Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Four votes for The Serpent's Head Act

Aye on the Council Position Directives and the Masquerade and Monument Directives, Nay on all others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

My 4 votes to the Head of the Serpent Act. These war has been going for too long. We better win it fast or concede. Regarding the directives:

Appoint Wali-Emir Taimur as Trade Liaison - Aye
Supply the Trade Liaison with his needs - Aye
Masquerade Directive - Nay
Appoint Doge Rolf as Steward - Aye
Monument for Queen Cristin - Aye
Advance Majesty Technology - Nay
Appoint Prince Mathieu as Spymaster - Aye
Send Chancellor to Improve Relations with vassals with most troops - Nay
Send Spymaster to Scheme - Nay
Appoint the Knights of Solitude as protectors of the Haute Cour, for 10 years - Nay

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

SESSION IS CLOSED, VOTE COUNT SOON

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.
I switch my all my votes to The Serpent Act

In addition, I vote Nay on the Monument, Majesty tech, and Spymaster Scheming Directives.

Whelp.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Gigagar posted:

I switch my all my votes to The Serpent Act

In addition, I vote Nay on the Monument, Majesty tech, and Spymaster Scheming Directives.

Ignore this man, he is crazy. shabibid is rolled up in a rug and carried out of the cour.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session of 1200 is closed!:siren:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Final Vote Count for the Session of 1200

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 15, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session of 1200 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

No items have reached the 1/3rd or 2/3rds opposition limit.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 15, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1200

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 15, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Joining JIP

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1195

* Give gifts to the Princes of Aswan-Damascus and Arabia Petrae, distribute minor titles as follows

* Add a feature to the House of Groves, the Crusader's Way Market Center and Food Court (10 years)

* Acquire a full set of crown jewels, upgrade the House of Groves (10 years)

* End the war as swiftly as possible by occupying Rome, if this fails or the popes die then seek an armistice

* Appoint Doge Rolf as Steward

* Appoint Wali-Emir Taimur as Trade Liaison

* Appoint Prince Mathieu as Spymaster

* Supply the Trade Liaison with his requests

* Provide everyone at court and army with a plague mask

Chapter 21– Mongol – 1200 to 1205

Honorius lays dead, having hung himself by the neck after witnessing the massacre of thousands of his countrymen. Urbanus is in retreat, his forces ambushed and crushed in Anatolia. Caelestinus looms over Jerusalem, poised to reunite Christendom in his image.

The War of Three Popes is at its height, but for better or worse, this will be decided in the months to come.

In Jerusalem, the quinquennial session of the Haute Cour was centered on alleviating the risk of civil war, with significant bribes and honorary titles issued to powerful lords of the realm.

That was enough to placate any potential rebels, for now. The bigger issue was the army, or lack thereof. After being abandoned by their commander and ambushed in Anatolia, we were left with about 6000 levies and mercenaries… against almost 20,000 enemy troops, at least.

Still, there was a war on, so large loans were taken from the Nile Republic, Knights Templar and Jewish community to cover the raising of more mercenaries.

The Knights Templar only forked the gold over in exchange for a castle near Jerusalem, whilst the merchants and Jews were content with being repaid in interest and promises.

That was a problem for another time, however. The gold was immediately spent in recruiting the Bulgar Company, which joined forces with the surviving levies, Mamluks and PPP mercenaries at Beirut… and, after a year of recovery and rest, our strength numbered at around 14,500 soldiers.

We weren’t beaten just yet.

Still, the mad pope had more money and more men, quickly retaking vast swathes of Anatolia and bearing down on Jerusalem from the north.

But he couldn’t be challenged head-on, not yet. So, acting on orders from the Haute Cour, the new commander of the army – Pilgrim Guide Guilhem – instead decided on a bold, risky strategy…

To shuttle his army onto 300 ships, row against the storms plaguing the Mediterranean, maneuver through the straits of Messina…

And besiege Rome herself.

Surrounded and besieged, the Eternal City managed to withstand assaults and raids for weeks and months, with the siege stretching across a year unbroken…

But finally, as an unforgiving winter was followed by an unusually warm summer, the garrison surrendered. Rome was ours.

…for about a month, as in the last days of the summer of 1203, Pope Caelestinus finally arrived.

