Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Cate is a real rear end in a top hat. Also, she's totally planning on ditching everyone else on this dying planed, so she doesn't actually need to factor in their weight for the fuel.

Calculating the amount of fuel you need is actually really difficult, since the fuel technically weights more than it's actual launching power, which means that you need even more fuel.

The bird looks like an Eve.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, she's totally planning on ditching everyone else on this dying planed, so she doesn't actually need to factor in their weight for the fuel.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even think of that. :stare:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

SSNeoman posted:

Everyone gets a coat

I think the game expects us to use the blankets for the windows, judging from how there's three separate ones just like there are for bars, netting and grates. They're rectangular too.

And I'd put both heaters in the fireplace room and turn on the oven. I really hope our gang isn't gonna take separate rooms, that'd be silly seeing as we have only one fireplace.

I dunno what to do beyond that.
This very much.

Also, we're never going to be separated from our new best friend Bob.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Do we still have the plastic wrap we didn’t use for spider protection? That might be a better solution to the windows than the blankets. Or maybe we need to barricade the door to our helicopter room?

Our bird friend is Norwegian Blue

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bregor posted:

Do we still have the plastic wrap we didn’t use for spider protection? That might be a better solution to the windows than the blankets. Or maybe we need to barricade the door to our helicopter room?

Our bird friend is Norwegian Blue

Would a thin, flimsy plastic wrap actually protect you from an incredible cold? Unless it's some kind of wonder material, which completely stops heat diffusion, I would prefer to use the blankets.

Of course, insulating the windows from cold is kind of pointless if you keep a helicopter hole in your house, so it might be better to use the blankets to huddle by the fireplace.

Then again, maybe we can fix one of the blankets onto the hatch to separate the cold air coming from the roof

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Would a thin, flimsy plastic wrap actually protect you from an incredible cold? Unless it's some kind of wonder material, which completely stops heat diffusion, I would prefer to use the blankets.
thermal blankets are typically made of stuff with outrageously lovely heat transference. they're not going to completely stop it or whatever but the survival blankets that you see are rated to some stuff like -20c or -30c and they do function there. it's not going to keep you cozy because they are still relatively breathable compared to the down blankets, but they'll keep you alive.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Edit: Nevermind, I can't read right.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Of course, insulating the windows from cold is kind of pointless if you keep a helicopter hole in your house, so it might be better to use the blankets to huddle by the fireplace.

Then again, maybe we can fix one of the blankets onto the hatch to separate the cold air coming from the roof

Hypothetically, if you put a plastic sheet on the outside of the window and a blanket on the inside of the window, you'd have a pretty decent wind block with the plastic, and with the plastic and air gap between the plastic and the blanket having poor thermal transfer, it would probably keep the house warmer than JUST the sheet or the blanket. Whether that's programmed into the game or not....

Unless you're talking about the thermal blanket from the first aid kit. Those are usually designed with poor thermal transfer and are also reflective, which can help keep your own body heat in. They're also wind and waterproof, so you won't have the wind blowing away your body heat as bad. They can kind of work as a shelter, but are best used by wrapping up your body, kinda like wrapping a warm pan of food in aluminium foil to keep the heat in.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wa11y posted:

, but are best used by wrapping up your body, kinda like wrapping a warm pan of food in aluminium foil to keep the heat in.

I'm not totally convinced that the giant spiders are gone so I don't like this analogy.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
In addition to things already stated, maybe we can use the flag to cover the hatch to the attic? We can't cover the helicopter itself, but if we insulate the gap to the attic, that should at least... help?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

So most of the goon mind feels that everyone gets a coat, the blankets go on the windows, both heaters go in the living room with the fireplace and the oven gets turned on! I'll take any other steps I can to protect ourselves from the cold with the items on hand, especially to insulate any pockets of cold from the rooftops. The dead bird's name suggestions were all single-voted, but I personally liked how Eve reminded me of The Binding of Isaac, so Eve it will be called! Now, time for us to set up for the second night of four.

