Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I never played a ps2 gran turismo and put GT4 on my ps2 holy poo poo this looks better than a lot of modern games how on earth did they manage this.

What was even crazier about that game is that it can run at 1080i. I think it just takes a lower resolution and stretches it out but it still looked great. Played it about 10 years ago on a PS2 with component cables on an HDTV and my friend and I were blown away how good it looked compared to current PS3/360 titles at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Correct me if i'm wrong but the motorcycle game they did on PS2 (?) looks even better

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong but the motorcycle game they did on PS2 (?) looks even better

Tourist Trophy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjVb2vd1QTQ

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I literally said "Wait that looks too good for ps2 was it PS3?", Looked it up and it's PS2.

Those wizards.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Just got this set up last night, ridiculous looking but it works! Raspberry Pi 4 running PSX-pi-SMBshare to a FreeMcBoot-ed slim with HDMI adapter. Hooked up to my elgato for streaming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm of two minds between posting JimCarreyBarfing.gif and going "well, that is impressive"

So I'm going with option 3: tag yourself, I'm the random pokecoin on the right

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Aardvark Barber posted:

Just got this set up last night, ridiculous looking but it works! Raspberry Pi 4 running PSX-pi-SMBshare to a FreeMcBoot-ed slim with HDMI adapter. Hooked up to my elgato for streaming.

not so slim now is it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aardvark Barber posted:

oh god

I mean hey, if it works!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I completely forgot this game existed.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Aardvark Barber posted:

lol had a similar setup, had my ps2 slim run to a travel router thing with a usb hdd plugged up and shared through that

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm running a little portable 500GB USB hand-me-down LaCie drive from my photographer dad's pile. I like it because I can power it off the other USB port on the PS2. He also had a 1TB one I would have preferred, but I it had an external power supply that hosed up the picture for some reason.

But I'm very interested in this travel router setup, I'd love to be able to keep using the drive I have, but get faster load times without my previous... unfortunate attempts to network the Slim.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TSK26W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That guy. I powered it off an iPhone charger. It has plug and play samba. I had a 2tb western digital elements drive plugged into it.

https://imgur.com/a/TWJbhc7

That shows what it looks like all hooked up, as well as the OPL config, which can be a little tricky

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Woah Nelly... I've got some poo poo going on where I have to be away from home for indeterminate amounts of time, but that there could be a project for when I know I'm going to stay in one place. Thanks!

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just ordered a MC2SIO to replace that mess of wires and cables I set up a few days ago.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I bought a "non working" PS2 from my local electronics graveyard for 1000yen (10bux?) today, console only, no accessories and borrowed some stuff from a friend to try it out. Turns out it works perfectly which is nice. I just need all the cables and some fancy "homebrew" parts now.

Funnily the same thing happened 10 years ago as well. I got a discounted PS2 deemed "non-working" because it overheated and died after 10 minutes. Turns out the gauze on the case fan had gotten loose and jammed up. Removed the gauze and it worked perfectly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkvqvTpGhP0

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
https://twitter.com/8bitmods/status/1541174745114214401?s=20&t=pWReKhrIKMp6byuBUOct1g

Sony PS2 Memory Card

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Hm hmmm, look at that sexay poo poo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Do the Chinese HDD adapter clones work OK? They seem to get mixed reviews.

I've got an SSD hooked up on USB which is fine for the most part but the FMV stutter is pretty annoying. I have the fat, so the HDD seems like the easiest upgrade, but I'm torn whether to get an original and convert it to SATA (or stick on a cheap IDE-to-SATA) or just go for one of the abundant SATA-ready clones.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
haven't had a problem with my Chinese HDD adapter

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I have a IDE->SATA adapter in my PS2 and it was a little annoying to get installed but I haven't had any trouble at all once it was in there (installed about 4-5 years ago). I used a USB HDD reader to transfer games to it and haven't had to take it out of my PS2 since.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing PS1 games on my PS2 because I couldn't be bothered to unpack the PS1, and for the hell of it bought an RGB SCART cable rather than using AV as I always had. :stare: Why the hell did I not do that decades ago? (Answer: cheapness, probably.) Even on PS1 games, the difference in picture quality is amazing. Might have to retry MGS3 or RE4 without the blurry mud filter.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The last cheap PS2 I bought had a weird issue where it needed about 5-10 minutes to warm up before it started putting out a signal, which was annoying but not a big issue. While looking for a cheap network adapter on Yahoo Auctions though, I found a near perfect condition BB Navigator pack PS2. Console and network adapter only, no controllers, going for 1100 yen because the optical drive is dead. (Possibly fixable but I wasn't planning on using discs anyway)

It arrived today and it's pretty gorgeous. I'm more used to seeing black and silver boxes, but the clear 'Midnight Blue' shell is peak turn of the century design. :swoon: I booted it up and the piddly 40GB HD still works and has the BB Navigator software on it. Naturally, all the servers are long dead but it's still a really interesting glimpse into a lost era of the PS2 that I never knew.