And there, outside the walls of the holy city, Jerusalem met Rome…

And somehow, the mad pope coordinated a stunning maneuver and shattered our formation, routing our forces and massacring anyone who wasn’t fleeing. We were defeated, again.

This was bad, very bad. To the troops, such a disastrous defeat at the very doorstep of Rome could only mean that God wasn’t on their side, and as they fled to the defensible hills to the north, they mutinied and murdered their own commander.

In the midst of the chaos and infighting that followed, the Grandmaster of the Knights of Krete arrived with reinforcements. Having just won a personal war against the Turks, Grandmaster Ildey was a respected and feared commander, and quickly took control of the situation. Their fortunes, our fortunes, now rested on his shoulders.

Separated from Jerusalem by a sea, it was down to Ildey to decide whether to concede defeat and flee, or stand his ground and risk everything…

He chose the latter, and when the mad pope finally marched from Rome to destroy what was left of the enemy, he was ready.

The fighting was dogged and bloody, stretching across the rugged hills around Rome and claiming thousands of lives… but, as dusk approached, Ildey led a charge of knights and cavalry that crunched into the guard surrounding Pope Caelestinus, and as their commander dug his heels into his mount and sped from the battlefield, his troops dropped their weapons and did the same.

We were victorious.

Rome quickly followed, and after capitulating twice in the space of a few days, she was in no shape for yet another siege. The Eternal City opened her gates to Jerusalem, and after a vicious sacking, the mad pope was found and clapped in chains.

And with that, at long last, the War of Three Popes was over.

Grandmaster Ildey departed Rome a few weeks later, and as hundreds of ships took to sea, a new Pope was left to rule Rome – Pope Urbanus, whose first proclamation was to dissolve the Latin Empire, absolve the nobility of Jerusalem of any excommunications, and try Caelestinus for his crimes against Christendom.

Obviously, almost none of this reached me. Not for months and years, at least. No, I spent that time locked up in Jerusalem, gates shut whilst smallpox and consumption and God knows what else ravaged the countryside.

And, um, let’s just say that quite a bit happened.

Putting my new diet aside, I even enjoyed a dalliance or two. I’d always thought that princess of Aleppo was a bit of a minx, and with my wife, um, confined to her beds… well, I thought we might have something.

That is, until I found out she was sleeping with pretty much everyone at court.

She was probably just part of some scheme or plot, Jerusalem was as infested as ever.

But finally, as the cold frost of winter arrived, the rampant disease finally retreated. On the eve of 1205, the gates of Jerusalem were finally reopened, bringing a sudden flood of merchants and peasants and victories and defeats and everything in between.

I found out that some thought me craven for ‘hiding’, as they put it, behind the fortified walls of Jerusalem for the better part of four years.

But there were others who thought me wise, instead, and they were obviously in the right.

As usual, my vassals had been busy waging wars, struggling for land and religion in Denmark, Greece, Mesopotamia and Arabia and even India.

All of that was trifling, however, compared to what had transpired in Germany, in Europe.

Whilst we were sailing across the Mediterranean, the Mongols had outwitted and destroyed most of the crusaders somewhere in the Russian forests, ending the Teutonic invasion in brutal fashion.

But the Great Khan Tolui, son of Genghis Khan, wasn’t done just yet. Enraged by the murder of his envoys and maddened by the Teutonic invasion, Tolui vowed to lead his horde into Europe and halt only when he reached the ocean, burning and raping and pillaging as he marched…

And while we were fighting outside the walls of Rome, well, he did just that.

Cologne was destroyed. Venice was fired. Paris was ravaged. All the greatest cities of Europe, they were… devastated. The Mongol Horde was invulnerable, merciless, remorseless, and by the dying days of 1204, they had reached the shores of the Atlantic.

Tolui died a few hours after being informed of his final victory, leaving an empire that stretches from ocean to ocean to his brother, Chanai.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Casualties will be up whenever I can get to it, so probably in a few hours.

Also, Clayren's art was dope so I included that

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well drat

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BLOOD!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The young Eneko makes his way to the dias of the cour. This is the first time he has said anything at the cour, as before he has only been a part of the Thermidor block.

