Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

What is Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive?

Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive (or DE4) is an indie point-and-click adventure-horror game. It was developed by Scriptwelder and published by Armor Games Studios. It's the fourth game in the "Don't Escape" series, but as far as I can tell, there is no relationship between the four games.

A cataclysmic event has cracked the moon in half, and the Earth is struggling with the environmental fallout. Everything is already dead, dying, or mutating... except David, a lone survivor having prophetic dreams. We control David through the end of the world in the post-apocalyptic land, trying to survive four days of terror and danger. David must find a way to fortify his shelter each night against new threats, and perhaps meet companions, but time is not on his side, as many actions advance the clock and bring the deadly night closer and closer.

Will David survive? Will we discover the truth behind the apocalypse, and maybe live through the effects of the sundering of the moon? That depends on us!

What kind of LP is this?

This is a blind screenshot LP, and I have never played this game. It was recommended to me by my good friend and companion Maple Leaf, who encouraged me to do this Let's Play repeatedly. You, my great audience, will follow me in this quest, giving me your valuable input to make certain decisions or take certain actions to survive each day. Some actions I'll be worrying about myself and doing what I can to keep the story moving, but there will be times where I'll ask you to vote and contribute to David's decisions. In these votes, I will also be casting a vote and explaining my reasoning, but I will go with the majority vote. Please remember, as this is a blind Let's Play, there is a no spoilers rule in effect. I want to discover the story alongside all of you!

How are the updates going to be written?

As the game is dialogue-heavy and descriptive, there will be screenshots and a lot of in-text writing. Characters speaking will have an image of their heads talking, while my own commentary will be in italics. Any narrative writing will be written without any addition or modification to the text, or between [square brackets] for tutorials. If you see a musical note icon, click on the associated link to listen to the soundtrack that plays in certain areas!

(Part 2)

Characters

David: The player character. A good man who cares for his friends and a bit of a packrat, he has prophetic dreams of deaths that will happen to him the next night.
Catherine: Catherine Mayweather, or Cate for short. The helicopter pilot that crashed into our farmhouse at the start of the second day. She used to work for Sidereal Plexus and is probably from another world. She hinted that we have already experienced cycles of awakening.
Cody: A skinny ten-year old boy. We found him at the burger restaurant on the second day and gave him food to convince him to come with us. Loves tigers.
Barry: A middle-aged man whose wife, Maggie, died on the first night. We found him at his home on the second day and helped him by burying Maggie. He died on the third day while we explored the Sidereal Plexus office. He survived on the seventh day after our warning.
Sarge: Sergeant First Class Franklin McWillis. Leader of what's left of the army. We found him and his men camping out at the restaurant on the third day. He wanted to go west through the desert. We met him again on the seventh day, but he had joined a gang of bandits. We convinced him to leave with his men.
Paul: One of Sarge's men. An engineer who gave us Storm Catchers to help us survive the storm after we helped his squadmate Steve.
Josh: One of Sarge's men. He held up on his own, but didn't want to become a deserter and leave his squad behind.
Mark: One of Sarge's men. He trusted Sarge and considered him a friend, but thought we were "crazy sect people" for suggesting a way out of Earth.
Steve: One of Sarge's men. He was wounded by bandits during a firefight before we met him, but we patched him up with some items we found.
Maggie: Barry's dead wife. She visited us in our dream during the sixth night to warn us we were dream-traveling, and asked to save Barry in this life.
Seeing Creature: A mysterious dark figure who "found" us while talking to Maggie in the sixth night's dream. We had to run from it and beware its touch, according to Maggie.
Razor: The bandit leader. We spied on him and Sarge on the seventh day discussing the plan to attack us at night. His attack failed and he was captured. We decided to spare his life and let him go.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

We fade into a strange, half-lit living room. The wind whistles through the shattered window.

David, the lone survivor we control, walks into the frame from the darkness on the right.

The game helpfully gives us our controls: left-click to interact, right-click to examine. The items we find will have their descriptions written up from this examination.

We try the sturdy-looking door, but it's locked, as David points out. So how about that window? It's dark outside...

Oh god!

With a shatter of glass, two giant spiders burst through the window and maul David into a lifeless corpse.

But it was just a dream. David is in fact alive and well, and camping out in the desert. It's a bright morning, the sun is shining, and the moon is cracked in half. Just another day in the post-apocalypse. Let's check out our campsite.

What a nightmare... It all felt so real...
(Interaction - Tent) I think this tent served me well long enough. It's too damaged to keep using it. I'll just leave it here.
(Interaction - Campfire) That campfire kept me warm through the night. There's nothing left of it now.
(Attempting to move) I'm not going anywhere without my trusty backpack.

Let's take that backpack, which acts as our inventory.

It appears we can carry up to twenty items, but only 30 kilograms (that's about 66 pounds for the American audience). The heavier our load, though, the more time certain actions will take to carry out, like climbing out of a ditch. So how about that broken moon, eh?

(Interaction - Moon) It's shattered, just like all the dreams humankind ever had...

Moving east towards the wasteland causes some spiderwebs to tangle up in the horizon...

(Interaction - Spiderweb) Are those spiderwebs on the wind? They're huge. I think my nightmare might have been more than just a dream. I still have a couple of hours, but I have to find a shelter... fast.

David has a journal! As the game helpfully points out, we can check our current progress and David's movements throughout the day here.

David just started his journal. A couple of things of interest: the year is 1996, and David thinks the remains of the moon are getting bigger every day. Could this mean the moon is on a collision course with Earth? If so, we may just be screwed from the get-go.