Inside

We'll start by giving coats to the gang. Barry, take this big tan one.

Hey, take this coat.
Thanks. But... I think you should give one to Cody first.
Huh? Did someone call me?
But what about you, Barry?
I'll be fine. We can always find more coats.

But we have four of them, ya goof. All right, but before I do, let's offer the red one to Cate and see what she says.

Here. Take this coat.
Aww, you shouldn't have.
Wear it when it gets really cold.
I know. Thanks.

12:39 pm: I gave Cate a warm coat.

I guess Cate is plot-important (or just selfish) so she'll snag it if you offer it. Okay Cody, let's give you this small blue one.

Take this coat.
It's too big for me!
I know, but you'll have to wear it later when it gets really cold.
Uh... okay.
Hah. You're good with kids, David.
I don't know, am I?
Hey, I'm not a kid!

12:39 pm: I gave Cody a warm coat. He's small, so he might need it more than anyone else.

Now that Cody's bundled up, take your coat, Barry.

Hey, take this coat.
Huh? Um, okay. It's getting rather chilly already.
Yeah. And it's only going to get worse.
Thanks.

12:39 pm: I gave Barry a warm coat.

Next, to use the blankets on the windows.

Well I'll be damned. You guys who considered the blankets for the windows called it. Let's nail and duct tape the blankets on. Now I really wish we'd had the third set of nails.

Interesting that the game is warning us about the window frames getting weaker, but this must be a time-intensifying mechanic given we have a whopping seven hours to spend until nighttime. Thanks to the gang, the job is faster.

01:02 pm: I installed a thermal insulation fabric in one of the windows.

01:48 pm: I installed a thermal insulation fabric in some of the windows.

02:34 pm: I installed a thermal insulation fabric in all of the windows.

Time to close the hatch leading to the roof, and try to use the restaurant flag to insulate the hole leading up here.

02:34 pm: I covered the hatch with something to block the temperature.

(Item - Duct tape on hatch) Covering this with some cloth should be sufficient. There's no need to do anything else with it.

Do you even know where we're going? ...Just as I thought.

Not now, Cate. Besides, we're not going anywhere now that we're set up here at the hideout.

I take the extension cord to the living room. Can it even reach up to the second floor if we wanted to?

No point dragging it up there.

I guess we'll be having a sleepover in the living room! Let's set up the electric heater, get these spiders and bear traps out of here and the kitchen, turn on the oven, and finally, drop the big gas heater...

02:34 pm: I put an electrical heater in the house.

I've opened the oven. I've also switched it on. I'm getting hot already.

02:58 pm: I started an oven to generate more heat.

02:58 pm: I put a gas heater in the house.

And now, for the coup de grâce: lighting the fireplace! David, the flamethrower, if you please!

I wouldn't know, David, but I'll take your word for it. I bet we're all going to be sweating buckets in here. In fact, I'm worried about that, so I am going to pass around the water bottles, just in case...

Hey, take this water.
But it's snowing everywhere. If I'm thirsty, I just have to open my mouth wide and catch some snow! Aaaaaaaaaaah!
Yeah, you're probably right. Forget it.

Here, have some water.
No, thanks. How about you drink it yourself?

Hey, have some water.
Not really thirsty, thanks. Maybe we should look for something warm instead.
Yeah. You're probably right.

drat it folks. Aren't you all going to be rolling around sweating out of every pore in a few hours? Jeez.

Barry, can you play with me? I'm bored.
Sure, kid. What do you want to do?
There is this simple game where one person describes what they see and the other person has to guess. I can go first!
Go ahead.
I spy with my little eye something scary.
Cate.
How did you guess that so fast?!

I actually said "Cate" out loud when Cody said his line and laughed when Barry echoed me. And not to worry, Cody my boy, we'll have plenty of game time tonight because we're all set up here!