Members of the Cour, today we celebrate our victory. Victory against who you may ask? The pope, former Pope to be exact. We just went to war with the catholic voice of god. And what did we get from this you may ask? We installed a different Pope, one who used to be under us, but is now of on his own controlling the same stretch of land the previous Pope held. Did we get any money from this? No. Did we lose thousands of men during trying times? Yes. Is disease wracking our lands? Yes. And even beyond it all, because of the Rift among the three great powers of Catholicism by the Ecumenical Council we proposed the greatest bastion against the terrifying Mongol Horde, The HRE, has been wiped out to the last. The Mongols now control all of Central Europe, cutting us of from the Varangians routes used to reach the Oresund repulbic. And the Mongols never stop, they will keep eating. If this is something to celebrate, then keep celebrating.

The Mercator Dei have been around for a long time. They have tried there best to keep this Kingdom funded and to expand the role of merchants in it. But we have also played a key part in keeping the kingdom together and making it a better place. Sometimes we have made mistakes, and often we have been persuaded to change our minds, for it is we who know how deals are made. But viewing the last few sessions and seeing large factions lead the whole of Europe and Catholicism to ruin with little more than meeting, and then the largest faction not even bothering to get their members to make votes at some of the most important junctures in our times? The Mercators cannot continue to let this abide. We will strike out in a new fashion, for it is we who push forth the most with votes and actions from our members, and even when we were small we still held great sway through clever action. But now, now is the time of the Great Re-Branding. The Mercator Dei will be abolished abd replaced with:

A Gilded Tomorrow

The name translates in many ways between many different languages, so all members are free use there own interpretation when using the name. Just be sure to use the right logo.

Our Tenets will be thus:
-We will continue to push forth the importance and skilled used of merchants, as well as make use of JEWEL and it's members.
-We will continue to work on the economy of Jerusalem, and push forth/fund various methods to improve it.
-We will push for the furthest of innovations. The merchant families urge to make the next big money maker also leads the greatest of inventions being funded. We will strive ever further to create the greatest of products to make us the strongest of kingdoms.
-We will take up the mantle of tolerance, both of religion and culture. The Three Republics consist of many different people of different backgrounds, and we persist. For Example, I am a Sunni, while the Nile Thermidor is a Catholic, and who knows what the Egge-Thermidors of the north even are? We will support all cultures and faiths, and push for their protection. We take this mantle as the faction that once pushed for tolerance has gone mad. Someone must protect the peoples of this land.
-We will not shy from war though, as the Mongols and other threats are still out there. We will pull our means together weh ntrying times are about.

You've eaten a Thermidor Meal, you've used a Mersir Dagger, you've ridden a Zahum camel, you've sit on a Shabibid rug, you've "made use" of a Kolzum throne. Now come and join us, make your own future, as well as a future for all of Jerusalem. Make a Gilded Tomorrow.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Only dead characters have been updated, but I'll be mostly free tomorrow, so let me know if you want your character sheet updated and I'll get them up.

Casualties:

- Floris, Prince of Antioch, succeeded by Princess Willemine.
- Juicael, Prince of Mudar, succeeded by Princess Cristen.
- Yahya, Prince of India, succeeded by Prince Hakam.
- Diogo, Count of Az-Zarqa, succeeded by Count Martim.
- Aimery, Doge of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Simon.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

Also, here's a quick look at our borders, since we've expanded a little -

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Count Martim will honor his father and join JIP!.

Also, RIP western christianity.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Do old Mercator Dei characters have to specifically say if they're going to stay with Gilded Tomorrow?

Because if so, I am.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"I too shall remain part of Yfory Goreuro, the Gilded Tomorrow."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Princess Willemine will be independent.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

The Regency Council of Patrician Simon of Merchant House Konopka

On behalf of House Konopka and the young Patrician Simon, we assembled family and councilors have decided that the wisest course of action is to pledge support to the Gilded Tomorrow party.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I, Michael ben Asher as well as the merchant family of ben Asher, align ourselves with מוזהב מחר, or in the common tongue The Gilded Tomorrow

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Could I get an update on my Patrician?