All I need now is my IDE extension cables and I'm ready to go.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've been using a clear blue controller as my main one for years, but I had no idea there was a red counterpart and now I must have it

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

After The War posted:

I've been using a clear blue controller as my main one for years, but I had no idea there was a red counterpart and now I must have it

If I had the money spare, I'd probably collect all the clear controllers and matching memory cards.

After a few difficulties and a dead HDD, I finally got my HDD setup working and enjoyed a wonderful 2 hours of gaming until I forgot to unplug the console before fiddling with the network adapter and have apparently probably blown a fuse. This retro gaming business is hard work... :negative:

Now it's alive again for no discernable reason.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 5, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I took apart my PS2 to give it a cleaning/dusting and the flat cable that attaches the power and eject buttons came loose. I don't particularly want to disassemble the entire thing just to reach the socket, but all my attempts to get it back in with the disk drive still in place have failed, even if I get it aligned with the socket I can't apply enough pressure to get it in. Any suggestions before I bite the bullet on a complete teardown?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I like the HDD setup so much, I ended up buying a bigger drive to fit more games on. Took several hours installing games and fixing all the spelling mistakes, inconsistent punctuations and superfluous details in the game title list (never going with auto-naming from list again, it's just too much of a pain to fix with OPL's teensy text editor) and me and my wife just end up playing the same stupid game every day. :v:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Is there any difference in game compatibility between MC2SIO and an internal drive?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I took apart my PS2 to give it a cleaning/dusting and the flat cable that attaches the power and eject buttons came loose. I don't particularly want to disassemble the entire thing just to reach the socket, but all my attempts to get it back in with the disk drive still in place have failed, even if I get it aligned with the socket I can't apply enough pressure to get it in. Any suggestions before I bite the bullet on a complete teardown?

I did that like 3 times when I was doing my fan replacement mod. If it's a 50001 or something similar, I think I managed to get that done with a pair of ceramic tweezers. Easily one of the worst consoles I've worked on, especially to get the the fuckin' fan connector.

I quit using metal ones when I scratched the traces on a DSi screen ribbon after spending 20 minutes trying to get the drat ribbon cable through the hinge.

After The War posted:

There's also a green one!

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 17, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Brb gonna go summon shenron

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have one of those chinese sata adapters for the hdd in PS2 and it has no network port on it. Now, I'd like to be able to connect to the network to be able to add games and updates and such.
Is there a way to add network support to a fat PS2 without using the official harddrive thing? A compatible usb network interface perhaps?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have one of those chinese sata adapters for the hdd in PS2 and it has no network port on it. Now, I'd like to be able to connect to the network to be able to add games and updates and such.
Is there a way to add network support to a fat PS2 without using the official harddrive thing? A compatible usb network interface perhaps?

Not to my knowledge. As far as I'm aware, only the official network adapters actually have, uh, network adapters in them. I've only ever seen the one type of clone, with a SATA connector but no actual networking.

If you do manage to find an official one, it's possible to buy a replacement PCB for it so it has a SATA interface instead of the IDE one it comes with, though.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Right, I'll probably just get a Slim at this point then. Hopefully they're still as dirt cheap as the last time I looked.
I want to try out using a raspberry pi as a network drive as seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCFbJCPtO8

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Unless you already have a pi, you can buy these little portable routers that do the exact same thing, create a local samba share from a USB device.

I’ve been using one of these on a slim for over a year now:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2(Mango) Portable Mini Travel Wireless Pocket VPN Router - WiFi Router/Access Point/Extender/WDS | OpenWrt | 2 x Ethernet Ports | OpenVPN/Wireguard VPN | USB 2.0 Port | 128MB RAM https://a.co/d/7uYQ4fh

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Automator posted:

Unless you already have a pi, you can buy these little portable routers that do the exact same thing, create a local samba share from a USB device.

I’ve been using one of these on a slim for over a year now:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2(Mango) Portable Mini Travel Wireless Pocket VPN Router - WiFi Router/Access Point/Extender/WDS | OpenWrt | 2 x Ethernet Ports | OpenVPN/Wireguard VPN | USB 2.0 Port | 128MB RAM https://a.co/d/7uYQ4fh

Yeah that! Or pretty much anything with a USB port that will run OpenWRT apparently, in case you have any spare routers in the closet.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It seems to work with a raspberry pi2, which has just been laying in the junk drawer for years, so I'll probably try that first.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Whizzing Wizard posted:

nope, and not even if you use the Linux kit either apparently. network adapter or bust for the PS2

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I thought the ps2 had limited support for usb network adapters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vord posted:

I thought the ps2 had limited support for usb network adapters

Some games did and I assume the driver takes up a bit of space in the IOP heap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

are there any good ps2 games ?
I played most of the big ones back in the day.

Throw some at me I might not have played. I already have Flipnic installed.