerusalem. Hell, it even managed to re-establish a dead empire in Yurp. The other faction members are great, but that's no excuse to lug a corpse around.

I'll continue participating in the Haute Cour on behalf of my relatives. While I don't have a ton of interest in starting a new faction like my ancestors, I will say that there's no one on the political scene who is willing to stand up for Mohammad Christians like myself. If there's anyone who can represent our needs and the needs of other religious groups, my family will consider joining you.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 17, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The newest Egge-Thermidors head ot the podium. One is quite ugly, and the other is clad in finest finery, but looks a bit sheepish to be out in fron of others. Bernart (JESTER) gives him sone serious side-eye.

Sigfred: "Even though I do not follow the faith, I see what great things it has done for my family, and will go with the wishes of the Thermidor Primarch.

Bernart (EGGE): "Under the Great Ahriman my mother was able to double the size of here realm, making it one of the richest in the land. I don't wish to be in the spotlight like my Thermidorian cousin, and will try to keep from doing so."

Doge Sigfred Egge-Thermidor of the Oresund and Prince-Protector Bernart 'The Rich' Egge-Thermidor of Baghdad and Jibal join the Eternal Flame.

Bernart (EGGE) leaves in a hurry back to his seat, attempting not to make eye contact with Bernart (JESTER). Sigfred sits between them.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Prince Philippe of Oultrejordain will join the Architects of Paradise

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
The young Count of Acre will remain independent, although the following session when he will be nearly of age, he will likely be looking to join an expansionist party who can either restore Ascalon to the Empire, or find new lands to return his family to ducal dignity.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Lord Taimur will join the Architects of Paradise.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mael, Protector of the West, sends a letter to the Haute Cour from his castle on Cephalonia

Friends, old age has mellowed me out some what. Seclusion from the disease ravaging my land has also encouraged me to take stock. For my intemperate behaviour when I was younger, I sincerely apologise.

After I was crowned Protector, the late Emperor and I engaged in fierce correspondence. Before he left for Persia to strike at the heart of the Mongol, he had finally won me over on the truth of Zoroaster, the wise Prophet, and convinced me Jesus too spoke the truth of Mazda Ahura. And I have much to thank the Emperor for; he was the most effective warrior against the amassed hordes.

I would like to also confirm my departure from FAAYMA. The decision that House d'Cathay made was a tough one, but was made with my full agreement and support. I do not wish to speak for Prince Ghiyasaddin, but the houses of FAAYMA became the closest of friends, and I hope to keep those friendships as we part ways, our mission completed.

House Radnor joins Eternal Flame.

(OOC: I'd also like to become Zoroastrian or Manichean if possible.)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 18, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Missed a casualty -

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Abrãoswill stay with the Architects of Paradise.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also a heads up, all exiled characters are going into the independent pool unless you state otherwise.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Faction Tally leading to the 1300 Session

Architects of Paradise (Infrastructure, Exploration, Culture)

Leader: Emperor-Preferant Ogier (Mirdini)
Members: Prince Nuri (Vinny Possum), Prince Geraud (AJ_Impy), Princess Almodis (Technowolf), King Philippe (HiHoChiRho), Princess Vartouhi (Freudian), Prince Philippe (Captain Mediocre), King Álvaro (Frionnel), Lord Mayor Taimur (WilliamAnderson)
# of members/votes: 9 members, 39 votes

The Eternal Flame (Zoroastrianism, Persian Conquest, Fire)

Leader: Prince-Protector Audoin (Lord Cyrahzax)
Members: Prince-Protector Bernart (Ralepozozaxe), Patrician Shahab (Pacho), Prince Khodadad (Kangxi), Lord Mayor Isa (Gigagar), Prince-Protector Mael (TinTower), Princess-Protector Elaine (megane)
# of members/votes: 7 members, 25 votes

A Gilded Tomorrow (Economy, Merchantry, Innovation)

Leader: ????
Members: Count Onfroy (Flesnolk), Queen Ildégarde (Rody One Half)
# of members/votes: 2 members, 8 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Count Valeran (Slaan), Patrician Taimur (QuoProQuid), Count Abderahman (Angstrom Gothington), Prince Antoine (Thordain), King Duihon (Zikan), Prince Barnard II (Jossar), Prince Gijsbrecht (Pakled), Prince Oluf (TheFlyingLlama), Count Raymond (i81icu812), Prince Yoel (Hattie Matters), Prince Gennadios (Clayren), Count Mukhtar (habeasdorkus), Count Aubry (Zedhe Khoja), Count Roubaud (Luhood), Count Trdat (Yavuz), Count Sigismond (Soup du Jour), Doge Khalid (mcclay)
# of members/votes: 17 members, 64 votes