But David has to get moving. Staying put means no fresh food or water, and no shelter for the night. So let's head east into the wasteland.

We don't get far before we run into some ruins in the distance, and closer, a great wall spanning the desert.

(Interaction - Ruins) Another ruin slowly swallowed by the desert.

Let's approach that wall. It seems there's an outhouse or shed and a hole in the wall we can go through. Let's check it out.

I don't have time to walk around this wall. There's gotta be a faster way to get to the other side.

[You will be warned each time before that happens. When you find a hiding place and prepare it for the night, use the clock icon to finish the current day.]

Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive has a clock mechanic. As the game points out, some actions we can take use up time, and how much time we spend depends on what we're doing. For the moment, I'll be taking decisions on my own about using up time, but later on, I'll give the thread leave to make decisions for me. So how about that hole, David? Can you fit through?

(Interaction - Hole) If only that hole was a bit larger I could squeeze through to the other side of that wall...

Let's check out that wooden fence.

You bet we're taking that wooden pole out!

A solid wooden pole (1 kg). Quite sturdy looking round pole.

How about the shed?

Hello there, that's a sledgehammer head.

A sledgehammer head (15 kg). A heavy hammer head. Useless without a handle.

By clicking on one item and then using it on another... We can combine those two items!

A sledgehammer (16 kg). A big, heavy hammer.

The only way through is by widening the hole! Get to work, David.

David swings the makeshift hammer three times, widening the hole enough for him to go through.

We are through the wall, but as we continue to walk east...

Well, that sucks. The sledgehammer could have come in handy. But that's another point this game is making: we can't carry everything we want. Sometimes we'll have to leave things behind. Thankfully they'll stay where we left them. In this case, though, the sledgehammer will be left behind in the sands.

And as we keep heading east, the game tells us we have to march on. And so... We do.

Main Menu

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 26, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Never heard of this, seems interesting.

David, you are the worst point and click protagonist, you don't leave things behind just because you've finished with them and will never need them again, geez.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
This game is pretty great, you could probably put a link to the music though, it's very nice to listen to.

Black Robe posted:

Never heard of this, seems interesting.

David, you are the worst point and click protagonist, you don't leave things behind just because you've finished with them and will never need them again, geez.

To be fair, most point and click protagonists have infinite bags of holding whereas David only can carry so much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kinda interested to see where this is going. I like the setting so far.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I've already played through this entire series, but I'll happily follow along with an LP. Don't Escape is so neat, it really deserves more attention.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's nice to see this style of game show up in current times. Looking forward to seeing how all this plays out, and how many deaths we can rack up.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Glad to see this getting LP'd - big fan of the series since the flash game days, looking forward to more people getting to see it. (Also a bit sad you're not going with the "traditional" font, but that's probably for the best for screenshots.)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Koorisch posted:

This game is pretty great, you could probably put a link to the music though, it's very nice to listen to.
I'll update the first episode with music links appropriately when I get home!

Nick Buntline posted:

Glad to see this getting LP'd - big fan of the series since the flash game days, looking forward to more people getting to see it. (Also a bit sad you're not going with the "traditional" font, but that's probably for the best for screenshots.)
Yeah, the traditional pixel font was way too blocky for legibility when the screenshots were shrunk, sorry!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
This game and series are totally new to me. Really like the style so far, and the concept is intriguing. Hopefully we can spare David a multitude of King’s Quest deaths over his four-day adventure.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Investigation

After hiking through the wasteland, David voices what I'm thinking. I'm sure this place could serve as a shelter. What about that sign?

A gas station 1.5 miles away. Unless it's been picked clean by other survivors, we should find something of use there.

David forestalls my attempts at exploring away from the house, though. So let's walk up to that house!

It looks in good shape to me!

The house has a path leading to the front door, and one to the rear. But can we enter it?

(Interaction - Door) It's locked.
(Interaction - Window) I have to break that glass if I want to get inside.

Well, bummer. I guess David isn't feeling up to using his elbow to smash the glass, and breaking the door down would weaken this place as a shelter. Let's follow that path!

The back of the house has a rear door, and the sad skeleton of a greenhouse, held together with rotten planks and rusty nails.

(Interaction - Door) It's locked.
(Interaction - Greenhouse) I could recycle some of the nails that hold this greenhouse together, but I need a tool for that.

So the back door is also locked, and we have a secondary objective: get some nails. I bet they're bound to be important. Also, there's something lying on the greenhouse.

A water sprayer (0.5 kg). It could be used to spray plants with water, if I didn't have better things to do. And if I had any plants.

Okay, maybe if we can fill this up with gas or something, and it could serve as a weapon?

We continue following the path and find a bright-red barn and tractor. There's also an irrigation pipeline running out of the barn and into the fields beyond.

(Interaction - Tractor) Months spent out in the open took its toll on this tractor. It's completely ruined. There isn't even anything to salvage.
(Interaction - Water irrigation system) These pipes seem to cover a lot of area, surrounding the house with the irrigation system.

The barn itself seems sturdy enough, and the machinery looks functional. There's a pickup truck in here, and a pipe, too. I am getting some ideas for this pipe.

A short pipe (1 kg). A short, metal pipe.

(Trying to interact with anything) I should find a way to get into that house before I start fiddling with things in here.

I guess the tutorial is still restricting my exploration abilities. I can't mess with anything here, with the exception of the car's trunk.

Getting some serious Fallout 2 vibes off the fact we can store items in the car. I bet that if we fix it up we'll be able to drive it around with our stuff in it. I also noticed is a haystack covering the pipes... Maybe there's a needle in there.

