Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The SNES and PS1/PS2 has got me struggling to play fighting games on arcade sticks or with six button controllers. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

What's the best kind of cable I can get to connect an NTSC PS2? I have a Japanese one without cables and a CRT TV with SCART.

You can get a component cable(YPbPr) pretty easily. Or you could get a scart cable from ukcables, https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-playstation-2-ps2-rgb-scart-cable-composite-sync-CSYNC

They will look pretty similar as they are both component video signals. SCART will be a little better as it separates into a 3rd color difference. Most games should do 480i, but some will need 240p(especially for ps1 games).

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 7, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

In my experience, RGB (SCART is just the name of the connector, it doesn't have to be wired for an RGB signal) and YPbPr look basically identical as long as the cables themselves are high quality, and both can even do 480p on the PS2 if your display can handle it.

But yeah, if you have a CRT with a SCART input, a good RGB-SCART cable such as that one from Retro Gaming Cables is what you want.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ah yeah, looks like there are 150+ ps2 games that support progressive scan;480p. I have to remember to not just say SCART for RGBs, lol.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
I didn't see this part of the forums otherwise I would have commented before. Last year I was hit with nostalgia and wanted to go back to some of my fav PS2 games like Ratchet & Clank. My console is long dead, but I found out that I can run most PS2 games on my PC with only a bit of tinkering for specific titles. So I went on a search for the classics from way back when, but at the same time found out about a lot of games I somehow completely missed or were never released here in the EU.

I've been having a lot of fun with Warship Gunner 2 (this game is almost never mentioned, even on hidden gems lists), Urban Chaos and Raw Danger in particular. There's so many more quirky titles that surprisingly still hold up okay to this day.

Man, I love the PS2 generation.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i bought a fat pS2 several months ago with the intention of softmodding it, but never got around to it. i just found a doc with all the games i was gonna put on it so i think i'm gonna finally pull the trigger soon. just need to get a fmcb memory card, sata drive, and a sata to usb adapter and a network adapter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Strictly speaking you can image a FMBootHD image to the hard drive and forget about the memory card in the first place if you're using the HDD bay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Been playing Breath of Fire V today. Very cool game, reminds me a lot of Covenant of the Plume of all things, not at all what I was expecting after only ever being exposed to BoF1/2 previously.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015

liquid courage posted:

i bought a fat pS2 several months ago with the intention of softmodding it, but never got around to it. i just found a doc with all the games i was gonna put on it so i think i'm gonna finally pull the trigger soon. just need to get a fmcb memory card, sata drive, and a sata to usb adapter and a network adapter.

Is there a decent guide/Youtube video out there for this? Because nearly every thing I watch or read has a ton of comments contradicting whatever is said in the guide.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The easiest ways are:
- get a FMCB ready memory card from somewhere
- get a Network Adaptor and either a IDE to SATA converter or the SATA replacement board which is easy to install (there are also some SATA port adaptors without the NIC part out there if you don't think you'll ever be using LAN) and then applying a pre-built image with FMHDD on it, region doesn't matter. This is not applicable to slim PS2s at all

Then you can just copy OPL to the memcard using uLaunchElf if it's not already installed, make a shortcut on the OSD and go to town.

Note that you won't be able to install any games on the PS2 if the mechacon deems it invalid (ie, a burnt or out of region disc), so the easiest and fastest way is to pop the HDD out and use a PC

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Would it be easier to set up some kinda old-laptop or raspberry pi emulator?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PS2 emulation isn't all there yet for many games and it definitely doesn't run on a Pi

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Played Ace Combat 5 as a kid

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Does the PS2 have the same trove of jpn only weird games like the PS1?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sneak Lemming posted:

Really, some of the "weirdest" games actually got releases outside of Japan, for PS2. Stuff like Chulip, Mr. Mosquito, Katamari Damacy, Stretch Panic, so on.

luke_diddy86
Feb 27, 2020
Some favorites of mine: God of War, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Shinobi, Mercenaries, DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and Burnout 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sneak Lemming posted:

A lot more came over but there's still a lot out there. Sony made a game where you teach a polar bear to sing enka.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

JordanStiva posted:

Is there a decent guide/Youtube video out there for this? Because nearly every thing I watch or read has a ton of comments contradicting whatever is said in the guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive always wanted to play Chain Dive, and there's also fringe cases like Siren 2 coming out in Europe but not NA.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chain Dive had to be the one weirdo demo on OPM to not get localized.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

wait so is it possible to softmod with a hdd and also have it be region free? I thought yall said it wasn't possible to do both.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sneak Lemming posted:

wait so is it possible to softmod with a hdd and also have it be region free? I thought yall said it wasn't possible to do both.