Yes, we're ready. Everyone's got a coat, the windows are as well-sealed as I could make them, both heaters have been plunked down, and every opening save the helicopter's is closed up or insulated. I'll equip the coat for the night. Time to see if our preparations have been sufficient, goons...

Long Nights

It got so cold that everything in the area that was alive and hadn't found a shelter was frozen almost instantly. You found shelter in a house, hoping it would save you from the wave of cold death...

As a result, that window blocked 6% of the initial cold wave.

Thank goodness I didn't need the nails after all, whew!

With a large hole in the attic, the hatch was an important air-flow route. It stopped 6% of the initial cold wave.

It was generating a lot of heat, countering 30% of the initial cold wave. During the night a sudden strong gust of wind almost put the fire out... You had a lot of spare kindling for such an occasion: to relight the fire or make the flame bigger. You didn't lose any heat. The basket by the fireplace was full of fuel to burn. It kept the fire going till dawn.

Too bad you were staying in the other room, making it less effective. As a result, the oven raised the temperature a bit, dispersing about 7% of the initial freezing wind power.

We figured that it would help at least a little bit, but I'd have stayed in the living room anyway even knowing the effectiveness would go down.

The hot air it blew raised the temperature around it, deducting 22% of the initial cold wave.

The warmth from the gas heater dispersed about 24% of the initial freezing air.

Wow, did we just ace this night?

Another Sunrise

You were able to rest much more comfortably than you thought you would. [+5 kg permanent carry weight bonus]

Sweet! Looks like getting a perfect night's rest grants a bonus to our weight limit, which makes me sad we didn't snag it with the spiders. But we had plenty of time and, it seems, forgiving methods of cold dispersal tonight compared to the first night of fending off spiders. There seemed to be more room for error here.

But during the night... another prophetic dream of doom begins. Why not see what danger awaits us tomorrow? You all know the drill. Let's look out the window--

Aaaaagh, acid rain! It burns! Run for it, David!

Lighting strikes David, discharging a strong surge of electricity. The bolt instantly fries him and he falls to the ground, his burnt flesh smouldering and his muscles convulsing as his nerves give their final reactive twitch. This thunderstorm with acid rain is not going to be easy to protect against...

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Thunderstorm and acid rain. Hm, okay. If the acid is strong enough to eat through glass/wood/brick and get into the house we're screwed no matter what we do, so I guess we focus mostly on building some sort of lightning rod outside with whatever we find today. Except for the drat helicopter sticking out of the roof, why aren't we staying in Barry's house again?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, now we use that plastic covering on the windows.

That thing with the burger flag...yeah I dunno, would never have come up with that myself.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Barry is a good guy.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is going to be some final destination poo poo, isn't it? Our stupid little psychic powers let us dodge death too much and by god the loving moon itself will make sure we die to set the universe right.

And yeah we're gonna need some more crap to survive acid rain. Apparently this wooden house is good enough for the basics I guess. Definite need for a lightning rod though unless we want the entire building burning down around us. (Assuming it doesn't pull the same bullshit in the dream and just weave through open windows to hit us.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay, you got my reference. Now whenever you will use health, Eve will fly around and do pretty much nothing.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Supreme victory!

Also, can't we just go looking for Cate's spaceship already? Can't die from acid rain if you're in orbit :smuggo:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope the car wasn't affected too much by the cold.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I mean acid rain even of the class of “it leaves blistering sores on the skin” should actually be really easy to defend against because inorganic material (like the paint on the house) is pretty chemically inactive. Just closing the windows and hanging out in an internal room is more than enough to avoid that. If the rain is so corrosive that you actually need to worry about the siding of the house then you’re hosed anyway, you’re basically talking about it raining HCl and a house sized tarp isn’t going to save you from that onslaught, you’d need a glass shell ala biodome. I’m sure this will be ignored to make the threat serious without being unassailable though.

