Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
(tweaked repost of my own Resetera OT)

Genre: 2D turn-based strategy
Players: 1-6 (hotseat, LAN, online)
Developer: Team17
Release date: January 29, 1999 (Europe) / May 31, 1999 (North America)
Platforms: Windows PC (CD-ROM, Steam, and GOG), Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1, Game Boy Color

Current major update version: 3.8 (July 16, 2020)
Current minor update version: 3.8.1 (November 8, 2020) [changelog]

Update installer for CD-ROM version (Steam is automatic; GOG is updated through GOG Galaxy)
Highlights of 3.8 update
Full (and then some!) 3.8 changelog

Built off of the Worms 2 engine, Worms Armageddon is the most skillful, flexible, and feature-filled version of Worms to date. Up to 48 individual worms (6 teams of 8 worms each) can face off with an arsenal of 63 different weapons and utilities. Customize match settings such as turn time, sudden death speed, ammo, weapon power, crate drop percentage, and fall damage toggle. Customize your team's names, flag, gravestone, victory anthem, and speechbank. And either choose from one of over 17 billion randomly generated maps, or import your own!

Single player modes

Gameplay / Gametypes

Worms are placed either manually or randomly across the terrain. Each turn, you have a set amount of time to select a worm, move, jump, collect crates, fire a weapon, or use a utility. When a worm runs out of health, it blows itself up. Worms can also be killed by drowning. The team with the last worm standing wins.

This is just how normal deathmatch works, though. Over the years, the Worms community has conceived of many different schemes with special rules. Among the most popular are:

Elite

Deathmatch with a short time limit and few weapons. Where you place your worms is key, as is moving efficiently.

Forts

Left vs. right on a custom twin-island map. Some special rules apply.

Bazookas and Grenades

Commonly shortened to BnG, this is Worms in its most simple form. Teams are locked into position on opposite sides on the map, and only have the titular weapons and a few utilities at their disposal. Using the varying wind to bend Bazooka shots and setting the right Grenade fuse are key tactics.

Shopper / Roper / Wall to Wall

These demand skill with the Ninja Rope. Each turn, you must use the rope to navigate a complex custom map, collect a weapon crate, fire a weapon, and hide. Advanced players can do all this with incredible speed. Roper uses a more open map, but a shorter timer. Wall to Wall (or WxW, where "x" is the number of walls) requires you to touch all of the marked walls on the map before firing your weapon.

Rope Race (and variants)

Use the Ninja Rope to navigate a maze. Can also be played with Jetpacks, Parachutes, or Bungees.

Mole Shopper

The most claustrophobic scheme. Worms are spawned in small holes inside a solid map, and must use Moles and Blowtorches to dig tunnels and collect weapon crates. Often just called Mole, as it has nothing to do with the rope-based Shopper scheme.

Team17

Two teams vs. two teams on a dense random enclosed map. Crates spawn every turn, and the race is on to collect as many as possible before sudden death, when you can no longer select your worm, the water starts rising, and all the worms are poisoned.

Supersheeper

Worms are locked in position, and are only equipped with the Super Sheep. Use it to fly around the map, collect health crates, and wreak fluffy havok on the enemy!

Bow and Arrow

Commonly shortened to BnA, worms are spawned in midair on tiny dots of terrain surrounded by mines, and must use the Bow to knock the mines into opposing worms. Chain reactions are prevalent, especially in the massively expanded Big BnA variant.

Darts

Use the Ninja Rope to launch worms at a dartboard, and stick them in place with the Drill.

Walk For Weapons

Played on a boardgame map, the only way to use a weapon is to walk to a square with that weapon shown on it.

Holy War

Use Girders to fill an empty map, then let fly with extra-bouncy Holy Hand Grenades!

Hysteria

1 second turn time. Demands absolute knowledge of key bindings and weapon behavior.

The Full Wormage

Every weapon is at your disposal, including the insane superweapons. Unlocked when you complete all the single player modes.

----> Other schemes <----

Online Etiquette

https://worms2d.info/Etiquette

19 years on, the online play is still fully functional (though ranks were disabled long ago), and you can get a match pretty much anytime! There are a few things you should know before jumping in, though.

1. Beginners should stick to normal deathmatch. Ninja Rope-based games are the most popular, but they come with a set of special rules, as do some other schemes, notably BnG. If you feel you have the skills for these games, hosts are likely to ask you to name the rules. Do so quickly, or expect to be kicked out.

