Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I got myself a little 7inch touchscreen to use on my single board computer for SMB. Sits in the entertainment center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Verbatims. They should be good.

yup, thems the ones!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just a couple weeks ago I replaced my PS2 laser, now it works like a charm (although PS1 games take a little longer to read in the browser but once they do they work great)

Actually have a PS1 question - I found a SCHP-1001 at a thrift store a while back (the launch model with RCA jacks) and it doesn’t read games. The motor doesn’t seem to spin the disc at all, I know the early models can develop those problems over time. I should still be able to get an ODE like xStation installed right? I’d like to be able to use the console for something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Per the listing for the xstation on Castlemania Games, an SCPH-100x model is compatible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Per the listing for the xstation on Castlemania Games, an SCPH-100x model is compatible.

Yeah model-wise I should be fine, but I’m just wondering if it’ll work even if the motor or laser or whatever is busted. I don’t see why not but I’m paranoid lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh yeah it should still work. The whole laser assembly gets removed anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just tried hex editing games to force 240P output and it works so beautifully with KOF XI and Metal Slug 6 where the old sprites are blown up on top of 480i backgrounds. Now they're visually cohesive for the first time in my life (well, MS6's backgrounds still don't fit the sprites artstyle-wise, but at least they're now the same res.)

Unfortunately it doesn't work with MvC2 and CvS2.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should upload them

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Or document the process. That would be useful.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just tried hex editing games to force 240P output and it works so beautifully with KOF XI and Metal Slug 6 where the old sprites are blown up on top of 480i backgrounds. Now they're visually cohesive for the first time in my life (well, MS6's backgrounds still don't fit the sprites artstyle-wise, but at least they're now the same res.)

Unfortunately it doesn't work with MvC2 and CvS2.

That sounds awesome. The main reason I haven't played that game is because the low-res sprites with the high-res background/UI looks so lovely.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Or document the process. That would be useful.

It's pretty simple. Here's a guide with the hex addresses to change.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61532

Some close ups with Retrotink scanlines.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 5, 2021

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

PS2 Network Adapter SATA Upgrade Kit for Official Adaptor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7R3XDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VZSF1WDMJ30JZXZENRNH

Something like this will do it. The conversion takes ten minutes and only requires a screwdriver.

When I look this up on Ebay they all seem to be purple Bitfunx boards with V1.0 printed on them. On AliExpress there's a V2.0 board: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32809586287.html. Who knows what the difference is. It seems there are ebayers that sell pre-modified Network Adapters, but who knows what model board is inside them.

I have a Slim and load over the network, but it wasn't as cool as I hoped because it chokes if you have a huge PS2 library. If I have to curate what games I put on there I may as well put it on an HDD, so maybe I'll find a cheap Fat PS2 with a broken drive or something and switch to HDD.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
worth pointing out that there is a VERY recently released fork of uLaunchElf with support for SMB2/3 connections

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/smblaunchelf.32434/

I haven't tried it but it seems promising

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ooh, that is good news

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Just dropping by to flex real quick

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

After eight (!) years, I'm finally upgrading my OPL setup. I have a lot more space to play with now than I did in 2013, so I'm finally indulging in PS2 oddities. One thing I've always been curious about is the Simple 2000 series. I know there are a lot of them; which ones are (relatively, I have a lot of patience for "crap but interesting") good and playable for someone who reads no Japanese?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pastry of the Year posted:

After eight (!) years, I'm finally upgrading my OPL setup. I have a lot more space to play with now than I did in 2013, so I'm finally indulging in PS2 oddities. One thing I've always been curious about is the Simple 2000 series. I know there are a lot of them; which ones are (relatively, I have a lot of patience for "crap but interesting") good and playable for someone who reads no Japanese?

Fellow Goon Selenic Martian has a playthrough of a number of them on their youtube channel tldw; looks like all of them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Fellow Goon Selenic Martian has a playthrough of a number of them on their youtube channel tldw; looks like all of them.

Oh dang, thank you. Just at a glance, this fellow gets Respect++ for covering in detail both of the Metropolismania games. I adore those janky-rear end messes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obviously, you need the giant bikini girl game. Actually, it's really bad and a bit too creepy to be amusing.

Speaking of bikinis, the Onechanbara series got its start as budget PS2 games. They're pretty bad, too.

Honestly, I think the PS1 line is more interesting than the PS2 ones, there's more weird hidden sequels in the PS1 stuff...