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

Let's make this quick shall we, I'm hosting that ben Asher fellow for dinner later tonight in the food court. As you know, me and my family have been a stalwart part of the merchantry for decades, and have continued to advance their interests since. However, my late brother and I have felt like there was something... missing. Both in the party and in the Kingdom. Arabia and the Hejaz has been a part of this kingdom for half a century, and yet we are considered a cultural backwater by the rest of the Kingdom! The Shabibids shall not let this pass.

I, Imamaddin Shabibid, now knowing long my name should be, am joining in with "الغد المطلي بالذهب" or, roughly translating, The Gilded Tomorrow.

Gigagar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 22, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Aha Mersir, now teen detective and Head of both House Mersir and the Clue Kids, returns to the podium.

House Mersir has made a great profit the last several years as the world burned. It troubles me, if not my accounts, to say that Khans need knives and swords the same as anyone else. But for the sake of our continued survival we must consider the state of the world. Our war over control of Christendom might lead to the end of Christendom, and our future will require a drastic evaluation of how we carry on. And how have our parties used the last few years? The PRC have run as a paper tiger, using a handful of mighty dukes to sway control of the entire Haute Cour while our people die of disease, while the Illuminated and ECO have distracted themselves with petty squabbles and fights over fancy hats.

I agree with Eneko that a change is needed. House Mersir pledges to ⲉⲣⲉⲣϣⲁⲩ, also known as Gilded Tomorrow

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Lords of Kolzum stay with Gilded Tomorrow. Our company shall truly prosper under their policies of merchantry and tolerance. Carpe Aurum!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I am not joining Gilded Tomorrow but I welcome the entry of this grand new party. By combining our efforts, our army might finally be able to break into the hollow earth to do battle with Satan and his servant Genghis Khan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Prince of India remains with the Illuminated.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
There seem to be some revolts afoot

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also can we get some intel on Chani, the new Great Khan?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

Also can we get some intel on Chani, the new Great Khan?

I was mistaken, he's actually another son of Genghis (who outlived pretty much all of his kids, save for a couple). Before becoming Great Khan he was part of the Kshatriya caste.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

Could I get an update on my Patrician?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The young Eneko makes his way to the dias of the cour. This is the first time he has said anything at the cour, as before he has only been a part of the Thermidor block.

Members of the Cour, today we celebrate our victory. Victory against who you may ask? The pope, former Pope to be exact. We just went to war with the catholic voice of god. And what did we get from this you may ask? We installed a different Pope, one who used to be under us, but is now of on his own controlling the same stretch of land the previous Pope held. Did we get any money from this? No. Did we lose thousands of men during trying times? Yes. Is disease wracking our lands? Yes. And even beyond it all, because of the Rift among the three great powers of Catholicism by the Ecumenical Council we proposed the greatest bastion against the terrifying Mongol Horde, The HRE, has been wiped out to the last. The Mongols now control all of Central Europe, cutting us of from the Varangians routes used to reach the Oresund repulbic. And the Mongols never stop, they will keep eating. If this is something to celebrate, then keep celebrating.

The Mercator Dei have been around for a long time. They have tried there best to keep this Kingdom funded and to expand the role of merchants in it. But we have also played a key part in keeping the kingdom together and making it a better place. Sometimes we have made mistakes, and often we have been persuaded to change our minds, for it is we who know how deals are made. But viewing the last few sessions and seeing large factions lead the whole of Europe and Catholicism to ruin with little more than meeting, and then the largest faction not even bothering to get their members to make votes at some of the most important junctures in our times? The Mercators cannot continue to let this abide. We will strike out in a new fashion, for it is we who push forth the most with votes and actions from our members, and even when we were small we still held great sway through clever action. But now, now is the time of the Great Re-Branding. The Mercator Dei will be abolished abd replaced with:

A Gilded Tomorrow

The name translates in many ways between many different languages, so all members are free use there own interpretation when using the name. Just be sure to use the right logo.