2. This is a very international game. South America and Eastern Europe in particular have a huge presence.

3. Learn the basic controls such as jumping and chatting, and remember to add your team and click the "ready" light bulb.

4. If nobody is joining the game you hosted, you may have firewall problems. But all is not lost.

5. Occasionally, a game may say "Pros Only", "Normal No Noobs", or "NNN". Unless you've been playing for many years and know every trick and nuance, avoid these. Thanks in large part to its complex yet mostly predictable physics engine, the skill ceiling of WA is stratospheric.

Updates

Since 2002, the game has been continually updated not by Team17, but by David "Deadcode" Ellsworth, who was granted access to Armageddon's source code. He was later joined by Vladimir "CyberShadow" Panteleev, who mostly handles the networking side of things, and maintains the extensive Worms Knowledge Base. Among the things added to WA over the years are...

Compatibility with modern systems
Windowed mode
Improved Linux compatibility
Colour map importing (Note: currently limited to 113 colour PNGs)
Increased max custom map size from 1920 × 696 to 32512 x 32600 (examples at the Worms Map Database)
Match playback files
Single-digit scheme settings adjustment
Ultra-high resolution support (Note: game assets are not drawn at a higher resolution - the game view is merely zoomed out)
Mod support

HostingBuddy and WormNAT2 (workarounds for firewall issues)

...as well as countless other quality-of-life improvements and bugfixes. The tireless efforts of Deadcode and CyberShadow have enhanced Armageddon far, far beyond its prequel Worms 2 and its sequel Worms World Party (whose "remaster" is anything but).

If you want to get more involved with the community, head over to The Ultimate Site (TUS). They have leagues, tournaments, clans, downloads, and a forum. A few of the members have...attitude, though, so watch out. Also note that the majority of the league/tourney players have mad skills, though not quite NNN level.

Tech Support

TUS also is the place to go for tech support:

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tech-support/

Co-maintainer CyberShadow and other bright folk hang out in there. If WA is crashing or you have other major problems, just post ERRORLOG.TXT and CRASH.DMP (found in WA's install folder) along with your system specs, the version of WA you're using, and a description of your problem, and they'll get to the bottom of it! :)

Note: If you're running the CD-ROM version, be sure the latest update is installed.

---> GameSpot's review <---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_0PDUEnVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygj6Mf0FhA

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Didn't know this was a thing I wanted to see until you mentioned it. Will this tournament be streamed? High-level Worms sounds incredible.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The later rounds might be streamed - the group stage is just finishing up right now.

http://cwtsite.com/

You can find some links to streams from last year on there, though a better way to watch games is via WA's internal replay system - every round is being uploaded for result verification. You do have to buy the game, though... :P

Though I'm not following matches outside my group very closely, some players to watch this year are tanerrr (who's a jerk), Siwy (last year's runner-up), Rafka, and Kayz. I think all the players except me are from Europe.

Note that it could be a while until the playoffs. The tourney kind of snuck up on people this year, and as a result there the fewer players than normal (the only reason I managed to qualify...) and progress is slow.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
(language warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BorZc59aqAg

(language & volume warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHnwSBr_eJ8

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Not sure if this is the right thread for this since the second part of this question is beyond the purview of the PS2 era; but why is it that goons have generally played Armageddon instead of world party?
Lap for that second but is the new game as good as Armageddon?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this since the second part of this question is beyond the purview of the PS2 era; but why is it that goons have generally played Armageddon instead of world party?
Lap for that second but is the new game as good as Armageddon?

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Updates

Since 2002, the game has been continually updated not by Team17, but by David "Deadcode" Ellsworth, who was granted access to Armageddon's source code. He was later joined by Vladimir "CyberShadow" Panteleev, who mostly handles the networking side of things, and maintains the extensive Worms Knowledge Base. Among the things added to WA over the years are...

Compatibility with modern systems
Windowed mode
Improved Linux compatibility
Colour map importing (Note: currently limited to 113 colour PNGs)
Increased max custom map size from 1920 × 696 to 32512 x 32600 (examples at the Worms Map Database)
Match playback files
Single-digit scheme settings adjustment
Ultra-high resolution support (Note: game assets are not drawn at a higher resolution - the game view is merely zoomed out)
Mod support

HostingBuddy and WormNAT2 (workarounds for firewall issues)

...as well as countless other quality-of-life improvements and bugfixes. The tireless efforts of Deadcode and CyberShadow have enhanced Armageddon far, far beyond its prequel Worms 2 and its sequel Worms World Party (whose "remaster" is anything but).