Kicking the haystack a few times reveals the pipe running under it, but as David puts it, it's not exactly in working order right now. Anyway, now that we have a metal pipe, I figure we can smash the house window and get inside.

With a mighty swing, David smashes the glass of the window. He brushes away the remnants of the glass clinging to the frame too. Nice touch.

Inside

We enter the house through the window, but I'll be damned if it isn't a ringer for the dream we had in which David got turned into spider chow.

This place looks abandoned... Staying here might be a good idea, but I only have a few hours to convert this ruin into a fortress before my nightmare catches up with me. I should look around and explore. That road sign might be a good start.

Next order of business is exploring this house, and given that David says we should explore, the stuff in the barn is probably active, too. Our journal got updated, so let's give that a read.

7:53 am: I found an abandoned house that looks like a good place to stay... I should go out, explore down the road and look for something to fortify this place with...

(Interaction - Photo) This photo of an old lady was taken years ago. The colors have faded a bit, but her warm smile is still clearly visible.
(Interaction - Kindling basket) The kindling box is empty.
(Interaction - Fireplace) The fireplace is empty. Only some ashes from previous uses still scattered all around in it. I also think the chimney is clogged. I don't feel any air draft. That's actually good news... at least for now.

[You can also just drop them on the ground - they will not disappear.]

This storage chest lets us store items in it, as the game helpfully points out. Since we only have a carrying capacity of 30 kg, being able to throw stuff we don't need in here will help us travel light. There's something in here, so let's grab it.

A hammer with a broken handle (1.8 kg). It's useless until I fix it somehow. World seems to be full of broken hammers.

Looks like this is everything in the living room. Let's head to the back of the house.

What a nice little kitchen space. Really welcoming and feels like a home.

(Interaction - Oven, closed) I've opened the oven. I've also switched it on, but nothing happened. There's no power.
(Interaction - Oven, open) I've closed the oven and switched it off.
(Interaction - Fridge) The fridge is empty. After such a long time without electricity, I'm relieved to know that.

Hanging on the rack, and glinting in the sunlight, is a set of house keys! Score! We can unlock the doors... but shouldn't forget to lock them again afterwards, just in case. Since the kitchen is all explored, time to go upstairs.

House keys (0.1 kg). A set of house keys, for both front and back doors.

The upstairs of the house looks like it served as a bedroom and office space. Of note is that the window here is broken, so maybe we should fix that later. There's also a ladder leading up to a ceiling hatch to what I'm guessing is an attic.

(Interaction - Window) A nice view around the wasteland, with the Moon hanging above like an executioner's axe.

It's locked, and I can't find any means of opening it.
(Item - House keys on ceiling hatch) There is no lock in that hatch. I think it might jammed rather than locked. Nothing I can do about it for now.

Oh well. Maybe we can use some sort of tool on it later, since David can't reach the handle or shove the door open. But we can still check out that desk with the broken computer and stack of papers next to it.

(Interaction - Papers) There was a paper clip holding several sheets of paper together. The documents themselves don't hold any useful information. Just some invoices for farming equipment.

A paperclip (0 kg). It looks really useful. I'm sure it would be helpful if I was writing a letter.
A stack of documents (0.5 kg). Some financial documents, invoices and bills, mostly for farming equipment.

(Interaction - Computer) The screen is all cracked and the case seems partially burnt. This PC won't work.

drat! Now how is David going to goon it up if he can't lounge in front of a screen all day? Well, that's all there is to look at in this area, but there is a bathroom to the left.

The bathroom looks functional. The window here is also broken, though. How did that happen to both upper floor windows and not the ground floor one?

(Interaction - Mirror 1) You talking to me?
(Interaction - Mirror 2) Mirror, mirror, here I stand. Who is the fairest in the land? Probably not me.
(Interaction - Mirror 3) That's me. I should probably wash myself. If only I had the time...
(Interaction - Mirror 4) I can see each and every day spent on the wasteland reflected in this face.
(Interaction - Mirror 5) This mirror has probably seen better looking faces.
(Interaction - Bathtub) There's no time to take a bath, unfortunately.

Between referencing Taxi Driver's Travis Bickle and not taking literally five minutes to wash himself, I think it's official, guys. David is a goon. Let's head back to the barn and wallow more in our own filth.

Investigation

Interacting with the generator gives us this. We can pull on the starting cord but David says it's out of fuel. Leaving it on "off" and trying pull the cord has David say we need an output first.

(Interaction - Water pump and irrigation control system) It seems to be dead. I think it's powered by that big generator next to it.
(Interaction - Pestice inlet) I could use this to add something to the water that will be pumped to the sprinklers.

Fuel's what we need, and I'm guessing that the oven in the house will turn on if we have the generator running with the output on "house." The irrigation system could also serve as a sort of insect deterrent if we had some pesticide, I guess. So what about the car?

Step one to being a mechanic: know your ride. Yes, let's investigate the car.

Well, the car could be started, I guess. But it doesn't look very good. Obviously a wheel is missing. The ignition coil is busted. It has no fuel.

To do: find a spare wheel, an ignition coil, and fuel.

Okay, given all that we have on hand and need for the day, I figured I'd leave the next step to you, goons. I left behind the papers and water sprayer in the house's storage chest (probably won't need those), but I'm taking the house keys, short pipe, hammer with a broken handle, and paperclip for the upcoming trek. The question is, what way out of the house shall we explore first: east or west?

