Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Running glquake on a $5K Intergraph OpenGL workstation card made that clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-accelerator-review-step,51.html

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was a workaround for legal troubles

id software had signed agreements about supporting vendor-specific apis, but they really wanted to support 3dfx cards, since that was the new hotness at the time, and regretted prior agreements

as a workaround they made glquake, which was ostensibly a universal opengl application, but in reality was (initially) only tested on a miniature subset of opengl implemented specifically for quake by 3dfx

(obviously later glquake ran on other opengl hardware)

that makes sense, the readme for it does mention 3dfx "driver" but not glide, and such, heavily insiniuating it was a port of glquake to work on 3dfx cards, but not aimed directly at them to begin with.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iirc there was also a software renderer for quake that didn't bother spending any time doing perspective correct texture mapping so your brand new groundbreaking shooter not only could be benchmarked in seconds per frame but every surface was warped like a PS1 game

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

software quake didn't do any perspective correction for models because the triangles are so small you mostly won't notice (in fact for distant models, quake only draws the vertices and fills in gaps in big triangles by just recursively splitting them), excepting of course the big viewmodel weapon right in the middle of the screen which was real obvious

walls were a mix, quake did perspective divides for every row of pixels but within a horizontal span only did it like every 16 pixels. i think you'd be hard pressed to actually have noticed this amid all the aliasing inherent to 320x240

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

Running glquake on a $5K Intergraph OpenGL workstation card made that clear.

i have one of these at home

glquake runs at like 10 fps @ 320x240

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
fun fact - in the modern quake scene most people turn texture filtering off to try and get back to the "crisp lines" of the original software renderer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is something to be said for that idea. good art takes into account the qualities of the medium. quake's original software renderer may not be the most technically advanced solution, but the game was designed with that particular look in mind. it probably looks best -- not the sharpest or cleanest, but the nicest -- when rendered in sub-VGA resolution on an old CRT monitor.

compare to how old video game sprites look on a TV with scanlines vs emulated on a modern pixel-perfect LCD

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

slap a crt shader on top of that poo poo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bloody posted:

slap a crt shader on top of that poo poo

only if you turn everything up to 11 and make it look like a broken tv from 1957

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the reason why windows is the best linux in 2020 is that the default terminal has a crt filter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the reason why windows is the best linux in 2020 is that the default terminal has a crt filter.

it does? how do i turn it on?

i want the crt filter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

it does? how do i turn it on?

i want the crt filter

if you do indeed have 'windows terminal (preview)' press the dropdown button and then settings. this will pop up a json document in your chosen editor, because that is the hellworld we now inhabit, and there you put '"experimental.retroTerminalEffect": true' into the profile you want to look crt'y, or into defaults if you want it everywhere.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

displaying sharp text was never a strength of crts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i just installed that and all it did was make it blurry. i was expecting something more like cool-retro-term, with a bulge and glow and stuff

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, i mean, it is entirely a gimmick:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jesus that looks like dogshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean it's realistic. that is pretty much what small fonts look like on a lovely crt.

but i want it the way it is in my memory, not the way it was in real life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

but i want it the way it is in my memory, not the way it was in real life

oh man i felt this so hard

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

oh yeah, i mean, it is entirely a gimmick:

this is wrong. everyone knows crts looked like this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
weird that pic i quoted looks way better on my phone than on my work pc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
degauss, sir

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i refuse to care about any retro thing that i lived thru and thought sucked the first time around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

i refuse to care about any retro thing that i lived thru and thought sucked the first time around

yeah I’ve skipped plaid entirely this go around

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

that’s why I have no affection whatsoever for S-100, despite its place in history

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
besides, multibus is clearly the superior bus architecture, having been designed by actual engineers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

my commodore 1080 monitor owned

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

my commodore 1080 monitor owned

idgi

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Heavy_D posted:

there was a verite version of quake...

The verite suffered from its lack of a z-buffer, but, vquake was kinda cool. It had anti-aliasing (though it'd anti alias character edges through walls, so it was practically a cheat if you looked for it) and supported that cool water effect that was lacking in glquake.

The verite was actually a fully programmable gpu, I think it was actually a barely-optimized MIPS processor under the hood, it was just a bit too early and slow for that to be of benefit. The early 3D cards were pretty crazy in all the different approaches that were tried.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

WilWheaton posted:

The verite suffered from its lack of a z-buffer, but, vquake was kinda cool. It had anti-aliasing (though it'd anti alias character edges through walls, so it was practically a cheat if you looked for it) and supported that cool water effect that was lacking in glquake.

The verite was actually a fully programmable gpu, I think it was actually a barely-optimized MIPS processor under the hood, it was just a bit too early and slow for that to be of benefit. The early 3D cards were pretty crazy in all the different approaches that were tried.

I like how Nvidia failed twice (the first time absolutely, the second time with a barely passable card) and then through incompetence on 3DFX part ended up top dog in 2000.
Weird poo poo, if the Voodoo 5 had been on time or the Geforce delayed at all, it would be a different industry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SRQ posted:

I like how Nvidia failed twice (the first time absolutely, the second time with a barely passable card) and then through incompetence on 3DFX part ended up top dog in 2000.
Weird poo poo, if the Voodoo 5 had been on time or the Geforce delayed at all, it would be a different industry.
The Riva 128 was trash and everyone still wanted SLI Voodoo2 over the TNT, but TNT2 smashed everyone.

Jesus that was back when 32-bit rendering had a big performance penalty :S

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

The Riva 128 was trash and everyone still wanted SLI Voodoo2 over the TNT, but TNT2 smashed everyone.

Jesus that was back when 32-bit rendering had a big performance penalty :S

I said that tho. The 128 was trash, but passable. My dads Feb. 1998 Pentium II had one and sure it wasn't a voodoo, but I had no idea what a voodoo was and Jedi Knight 3D accelerated at all was hot poo poo. also ~AGP~.

32 bit performance penalty is something I dealt with when I demanded Deus Ex run on my powermac g4 Rage 128 pro lol. 25fps average but I dealt with it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i ran quake 3 on an original riva tnt and it wasn't as bad as you would think

good opengl support sometimes outweighed otherwise-poor performance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SRQ posted:

32 bit performance penalty is something I dealt with when I demanded Deus Ex run on my powermac g4 Rage 128 pro lol. 25fps average but I dealt with it.

i got deus ex working on a voodoo 2. incredibly smooth frame rate but blurry and lovely because voodoo2

i think deus ex was literally the last game to require 3dfx / glide to run well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i also played through deus ex several times on an 8mb rage 128. it was...manageable

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i got deus ex working on a voodoo 2. incredibly smooth frame rate but blurry and lovely because voodoo2

i think deus ex was literally the last game to require 3dfx / glide to run well
True, I remember the DX... 5? 7? renderer for it was bad but I used some hacky glide wrapper if I remember right, then a DX10 pipeline last time I played.

TNT2 still handled everything admirably but I came from gaming on a 386SX where I could literally count frames.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SRQ posted:

Deus Ex run on my powermac g4 Rage 128 pro lol. 25fps average but I dealt with it.

25fps?? that's as smooth as a movie! who could possibly need more? jeez

i mean i saw unreal tournament running at 40fps on a voodoo5 at macworld and that was sooooo smooth but, like, who can afford that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Retro Argument:

The human eye cant see over 24 fps anyway, that's why movies are at 24 fps