As for the latest Worms game, WMD, it's probably the best one since Armageddon (especially in the graphics department), but still has some of the things that have plagued the latter-day Worms games, including hard-to-read fonts, overly busy graphics, and loose/imprecise physics. Armageddon remains a more balanced and refined experience.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 8, 2021

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I still have stupid amounts of fun with this one using an externally-edited scheme that jacks up every weapon and utility's stats to the maximum. Like, yeah, it's cheap as hell, but sometimes you just want to have a Dynamite that literally blows up a third of the map when Damage 2x is active (unfortunately you can't make it permanently on, if you try it'll be active for your first turn but inactive until you get another Damage 2x utility box).

It's kind of a shame that the scheme editing, even with external tools, isn't quite as versatile as Worms 2's, especially given the game is by-and-large more solid in every way nowadays (although I think I prefer the music from Worms 2 as well). There I could have Miniguns for which each puff had the radius of a maxed-out dynamite explosion, 45º spread, and an absurdly large clip such that you'd be firing it for like fifteen seconds straight.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Armageddon is one of my favorite games ever. We had a group of like 15 people who used to play regularly and poo poo got real once we all figured out how to ninja rope.

Custom maps, icons, etc. So much fun. :)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Finally, the finals of Crespo's Worms Tournament 2019 are set.

https://cwtsite.com/playoffs

Streams have been sparse this year - hopefully the the finals get some!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The Grand Final of the tournament, after much argument over scheduling, is scheduled to start in a few minutes (1130 GMT, 0530 Central).

Stream should be available here. Not sure about commentary. Also, you may be able to spectate if you own the game (a lobby can hold up to 7 users, including the players).

EDIT: Lobby is now full, game underway.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 9, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shadow Hog posted:

It's kind of a shame that the scheme editing, even with external tools, isn't quite as versatile as Worms 2's, especially given the game is by-and-large more solid in every way nowadays (although I think I prefer the music from Worms 2 as well). There I could have Miniguns for which each puff had the radius of a maxed-out dynamite explosion, 45º spread, and an absurdly large clip such that you'd be firing it for like fifteen seconds straight.

Oooh, so THAT'S why I could never find that feature! I could've sworn I had seen something to that effect when I played it as little over at my cousins' place.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Platforms: Windows PC (CD-ROM, Steam, and GOG), Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1, Game Boy Color

And BeOS. Sort of. The game was 99% done when the guy porting it ran out of cash, then it got leaked since it was never getting finished for a full release.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XiWTNea94

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

Oooh, so THAT'S why I could never find that feature! I could've sworn I had seen something to that effect when I played it as little over at my cousins' place.

I haven't played the game in years (last time I tried on Win7 it was still running into some compatibility issues) but I'm pretty sure this was in fact possible in Armageddon. I've certainly made some ridiculous weapons with it. Anyway, glad this thread popped up, it's one of my favorite games from that period and I'll definitely give it another go.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

This is more or less off topic but does Liero still exist in any meaningful way?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Galaxander posted:

This is more or less off topic but does Liero still exist in any meaningful way?

Going by Wikipedia, the most recent "official" update (community made, but approved by the original developer) was in 2013 (http://www.liero.be/). A fan remake that added online play along with a bunch of other stuff, OpenLieroX, had its most recent stable update in 2018, but going by its forum, the online is a ghost town. There is, however, a browser-based online-only version released in August 2019 that appears to have some players.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
After seven years of development by a couple of community members, the 3.8 patch for Worms Armageddon is finally out, bringing about waaay more scheme customization options, unlocked framerate, windowed mode, better Wine/Proton compatibility for Linux and over 300 bugfixes.

Highlights reel of the new features
War & Peace-length changelog

If you own the game on Steam, it's probably already auto-updated to the new version. Not sure what's going on with the GOG version ATM. If you still have your scratched-up CD-ROM from 1999, you can grab the patch from the bottom of this page.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for reporting it, and succinctly too! I was going to (or at least see how it looked) copy-paste the whole changelog. :xd:

BTW, remember that this is no hackjob. After Team17 stopped official updates, the current update developers Deadcode and CyberShadow were granted access to WA's source code. This is why WA is so far ahead of every other Worms game in compatibility (with this update, it now runs properly on every Windows from 95 to 10, and an unpatched 1999 CD-ROM can be played online against the latest Steam version) and features.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Synthetic Hermit posted:

This is why WA is so far ahead of every other Worms game in compatibility (with this update, it now runs properly on every Windows from 95 to 10, and an unpatched 1999 CD-ROM can be played online against the latest Steam version) and features.

