Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah you should play bully. Stands with San Andreas imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's more of uhh, not quite a life sim I guess.. Oddly the closest game I can think of is Friends of Ringo Ishikawa

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saying Bully is a GTAlike isn't wrong, but it does miss a lot of the good in the game to reduce it to only that. The setting is much smaller, and because of that much more detailed. Every student at the academy, and all the faculty have names and places and people they'll hang out with. The game changes season, and includes Holiday's like Christmas and Halloween, which really change up how the game looks and feels. As Halloween approaches the game will hang more ornaments and decorations to announce it's arrival, and on the day itself it offers not only a paused timeclock, but also costumes for the students and a series of missions to follow. Winter as well offers a new look for all the students, a changed set of missions for Jobs as well as detention, switching up mowing for snow shoveling. It also offers the ability to have snowball fights, smash snowmen, and even changes the ground physics to represent the ice on the ground.

There's a ton of detail put into every decision around the theming of the game and it's environments. Student's will have fights on the noticeboards between comments, the Principal's secretary will announce comedic snippets over the PA, The cliques will fight with eachother. Or try and pick on you. The Cliques themselves all feel wildly different in themes as well as in their mission lines. The Nerds are the weakest and you warm up to them quickly and gradually increase your influence with them until the leader sees what's happening and tries to stop it. The Prep's look down on Jimmy enough that their storyline is you finding a way to not only beat them, but to do so publicly so their social standing is also damaged. The Greaser's are relatively friendly with you, but the leaders obsessive relationship with his on and off girlfriend, and the constant antagonism between the Greasers and the Preps the latter of which is the gang that Jimmy just instituted himself the head of, causes relations to quickly sour and forces Jimmy to get them to cool their heads. The Jocks meanwhile just need to beaten into submission because their only asset is strength and it's all they respect. And each of these gangs has their own hideouts and area's of town they hang out in. The Preps in their private dorm and the ritzy area's of town. The greasers in the Autobody shop they've turned into a fortress, and in the area of town across the tracks. The nerds in the Library, the Comic Shop, and in the Observatory that houses the Astronomy club Earnest uses as a front for his gang's machinations. And the Jocks in the Football field and Gym.

It's really a world worth exploring, and they were nice enough to give you incentive to do so. There's half as many collectables as their is in SA but in a tenth the area, turning the tedious hunt for items into a fun act of exploration that leads you to out of the way places and cool Easter eggs.

It's also got a hell of a sound track
Absolute 10/10 game, and one of the few I regularly go back and play.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's more of uhh, not quite a life sim I guess.. Oddly the closest game I can think of is Friends of Ringo Ishikawa

Probably the best game in the last ten years that is.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
One thing that Bully had in common with GTA, besides its engine and structural elements, was the way it recreated a certain genre of film - something that basically disappeared after the sixth console generation, sadly. They were "interactive movies" in a way that the dumb FMV games of the previous decade never were. They turned the camera around and allowed the player to explore the exaggerated realities of film worlds. Where GTA III was patterned after the 90s crime film boom on both sides of the Atlantic (and the 70s stylings those films borrowd), Vice City was Michael Mann pastel 80s glitz, and San Andreas was the LA gangtsa movies of the early 90s, Bully was every movie school movie ever made, intentionally obscuring the era and breaking out the different sub-genres into the school's various "cliques." And, as Gaius Marius said, it was incredibly dedicated to its premise, recreating the goofy otherworldiness of these settings in an engaging and totally immersive way.

It also, and this can't be overstated, was incredibly funny, with pitch-perfect voice acting, quoteable dialogue, and just a hint of self-awareness.

The real question is: who was the best romantic interest, and why was it Beatrice?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

worms butthole guy posted:

I usually play PES6 , is 2 better?

