Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mentioned it on the Shounen thread, making it now. Kinnikuman is one of the oldest and most influential Shounen manga that are still running. Written by the duo Yudetamago (writer Takashi Shimada and artist Yoshinori Nakai, it started serialization forty years ago, in 1979, as a parody of popular Tokusatsu show Ultraman starring the eponymous alien 'superhero', a lazy and cowardly idiot who frequently bumbled his way into victory and fought bizarre creatures. Eventually, however, all changed when the wrestling fanatic authors started a superhuman wrassling arc that got massive popularity and immediately shifted the Manga's focus from gag humor to wrasslin' shounen, with melodramatic plots, heroic and villainous fighting gimmicks and finishing moves that indeed wouldn't feel out of a wrestling storyline at all.

Eventually the Manga ended its first phase in the 36th volume in 1987, and ten years later the sequel Kinnikuman Nisei (localized in the west as Ultimate Muscle) begins, telling the story of Kinnikuman's son, Mantaro, and his reluctant struggle to follow his father's footsteps. Nisei eventually ended in 2011 with an incredible arc where the 'New Generation' of supermen travels back in time to stop time traveling bad guys and find themselves on the time of the original Kinnikuman generation. Soon after Nisei's end, however, new chapters of the original Kinnikuman begin serialization, taking place just after where the last arc of the late 80s ended and are still ongoing, making it perhaps one of the longest running Shounen manga in existence.

I strongly recommend reading it because the modern arcs are real good, with far more polished art, tight fights and great characterization of all the characters old and new.

Original Kinnikuman manga, also includes the new chapters from volume 37 on
The Time Choujin arc of Kinnikuman Nisei

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To give an idea how influential this manga is btw the original finishing move of Kinnikuman himself has been used in irl wrestling by a lot of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFGFPZHaAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQH8DjsQEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-_mRbc5PE

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The first two OPs to the original anime are all time greats as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfqyGtKcVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6F-vOk-4ms

Even though Kinnikuman doesn't have much of a presence in the west, it's undoubtedly had a huge influence on the manga and anime industry, being a huge inspiration for Akira Toriyama's Dragonball and many other shounen and comedy series to follow suit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kinnikuman is my favorite lazy day show, it's quick and entertaining and has a good mix of juvenile jokes and earnest super power action. Probably has some of the most creative designs in anime

The spinoff Tatakae!! Ramenman is really good too, it's a martial arts show that's played completely straight, one episode has Ramenman teach a five year old martial arts so he can avenge the murder of his parents

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I really need to read this because so many of the gags in Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo are Kinnikuman references.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Julias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Was the anime any good? I know it got fansubbed but never bothered with it much past like the 1st 2 or 3 episodes where it was still just goofy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Irritated Goat posted:

Was the anime any good? I know it got fansubbed but never bothered with it much past like the 1st 2 or 3 episodes where it was still just goofy.

A lot of the earlier stuff is goofy and you do get shonen pacing in parts, but the later arcs have really good tension and character moments yeah.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
HnG Muscle Subs released up to 86 back in April. There's not a lot for Ni Sei though. I think someone's redoing them but very very slowly.

So far, the manga has been terrific. It's ridiculous but in a good way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat imagine if irl wrestling was like this

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I remember both Ultimate Muscle and Shaman King being part of 4Kids’ golden age where the looser s&p of Fox allowed them to get away with more in terms of violence and, more importantly for UM, potty humour when compared to the WB.