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 18, 2020

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Faction Tally leading to the 1300 Session

Architects of Paradise (Infrastructure, Exploration, and Culture)

Leader: Emperor-Preferant Ogier (Mirdini)
Members: Prince Nuri (Vinny Possum), Prince Geraud (AJ_Impy), Princess Almodis (Technowolf), King Philippe (HiHoChiRho), Princess Vartouhi (Freudian), Prince Philippe (Captain Mediocre), King Álvaro (Frionnel)
# of members/votes: 8 members, 36 votes

The Eternal Flame (Zoroastrianism, Persian Conquest, and Fire)

Leader: Prince-Protector Audoin (Lord Cyrahzax)
Members: Prince-Protector Bernart (Ralepozozaxe), Patrician Shahab (Pacho), Prince Khodadad (Kangxi), Lord Mayor Isa (Gigagar), Prince-Protector Mael (TinTower), Princess-Protector Elaine (megane)
# of members/votes: 7 members, 25 votes

A Gilded Tomorrow (Economy, Merchantry, and Innovation)

Leader: ????
Members: Lord Mayor Taimur (WilliamAnderson), Count Onfroy (Flesnolk), Queen Ildégarde (Rody One Half),
# of members/votes: 3 members, 11 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Patrician Taimur (QuoProQuid), Count Abderahman (Angstrom Gothington), Prince Antoine (Thordain), King Duihon (Zikan), Prince Barnard II (Jossar), Prince Gijsbrecht (Pakled), Prince Oluf (TheFlyingLlama), Count Raymond (i81icu812), Prince Yoel (Hattie Matters), Prince Gennadios (Clayren), Count Mukhtar (habeasdorkus), Count Aubry (Zedhe Khoja), Count Roubaud (Luhood), Count Trdat (Yavuz), Count Sigismond (Soup du Jour), Doge Khalid (mcclay)
# of members/votes: 16 members, 61 votes

I left A Gilded Tomorrow. It's done. The GOP is no more.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

WilliamAnderson posted:

I left A Gilded Tomorrow. It's done. The GOP is no more.

Updated, though it ain't gone until everyone officially leaves.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Updated, though it ain't gone until everyone officially leaves.

I thought you had to have three members?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

WilliamAnderson posted:

I thought you had to have three members?

If I remember it's something like 2 sessions with less than 3 members for it to disband.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

If I remember it's something like 2 sessions with less than 3 members for it to disband.

this is correct yeah

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Dominant faction: Architects of Paradise

Session of the Haute Cour, 1300

: Kings, Princes, Counts, Lords.

: We live in strange times. The west is in flames, the east is rising, and here in the center of the world… we fight for survival.

: Jerusalem has grown vast, and diverse, and convoluted, more than ever before. We are no longer Franks and Germans and Danes, but Outremer. We are no longer Catholics, but Reformers and Orthodoxites and Miaphysites and Mahometans and, yes, Zoroastraians. We are no longer a crusader kingdom, but the last and greatest heir of Empire. Jerusalem is the last remnant of civilization in a barbaric world, and she must survive.

: Christian, infidel, heathen, none of it matters to me. All that matters is that we, and Jerusalem, survive the great trials that are coming.

State of Affairs

Emperor-Preferent: Ogier Blaiddyd
Government: Agnatic-Cognatic Elective Monarchy
Factions: Architects of Paradise, Eternal Flame
Treasury: 145 gold, +71.43/month
Piety: 684, +0.72/month
Grace: 0
Threat: 70%
Army: 40904 levies
Non-Aggression Pacts: Pope-King of Abyssinia.
Alliances: none.
Wars: none.

Active Policies:
  • none.
Active Laws - 10/10:

World Map:

Jerusalem, House of Groves

Weak Claims:

Succession:
Next in line for Jerusalem is Prince Khobadad of Fars.

Council and Court:
Most positions are currently opened.

Laws:
Next law can be passed now, once the emperor comes out of hiding.

Technology:
Nothing currently available.

Military:
Levies are mostly recovered from the persian war.

Factions:

Known Plots:

Decisions:

Religion:
Back to Reformed Catholics, so MA is picking up again.

Culture:

Relations:

Trade Zones:
Somehow still more republics - Aquitaine, Cilicia, some duchy in Norway and maybe something in India.

Defensive Pacts:

Diseases:

Empire of China:

Ruler Prerogative:
- Staging the cheapest coronation ceremony.
- Awarding minor titles.
- Arranging marriages for family members and courtiers.
- Imprisoning treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Ransoming/Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing prisoners of war.
- Purchasing favours.
- Converting his own religion.
- Requesting that courtiers and vassals convert to his religion.