Clicking on either direction brings up this map. As you can see, it's 8:08 am, and we have 11 hours and 52 minutes before night falls.

To the east is a roadblock, with a 15 minute travel time. Heading that way could probably net us an ignition coil, and it also appears to be a dead end, so we could turn right back around if we don't find anything.

To the west is a destroyed bridge, with a 15 minute travel time. The gas station is beyond here, and that's probably where we'll find plenty of the supplies we need to survive the first night, as well as gas, obviously.

:siren: Please vote on the way we should go. I personally favor going east, myself, because if a game wants you to go one way, any real explorer goes the other, right? Also, I think 30 minutes to go and come back to the house, and then keep going west, is a fair exchange of time.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 14, 2019

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

this hut is actually the setting of the first Don't Escape

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, east sounds like it makes sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Go east, young man

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I say go west first. Gas stations tend to also double as convenience stores. We might be able to get more than just gas there.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 4, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Go east, we might be able to jack an ignition coil and siphon some gas. Then we can use the truck to go to the gas station and get some supplies.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Definitely go east. There's no possible way spending half an hour plus whatever time it takes to search things there can bite us in the rear end.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
East it is.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nth-ing east.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Go left

Um... I mean east of course!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

East.

Shei-kun posted:

Definitely go east. There's no possible way spending half an hour plus whatever time it takes to search things there can bite us in the rear end.
Yep. Just waiting for us to be exactly 29 minutes short at the end of the day.

ETA: Rechecking the dream sequence update (prophecy?), we should also try to find a board or something to block the now shattered downstairs window so we don’t get attacked by Shelob and company overnight.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 6, 2019

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

With the exception of Maple Leaf's "west" vote, everyone says "east," so east we'll go! An update will be up a little later this week.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Almost everyone said to head east, so let's shake a leg and check out that roadblock!

Wasteland

Oh god, those corpses are covered in spiderwebs. It looks like these men put up a fight. But they didn't stand a chance in the open.

This is a grisly scene for sure. Let's see if the bodies have anything of value on them, they won't need it anymore.

(Interaction - Left corpse) There are some bite marks on its skin.

(Interaction - Right corpse) There is a small leaflet tucked between the folds of the ripped clothes.

Scent-repellents would be ideal to fortify the farmhouse, but if this "James" guy is dead, then we'll have to find his notes and get the repellent ourselves. On the bright side, there's a red wrench just sitting next to the right corpse. It was probably used to fend off the spiders, but not to any effect.

(Interaction - Wrench) Let's hope it will be more useful to me than it was to them.

A wrench (1 kg). A heavy but handy tool.

(Interaction - Car) I have to take a closer look to check out this vehicle.

We can swing 15 minutes to check if this car has anything of use.

The car is busted, so it's not going anywhere. One part that seems to be fine is the ignition coil, but getting it out won't be easy. I could remove the ignition coil from this car, but I need an adjustable wrench to do that.

Good thing we just found one lying five feet away, then!

(Item - Wrench on car) Well, let's see...

drat, does it really take that long to work off an ignition coil with a wrench? Sure, let's do it. The way I see it, if we get the car running, we'll save time driving distances rather than walking them.

I've removed the ignition coil from the car.

An ignition coil (0.2 kg). An ignition coil, crucial to start a car's engine.

(Interaction - Car) There is nothing useful left here.

So that's one item on the checklist for fixing that red pickup, but I see more cars in the distance up ahead.

A pest control truck would be ideal to get some pesticides or scent-repellents, right? Even with all the spiderwebs around...

(Interaction - Truck) The back door is locked.
(Item - House keys on truck) These house keys won't fit. I'll need to break it open.
(Item - Pipe on truck) The pipe was good for smashing windows, but it's too broad to fit between the door and the rest of the truck.

I'm guessing we'll need a crowbar or some other thin metal tool to jimmy the truck door open. That seems to be everything we can interact with here, so it's back to the house for now. We took about an hour and a half messing around going east, but the wrench and ignition coil alone were worth it.

Investigation

Let's install that coil in the pickup before going west.

I've installed a part.

Now, to the bridge!

Wasteland

This isn't good. I mean, we knew it was out, but this means that we need to go through the ravine every time we want to cross it. But there are a few things to check out here.

(Interaction - Planks) I can't take those planks with me, but they could probably be useful right here by the bridge if I had the proper tools...
(Interaction - Wrecked car) This car has been wrecked beyond repair. Maybe I could take its wheel off if I had a wrench... which I happen to have!

It's a drat good thing we followed the mantra of "when a game says one way, go the other." Let's pop that wheel off.

Apart from almost falling off the cliff once, all went well. I got the wheel.

A car wheel (2.5 kg). A car wheel taken from a wrecked pickup truck.

Two-point-five kilos is way too light for a wheel, but whatever. I think it's safe to leave the wheel here, since I want to save my backpack space for whatever we may find at the gas station.

Three minutes to cross the ravine? It could just be perception wonking me out but I'm sure I could cross that in less than a minute. On we go!

After climbing to the other side, the ten-minute walk to the gas station is simple enough.

Exploration

"Oh yeah, this is totally an inviting and safe place to explore," David's facial expression is saying. Let's check out the gas station shop. I just hope we don't come across any spiders.

Well, crap.

(Interaction - Spider) It hasn't noticed me yet. I'd rather keep it that way.
(Trying to interact with anything) I don't want to get anywhere near that spider.

There are so many goodies in this room, but we need to get rid of this spider somehow. We'll come back later... so long as it doesn't have a buddy hanging around looking for fresh meat to munch on. The gas station shop has two doors, so let's head back outside and check out the rear room.