The lightning too should be an incredibly simple problem to solve; a simple lightning rod to a ground merely needs to be somewhat conductive and sufficiently tall. A coiled wire jutting 6 feet up from the roof will absolutely snag all the bolts anywhere near the house. Then just shunt that off the roof through the gutters and drive the wire into the ground. If you’re really paranoid you can insulate it with styrofoam but there’s little need to care that much when the electricity in the house doesn’t really work anyway.

I dunno, compared to giant killer spiders and a massive cold spike this doomsay seems like a bit of a softball.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
On the other hand, it doesn't seem to just be rain, given it's flowing in the windows.
If there's a flash flood to chest height, that could be a huge issue.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

David opened the window and it blew in, there’s just a lot of wind with it, which is normal for a thunderstorm.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

>DON’T OPEN WINDOW:ovr:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Coolguye posted:

David opened the window and it blew in, there’s just a lot of wind with it, which is normal for a thunderstorm.
Actually, for each nightmare, the window just shattered open by whatever was going to kill us. Must be the high winds with the storm.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Olive Branch posted:

Actually, for each nightmare, the window just shattered open by whatever was going to kill us. Must be the high winds with the storm.

Therefore logically all we have to do is stop that window opening. Tape Cate to it as a human shield.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ah, i got misled by the 'let's try the window' narration. ok, cool, wood barricade again like on night 1, gg.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Bregor posted:

>DON’T OPEN WINDOW:ovr:
It will take 0 minutes to not open the window. With everybody's help, it will take -5 minutes to not open the window.

We have no choice but to open the window so this story doesn't get bogged down with time travel shenanigans.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

With the night survived and the dream had, it's time to let the gang know what's going down tonight.

Inside

Yeah, not a very pleasant one... There was a storm. A thunderstorm. The rain was burning, like it was acid. And lightning was striking all around.
I see. We'll have to prepare for it then.
What is it Cody? You seem excited.
I have something important to tell you! It's like... super-duper important! We have to prepare for tonight! Even more than yesterday!
Yes, Cody. I know...
But you don't know why yet!
I don't? I thought...
Shush! I had a dream. There were like dozens of zombies coming towards the house. They wanted my brain! We have to protect it! I don't want to be eaten... They had those ugly faces, and they were slowly walking with their arms in front of them. They were speaking to me. All like, "Braaaaaains!"
Cody... Zombies are not real. You had a bad dream, that's all.
What? No! Why? Your dreams are better than mine?!
I'm not saying they are better...
So you believe me that there are zombies coming after me!
No one is chasing you, Cody...
I hope zombies will think you are tasty...
David, there's something I have to tell you. I also had a dream.
You saw what I saw?
No... I saw a city. I know where to find the spaceship, David. Or at least, I know how to look for it.
What? Where?
Sidereal. The corporation that built those ships had a number of outposts and offices across the... well, everywhere, actually. In my dream I saw one of them in the deserted city in the southwest. It was just an office, but if we get there, we might find the location of the spaceship outpost.
So... you don't know for certain.
David, have I doubted your dreams for one second? I need you to trust me on this one. We've gotta get there as soon as possible. Before we spend any time preparing for what's coming tonight.

We have to secure our hideout for the incoming storm.

Alright then. I want to say Cate has a point about where to ultimately look to get out of here. We can safely dismiss Cody's nightmare, but just in case, we do have a flamethrower and rifle with five bullets! Before heading out, I want to do a quick check of the home and talk to our companions. The blankets in the window are already protecting us from the rain, apparently, but if we find anything better I'll ask you all if we should keep them up.

First up is Cate, who is willing to tell us about today, Barry, and Cody. Let's begin with tonight's forecast, shall we?

Any ideas for today?
Before we start even thinking about what comes later, we HAVE TO go to the Sidereal Plexus office. Let's get back to this talk after we're done with that, okay?

Wow, she really isn't kidding. What "about Barry," has your opinion of him improved any?

Cate?
What now David?
I wanted to talk about Barry.
What is there to talk about? He is not fond of me, and I'm not fond of him. We still can work together. That's what's important.
Couldn't you be like more... you know... human?
What?
Eh... never mind.