Legislation:
Once the Haute Cour is in session, any lord of the realm can submit legislation, which largely consists of Policies and Laws, as well as optional Directives.
As mentioned, members of the Haute Cour may support or oppose proposals of their choosing.
If at least 1/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, then that proposal is submitted for the consideration of the King. If at least 2/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, it is struck from the books regardless of the amount of support received. The King may strongarm a policy of his own devising in its place.
Sessions of the Haute Cour last 48 hours, 24 hours for drafting legislation and 24 hours for voting. After this period, the 4 most popular proposals are gathered into a single document or Recess, which is then implemented in the next update.

Rules of the Haute Cour:
- You cannot join or change factions when the Haute Cour is in session.
- A member of a Faction may support or oppose legislation submitted by anyone.
- Courtiers are entitled to 1 vote, Barons to 2 votes, Counts to 3 votes, Dukes to 4 votes, Kings/Viceroys to 5 votes. Members of the Council have 2 additional votes.
- The Designated Regent minor title has 1 additional vote, but in the event of a incapable or underage ruler and resulting regency, this will rise to 5 votes.
- Votes are cumulative, so for example, a Count may have 10 votes if they are on the Council and become Regent.
- In addition to supporting Policies or Laws, lords may vote Aye/Nay on each Directive.
- Rank has no effect when Directives are being considered. In this case, each member of the Haute Cour has only a single vote, Aye or Nay.
- If Policies and/or Laws gather sufficient opposition, they may be struck from the bill. The King may strongarm his own agenda into the bill in their place.
- In cases where Laws and Policies contradict one another, the policy will take precedence.
- If support for two proposals are equal, and there is only one place remaining in the Recess, the King chooses between them.
- For obvious reasons, legislation cannot pertain to the ruler’s personal life, unless is he is underage. So, for example, the Haute Cour has no control over who the King marries, though unwise decisions may affect his standing amongst his lords.
- The Haute Cour has no authority over the Character Focus or the Ambition of the King, those being his private matter.

For more details on legislative sessions, click HERE.
For more detail on in-game actions, click HERE.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

While my husband is...indisposed, I, the Protectress Solene of Tripoli and North, have come to the Cour in his stead, as the scribe of the Eternal Flame's...vision. The time of you lords and ladies is precious, so I will get to the point quickly. This is the bill proposed by the House of Toulouse and the Eternal Flame:

The Brightest Beacon
1. Within the next 10 years, begin construction on a Harbour Colossus named The Brightest Beacon, in the Province of Julfar.
2. The Monarch may use the treasury to buy favors from council members for the sake of avoiding tyranny for the act of declaring wars, and is authorized to spend to gather support for this war from the council if necessary
3. If we are not in a defensive war, have a positive income, no powerful dangerous factions (+65% strength), we have less than 50% threat, our troop totals are higher than those of our opponents, we do not have a truce with the target, and would not gain tyranny from declaring the war, We shall declare a holy war for the Duchy of Kerman. The Duchy of Kerman will be given out strictly following the APA.

The description of the colossus is as follows:

quote:

Ahriman may not have come from our realm, but he fought for it his entire reign. Even when lands were lost he went and took them back, and even pushed deep into the long held Mongol territory of Persia, greatly empowering our realm. In his honor, we will build a great colossus, akin to the one who stood in mighty in Rhodes so long ago. We shall have the great architect Lord Mayor Isa help lead in the design and construction, as his constructions in Khaybar are truly awe-inspiring. It shall build the great statue on the strait of Hormuz on the Julfar side, right on the tip. It will defend the strait not with a sword, an axe, or a weapon of any kind. Instead he shall wield a great ever-burning fire, a welcome sight to wary travelers, and a warning to those who wish us harm. Now, you may ask why isn't Ahriman standing upon the Persian lands Ahriman was always fighting and yearning for throughout his reign. No matter were he stands he will watch over and defend our lands, but he will always be looking towards Persia. Simply put, standing on the coast across from Persia will give him the best possible view. And just the same, the people in Persia will get to see the great figure wherever they are. We may as well also get the other side of the straight while we are at it.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 19, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Sigfred makes for the podium.

Where the hell is the Emperor? Is he hiding, is he hiding from a disease? Our nobles have grown soft, we need to get our troops back into shape., as my cousin Holger pushed for. I propose that we shift Noble Obligations to Levy Focused.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

The newly elected Emperor-Preferent reclines in his oversized chair in the chambers of the Haute Cour, scratching his backside and laconically popping grapes into his mouth as his younger brother reads a proclamation on his behalf.