No spiders here, but not much to loot, either, other than plastic wrap, window nets, and metal bars. I bet these would work wonders to block spiders from entering through the broken windows in the farmhouse. There is also a pile of plates.

A plastic wrap (4 kg). A roll of plastic wrap.
A window net (4 kg). A strong and durable window net.
Metal bars (9 kg). A set of strong metal bars. The gaps between the bars are quite large.

(Interaction - Plates) Breaking this pile of plates would sure make a lot of noise.

I guess the idea here is to find a way to break the plates to distract the spider, but I'm holding off on taking any of these window-covering candidates yet. They are really heavy, and I think we may need to leave what material we use for the windows up to a vote. Speaking of windows, there is one facing the parking lot of the gas station, so let's head there.

A small rock lies on the ground, and a big fuel truck tanker is just chilling out here. Time to get a pet rock!

A small rock (1 kg). A small, round rock.

(Interaction - Fuel valves) There is a valve from which the fuel should flow. But how do I open it?

In attempting to use the wrench on the fuel valves, David succeeds in opening them, but without a container of some sort the fuel just spills on the ground. Now, I think it's time to say good-bye to the pet rock. It came from the earth, and to the earth it must return.

A moment after chucking the rock against the pile of plates, the spider comes to check out the noise, and David automatically turns around and leaves the back room.

(Interaction - Rear door to gas station shop) The spider is probably still there. I don't want to come anywhere near it...

David overrides my suicidal tendencies to check out the rear room again. Let's check out the front of the gas station, unimpeded by the eight-legged monstrosity.

Much, much better. Let's grab what we can, or at least what makes sense to loot for now. I see a hunting rifle on the ground, a pile of cash on the ground, a gas canister, and more! First things first, gimme that rifle.

A rifle (5 kg). A hunting rifle. It has 6 bullets.

10:36 am: I have a hunting rifle and some bullets. Not a perfect weapon against those bastards, but it will probably help. What else can I do to prepare?

(Interaction - Trinket stand) There is a lighter here that could be useful.

A lighter (0 kg). It's still working.

(Interaction - Cash) Well, you never know. Maybe it's going to be worth something again someday.

A wad of cash (0.1 kg). A wad of pretty much useless pieces of paper.

(Interaction - Newspaper and magazine stand) A newspaper from long ago sits in the magazine stand.

Yikes. The moon's explosion is most definitely the corporation's fault. I doubt that a single meteor could do such catastrophic damage and smash the moon to rubble without it being big enough to get picked up by science teams around the world, even in 1996.

Upon grabbing the bag of charcoal, the game strongly hints we won't need it. Whatever, we can throw it in the storage box, or maybe use it to light a fire? Or maybe that's a bad idea, given the flue is broken. In either case, no harm came from being a bit of a pack rat.

A bag of charcoal (10 kg). A bag full of barbecue charcoal.

(Interaction - Gas canister) It's empty. Well, the container might be useful.

An empty gas canister (1 kg). An empty canister.

The crowbar is stuck in the cash register and seems to be wedged firm in there. Nothing to be done but take the time to get it out, because I want to bust into that pest control truck. Pray the spider doesn't get bored checking out the back room within that time, though.

A crowbar (1.5 kg). A sturdy, handy tool that can be used to break things.

(Interaction - Corpse) This man is dead. Covered with webs and partially eaten. I don't want to touch him.

That seems to be everything in the room, and nothing useful is left in the trinket stand. Our inventory is mighty cluttered right now, so I think I'll leave behind the charcoal, especially since we need the space for fuel. Given that both the pickup truck and generator need gas, we may have to do two trips here, or more, if we want to get all the window stuff. Let's just leave for now--

Aaahhh! The spider found us! David falls on his rump as the arachnid advances towards him... We have to defend ourselves!

Use hunting rifle on spider!

Bang! Thanks to many goony sessions of Quake, David takes a quick snapshot with the rifle, wounding the spider as it launches itself at him. Spouting poisonous green blood through its new orifice, the spider retreats! We have five bullets left, but if more than that number of spiders attacks us in the night, we'll be in trouble.

And now that David has gotten his first taste of spider blood, time to get some gas as our prize.

I use the gas container on the gas valves, and David sets it down under one of them. Then, using the wrench on the valves, we get some precious, precious gas pouring in there.

A full gas canister (10 kg). A canister full of fuel.

That's about everything we can grab right now from the gas station. We're carrying 20.5 kg of stuff, so let's pop over to the farmhouse and drop some stuff off.

Wasteland

Jeez! All that weight in the bag is really hampering David's climbing ability. Getting the bridge fixed up is probably going to save us a lot of time.

On my way over to pick up the wheel I left behind, I noticed a small spade with a strong wooden handle on the back of the truck. David goes to grab it, but rather than take it out like I expected he snaps the handle off.

A wooden handle (0.2 kg). It's a small wooden handle.

It's all good, though, because it turns out this handle is a perfect fit for that broken hammer we've been lugging around. I combine the two items and presto, a new hammer!

A hammer (2 kg). Small, robust, and almost completely useless without nails.

(Item - Hammer on planks) I need nails to do this.

Yeah, I figured we couldn't just bang the planks with the hammer, cathartic as that could have been. Luckily, I recall the greenhouse has some nails, so let's head home and do a little inventory shuffling.

Investigation

But first, time to fix the car and gas it up! Slap that wheel on!

I've installed a part.

I've fueled the car.