Cate has a point. Nobody can like everyone, even in the end of the world. But "about Cody," you like him, right?

Anything new on Cody?
What do you mean? He's not that annoying. If that's what you are asking.
No... I didn't mean that.
I told you already. I think he's a poor kid. I was expecting him to be an obstacle, but for now he's doing well enough. I'm pretty sure he is afraid of me. Maybe that's for the best. At least he'll listen to someone.
You think he wouldn't listen to me?
David, please...

Hah, that wasn't exactly a negatory answer. David is sweet, but he certainly leans more on his kindness and gentleness than anything else.

Cody also has new topics of conversation about today, Cate, and Barry. Take it away, Cody, say what's on your mind "about today!"

What is it, Cody? Worried about tonight?
Yes, but also... Do we have to go to that Sideplexthing office? It sounds kinda scary.

Welcome to the real world, kid. David still has nightmares about the Umbrella Corporation when he was playing Resident Evil. Speaking of scary stuff, tell us "about Cate."

Any new thoughts on Cate?
She is nice, but a bit scary.
How so?
Like, she is pretty but also kinda mean. But not really.
Not really?
Yeah. I think she is a good person. She just tries to hide it. Why would anyone try to hide that they are a nice person? I don't get adults...

What an innocent boy Cody is, but he has a point. Cate is stern and bitter, but she isn't bad. And while we're on the subject of good people, as goon my dad pointed out, tell us "about Barry."

Did you change your opinion about Barry?
Dunno. He is still sad.
It's not that easy to let it go after such a loss.
I know. I'm trying to cheer him up. I think today I saw him smiling. People should smile more often. Everything is better then.
When you put it that way it doesn't sound too complicated.
Of course it doesn't! You make it complicated! All adults do.

Cody with the truth bombs. Out of the mouth of babes and all that. Let's turn to Barry, who has been quiet the entire time.

Just like the others, new thoughts on the group and the day. "About today," Barry...

Are you worried about tonight?
Tonight? I'm worried about this whole Sidereal Plexus thing. That office is in the city. Nobody lives or goes there. And I have a bad feeling about it.

Earlier in the thread goon SSNeoman suggested we should take the rifle in case the locals were "less than friendly" when we visited the ruined house. I think now I'll take up on his advice if Barry says he's got the willies about the city. Now, "about Cate" and her plan...

Any new thoughts on Cate?
I don't know, David. This Sidereal Plexus thing. She claims she didn't know where it was, but then she knows. Plus she knows just so much about them. Not to mention this whole spaceship idea. Isn't this ridiculous?

You're not the only one suspicious of Cate, Barry. Goon cant cook creole bream already suspects that she's going to ditch us when we find the spaceship, but right now all we can do is follow her and be on guard for treachery. But Cody wouldn't betray us, right? Give us your thoughts "about Cody."

Is something wrong with Cody? You're always looking at him.
I think I envy him. He lost... like everything. Without family, without friends, without anyone he knows. With a group of strangers. Who knows how long he was alone before you found him. And yet look at him. Smiling, happy and eager to play. Even with the world dying around him. I wish I could be like that.
Actually... me too.

Talk about a reality check for what Cody's gone through, and yet he remains an optimistic and playful kid. He really is a good boy, as goon Leraika pointed out. He is the glue that will hold the group together.

Baarrry!
What's up, kid?
Why did the tiger lose at poker?
I don't know. Why?
Because he was playing with a cheetah!
Hah! Good one.

With Cody's joke told, it's time for us to make the house lightning-safe. I clean up the living room by throwing the heaters in the storage chest, then head to the kitchen to unplug the extension cord, which also goes into the chest. For good measure, I turn off the oven.

(Interaction - Oven) I've closed the oven and switched it off.

As we may need to reuse it, I run upstairs and take the restaurant burger flag back, and into the box it goes. While we're here, let's get equipped for the day.

