Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came
Dark Cloud 2 is my favorite game of all time. (You can get it for $15 on the PS4 through the Playstation Store.) I haven't played it in 15 years so some of this may be totally wrong, but:

It's at its core a dungeon crawler, but it has so many systems that are all ABSURDLY deep, all interlock, and (almost) all feel great. You are trying to rebuild some shattered cities, so as you progress through dungeons you pick up things like pieces of wood and pieces of stone, which you then use as the building blocks to build buildings/structures in towns. You also rescue the townsfolk, who then have specific requests of how they want the town to be built, so you can then repopulate the town with the people you found. So, for example, one dude you rescue will say "I want to be by the waterfall!" so you build a waterfall, and place his house next to it, and then he will move into his house and reward you.

You also build your own items. You take pictures of various things throughout the world with Max's camera, which give him ideas of things to invent. This one was extremely opaque and one day when I eventually replay it I'm going to use an actual guide, but the idea was really cool. Like, you'll be in the dungeon, and a bull will be charging you, and you take a picture of the charging bull and it gives Max an idea.

Oh yeah you build a FIGHTING ROBOT which you can ride inside and he's ridiculously powerful, and using the invention gimmick, you can invent cool things for him, like treads or a propellor for legs, boxing gloves, a squirt gun, a sword arm, a bazooka arm, new power packs, new armor.

Your weapons (your sword and your gun) level up as you use them, and you pick from an absurdly long list of upgrade paths that all accentuate different aspects of the weapons. So if you want to turn your gun into a rocket launcher you may go down the fire/dark path, but if you want to turn it into a sniper rifle you may go down the air/water path, but if you want it to be elemental you can go down another path. I played without a guide so I only saw a small glimpse of how many different paths and combinations there were. Biggest downside is you can only see your next two upgrades so you're semi-blind with how you upgrade.

Also, every time you beat a level you play GOLF at the end of the level to get sweet prizes, using the actual terrain of the level, and there are a ton of different golf clubs you can make/find that all have different strengths/weaknesses. I loving sucked at it, but it was fun as hell. Such a great treat for beating a level.

There are so many other little systems that you can either ignore, dabble in, or lose your mind in. I'm not even going into that you can turn into plants/animals and walk around dungeons talking to enemies and learning things about them like their weaknesses!

The graphics are great, the gameplay is great, the music is great, the story is great, there is nothing about the game that is not great.

Edit: making this post just made me buy it on the PS4 and start playing it again.

Deschain fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I love that game and am in the middle of a replay myself. And the voice acting cast was just crazy. A hodgepodge a VA's from metal gear solid and other known voices and then Mark Hamill out of nowhere at the end of the game.

Also if you're not to far into the game and your computer can handle it, it might be worth restarting the game on PCSX2. The widescreen patch works amazingly well and it renders at a higher res nicely too. I haven't run into any problems so far.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Dark Cloud 2 is a great example of how the PS2 generation hit a sweet spot of fidelity being just high enough to represent almost anything and development costs still low enough that medium-sized projects with truly weird ideas were all over the place. I think the only other console library that comes close is the 3DS and it's for exactly the same reasons.

I've been working my way through the PS2 Armored Core games, just started Silent Line. No denying the controls took getting used to but man are those deep, fun mech games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ReWinter posted:

Dark Cloud 2 is a great example of how the PS2 generation hit a sweet spot of fidelity being just high enough to represent almost anything and development costs still low enough that medium-sized projects with truly weird ideas were all over the place. I think the only other console library that comes close is the 3DS and it's for exactly the same reasons.

I've been working my way through the PS2 Armored Core games, just started Silent Line. No denying the controls took getting used to but man are those deep, fun mech games.
That's probably why the PS2 and the 3DS are my favorite consoles.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ReWinter posted:

There's a definite leap once you hit the trio of NineBreaker, Last Raven, and Nexus. That's where you get analog support. Last Raven is probably my favorite armored core game. I played all the ps1 titles back in the day, and I'm thinking about starting fresh and finally doing a save carrythrough and using the kurasawa through all 3 starting titles.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Kazvall posted:

using the kurasawa through all 3 starting titles.

It basically removes all notion of difficulty, way more fun to switch it up with other weapons imo.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

It basically removes all notion of difficulty, way more fun to switch it up with other weapons imo.

What like, missile arms? Heh

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Kazvall posted:

There's a definite leap once you hit the trio of NineBreaker, Last Raven, and Nexus. That's where you get analog support. Last Raven is probably my favorite armored core game. I played all the ps1 titles back in the day, and I'm thinking about starting fresh and finally doing a save carrythrough and using the kurasawa through all 3 starting titles.

Good thing, too, because while it's been years I remember Last Raven being unbelievably hard, isn't it?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ReWinter posted:

Good thing, too, because while it's been years I remember Last Raven being unbelievably hard, isn't it?

Some of the encounters against other Ravens are hard as balls. Until you decide to give up and use the nuke arms.

Honestly, for the original games, I think you can map a dual shock controller to the playstation mini and not have to use R1/L1 to look up and down. Will probably do it that way.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 11, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ReWinter posted:

gently caress I loved the first Dark Cloud so much. I liked the sequel too but I definitely prefer the first one, and nostalgia is almost 100% for sure why.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i have not played through dark cloud 2 in forever but i think my main complaints with it versus the first one was that there was almost too much poo poo to do, so you end up leaving a ton by the wayside, and that i hated how the game could not go without basically telling you how to win the boss fights. i noticed level 5 still doing this with the first ni no kuni, too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The combo system in Dragon Quarter gets a lot more fun when you have lots of level 1/2 skills to use and more AP. Those early stages are gonna be pretty rough on replays unless your NG+ boosted level lets you blow through them really quick.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The game is absolutely designed towards speedrunning in replays, your D-rank, though it starts on the first game as a plot relevant detail, is an actual rank that is based on how well you did in the last playthrough and updates when you beat it, and the highest rank requires you to beat it without saving and within a few hours. I imagine you end up D-Dashing through a lot of things and banking a ton of bonus XP in the previous run to do it. There are also doors throughout the game that are locked to certain ranks for you to enter.