The Emperor would like to thank the assembled lords of the Haute Cour for their faith in him, and further commend those who contributed to the Architects of Paradise remaining the largest faction in the Cour in this session. This faith will be repaid in full, and he hopes your initiatives this session the best of luck. But first, there are some pronouncements to make.

As decreed by the Emperor-Preferent, the following actions are to be taken forthwith:

The following loyal vassals will be placed in these respective Council positions:

King Álvaro as Chancellor,
Grandmaster Gautier as Marshal,
Queen Ildégarde as Steward,
Prince-Protector Bernart as Spymaster,
Doge Khalid as Trade Liaison,
Queen Duihon as Advisor,
and King Philippe as Advisor.

Mathieu's eyebrows shoot up. Behind him, Ogier grins at the clear excitement in his brother's voice as he reads the next line.

Furthermore, the Blaiddyd-held Duchy of Galilee and any holdings therein held directly by the Emperor are to be awarded to Mathieu Blaiddyd, as his rightful patrimony. [Editor's note: illegal, per current laws]

That is all for this moment.

Mathieu wraps up the scroll, shoots his brother a look, and dashes out of the chamber, no doubt eager to arrange his new estates.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 19, 2020

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

One of the greatest regrets of my great grandfather and grandfather is that Jerusalem never united it's holdings with Greece to the rest of Jerusalem. With the land splintered, it might be the opportune time to claim the great city for the glory of our empire.
But let's not repeat the mistakes of my grandfather and go into it blind. To that end, I propose:

E: updated directive, see next post

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 19, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Oh no you don't, your Majesty. Jerusalem Administrative title reform act of 1220 applies. "The monarch of Jerusalem will do their utmost to respect ducal and kingly boundaries, and return counties, vassal counts, ducal titles and vassal dukes the monarch is personally in control of but does not hold de jure suzerainty of to the suzerainty of their rightful lords whenever possible."

Your brother is not the rightful lord of the Duchy of Galilee, that distinction falls to the Count of Tiberias. Do we need to legislate this, or will you profane a law written in a Blayiddid's own hand?

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh no you don't, your Majesty. Jerusalem Administrative title reform act of 1220 applies. "The monarch of Jerusalem will do their utmost to respect ducal and kingly boundaries, and return counties, vassal counts, ducal titles and vassal dukes the monarch is personally in control of but does not hold de jure suzerainty of to the suzerainty of their rightful lords whenever possible."

Your brother is not the rightful lord of the Duchy of Galilee, that distinction falls to the Count of Tiberias. Do we need to legislate this, or will you profane a law written in a Blayiddid's own hand?

My brother's got a strong claim to the Duchy, as strong'a claim as that belongin' to the Count of Tiberias. A Count who more recently lost it in a just conflict! In such a case of mixed rights, I believe the law recognizes such claims equally. As such, the good Count can try to take it back, but as thins' currently stand it's within my prerogative to pass it out as I please. Also, I do hold de jure suzerainty over the Duchy of Galilee, so the Act don't even apply!

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 18, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mael, Protector of the West, sends another letter

Friends, I submit for your consideration the new standard of the Protectorship of the West, and my own house. It represents both my family's heritage and the eternal flame of Ahura Mazda.

It is my hope that the Cour updates its records without need for a directive, but if it is needed, I request the Clerks of the Cour to interpret this letter as containing one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mirdini posted:

My brother's got a strong claim to the Duchy, as strong'a claim as that belongin' to the Count of Tiberias. A Count who more recently lost it in a just conflict! In such a case of mixed rights, I believe the law recognizes such claims equally. As such, the good Count can try to take it back, but as thins' currently stand it's within my prerogative to pass it out as I please. Also, I do hold de jure suzerainty over the Duchy of Galilee, so the Act don't even apply!

Ah, but it is not within your prerogative! Cour Cohesion Commitment, third clause.

"If the monarch holds more counties than their demense limit allows, they must hand out those duchies until they have reached their demense limit, prioritizing handing out counties to characters who would have those counties in their de-jure demense. If none are available, they will hand them out via the APA. If the monarch holds more than two ducal titles, they must grant such excessive titles to count-level vassals under that title. Should they hold any counties under the granted titles, they must also pass control of those counties to the newly assigned Duke or Duchess."

Which, again, is the Count of Tiberias. Your brother holds no land in the duchy, so has no claim under this law.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Patrician Taimur d'Cathay of the Red Sea Republic

I will propose more later but I just wanted to say that I found one thing I like about Jerusalem... the geese.