Cool, now we can use the car whenever we want. Driving to the gas station or any other place will be way, way faster than walking there.

By using the crowbar on the greenhouse's supports, we get the option of getting some nails. Sure, let's get as many as we can!

David can rip all four supports down, but trying to use the crowbar further just results in him telling us there are only rotten planks left.

Broken planks (2.5 kg). A stack of broken planks. Withered and rotten, they don't make for good building material.
A handful of nails (0.1 kg). Some are bent, some are rusty, but probably could be used to, well, nail stuff.

Might as well use our new ride to get around in style!

Wasteland

We need to bust down that pest control truck's doors, and the crowbar does the job neatly.

There's some stuff to look at here. We have a pair of bear traps and four lockers. I wager those bear traps will be a good defense against the spider menace, so I'll be taking both.

A bear trap (5 kg). It looks dangerous.

The first locker has some pesticide cans, the second locker was locked but I prised it open with the crowbar, the third is empty, and the fourth has a note. Before we touch anything else we should read what that note says.

A pest control truck sticky note (0 kg).

Okay. We did check out those bite marks from that body earlier, and looking back, I counted six teeth: two big ones in the center, and two small ones flanking both sides of the big teeth. According to the note, repellent B-36 is our best bet.

A can labeled "B-36" (0.5 kg). It seems to be some sort of aromatic repellent.

That second locker had some duct tape, nice!

Duct tape (0.1 kg). Water resistant, strong and durable. They say there isn't a thing that can't be repaired by using a lot of duct tape. If it can't be repaired you're probably not using enough duct tape.

And that's all the truck had. I'll head back home with our truck and dump the lot in the storage chest. Next stop is the ravine, because I want to fix that bridge up.

drat, so much for using the car to drive around the ravine. Still, for one set of nails we get a whole bridge we can walk over? I'll gladly invest the time on this now.

David's not a bad handyman, but I'd like to strengthen this bridge up for our car.

While spending two hours to do this seems like overkill, I can't drive through the ravine with the car. I don't know how much more of our day we'll need to spend scavenging, but the car is a huge timesaver, so long as the gas doesn't run out from that tanker, that is.

Beautiful. I just hope the planks actually hold up. Imagine using the rotten planks from the greenhouse for this job. We'd have wrecked our ride.

Exploration

I loot the gas station's window netting, plastic wraps, and metal bars, one for each broken window, and chuck them in the trunk of the car. Next step is to gas up our generator, so I head back home and do so.

Investigation

I've fueled the generator. Now I just have to start it.

Inside

After one more run to the gas station to top off our gas container again and pick up the charcoal, I transfer everything we have from the car to the storage container. Given we took absolutely everything not nailed down, as well as what was by taking the nails too, the next step is fortifying the place. I try to load up the water sprayer with the repellent we got.

(Item - B-36 can on water sprayer) Interesting idea, but I should find a way to spray this thing a lot more.

Investigation

I figure that what I need to do is load up the irrigation system with the B-36 can by placing it on the pesticide inlet, and I do so. To fix up the broken pipe, I'll use some plastic wrap with duct tape to prevent leakage. Does my idea pan out?

(Item - Plastic wrap on pipes) This won't make a tight enough seal.

Huh, okay. Then let's do the next best thing: our handy-dandy roll of duct tape!

Go wild, David. Use plenty of duct tape, and if in doubt, use even more.

I've put enough duct tape here to make it last until the end of time. Well, until Thursday, that is.

Things are looking up! Since the irrigation system is good to go, the next step is to fire up the generator with power going to the water pump.

Come on, David. Pull that cord like you mean it!

Come on, start already!

And one more pull...

Finally! It's running!

Upon checking out the water irrigation system, I'm struck by the complexity here. I'm guessing we'll need "mist mode" to spread the pheromones far and wide, rather than poisoning the groundwater...

(Interaction - Standby button) I want to switch it on, not off.
(Interaction - Ground watering button) There is no need to water the ground. It's not like I'll grow any crops here anyway.
(Interaction - Overnight mist spray irrigation button) This should cause the night sky to be soaked with dense mist.

Clicking on the sprinkler buttons raises or lowers the efficiency of our irrigation. This is the classic minigame where pushing one of the buttons on or off activates that button and any adjacent to it, so after fooling around with the puzzle a bit, I manage to light up all the sprinklers for maximum efficiency. We won't get many spiders chasing after us now!

04:19 pm: I scheduled the water sprinklers to put out a wall of mist with some extra chemical solution. Is there anything else I can do?

Inside

The last thing I think we need to do is cover up the windows and set up bear traps in front of our doors. Maybe get a fire going, I don't know.

(Item - Bag of charcoal on fireplace) I don't think lighting a fire is my priority now.
(Item - Bag of charcoal on kindling box) I don't have to put any fuel in the kindling box. I don't plan on lighting a fire... for now.

Well, I don't want to risk diverting power from the water pump to the house for lighting, at any rate. But now I think it's time for us to convene the goon council for David's continued health before moving on! As far as I can tell, there's only one more thing that needs doing, and that's putting up protection on our windows (and maybe doors), as well as dispatching the bear traps. There are three votes for you to consider today.

:siren: First, what type of protection should we use in our windows: metal bars, window netting, or plastic wrap? Also, how should we secure them to the windows? Given that we're facing giant spiders, I want to be safe and put up metal bars, because I'm sure that window netting isn't strong enough, and plastic wrap... will most definitely not work and get us killed horribly.