Heck, I mind UM doing so good for 4Kids that thy funded the last arc themselves and built a pretty good rapport between themselves and Toei which was subsequently pissed away with One Piece.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If I remember correctly, Shaman King actually kind of bit them in the rear end, because they were actively trying to not make a hosed up turbo-censored dub (in response to how badly everyone reacted to One Piece) and, because they did it to the shonen where a major villain is a psychotic surgeon lugging his dead wife's rotting corpse around, it resulted in piles upon piles of "WHAT THE gently caress WHY ARE YOU EXPOSING MY CHILDREN TO THIS" letters from angry parents.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was under the impression that the order of play was;
  • Ultimate Muscle premieres, Fox s&p allows for harder Y7 content.
  • 4kids does deal for co-production of UM season 3.
  • Shaman King premires, its content some of the most to the knuckle put out by 4kids.
  • Toei opens bidding / ‘competition’ for One Piece rights which 4kids win (possibly helped by UM CoPro) and also get the rights to Magical DoReiMi in the process.
  • 4kids start work on OP. Initial work shown at trade shows proves promising (including translated ‘we are’)
  • Shaman King finale draws little in the way of ratings, a ton of PTA ire.
  • 4kids over corrects and flubs One Piece.
  • Toei ghosts 4kids on future projects (Season 3 of OP, Season 2 of DoReiMi, PreCure, any future UM work, etc.)
  • One Piece spends rest of its life on US TV shambling as a ratings pariah thanks to 4kids’ handy work

Course, this is speculation of what happened behind closed doors some 15 years ago so who knows but the people who were there, I ‘spose.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 10, 2019

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dik Dik van Dik will forever remain in the Names Hall of Fame.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Can't say I expected this to get a thread on SA, but sure as hell can't say I mind, either.

Also seconding the glory of Dik Dik van Dik. Even when I forgot Ultimate Muscle, a part of me remembered he was a thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm under the impression most of the renames were fine and certainly not insane leaps of logic like changing Hao's name to Zeke. Dik Dik was probably the most esoteric to the point where one of the commericals for UM was him having a breakdown about what his name ment ("I'm a buck, a dear, that's what a dik dik is!") and some of the more daft ones might have been lifts from the M.U.S.C.L.E. line.

So, uh, any recomendations on where I start with all this? Something like "Read this for person x's intro and then hit Y for shift to wrestling"?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 10, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm under the impression most of the renames were fine and certainly not insane leaps of logic like changing Hao's name to Zeke. Dik Dik was probably the most esoteric to the point where one of the commericals for UM was him having a breakdown about what his name ment ("I'm a buck, a dear, that's what a dik dik is!") and some of the more daft ones might have been lifts from the M.U.S.C.L.E. line.

So, uh, any recomendations on where I start with all this? Something like "Read this for person x's intro and then hit Y for shift to wrestling"?

Start from chapter 1 of the Kinnikuman manga and go on from there. Can't be any simpler than that.

It's fan translated although the translations...aren't great for the older material. They're still readable, but not necessarily gramatically perfect. The newer material has much better translations, thankfully.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Nisei translations are all over the place. They are getting new chapters regularly but there's hundreds of chapters that got skipped so I look and uhhh turns out Scarface is a Justice Chojin now???

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Nisei chapters being missing might have to do with Viz's run of series.

Edit: ah, even the Tag Team Arc seems to be missing a chunk.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 10, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Omega Centaurians arc is so loving good god drat. Omegaman Aristera is a 100% a hero that happens to be on the wrong side, dude loves his friends and family but just happened to be too consumed by revenge.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plutonis posted:

The Omega Centaurians arc is so loving good god drat. Omegaman Aristera is a 100% a hero that happens to be on the wrong side, dude loves his friends and family but just happened to be too consumed by revenge.

It's genuinely impressive how good the villain writing has been ever since the series restarted. I feel no villain has been two-dimensional, they all have clear goals and motivations and you can even find yourself rooting for them, since even if they're ultimately wrong they're compelling and understandable.

I mean of course I still want Ataru to beat Aristera but I want it because I want Aristera to realize that revenge is pointless and finally fully awaken his Hellfire Inner Strength and save his world, not because I want him grinded to dust.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Okay so I'm reading this because of this thread and it took a while to get good but Kinnikuman just used the power of farts to fart his way out of a pocket dimension he was trapped in by a wrestler with a donut head and I'm ready to call this art.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Is that the Black Hole fight? The whole Devil Supermen arc owns bones not the least because it's where Buffaloman debuted

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HerraS posted:

Is that the Black Hole fight? The whole Devil Supermen arc owns bones not the least because it's where Buffaloman debuted

Sure is!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Buffaloman is so loving cool they even game him the second best theme out of everyone

DEVIRU DEVIRU BUFFALO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9Qqlgh_Bg

Warsman has by far the best one tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgwLiluKwNQ

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Julias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfqyGtKcVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6F-vOk-4ms

Even though Kinnikuman doesn't have much of a presence in the west, it's undoubtedly had a huge influence on the manga and anime industry, being a huge inspiration for Akira Toriyama's Dragonball and many other shounen and comedy series to follow suit.