Yeah, this looks like a good set of tools and equipment to carry around, and yes, Eve is coming with us. While David gears up, the gang talks to each other.

I miss you so much, Maggie. It's been only a little while... but it feels like an eternity. I wish you were here with me.
Who are you talking to, Barry?
No one, kid. No one...

How are you holding up?
You don't have to pretend you care.
That's a relief. I'm not really good when it comes to social skills.
I already noticed that.

If only Maggie could see me now.
Now? You're not even doing anything special.
No? I'm traveling with new friends, almost strangers... trying to outsmart the wastelands. Maybe we have different definitions of what's special.

Where is it? Where is it?
What's up, Barry?
Have you seen... Oh, here it is. Maggie's locket. I almost lost it.
It's just an item.
Maybe for you.

Investigation

The snow outside seems to have melted fast after the cold snap. There is soft ground outside the house, and we have a shovel.

(Interaction - Ground) I could dig some ditches here to prepare for the incoming storm.
(Item - Shovel on ground) Good idea. Digging ditches would help with the large amount of water pouring down from the sky, but first we have to go to the Sidereal Plexus office and locate the outpost.

The game seems to be forcing us to take Cate's request to heart. In that case, we'll head out back and get Clifford, if it's still roadworthy after the blizzard.

What the... who made a snowman out here? Did someone unlock the doors with our keys and go out in the wee hours of the morning? We promised Cody we'd make a snowman ourselves! While I'm pondering this strange event, Barry strikes up a conversation with Cate, then Cody.

What do you miss, Cate?
Huh?
From your life before all this. Before the world went to hell.
Coffee.
That didn't take long.
It wasn't a hard question. I miss coffee. If you find any, give me some.
Okay...

What do you miss, Cody?
Hm?
From before the world broke down like it did.
Umm... I don't know. Food?
Oh, come on. There must have been something else. Like a TV show or specific type of candy.
Comic books... I miss them. And I had a toy tiger. I miss him, too. But don't say that to David or Cate. It's kinda childish.

Uh... the moon is looking mighty big today. I'm getting some serious Majora's Mask vibes, here. As I gawk at the moon, Cody and Cate continue their conversation from the previous day.

Cate, I've been thinking...
Aaaand?
...And I still don't get it.
What now?
You... why are you so mean to David sometimes?
I thought we covered that: 'cause he's a dork.
...I thought it was "goof"...
Goof, right. Well, that's that.
But that's why I don't get it! Wasn't he like that before?
Before what?
Before you and him got married.
Ack?!
If he was a goof, why would you marry him?
I... what?! I wouldn't!! I wouldn't marry him!
Then... did he, like... make you marry him?
What?
That's what villains do! Did he pretend to be different? Or... did he threaten you?!
Kid, listen!
No wonder you are mean to him.
...I'm getting a nasty headache...

For those wondering, Clifford is working just fine after the blizzard, and the drive to the city will be relatively fast. Since we'll be running on fumes, though, I figure we ought to stop by the gas station later and top off our tank. I run back into the house and grab the full fuel canister, then toss it in Clifford's trunk. Instead of going straight to the city, though, let's go to the restaurant. If you'll recall, there were spiderwebs in the bathroom, and Cate suggested waiting until they dissolved. If they have, then maybe something of use will be salvageable in the restroom area.

Exploration

Well, I'll be. Cate was right again. Maybe she's something of a spiderweb expert. I poke my head in the toilet and open a closet door on the right, and this is what I find. There's a magazine, a bottle of oil, and a bottle of rat poison to be looted here.

Now, I'm no fan of conspiracy magazines, but given the Amazon-levels of shady dealings Sidereal's into and how Cate herself is involved, there's something to be said about the paranoia here. Experimenting with the capacity to transfer minds into other bodies under the guise of a coma treatment clinic is some sci-fi stuff, but hey, so was mining the moon for Helium-3 and then blowing it up. Anyway, back to the business at hand: looting stuff!