You can transfer your equipment onto replays, but you don't keep your level (just the bonus xp you didn't use).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I had a friend who ground out the best ending and highest D-rank and it basically involved multiple runs worth of banked XP to dodge/annihilate everything instantly.

I really wanted to like the game but that central mechanic was just too off putting to me so I just watched him wreck the game

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey thread. With this free time we all seem to be having, and the fact that I'm getting one of the best 36 inch consumer CRT SD sets that were made in a couple days (The Sony KV-36FV310), I think it's time to bust out some PS2!

Why do I mention standard def? Because the ps2 was king at the time where not a lot of companies wanted to fully embrace 480i but where sony took it to the next level. I've modded a phat ps2 before with a IDE HD, but I somehow just became aware that you can use a ps2 slim (7000 series or before, after that they took out the ps1 hardware and also made it a pain in the rear end to mod) with an ethernet cable to load games directly off the network or right from your PC hard drive.

Soon it'll be time to slam some YPbPr cables into a big ol' beast and experience 480i in all it's true glory.

The question is, what the gently caress should I play?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness imo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You're gonna have to narrow the field a bit, there's a lot of good stuff on the PS2.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Commander Keene posted:

You're gonna have to narrow the field a bit, there's a lot of good stuff on the PS2.

whats the most lofi hiphop beats to chill to game on ps2? Ps1 has quite a lot that fill that category, but I figure lots of devs were just trying weird poo poo with the Ps1

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Ico

and then Shadow of the Colossus, obviously.

Two of my favourite games of all time.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 21, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Hey thread. With this free time we all seem to be having, and the fact that I'm getting one of the best 36 inch consumer CRT SD sets that were made in a couple days (The Sony KV-36FV310), I think it's time to bust out some PS2!

Why do I mention standard def? Because the ps2 was king at the time where not a lot of companies wanted to fully embrace 480i but where sony took it to the next level. I've modded a phat ps2 before with a IDE HD, but I somehow just became aware that you can use a ps2 slim (7000 series or before, after that they took out the ps1 hardware and also made it a pain in the rear end to mod) with an ethernet cable to load games directly off the network or right from your PC hard drive.

Soon it'll be time to slam some YPbPr cables into a big ol' beast and experience 480i in all it's true glory.

Play the Onimusha trilogy, because it rules.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Timesplitters 2
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Jurassic Park Operation Genesis
i dunno probably a metal gear or something lol

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm suggest games you can only play on a sdtv due to lag

Frequency
Amotude
Gitaroi Man

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, if we're suggesting stuff that NEEDs a CRT than I guess Time Crisis 2 and all the other GunCon games?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Kins posted:

Oh, if we're suggesting stuff that NEEDs a CRT than I guess Time Crisis 2 and all the other GunCon games?

Thanks all for the suggestions, this specifically is right up my alley as I got point blank 1 and 2 last week and have been balling out with my psone. Now, I wont actually have to purchase any ps2 guncon games and they are gonna be a blast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Timesplitters 2
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
One of the Katamaris

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Welp, I need to set up a freemcboot memory card. Then I'll be able to play ps2 slim over ethernet. If only I had 007 agent under fire...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Purchased 007: From Russia With Love off ebay since that's another confirmed swap game for FMB. Would anyone be interested in memory cards with FMB installed once I get everything working?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I haven't looked into it in quite a while but isn't there also a method to make freemcboot cards with the usb card reader sony released when the ps3 came out?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Vord posted:

I haven't looked into it in quite a while but isn't there also a method to make freemcboot cards with the usb card reader sony released when the ps3 came out?

Oh yeah that's true. I bet they are pretty rare now.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
drat you're not kidding about that. Wonder if I should try to sell mine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Did anyone else love Smugglers Run as much as I did?

It's almost hard to classify, it's a racing game but you're not so much racing as you are trying to outrun the border patrol and avoid rival smuggling gangs.

It had really fun and interesting vehicle physics but the best part to me were the huge open-world levels that you were free to explore in "joyride mode", I loved trying to find all the easter eggs and secrets. The levels were also packed with little people and animals that couldn't be killed but could be ragdolled all over the place.

There are no weapons, you can't destroy other vehicles, and you can't get out of your car but I liked to joke it was my first GTA game because it was published by Rockstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQ70sVAyGc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggler%27s_Run

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Vord posted:

drat you're not kidding about that. Wonder if I should try to sell mine.

They are all over ebay for 5$

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sneak Lemming posted:

They are all over ebay for 5$

I'm seeing them consistently sell for an average of $50.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

These right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're talking about the USB card reader that could make the mcboot memory cards, not the cards themselves.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
This thing

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I don’t think I’ve spent more time on any other game than SOCOM 2 online. Countless hours playing Foxhunt, Fishhook, Crossroads and Tanker (?).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sneak Lemming posted:

whats the most lofi hiphop beats to chill to game on ps2? Ps1 has quite a lot that fill that category, but I figure lots of devs were just trying weird poo poo with the Ps1

steambot chronicles imo

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Wait is this steampunk armored core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Kind of but with a life simulation kinda kick to it

Also musical performances