Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just got an MX4SIO working on my slim ps2. It's nice to have a quick method for loading a game without getting into the hard drive.

It also got me to update OPL for the first time in a few years and that's always fun. Had to re-remember how to do... everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just got a PS2 slim and need some help figuring out how to get it to display right on my HDTV

I got this Hyperkin cable since I'm cheap and I don't want to deal with finding, buying, and transporting a CRT TV.

Set it up right, plugged into the PS2/TV/Power source. When I turn on the PS2 my TV says "please change source resolution" and from what I've googled that means switching it from RGB to YPbPr. I follow the steps to do this without a video signal and nothing happens. Tried it with the Hyperkin cable set to either resolution and neither worked.

So I figure maybe the PS2 needs to be set up for the first time? I bought it from a modder so maybe he somehow reset the PS2 and I have to blast through the initial set up. So with no video display I reset the console and hit X every few seconds. I reset the console and bam, I get the PS2 startup screen. The little orbs aren't spinning so maybe the internal battery died?

Anyways I put in a DVD to test it and everything's green. Weird. I reset the PS2 to take out the disk and now it won't display again. But curious, I repeated the "pressing x every few seconds" thing and reset the system again, and I have display again.

What the gently caress am I doing wrong, I clearly have no idea what I'm doing and need help lol

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 17, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It looks like the hyperkin cable is producing a signal your television won't accept. Have you tried a different screen to verify if it's an incompatibility there?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, I'm guessing the repeated "supports 720p resolution" in the product description means that's what the Hyperkin is outputting, since the PS2 itself rarely operates in that resolution. Can your TV do 720p? If not (maybe it's been phased out on some newer TVs?), you'll need to find something that can output 1080p like a RetroTINK 5X.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

So I tried it on another TV and it booted with video right away! But the menu was still green. I switched the PS2 to RGB and that brought the color back, hooray! But then I tested it out with a movie and everything goes back to green as soon as the DVD starts playing.

I bought the Hyperkin without reading too closely, thinking it was just another option like some from this video. If it's the Hyperkin then would one of these work or am I really gonna have to buy a Retrotink? Sorry for the dumb questions I just want to play Tony Hawk and Rockband lol

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Punkinhead posted:

I bought the Hyperkin without reading too closely, thinking it was just another option like some from this video. If it's the Hyperkin then would one of these work or am I really gonna have to buy a Retrotink? Sorry for the dumb questions I just want to play Tony Hawk and Rockband lol

Nah, it's not your fault, there's about a hundred different PS2-HDMI adapters out there and they're all built on pretty much the same internals. I think Hyperkin is even one of the better rated ones? Either way, they're all roughly equal in terms of performance. Unfortunately, if you want to get the "best" HDMI experience with original hardware, you do have to get one of the expensive scalers.

Your options are the Retrotink (expensive indie darling) the OSSC (expensive and fiddly) or a GBS-C (cheap and fiddly). Personally, I couldn't justify the price tag of the RT or the OSSC so I built my own GBS-C, but there are pre-built ones floating around that are still fairly competitively priced.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I recently set up a GBS-C using this dsub adapter for video output:

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnetics/playbaby-dsub-rgb240p480p-adapter-playstation/

This guy also sells his own GBS-C build but it's out of stock at the moment:

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnetics/modified-gbs8200-rgb-to-vga-converter/

Including shipping that's about $200 I think.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Switched TVs again and it works!

DVDs still only output 100% green images but games are working just fine.

Can't wait to play San Andreas with the proper soundtrack again :)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Green output is because you're using an RGB cable. DVD don't support that for some reason, only composite.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bone emulator posted:

Green output is because you're using an RGB cable. DVD don't support that for some reason, only composite.

And S-Video!

probably

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

bone emulator posted:

Yeah this was ultimately it. First TV still doesn't work with it but ah well.

Been playing Dark Cloud and GTA 3, PS2 ftw

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

bone emulator posted:

No, it works on component, too, but the DVD output will always be YPbPr regardless of whether the PS2 is set to that or RGB for games.... which is why it just comes through as green with an RGB setup.