PES2 is a nostalgia tittle. PES6 is generally better overall in gameplay but since PES6 on PC works (and you can slap a shitload of mods, patches and visual improvements), and PES6 on the Xbox360 (that I own the physical copy) has native widescreen, I tend to play only PES3 and older on emulation, since I own PES4 onwards on PC. Of course the old rear end PS1 games that I love too.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Every so often the bassline from the overworld theme for Bully floats through my head, unbidden

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason to play the original bully over anniversary edition

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

They're sanitized a couple things and removed some missions. From the Bully Wiki:

• Rats do not spawn in free roam, but only in some missions.
  • Cars no longer show damaged parts.
  • Correspondingly, two errands involving vandalizing cars are unavailable.
  • Recruited allies can no longer be hurt by the player.
  • Go-Kart passes through people without hurting them or triggering the Trouble Meter.

How much that makes a difference is up to you!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finished up Wrath of Cortex, I'm normally a big crash bandicoot defender but that's easily the worst of the crash games I've played, boss battles were particularly bad, especially the plane based one in area 4, few too many vehicle sections and a kinda unbalanced difficulty curve. Happy to wrap it up in 4 hours or so!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of little poo poo they hosed up with the HD conversion. Some dialogue doesn't play or is way too loud. Some of the lighting can get hosed up. People are mixed on the new classes that got added. Same with the extra missions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played the bouncer for the first time in like 20 years, it's so wild to think this was one of the flagpole games for the ps2s first year, I've got a nostalgic soft spot for it and it's way more cinematic than I remembered but a cool game to revisit

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Never played it is it even fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Never played it is it even fun

At the time it was like "whoa you can do brawlers in 3d!!!" In a post Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry gaming world it is very archaic, a brawler put into 3d.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, I always had Bully in my endless backlog list in my head and was lukewarm at the idea of starting it but this page convinced me, thanks thread

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I never finished Bully for some reason. It’s weird because I’ve finished every other of their games in that style but yeah, just didn’t click with it. Anyway, never mind a new Vice City, give me a GTA set in Carcer City, dammit.

I haven’t booted up my PS2 in over a decade, after I killed my old faithful joypad after thousands of hours of Frequency, it was just never the same, the buttons on the new one were nowhere near responsive enough. God I miss that game, why isn’t it on the PS Store? Bah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Music licensing

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I saw some old footage of the PS2 launch and i noticed the blue stand. Did they actually sell it? Are there any decent modern alternatives?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah it existed. There was also a horizontal stand. I'm sure there's similar ones on etsy that are 3d printed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only had a demo disc with Frequency on it but I remember it being cool as hell

I recall doing the Fear Factory track quite a bit :rock:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Good soup! posted:

I only had a demo disc with Frequency on it but I remember it being cool as hell

I recall doing the Fear Factory track quite a bit :rock:

For me, it was a holy trinity of BT's Smart Bomb, Orbital's Funny Break, and Freezepop's Science Genius Girl. The timing on Freq was way less generous than than either Amplitude but it was better in terms of pure gameplay (although Amp 2016 did bring back the tunnel option thankfully) and the soundtrack was much more to my liking.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just realized that this game is probably why Freezepop became A Thing with people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just realized that this game is probably why Freezepop became A Thing with people.

Absolutely

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It was guitar hero for me, but that lead to me finding out about Frequency/Amplitude from talking about those games with others at the time.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Frequency is my davorkte game of all time and I play it yearly.

It really makes me sad that it still can't be emulated correctly in 2022. Same with Amplitude

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Also someone figured out how to export the songs from Freq and Amp and port them into Amplitude 2016

https://youtu.be/uahMXBVrq7k

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
Anyone remember Auto Modellista?

https://youtu.be/gEXBazvuUPA

Think Gran Turismo with an anime flair. Developed and published by Capcom and released in 2002 on PS2 (with GC and Xbox ports later on), Auto Modellista was part of an initiatived based around developing network-based games. Two other games were spawned from this initiative, Resident Evil Outbreak and Monster Hunter with the latter becoming a huge franchise later on.