:siren: Second, what weapon shall we arm ourselves with for the night when we have finished fortifying the place? No contest here: I want to cradle that hunting rifle like it's my own baby. We could carry something else, like the wrench, the hammer, maybe trying to rig up something with the water sprayer and gas, or even go barehanded, but again, we're facing giant spiders here. Plus, we've already seen that one well-placed bullet, while it won't necessarily kill the spiders, will scare them off.

:siren: Third, what shall we name our car? I was thinking something like Big Red, but whatever name sounds cool and most-liked, I'll take!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 18, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I vote Metal bars cause netting seems rather useless to us
Rifle + wrench +water sprayer + gas +lighter this will give us range, a flamethrower and maybe a way to repair the metal bars
Clifford cause he's Big and Red :3:
I vote we leave the hammer out of our inventory when night falls.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing Clifford as the car's name :3:

I suppose metal bars though I'm concerned about the spaces between them being 'quite large'... if one of those spiders has babies we're FUBAR'd. Not sure why we can't put bars on the outside and netting inside, time constraints maybe. I also don't know how we'll fix them to the windows, nails and maybe duct tape I guess (that's how I fix most things).

Makeshift flamethrower sounds hideously dangerous so obviously we should do it. That plus the rifle. Keep either the wrench or the hammer as well for emergency melee panic button if we have inventory space, leave the other one somewhere we have a chance of getting to it quickly.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Clifford cause he's Big and Red :3:
:perfect:

Windows: I'm going to go against the grain and go for netting, because the "large gaps in the metal bars" thing seems like a trap. Unless we can have the option to use multiple of them, in which case use the metal bars backed by netting.

Weapon: Makeshift flamethrower (if that's a real option), hunting rifle if not. We already saw what happened to the last poor bastard who tried to fight giant spiders with a wrench and I can't imagine a hammer would be any better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Interesting little game. I played a bunch of scriptwelder's stuff, including the first 3 don't escape games, but not this one. (Armorgames had a lot of great flash games when they were at their peak)

Metal bars. A smaller spider crawling through seems like a lesser evil than a stronger one bursting through the netting and being followed by every other spider.

e: Oh, make sure to lock all doors. Forgetting to lock the door was a huge deal in Don't Escape 1.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 9, 2019

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Clifford is perfect.

I'm pretty sure you can affix the metal bars to the windows with the nails, and then put the plastic wrap over top of them with the duct tape. I don't imagine it's a hugely efficient way of using plastic wrap and duct tape, but hell, every little bit helps.

And for protection, use your hunting rifle on the Eight Legged Freaks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Metal, Clifford and no opinion on weapon(s).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

1. I really think the netting is a better idea for the windows, due to the large gaps.
2. I'm unsure about the weapon; conserving ammo could be extremely important, but it won't do us any good if we die. The flamethrower idea could end up burning our shelter down, and melee sounds really dangerous... I guess I'll go with the rifle for my choice.
3. As for the car, I'll jump on the :bandwagon: and go with Clifford.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We have three open windows and three types of screen. In the event you can't do the same for all, Metal downstairs (after all, may be more than just spiders to worry about, and that will be effective against 2 legged predators), Plastic in the bathroom (we can hopefully close and lock that door to buy time in case a spider climbs upstairs and busts through), and mesh wherever I am forgetting. If we can use the same for all, Metal. Like I said, there may be more than just spiders to antagonize us

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Can you not layer it?

Metal, Net and Plastic, better safe than sorry.

If not Metal and Netting are a must. Metal because the spiders and Netting because they said mutant bugs not giant bugs so I fully expect some regular sized insect abomination to surprise us at night.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I like the layering idea, but I would prioritize netting and then metal bars. Those are big spiders but they can contort their bodies and slip through gaps in the bars like their smaller cousins.

When in doubt, always create a makeshift flamethrower.

I'm sure Clifford will win but for our spider-smashin' truck I like Red Fox.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm guessing that if we survive the night, we'll get a dream hinting at what we'll need to defend against on Night 2.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

So by my counting, the votes were for metal bars for the windows (though a few people recommended netting or layering with netting), the creation and use of a flamethrower for nighttime protection if a rifle isn't possible, and Clifford will be our pickup's name, as suggested by SSNeoman! With all that said, it's time to get to work setting up for the night.

Inside

(Item - Metal bars on windows) It's just hanging there. I still should do something to attach it to the wall around the window.

So, slapping the metal bars on the windows alone isn't enough, but before we do something like wrap them up with duct tape, let's see if I can't layer this bad boy.

(Item - Window netting or plastic wrap on window with metal bars) There is something else in the window. I should remove it first.

Ah well. No layering of protective covering here. Maybe if the spiders were smaller, or if we were facing radioactive mosquitos or something, we could use the netting and plastic with the metal bars. But as it is, only the metal bars can stay. What about those rotten planks we got from the greenhouse? Could they at least serve as padding or extra debris to hold back the spiders?

(Item - Rotten planks on window) Those planks are too rotten and fragile to be of any use here.

Well, I have no idea what we can use these for, so back in the storage bin they go. Now, how to affix the metal bars properly...

(Item - Nails on window) Throwing nails at it won't work. I need a hammer.

We only have two handfuls of nails to spare, but I'm not sure if we will need them in the future. Hammering the nails alone may not do the job of holding back a jumping giant spider, either. Goons Black Robe and Maple Leaf recommended using the nails and maybe duct tape, too, but there's a problem. We have three windows to worry about, and only two sets of nails. So instead of making that decision now, let's turn to another potential tool: making a flamethrower with the water sprayer! The idea would be to strap the lighter on the water sprayer, if the game allows it. Will it blend?