Our Tenets will be thus:
-We will continue to push forth the importance and skilled used of merchants, as well as make use of JEWEL and it's members.
-We will continue to work on the economy of Jerusalem, and push forth/fund various methods to improve it.
-We will push for the furthest of innovations. The merchant families urge to make the next big money maker also leads the greatest of inventions being funded. We will strive ever further to create the greatest of products to make us the strongest of kingdoms.
-We will take up the mantle of tolerance, both of religion and culture. The Three Republics consist of many different people of different backgrounds, and we persist. For Example, I am a Sunni, while the Nile Thermidor is a Catholic, and who knows what the Egge-Thermidors of the north even are? We will support all cultures and faiths, and push for their protection. We take this mantle as the faction that once pushed for tolerance has gone mad. Someone must protect the peoples of this land.
-We will not shy from war though, as the Mongols and other threats are still out there. We will pull our means together weh ntrying times are about.

You've eaten a Thermidor Meal, you've used a Mersir Dagger, you've ridden a Zahum camel, you've sit on a Shabibid rug, you've "made use" of a Kolzum throne. Now come and join us, make your own future, as well as a future for all of Jerusalem. Make a Gilded Tomorrow.

Wali-Emir Taimur will join the Gilded Tomorrow for a better future for all, Allah willing.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Faction Tally leading to the 1205 Session

A Gilded Tomorrow (Economy/Merchantry/Innovation, Tolerance)

Leader: Doge-Steward Rolf (Ralepozozaxe)
Members: Caradog Cynwrig (megane), Countess Adeliza (Technowolf), Michael ben Asher (Hattie Masters), Count Julien (Slaan), Wali-Emir-Liaison Taimur (WilliamAnderson), Wali-Patrician Imamamaddin (Gigagar), Count Czyrzniech (Thordain), Patrician Simon (Clayren), Prince Hakam (Rody One Half)
# of members/votes: 10 members, 31 votes

Pro Regno et Civitate (Internal Realm Cohesion & Development)

Leader: Prince Edvard (Pacho)
Members: Prince Humbert (Flavius Aetass), Count Louis (Luhood), Prince Centule (Freudian), Captain-Advisor Haroun (Kangxi), Patrician Mikail (Grizzwold), Prince Érrard (Erwin the German), Prince-Spymaster Mathieu (Mirdini)
# of members/votes: 8 members, 31 votes

Ecumenical Crusaders of Outremer (Expansionism & Military Spending)

Leader: Prince Richard (AJ_Impy)
Members: Princess Garcenda (Lord Cyrahzax), Prince Barthelemi (Captain Mediocre), Count Josselin (HiHoChiRho), Count Bernat (Jossar)
# of members/votes: 5 members, 18 votes

The Illuminated (Imperial Illuminati + General Tolerance)

Leader: Count Fan (QuoProQuid)
Members: Princess Beila (Xelkelvos), Princess Radiya (Angstrom Gothington), Prince Margos (Flesnolk)
# of members/votes: 4 members, 15 votes

Jerusalem Independence Party (Anti-China, Imperial Jerusalem)

Acting Leader: Princely Grandmaster-Chancellor Ildey (Top Hats Monthly)
Members: Prince-Marshal Jaspert (TheFlyingLlama), Count Martim (Frionnel)
# of members/votes: 3 members, 15 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: King Archambaud (i81icu812), Prince Fursu (sheep-dodger), Prince Simon (Obliterati), Prince-Regent-Designate Mushel (Yavuz), Countess Stephani (Snipee), Countess Peronelle (CapFalcon), Count Sigismond (Soup du Jour), Wali-Patrician Mukhtar (mcclay), Prince Victor (Vinny Possum), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebos), Jovani Giaguro (JT Jag), Bogdan Ryba (fish and chips and dip), Count Mohammed (habeasdorkus), Princess Willemine (Pakled), Princess Cristen (Zikan)
# of members/votes: 17 members, 50 votes

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 25, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Vassal maps for Jerusalem and Mongols were requested -

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can I see how Prince Richard is doing?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

AJ_Impy posted:

Can I see how Prince Richard is doing?

Sure -

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Melikah family withdraws the previous Illuminated allegiance and places their 5 votes with the merchants!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 23, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So a heads up, there have been requests for a couple mods to be incorporated, including Republic Equality, which would add gender laws to Merchant Republics. I've gone ahead and incorporated it, since there's no reason not to, but the relevent laws will have to be passed by the MRs before they take effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also, :siren:the legislative session will be opening tomorrow:siren:, as I'll be busy tonight.