These little guys are everywhere. Waddling around the Cour chamber. Harassing people in the Crusader market. It's great.

I'd like to propose a Directive: The mighty goose be made the official animal of Jerusalem.

Not sure why we aren't putting these little guys on our money.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Ah, but it is not within your prerogative! Cour Cohesion Commitment, third clause.

"If the monarch holds more counties than their demense limit allows, they must hand out those duchies until they have reached their demense limit, prioritizing handing out counties to characters who would have those counties in their de-jure demense. If none are available, they will hand them out via the APA. If the monarch holds more than two ducal titles, they must grant such excessive titles to count-level vassals under that title. Should they hold any counties under the granted titles, they must also pass control of those counties to the newly assigned Duke or Duchess."

Which, again, is the Count of Tiberias. Your brother holds no land in the duchy, so has no claim under this law.

Hmm. Ya got me there, tho' I gotta say thanks for pointin' out an issue with tha CCC - that first line doesn't make any sense!

As fer the ducal part, I think plenty of us at this point don't really wanna have to hand out our titles to any ol' count on election, considerin' the law that's based off of is from when Jerusalem was much smaller. And look at me. Jerusalem thinks big! So!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to propose an amendment to the Cour Cohesion Commitment, third clause, to have it read as follows (changes in bold):

If the monarch holds more counties than their demense limit allows, they must hand out those counties until they have reached their demense limit, prioritizing handing out counties to characters who would have those counties in their de-jure demense. If none are available, they will hand them out via the APA. If the monarch holds more than three ducal titles, they must grant such excessive titles to count-level vassals under that title. Should they hold any counties under the granted titles, they must also pass control of those counties to the newly assigned Duke or Duchess.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for the other thin', well, hmm....

Ogier reclines in thought.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 19, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Bernart and Parviz head to the podium, a clam guard follows pulling a large wheeled box.

Parviz: Before her untimely death, Konstantzia laid out the plans for a truly amazing device. We all make uce of larders, but they must always be undergound, and are entirely immobile. Using info gained from the House of Wisdom she was able to design a portable larder, truly an amazing device. Imagine being able to transport cold goods and meats over long distances without it spoiling in as quick a time. Finest ice from the Oresund brought to our lands. Imagine it, plentiful ice in Jerusalem! We will make it snow here! We think this device will be the most revolutionary one we have ever brought forth. The name Thermidor will forever be associated with devices design to keep things cold!

Bernart nudges Parviz. Parviz groans and produces a bag of strange powder.

While we were there Bernart found a recipe for a preservent the Romans used called Sugar of Lead. It will apparently keep food from spoiling and make it sweet as well. We'll probably begin using it in our shops and products soon enough.

Beyond that, we would like to present the Emperor-Preferant with a Portable Larder of his own to use, that and something else we have provided in the past. We can all see it your Majesty, you are not in the best of shape. Beer gut, double chin, lanky arms, saggy skin, you are a mess. That is why we, the Thermidors, propose as a directive: The Emperor go on the Thermidor Diet, as well as anyone else who wishes to improve their figure. Anyone who signs up get's a free portable larder!

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 19, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Bernart performs a rude flourish. Parviz groans once more.

Oh yes, Bernart is displeased he was passed up last time. He again asks that Bernart Thermidor (Not Bernart Egge-Thermidor) be made Jester and perform for the Emperor-Preferant and his guests.

Bernart licks a line of Sugar of Lead off of his finger. His eye's go wide and he juggles 13 balls. Even Parviz is impressed by this act.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 19, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I hereby promise the Independence Promotion Act
-At least one policy, directive or law proposed by independent members of the Court must pass in each session
-A proposal by independent members of the Court can be stopped from automatic passage by 55% nay votes by active members in the session

Down with parties, down with tyranny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The proposed changes are wise, your Majesty, but we are beholden to the laws we and our predecessors have written, rather than the laws we have not yet scribed. So, to honour your rightful place and the great legal work of our predecessors, I propose The Rightful Things for the Rightful Emperor Act:

In accordance with the laws of Jerusalem and as proof of our Emperor's magnanimous nature, the Duchy of Galilee is to be restored to the Count of Tiberias, as they both have claim to it and own land in the Duchy, fulfilling all our laws.

In accordance with the laws of Jerusalem and to glorify our Emperor's majesty, the finest set of crown jewels are to be made at the earliest opportunity to serve as the regalia of the Dominion.

In accordance with the laws of Jerusalem and to proclaim our Emperor-Preferent as the rightful ruler in the eyes of God and men, a lavish coronation suitable for the duly-elected supreme monarch will be held, as magnificent as can be afforded, to be followed by the traditional celebrations.