Anything you boot off the HDD (or off an ESR patched DVD) can be region irrespective, proper pressed media still has to follow the mechacon rules.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Sneak Lemming posted:

Depending on the game loader you're using you can also load games stored on another pc or server over your network. Doing that however prevents you from using the network adapter to play what few online games there are left that still work.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I think I was 13 when the PS2 released. My family knew how pumped I was and tried to surprise me with one on launch, they sent my uncle to brave the crowd and he almost got in a fight over the last one. He didn't get it but I was still super grateful that they had even tried. My family is pretty rad.

I ended up getting a PS2 at Christmas of 2001 along with Gran Turismo 3, Tony Hawk 3, and GTA3. Holy poo poo what a loaded lineup that was, I easily put 100+ hours into each of those. I got way too deep into GTA3 fandom, joining the various GTA forums, helping form the absurd conspiratorial theories about what every easter egg & glitch meant, learning to fly the stupid broken plane and trying to land on the 'ghost city' from the intro video, etc. Hell I still talk to some of the people I met while doing that.

I still struggle to think of this nearly 20 year old console as retro. I've always thought of it as the first console you didn't have to make excuses for - things have improved since then, obviously, but it feels like the first generation that was more limited by direction than hardware. Games that looked great on release still look great today, and even the ones that looked like rear end are still generally recognizable compared to the abstract, blocky mess of the 32 bit era.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Vord posted:

what few online games there are left that still work.

wait, what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stuff like Metal Gear Online and Resident Evil Outbreak 1 / 2 still have private servers maintained by dedicated megafans that let you use the online functionality. I played through both outbreak files a year or so ago with 4 people, it's really sick.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
So do any games that used gamespy servers. Also any games with LAN play.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't remember if legend of Dragoon is ps1 or ps2. I'm feeling ps1 though. Either way FFX still holds a strong place in my heart because of how much I played it when I was younger.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LoD is PSX.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I went to play LoD for the first time, its rough, the quick time events do not hold up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sneak Lemming posted:

I went to play LoD for the first time, its rough, the quick time events do not hold up.

That's a shame. I remember playing the game so much, but on disc 3 somehow it got scratched so I would just have to start over from disk 1 again. Never did finish it. We were far too poor to buy a new copy lol.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sneak Lemming posted:

Was that the one that had fighting game motions for some dumb reason?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, Dragoon's QTEs are just of the "hit the X button at specific times" variety.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Was that the one that had fighting game motions for some dumb reason?

I think you are maybe thinking of Legend of Legaia?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Probably. :negative:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Commander Keene posted:

No, Dragoon's QTEs are just of the "hit the X button at specific times" variety.

yeah, but I'm the kinda person who puts Squalls Renzokuken on AUTO

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
MADNESS...HERo--

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That was just up,down,left,right attacks to fill a bar. It remembers your last input and you can combine moves into multiple Arts. No QTE I know of.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sneak Lemming posted:

yeah, but I'm the kinda person who puts Squalls Renzokuken on AUTO
You could look for the accessory that eliminates the need to do the QTEs. It's called the Wargod or something similar IIRC. It comes in two flavors; one auto-succeeds the QTEs but halves your damage (probably roughly equaling what you'd get it you're bad at them) and one just says "gently caress it" and gives you the whole thing for free.

Or you could cheat them in.

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was just up,down,left,right attacks to fill a bar. It remembers your last input and you can combine moves into multiple Arts. No QTE I know of.
I think there was a character in FF8 that had fighting game inputs as part of the QTE for his Limit Break, but I can't think of any turn-based RPGs off the top of my head that force you to do fighting game inputs just to get basic attacks like LoD does with its timing QTEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Commander Keene posted:

Or you could cheat them in.

That's not a bad idea, but my fleeting attention span has moved to different games. Maybe if it go back to it in the future.
Also I'm not sure you can say that Zells "fighting game moves" are really anything with a thin nod to fighting games.