Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It is quite clear, with the release of the PowerPC 604 and powerhouse workstations such as the 9500, that Wintel has no way to compete with RISC architecture in PCs. The Pentium is just not up to snuff, and the 6th generation x86 processors are looking to be a big dud!

No serious business would consider investing in what is obviously a moribund architecture. Why else would Microsoft be developing Windows NT for MIPS and PowerPC?

With Copland on the way, and new developments like BeOS, it is an incontrovertible fact that Windows 95 won't be enough to stop the rapid decline of the Wintel platform. I think in the near future, x86 will be relegated to budget and low-end systems before finally being phased out. 1996 will be an interesting year, for certain!

-p

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
GCS d- s: a- C++++ ULHA++++ P+ L+ E--- W+++ N+++ o+ w--- O---- M++ V--
Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone - RUSH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
ATM provides superior quality of service. Ethernet doesn't even have a ratified standard, why would you use something so half-baked?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

It is quite clear, with the release of the PowerPC 604 and powerhouse workstations such as the 9500, that Wintel has no way to compete with RISC architecture in PCs. The Pentium is just not up to snuff, and the 6th generation x86 processors are looking to be a big dud!

No serious business would consider investing in what is obviously a moribund architecture. Why else would Microsoft be developing Windows NT for MIPS and PowerPC?

With Copland on the way, and new developments like BeOS, it is an incontrovertible fact that Windows 95 won't be enough to stop the rapid decline of the Wintel platform. I think in the near future, x86 will be relegated to budget and low-end systems before finally being phased out. 1996 will be an interesting year, for certain!

-p

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
GCS d- s: a- C++++ ULHA++++ P+ L+ E--- W+++ N+++ o+ w--- O---- M++ V--
Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone - RUSH
lmfo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

FalseNegative posted:

ATM provides superior quality of service. Ethernet doesn't even have a ratified standard, why would you use something so half-baked?

token ring is the future

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
OS/2 Warp's true multitasking is amazing guys, gonna crush win 3.11 for sure

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Think about how many 3.5 inch floppies you would need to replace this one Zip drive.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

2002 is the year of linux on the desktop

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
CD-RW are better than garbage CD+RW discs and cheaper, too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
genesis does what nintendon’t

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the show really went downhill when mike took over. i know people say joel lacked energy but i liked that sardonic, easy-going approach.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

*buzzer sound*

sorry, it was DVDs which came in +/- variants, not CDs

try another retro argument

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SO DEMANDING posted:

*buzzer sound*

sorry, it was DVDs which came in +/- variants, not CDs

try another retro argument

goddamn, it’s been too long. I don’t even remember the difference anymore.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the show really went downhill when mike took over. i know people say joel lacked energy but i liked that sardonic, easy-going approach.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

windows 98 is better than os8 because more people had windows 98, and you could play Red Alert on windows 98 and not os8.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Soricidus posted:

genesis does what nintendon’t

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

lol same. hell i don't think i even quite figured out the difference back when it mattered, i know i bought +R for some reason and never had any issues at least.

went to microcenter today and they still have a massive shelf of burnable media, even these mini DVDs i guess for camcorders??

oh i just remembered business card CDs haha

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if youre going to post a thread with images. please include a warning for 56k users

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah, at some point, the main CPU is going to be "fast enough" to replace the GPU.

Which is what you want. A fast general-purpose CPU is more flexible. You can throw out Direct3D and OpenGL and roll your own, if you want. Not that many developers WOULD do that, but it would definitely be possible. It would let developers add new features at will, instead of waiting for an API to mature, and drivers to be written.

We're years away from that, though. 10 years, maybe.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the web is a fad that will be forgotten quickly and everyone will go back to mailing lists and newsgroups

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Then there’s cyberbusiness. We’re promised instant catalog shopping–just point and click for great deals. We’ll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet–which there isn’t–the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

polyester concept posted:

Yeah, at some point, the main CPU is going to be "fast enough" to replace the GPU.

Which is what you want. A fast general-purpose CPU is more flexible. You can throw out Direct3D and OpenGL and roll your own, if you want. Not that many developers WOULD do that, but it would definitely be possible. It would let developers add new features at will, instead of waiting for an API to mature, and drivers to be written.

We're years away from that, though. 10 years, maybe.

lol good one

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's absolutely ludicrous that we're still using a keyboard layout deliberately designed to slow us down. Switching to Dvorak will have transition costs at first as people will need to rewire their muscle memory for typing, but I've done it and my gains in WPM far outweigh whatever I may have lost during my learning period.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

why would you even want a phone like that? it’s like the worst of everything. it has no keyboard (tactile feedback is crucial) I already have an mp3 payer, and my actual camera has a much higher quality than the one on the phone. you can get a dedicated phone for much cheaper. plus it doesn’t even support flash so it’s useless for a lot of websites too

this is a stupid product

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FalseNegative posted:

legalize nortel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

imagine using a network with vampire taps lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

gently caress i forgot this was a thing

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

windows 98 is better than os8 because more people had windows 98, and you could play Red Alert on windows 98 and not os8.

yeah but it had command and conquer original

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Mac OS9 is great, sure it doesn't have protected memory but how often do I have to manage my IRQs or deal with dos-mode drivers for games? Plug and play and it works, and I hear Mac OS 10 is going to have protected memory so that solves that.

Thank god they didn't go with BeOS though, I want to keep using my old 68k version of Office.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
3dfx cards may be fast, but the visual quality is bad and made worse by the vga pass through poo poo. powervr‘s tile-based rendering and true color support are clearly the future; there’s a good reason sega chose them to power the dreamcast.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
sure, maybe at some point internal sound cards will be good enough for the low-end of the market, but for gaming you'll want a high-quality sound bank and hardware mixing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
single sideband is RUINING ham radio. What's wrong with AM? It sounds great, is easy to modulate and demodulate, and the high volume of surplus gear being shipped back from Europe now that the war's ended means that we have a large supply of tubes and transformers to build radios with. I've heard stories about these new kids just going to the store and buying a radio, plugging it in and talking to people. Where's the fun in that?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
if you compare the starfleet manuals with these technical specifications for a star destroyer, you can clearly see that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the Pentium III runs at up to 1GHz, but the 500MHz G4's Velocity Engine makes it far faster in real world tasks like applying a gaussian blur filter to an entire 6-megapixel digital photo. Also let me tell you about pipeline flushes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MCA is going to provide such better performance that clones won't be able to survive

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
don’t be ridiculous. even with magical future compiler technology, there’s no way high-level languages will ever be good enough at optimisation to be suitable for writing professional games. the inner loops at least will always be coded in handcrafted machine code, and lazy programmers who try to do it in c or pascal will be rightly mocked for the sluggish performance of their code

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the jaguar really is 64-bit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

from what I remember, DVD+R's could have their "bitset" burned or something (I forget the term), where you could tell the DVD+R media to report itself as something else, such as a DVD-ROM, so it worked better on certain things that didn't accept DVD-R media.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

from what I remember, DVD+R's could have their "bitset" burned or something (I forget the term), where you could tell the DVD+R media to report itself as something else, such as a DVD-ROM, so it worked better on certain things that didn't accept DVD-R media.

My recollection is that +r didn’t close the session, so you could add more data later. Can’t erase data like a -rw, but it’s not one-and-done like a -r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
if you use napster you are stealing from artists, it’s as simple as that. we need stronger copyright laws urgently or nobody will ever make music again.