A bottle of kitchen oil (2 kg). I doubt if I'll be making french fries with it but who knows. I'd better watch out where I spill it, because it won't just dry like water.
A bottle of rat poison (1 kg). The label warning on the poison says that digesting it might cause nausea, internal bleeding, liver failure or even death. Jesus, were they trying to poison rats or elephants with this?

And with all that done, time to hit the big city, see what's cracking.

Main Menu

Hit by earthquakes, it was quickly abandoned, only to be swallowed by sands after the climate changed. I never liked the idea of going there. It was like a massive tombstone emerging from the wasteland, luring travelers so it could become a grave for more victims.

You bet we have questions. We can check that this isn't the outpost Cate was looking for, ask what exactly we are looking for here, or what are Cate's connections with Sidereal Plexus. Let's work from left to right.

This isn't the outpost you were looking for, right?
Have you been listening to me at all? Of course this isn't the outpost I was looking for. That one had a launchpad and a spaceship. This one... well, this is an office.

What exactly are we looking for here?
Coordinates. We need to know where the launchpad outpost is located. Look for any documents or maps you can find. It's gotta be somewhere here.

What are your connections with Sidereal Plexus?
I... don't know what you mean.
Well, how did you know about the spaceship thing in the first place?
Can we have this conversation another time? It's a long story.

No more questions.
Let's move then.

Who are you anyway?
I'm Catherine?
You know what I'm talking about. Flying a helicopter, using a gun.
You can call it a survival instinct.
That doesn't explain anything.
I'm a girl who survives.

08:22 am: We arrived at the Sidereal Plexus office in the destroyed city. Cate hopes to find the location of the spaceship somewhere around here.

Well... here we are, folks. The big city, not so big or urban anymore. Before heading inside the Sidereal Plexus office building, I want to ask the gang their impressions of the place.

What do you think, Cody?
It's almost like a disaster movie... One time some other boys from the orphanage wanted to watch this film about a huge earthquake. The whole city was devastated! It looks similar. Just much more sand.
We kind of are in a catastrophe movie right now...
Can I be the main hero? And I will save everyone at the end.
That role is already taken, kid.
Aww...
But you can be my sidekick!
Yay!

What do you think of this place?
I didn't go to the city too often. Mostly just when Maggie needed something from here and I had to give her a lift. Living so close was quite handy. It was quiet in our area, but when we needed something it was only a twenty-minute trip. It changed a lot. I mean, just look at all this. It's even worse than anywhere else.
I wonder what happened to all the people.
Simple. They either moved out or died, buried in the sand.

Do you believe in ghosts, Barry?
Do you mean the afterlife? Yes, I...
No, actual ghosts!
Not really.
Oh. Okay. That's good.
Why do you ask...?
No reason.
Cody?

We're not going to die in his hole. We must gather our party and venture forth.

Sand, sand, sand. Let's poke around and see what we can do. There is no music playing here, only the sound of wind whistling over the dunes.

(Interaction - Street lamp) Give it a few more months and this lamp will completely disappear under the sand.
This world doesn't have a few months.
(Interaction - Entrance) Shouldn't there be a door here?
There is. It's probably a few feet under all that sand.
We could bring a shovel and...
Are you serious? Digging a desert's worth of sand would take us hours. No time for that. Let's look for another way in.

There is an east wing and the big dune leads a couple of floors up. I want to search the perimeter first.

This is the east wing, with a metal door still accessible. There's also more to the side of the building further right.

(Interaction - Door) (Struggles to open it.) It seems to be locked from the other side.
(Item - Crowbar on door) (Struggles to open it.) It's no use. The lock is too strong.
(Interaction - Side of the building) Everything here is either collapsed or covered with tons of sand...

Hey David, maybe I'll help you carry something?
Don't even try. He's a hoarder. He just loves collecting stuff.
He just makes sure we have all the things we might need. And I don't want to see his back snap in half.
He'll be fine, Barry. We all carry our own burdens.