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Isn't AMBULANCE VS ZOMBIE part of the Simple 2000 line?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Vinesauce Vinny's "PS2 Garbage" streams are almost entirely Simple Series games

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I learned theres a beverly hills cop game on ps2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Starsky and Hutch is a great co op game

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Empress Brosephine posted:

Today I learned theres a beverly hills cop game on ps2

You should do everything in your power to unlearn this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked syarsjy and hitch.

What's worse, this beverly hills cop game or the reservoir dogs game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Bad Boyz II

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I liked syarsjy and hitch.

What's worse, this beverly hills cop game or the reservoir dogs game.

Definitely Bev...

...nevermind this is the correct answer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How about Fight Club featuring playable Fred Durst

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I collect licensed PS2 games based on live-action properties because I enjoy them as trainwreck entertainment. I have one for the third Brendan Frasier Mummy film that I haven't tried yet

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

I collect licensed PS2 games based on live-action properties because I enjoy them as trainwreck entertainment. I have one for the third Brendan Frasier Mummy film that I haven't tried yet

How do you feel about Reign of Fire?

Fake edit: oh god blade II the game exists

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Several Goblins posted:

How do you feel about Reign of Fire?

Never heard of it

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

Never heard of it

2002 box office flop where Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale fight dragons in the post-apocalypse.

They turned it into a car combat game.
https://youtu.be/zYtX-CUidnM

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't the blade 2 game ok?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Starsky and Hutch is a great co op game

You need a light gun for this one, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You need a light gun for this one, right?

You don't need it, but it supports it.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So here's something cool

https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

quote:

This allows the following:

On SCPH-5000X and SCPH-7000x:

Disable disc region checks (ps1 and ps2 discs from all region as well as masterdiscs mount with data accessible)

Change the region the console reports as, as well as change the disc/kelf region that mechacon allows

BOOT original PS2 discs from NTSC-J and NTSC-U regions directly from the OSD (NTSC-J units only)

BOOT original PS2 discs all regions directly from the OSD (NTSC-U and ASIA (non NTSC-J) units only)

BOOT original PS2 discs all regions as well as PS2 Masterdiscs from all region by skipping the logo check (for example by loading a disc using ulaunchelf)

BOOT PS1 disc originals and backups from the console's original region (NTSC-J and PAL consoles)

BOOT PS1 disc originals and backups from all regions (NTSC-U and ASIA (non NTSC-J) units only)

On SCPH-7500X and later models (also known as Deckard consoles)

Disable disc region checks (ps1 and ps2 discs from all region as well as masterdiscs mount with data accessible)

Change the IOP ROM region (the ROM sets a specific bank according to the mechacon region flags)

Change the region the console reports as, as well as change the disc/kelf region that mechacon allows

BOOT original PS2 discs all regions directly from the OSD

BOOT original PS2 discs all regions as well as PS2 Masterdiscs from all region by skipping the logo check (for example by loading a disc using ulaunchelf)

BOOT PS1 disc originals and backups from all regions

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Nice, finally a way to easily play PS1 backups on a PS2. I just installed this on my NTSC-J 90000 Slim and between this, the DVD hack that came out a year ago, and Open PS2 Loader you can do everything now. I picked a good time to sell off my PS1 and PSIO, as I'd much rather use this.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Question for you nerds who know more about electronics than me: I have a PS2 Slim with a dead CR2032 battery that I wanna replace. Unfortunately it's the type that has the battery in a heatshrink plastic sleeve with wires coming out of it, instead of just a bare battery in a recess on the motherboard:

^ That one

I know some models of PS3 use a similar setup for their batteries:

Fat PS3 CMOS battery image

Are those two, like.... compatible? Can I just buy a replacement PS3 CMOS battery and it'll work in my PS2? Or is there some way to take a regular CR2032 and make it work in the PS2 without needing a sheet of heat shrink plastic, a heat gun, a soldering iron, wire strippers, and a million other tools I don't have?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A cr2032-t1 is the battery you want for the PS2, it's a bog-standard part. Part number's right on it too :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I don't know about "bog-standard", I can't find a single seller hawking them on eBay.

Did find one (1) seller on AliExpress that had 'em though, so I guess I'll buy that and then deal with a dead battery for the ~2 months it'll take until they get here (lot of 5 was the minimum quantity, $11 with free shipping :v:)