S-Video will work fine, because the PS2 is in the same kind of output mode as composite, - just with the luma and chroma on separate channels, resulting in a cleaner signal than the Single Yellow Plug which... composites everything into one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is it worth it, and/or easy, to convert a game from a cue and multiple bin files into an ISO?

If so, what's the best way to do so?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Winbin2iso rarely does me wrong. The main reason to do ISOs is that, I believe, it's the only format OPL will work with.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Winbin2ISO is also what I use. It's super easy.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was also wondering this, wanted to play some Smugglers Run

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Winbin2ISO is also what I use. It's super easy.

I tried this, but the game has like three BIN files and the program only let's you select one.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There are a few different programs to combine multiple BIN files into one, like CDFix and BinMerge - here's a thread with links to both.

Amassing a huge collection of programs to rejigger your files is just part of the PS2 homebrew/:yarr: process. And when in doubt, just download the game as an ISO from somewhere else, or find a way to rip it yourself if you have a physical copy and a computer with an optical drive. (Other threads have made it seem like these are vanishingly rare nowadays.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I definitely have a folder called "Console Tools" on my desktop and the PS2 folder is by far the most populous.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah I definitely have a folder called "Console Tools" on my desktop and the PS2 folder is by far the most populous.

Okay, I got know what console tools you got here, PS2 primarily but the others too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
and how many of them are from Aldo Vargas

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Punkinhead posted:

Yeah this was ultimately it. First TV still doesn't work with it but ah well.

Been playing Dark Cloud and GTA 3, PS2 ftw

There is a hacked dvd firmware for the PS2 that will let you play DVDs over RGB.

Google '3.11J_PROGRESSIVE3_FINAL.7z'

Chat from earlier in the thread

bone emulator posted:

Well, this fixed the DVD player issue. Had to follow some machine translated instructions in a pdf from some weird forum, but I eventually got there.

Too bad the only DVDs I didn't throw away were the Simpsons boxsets and the Matrix

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Time Crisis 2 is quickly becoming one of my favorite PS2 games. I actually have everything I need to do a system link game except for someone who would play it with me.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Anyone using the 1.2.0 beta of OPL with a mx4iso slim ps2 setup? I'm able to see games but any game I try to run ends up stuck on loading config.

Edit - I was using a wrong version of OPL, problem solved

LtDan fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 7, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am watching someone on Twitch play Radiata Stories, and I am a huge fan of the punch/kick actions and how they interact with the world. This sort of player agency is always very welcomed. I need to play this game myself now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I said come in! posted:

I am watching someone on Twitch play Radiata Stories, and I am a huge fan of the punch/kick actions and how they interact with the world. This sort of player agency is always very welcomed. I need to play this game myself now.

Oh hey, there's an undub! Hmm....

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I got a steam deck and it's really great at ps2 emulation.

Have there been any interesting romhacks or translations of ps2 games? I grabbed a whole set of armored Core with analog controls. And the shadow tower english translation.

(also open to Ps1 as well)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's been a few recently for ps2

Boku no Natsuyasumi 2, Tales of Destiny DC, Growlanser 6, JoJo Phantom Blood, Super Robot Wars Original Generations, Dog of Bay, Zill ol Infinite

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For PS1, in 2021 they translated Racing Lagoon. It's a racing rpg released by square in the 90's.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pcengineanthology/playstation-2-anthology

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hey, where'd a bunch of my money go? It was just here a moment ago, and then I clicked the link and blacked out for a moment... :retrogames:.

(Got the 4-volume hardcover set, and tacked on the Gamecube book as well :shepspends:)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, where'd a bunch of my money go? It was just here a moment ago, and then I clicked the link and blacked out for a moment... :retrogames:.

(Got the 4-volume hardcover set, and tacked on the Gamecube book as well :shepspends:)

I promise they're legit, and have all of their prior books and they all rule.

This is probably the msot comprehensive set we'll get on the ps2 given how long it lived and how many games it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I promise they're legit, and have all of their prior books and they all rule.

This is probably the msot comprehensive set we'll get on the ps2 given how long it lived and how many games it got.

This is good to know that they have released other books and kickstarters successfully.