(Item - Duct tape on water sprayer) I could use it to tape something to the water sprayer, but what should I tape?
(Item - Lighter on water sprayer) Using some duct tape, I've attached the lighter to the barrel of the water sprayer.

An empty flamethrower (0.5 kg). A water sprayer turned into a flamethrower. It just lacks fuel.

(Item - Fuel canister on empty flamethrower) I poured fuel into the water sprayer's container. I now have a working flamethrower. It will probably break really fast, but it's better than nothing.

A flamethrower (5 kg). A water sprayer turned into a flamethrower. It could be used as a weapon. I'd better hold on to it.

04:19 pm: I built a makeshift flamethrower. Might come in handy in case they get inside the house.

Yes, YES! I can feel my inner pyro being channeled! Now we just need a gas mask and full-body jumpsuit in RED or BLU colors. I'm a little scared of the comment that it'll "break really fast," but if we can survive the night, the flamethrower will have done its job. I'm more confident now. So how should we protect our window?

Well, the game seems to offer both choices. I think what I'll do is hammer on the nails first, and then reinforce it with duct tape if possible. The spiders probably (and that's a big probably) can't jump high enough to break through the second floor windows, but let's be safe, shall we?

04:39 pm: I installed iron bars in one of the windows. Will this be enough?

No, probably not. Out of curiosity, can we recycle those nails? Let's grab the crowbar and try it out...

Cool, we can get them back if necessary. For now I'll say "no." Now to reinforce with duct tape, if possible.

Oh yes baby, tie me up, tie me down! Atame!

Mmhmm, mmhmm, that is looking mighty solid. Metal bars plus nails, plus duct tape holding it all together? So far, so good. Let's do the same thing to the computer room window, just in case those spiders pull an Air Jordan (Air Bud? Air Arachnid?) and try to ambush us before we can hear them coming. As to the final window in the bathroom, just duct tape should do.

05:19 pm: I installed iron bars in some of the windows. Will this be enough?

05:59 pm: I installed iron bars in all of the windows. Will this be enough?

Our shelter is looking more like a fortress now, but I'm regretting making the car-capable bridge so early. We could have used that third set of nails to reinforce the bathroom, but what's done is done. With only two hours and a minute left to go, I'll take my chances with one of the windows not being completely up to scratch. Before we drop any bear traps though, I run back to the gas station and top off on fuel while we still have daylight, and I go on foot. On doing so I realized I left the wrench back home, so I ran back, got it, and returned, with only 21 minutes left on the clock. Oops! And now... the bear traps! David didn't let me slap on anything on the doors themselves, so the bear traps will serve as a second layer of defense if the locks break.

07:39 pm: I placed a trap inside the house. Can I improve my chances somehow?

07:39 pm: I placed two traps inside the house. Can I improve my chances somehow?

You know, I honestly can't think of anything else we can do. We set up the traps, we prepped the irrigation system, we (almost fully) fortified the windows, made a freakin' flamethrower, and locked the doors. Maybe it's time to settle in for the night?

Oh man, I'm getting chills. The vote was for the flamethrower, so let's light a match, David! Arm yourself with the flamethrower! Mmmmph mmmph mmmmmmmph MMMMMMPH!

Long Nights

You found a hiding place in an abandoned farmhouse...

Despite being old and faulty, the sprinklers worked perfectly, fully covering the air above the fields with a dense mist. The spiders were not afraid of water at all... However, there was a strong repellent mixed with the water. It scared off 6 spiders.

Good thing we got the right repellent. If I had gotten any of the others we'd have had a much bigger problem.

I'm surprised the game doesn't mention the fact the doors were locked, but maybe if I had left them unlocked it would have meant spiders getting inside anyway.

Out of 5 spiders that tried to enter the house through that window, 5 were stopped.

Hell yeah! Nails and duct tape really fortified that sucker.

Out of 5 spiders that tried to enter the house through that window, 5 were stopped.

What the hell, giant spiders CAN jump! Good thing I went the extra mile and barred up the computer room's window, but... as to the bathroom window...

Out of 4 spiders that tried to enter the house through that window, 3 were stopped. The rest broke inside, destroying the blockade. They got in... 1 giant spider entered the house.

Oh nooooooo! drat you, traffic efficiency! If only I had used my legs more than my car, we would have had the nails needed to completely shut out the spiders! Now it's up to the bear traps and our trusty flamethrower.

You survived to see another day...

Another Sunrise

Thank goodness! It seems that our weapons are not as important as blockading and prevention. From now on, I'll consider limited use items more carefully and try out more interactions. Thanks to the bear traps somehow killing two spiders even though only one got in, we didn't even need to use our weapon. Of course, I'd have preferred if no spiders had gotten in at all, but survival is survival!

As day breaks, the camera pans upward and a helicopter flies in from the left... It's flying a little too low--

Uh oh.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2019

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, that's not good.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Well, at least they flew into the window that was already broken into?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

> USE FLAMETHROWER ON HELICOPTER:ovr:

Just kidding. I hope the pilot's alive... :ohdear:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

David, use your initiative, there were plenty of nails in the house you could have scavenged. There's a painting on one wall, and a mirror hanging in the bathroom, before you look at any of the furniture.

Still, it worked.

Hope we weren't anywhere close to the impact site, though really I'd imagine a helicopter smashing into that shack would utterly destroy almost all of it. Didn't dream about that one, did ya, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
pahahahhahahah this game sure knows how to keep sending the hits