Initially launching in Japan to poor reviews, Capcom tweaked the game for international release with that version releasing in Japan later in 2003 as Auto Modellista: US Tuned. This featured various UI improvements and new tracks, as well as the inclusion of American vehicles. However, the gameplay is noticably slower in this version as cars tend to accelerate much slower and lose way more speed performing turns. This version is looked down upon by fans.

In 2003, the game saw a semi-sequel on the Xbox, Group S Challenge, yet it lacked the cel shaded style of the original game. After that Capcom would work on the MotoGP series and never ever make another driving game.

So, how is it? Well, it's not bad. The game has a unique cel shaded style that reminds me of Jet Set Radio, with the flat colors and simpler low poly models. The gameplay attempts to be like Gran Turismo with it's incredible amount of technical customization and car collecting. The cars don't feel terrible to control, and there's a lot of depth in the customization of the vehicles. A lot of the time it feels too wide in scope, as it also tries to scratch the arcade itch with a good sense of speed and a fun drifting mechanic. A similar series from the time was Tokyo Xtreme Racer, another Japanese developed racing game released during that time. Both have an interesting Y2K aesthetic and fun drift mechanics, so definitely try those games as well.

As for playing it in 2023, Capcom has completely forgotten about this game so you have to track down an original copy which is not cheap or easy to find. The game sold incredibly poorly at the time and reviews were generally mixed to negative. You can emulate the game on PC as well, which is what I would recommend for anyone who wants to try this hidden gem.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I played Auto Modellista for the first time last year and I quite liked it for what it was. The anime/manga style screen effects worked really well but the physics were a little wonky. Best of all though I was able to set up my old Impreza with my old license plate so it's a 10/10 for me. :v:

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

RillAkBea posted:

I played Auto Modellista for the first time last year and I quite liked it for what it was. The anime/manga style screen effects worked really well but the physics were a little wonky. Best of all though I was able to set up my old Impreza with my old license plate so it's a 10/10 for me. :v:

A good part of the appeal for me is having those licensed cars. Lots of racing games either had them or didn't and being able to race my grandma's Honda Accord against a Viper just adds to the fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What would everyone consider the hidden gems of the PS2 library.

Personally I'm thinking
Under the Skin
GUN
Seek and Destroy

As games that were way better than they had any right being and are mostly forgotten.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

What would everyone consider the hidden gems of the PS2 library.

Personally I'm thinking
Under the Skin
GUN
Seek and Destroy

As games that were way better than they had any right being and are mostly forgotten.

RAD

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Flipnic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Both GunGrave games. I don't know who keeps pushing to make more, but bless'em I'll keep playing them.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both GunGrave games. I don't know who keeps pushing to make more, but bless'em I'll keep playing them.

Second for gungrave. Those character designs are loving great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I feel like not enough people talk about Maximo even though it sold enough to get a Greatest Hits release. I always enjoyed it and I'm still bummed about that third game being cancelled

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
10,000 Bullets; Score Attack/Character Action game where the focus is on rhythm shooting, dodging bullets, and boss fights. Incredibly bad voice acting, a truncated story, and a misplaced sense of 2000's Cool make it a really fun experience.

Akira Psycho Ball; Strange budget pinball game with the Akira license, has a 2 player Vs. mode on a U shaped cabinet where you try to overwhelm each other with multiballs. Fun for a novelty, but might not hold your attention.

Splatter Master; Platformer Beatemup from the Simple 2000 series, surprisingly strong aesthetic for a budget release, evocative of Illbleed-esque goofy horror, not particularly innovative, but good fun and has a lot of replay value.

I've seen Zombie Virus get brought up as a fun game to own, personally I think putting two loading screens between a Crazy Taxi dropoff is heinous.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 28, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neurolimal posted:

10,000 Bullets; Score Attack/Character Action game where the focus is on rhythm shooting, dodging bullets, and boss fights. Incredibly bad voice acting, a truncated story, and a misplaced sense of 2000's Cool make it a really fun experience.