"In the west" my rear end, latinoamérica got the original series dubbed all through the nineties and noughties.

I am kinda salty it dropped off halfway through the black hole fight.

Hrmm. I remember back a few years ago a translation group was doing a lot of redrawing and retranslating the Kinnikuman manga.

I don't remember what group was it since I was reading it on mangafox and that site went to poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Siegkrow posted:

Hrmm. I remember back a few years ago a translation group was doing a lot of redrawing and retranslating the Kinnikuman manga.

I don't remember what group was it since I was reading it on mangafox and that site went to poo poo.

The Kinnikuman manga is fully translated already. The original part of the manga has a...rough translation though, not terrible, but with more than a few grammar errors, clearly not made by a native English speaker. Still, readable and worthwhile. The new chapters have top-tier translations though.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Can I just say that I had a hearty :lol: at the new series starting the first tournament with acknowledging that Brocken Jr. was the ultimate jobber in the original and giving him an actual win

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HerraS posted:

Can I just say that I had a hearty :lol: at the new series starting the first tournament with acknowledging that Brocken Jr. was the ultimate jobber in the original and giving him an actual win

I wish more series did the same honestly. Let the jobbers have a chance at the spotlight too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish more series did the same honestly. Let the jobbers have a chance at the spotlight too.

I mean, hasn't that been Revival in general? Hell, they gave my boy Black Hole two whole matches. Two!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

I mean, hasn't that been Revival in general? Hell, they gave my boy Black Hole two whole matches. Two!

Hence why I said "more series". It's insane how good Kinnikuman has been about giving minor characters the spotlight since it returned. Hell, the titular character himself has gotten pretty sidelined, with the big bad matches usually being done by others (like Justiceman this arc or The Man before) which is unthinkable in shonen.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hence why I said "more series". It's insane how good Kinnikuman has been about giving minor characters the spotlight since it returned. Hell, the titular character himself has gotten pretty sidelined, with the big bad matches usually being done by others (like Justiceman this arc or The Man before) which is unthinkable in shonen.

Oh, I know. I just found it funny Brocken Jr was the example when far more minor characters from every arc but Neptuneman's have been getting a ton of spotlight. I mean, for crying out loud, Wolfman and Big Body got their Ws this arc!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bumping to say that the Omega Centaurian arc just ended and a new manga series is starting in August. Looking forward to see Kinnikuman and his buddies fight the loving Choujin Pantheon

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plutonis posted:

Bumping to say that the Omega Centaurian arc just ended and a new manga series is starting in August. Looking forward to see Kinnikuman and his buddies fight the loving Choujin Pantheon

Thanks for the news, I hadn't been paying attention for a bit since the manga went on hiatus, so it's good to know that it came back. Now I only need to catch up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I stopped reading around the end of the Prince fights. I wanted to give ni sei a try but it seems to be translated from end to beginning. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

I stopped reading around the end of the Prince fights. I wanted to give ni sei a try but it seems to be translated from end to beginning. :(

just catch up the original series because the 'reboot' is ignoring nisei lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bump.

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1635966380116791297

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope it's a full new adaptation and not just a continuation of the old anime with the new material.

But even if it is the latter the modern arcs are absolutely excellent and I'd love to watch them animated.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope it's a full new adaptation and not just a continuation of the old anime with the new material.

But even if it is the latter the modern arcs are absolutely excellent and I'd love to watch them animated.

Getting the davidpro treatment from the start would be awesome. Also there has been an official announcement but no studio or information yet.

https://twitter.com/kin29man_anime/status/1636381815228502020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Kinnkuman Oneshot special for his most famous move, slight spoilers but :drat: is it good

https://mangadex.org/chapter/15c54117-dc1e-4866-93c3-52a2d50105fe