what's wrong with World Party Remastered, exactly? I've heard some pretty bad things, but at a glance it seemed to work fine, so I'm sort of wondering if the beef wasn't just "it's not Armageddon and everyone already has Armageddon."

e: looked it up and yeah, essentially WWP Remastered is WWP as it came out with some compatibility fixes (but apparently not enough for everyone, I seem to have just gotten lucky), whereas Armageddon has gotten actual gameplay tweaks and bugfixes over the years, because Team17 didn't port any of the Armageddon fixes over to WWP. which is very odd.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

WWP has always been an odd duck out, it was made to essentially be Armageddon for Dreamcast and marketed for console internet, which was starting to move from novel to accessible. There's a lot of new single player stuff but otherwise not many improvements so it didn't leave a dent in the fan momentum of Armageddon on PC.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Armageddon was also on Dreamcast. I know because I had both WWP and Armageddon on my DC, and on my PC.
There's no way, besides emulation, to get Armageddon to run on OSX? Friend of mine wants to play but she only has a Mac.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Armageddon was also on Dreamcast. I know because I had both WWP and Armageddon on my DC, and on my PC.
There's no way, besides emulation, to get Armageddon to run on OSX? Friend of mine wants to play but she only has a Mac.

I know next to nothing about Macs, but it seems it should work via Boot Camp?

There's the cost of buying a copy of Windows 10, though...

As for emulation via Wine, here's the guide.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 18, 2020

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
An update on which mods (WormKit modules) still work with this update:

https://is2.4chan.org/v/1594930342297.png

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 24, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
who's playing worms. it's time to play worms

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just got Worms for my PlayStation. Come on over and we'll play some Worms!

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
If anyone would like to play WA regularly, my friend (who is also a goon) does games with friends and viewers of his Twitch channel on Fridays, usually around 9 PM EST. If you'd like to come to one of them (he's even live as of posting!), the link is https://twitch.tv/rats5

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

If anyone would like to play WA regularly, my friend (who is also a goon) does games with friends and viewers of his Twitch channel on Fridays, usually around 9 PM EST. If you'd like to come to one of them (he's even live as of posting!), the link is https://www.twitch.tv/rats5/

Neat, I'll try to check it out next week. :cheers:

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Neat, I'll try to check it out next week. :cheers:

Alright! If you want to get easily notified of when it starts too, he has a Discord server for his channel and organizing games.

https://discord.gg/dUgNRXf

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
yessss i need to play huge worms games with other people

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Just a couple more hours 'til the next Worms Friday, I'll bump this thread one last time in case it gets a couple more eyes on it :)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

Just a couple more hours 'til the next Worms Friday, I'll bump this thread one last time in case it gets a couple more eyes on it :)

Dang, I had a feeling I'd forget. Been distracted all day by the launch of New Pokémon Snap. :-|

Will definitely remember next week.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Will definitely remember next week.

Welp, I remembered, but he's not playing Worms this week. :-\ Anyone else up for a round?

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Welp, I remembered, but he's not playing Worms this week. :-\ Anyone else up for a round?

I am sorry for not doing worms this week!!! :-( I pulled the plug on Killer 7 if you wanna play now lol

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

runod posted:

I am sorry for not doing worms this week!!! :-( I pulled the plug on Killer 7 if you wanna play now lol

Sorry, had an hour available but other things to do now. Will show up again next week!

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Sorry, had an hour available but other things to do now. Will show up again next week!

all good lol. 1000% gonna play next week. do people have a preferred ruleset thats not fuckin shopper or roperace?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

runod posted:

all good lol. 1000% gonna play next week. do people have a preferred ruleset thats not fuckin shopper or roperace?

The default Intermediate scheme is preferred for normal deathmatch (leagues use a slightly altered version called Intermediate Luckless, but it only matters to teh hardcorez).

BnG is fairly popular, though the rules are a bitch to follow.

Hysteria (1 second turn time deathmatch) is surprisingly popular, even though it requires rapid thinking and rapid fingers.

Two ruleless schemes I personally enjoy are Team17 and Mole Shopper (often called just "Mole" because it doesn't use ropes).

These and more are listed in the OP. :cheers:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

Finally made it to the stream, was a good time. :cool:

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
forms wriday :)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

forms wriday :)

Too busy tonight. :-|

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

bring back the worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Crespo's Worms Tournament 2022 is currently in the group stage. Some matches have been streamed with commentary.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1610021221