I will never call this a good game, but it does some really neat things that I wish other games stole more from. Doing the visual novel with routes stuff but combining it with the shooting mechanics really works for me, even if as you say the story is a bit truncated. But it really hits on some thing like the characters playing pretty differently and really shows that it's from the PS2 era of "we haven't really established what the standards are so we are just going to try whatever" which does sadly also lead to some misses like, reloading your weapons with the start button.

Basically 10,000 Bullets is a perfect example of what I want modern indies/small budget devs to try and recapture/make a good version of.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Every time I see that title,I have to go through a whole process of remembering whether that was based on the Vertigo comic or not.

I partly blame XIII, which came around the same time and was an adaptation of a comic no one else in North America remembered. (The library had the three volumes that were translated before the publisher went under, and I read them at WAY too young an age, since they had put them in the kid's section.)

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Browsing PSX-place I found a tool for splitting up images larger than 4GB that will run on a mac unlike USBUtil.

https://github.com/developersu/Tihwin

I had a look over the code and can't find anything sus, and I was able to get it to work on my machine without issue.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

dlrry posted:

Anyone remember Auto Modellista?

https://youtu.be/gEXBazvuUPA

Think Gran Turismo with an anime flair. Developed and published by Capcom and released in 2002 on PS2 (with GC and Xbox ports later on), Auto Modellista was part of an initiatived based around developing network-based games. Two other games were spawned from this initiative, Resident Evil Outbreak and Monster Hunter with the latter becoming a huge franchise later on.

Initially launching in Japan to poor reviews, Capcom tweaked the game for international release with that version releasing in Japan later in 2003 as Auto Modellista: US Tuned. This featured various UI improvements and new tracks, as well as the inclusion of American vehicles. However, the gameplay is noticably slower in this version as cars tend to accelerate much slower and lose way more speed performing turns. This version is looked down upon by fans.

In 2003, the game saw a semi-sequel on the Xbox, Group S Challenge, yet it lacked the cel shaded style of the original game. After that Capcom would work on the MotoGP series and never ever make another driving game.

So, how is it? Well, it's not bad. The game has a unique cel shaded style that reminds me of Jet Set Radio, with the flat colors and simpler low poly models. The gameplay attempts to be like Gran Turismo with it's incredible amount of technical customization and car collecting. The cars don't feel terrible to control, and there's a lot of depth in the customization of the vehicles. A lot of the time it feels too wide in scope, as it also tries to scratch the arcade itch with a good sense of speed and a fun drifting mechanic. A similar series from the time was Tokyo Xtreme Racer, another Japanese developed racing game released during that time. Both have an interesting Y2K aesthetic and fun drift mechanics, so definitely try those games as well.

As for playing it in 2023, Capcom has completely forgotten about this game so you have to track down an original copy which is not cheap or easy to find. The game sold incredibly poorly at the time and reviews were generally mixed to negative. You can emulate the game on PC as well, which is what I would recommend for anyone who wants to try this hidden gem.

I have hundreds of hours in every iteration of Gran Turismo, and the controls and physics in Auto Modellista just never felt right.

As an alternative, try Enthusia Professional Racing. Extremely accurate simulation (relatively), and quirky selection of cars, tracks, challenges and upgrades. If Gran Turismo is what a car enthusiast thinks they want and Forza is what a group of marketing execs and focus groups think a car enthusiast wants, then Enthusia is what a car enthusiast actually wants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What are good PS2 arcadey racing games? I really liked Juiced back in the days and of course NFS Underground 2 (probably one my favourite of all time). For reference of the style of games: Juiced, NFS Underground 2 and of course Burnout style games (what's the best PS2 burnout game? I'd love one with the crash game mode). Micromachines or whatever games are cool too if they're not pure jank.