I headed back to the front to climb the big sand dune. We need to get inside this office complex.

As David and company walk up the dune, the camera pulls up slightly with each step to show more of the city. The cracked moon looms overhead and rattles like a fragment of angry candy. Or fragments, to be more accurate. As we trudge up, I am treated to more conversations among the team.

I hate walking.

Hey, Barry.
What's up, Cody?
I've been thinking.
Oh, here we go.
Shush, Cate. What have you been thinking about?
Maybe there's a way to stop the Moon.
Stop the Moon?
Yes. From falling down.
How would you do that?
Let's shoot it with a rocket! Or a dozen rockets!
Believe me, Cody. A lot of very smart people tried to come up with a way to do it.
They did?
Yes.
I should tell them my idea then.
Yes. You definitely should.
ROCKETS AWAY! SWOOOSH! SWOOOSH!!!

We've reached the roof... there's crack in the wall on the other side which could let us in the building.

Tension

The "R" in the "SIDEREAL" logo suddenly bends and tilts, metal groaning under the unfamiliar weight distribution nearby. It falls back and smashes the roof open, bringing down a ton of sand and part of the roof with it. While both Cate and David manage to leap out of the way, Barry and Cody are left dangling over the pit!

Oh god...
Help! Help me!
Ugh. I... I can't hold it much longer...
Hang on guys! David, for god's sake! Help them!
Forget me! Save Cody!
Aaaah! I'm gonna fall!
Just... save... the boy...

(Interaction - Opening in the wall) I've gotta help them!

Cody! Barry! Save them, David! They won't hold much longer!

:siren: Goons! Emergency vote! Who do we save? I want to save Cody, it's what Barry wants, and drat it, we can't let the kid die like this! If you get an idea to use an item, like our rope with a hook, to hopefully save both, I'm all ears!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2020

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress.

Can you provide a screenshot of our inventory?

e: If we have to choose... Hm...

Barry. He's stronger, and will probably make the rest of the day easier. When we gently caress up and restart, we can do the opposite.

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 12, 2019

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Barry.

I don't want Cody to die, he's just a kid. But let's be real: Barry will increase our odds of survival better than Cody will. This isn't just about saving one of our friends, it's about looking after ourselves, too.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

my dad posted:

gently caress.

Can you provide a screenshot of our inventory?
Our inventory is what is in our backpack before leaving the house earlier in the update, plus the two bottles we got from the restaurant.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Cody but we should try duct taping the little fellow's hands to the girder first. That has to take less time than saving him, right?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That grappling hook is about the only thing I could really think is helpful. Get it between them so when cody falls, he's hanging on to the grappling hook that's either hooked on or being held on to by barry while he's being helped up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... This is probably important for the ending. I suspect that if we save Barry not Cody, for pragmatic reasons, we'll appear to be pragmatic, selfish, survival-focused, which will mean Cate has no qualms about abandoning us behind. "You have to be pragmatic" and all. If we save Cody, we're more idealistic and hopeful, showing that we're a good person, so Cate would be less likely to leave us to die. If we could somehow save both, that would be superior.

Both if someone can think of a helpful inventory item, otherwise Cody

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... This is probably important for the ending. I suspect that if we save Barry not Cody, for pragmatic reasons, we'll appear to be pragmatic, selfish, survival-focused, which will mean Cate has no qualms about abandoning us behind. "You have to be pragmatic" and all. If we save Cody, we're more idealistic and hopeful, showing that we're a good person, so Cate would be less likely to leave us to die. If we could somehow save both, that would be superior.

Both if someone can think of a helpful inventory item, otherwise Cody

Or she might act the exact opposite, since she's not willing to guide a sentimental fool.

Safe neither. It's the only morale choice. In truth I just hate binary choices and want to do anything but that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ugh, I hate these kinds of choices.

Especially since Barry can hold on longer than Cody can, being stronger, so we should have time to save both.

Try to save both of them with the grappling hook, Cody first.

If that doesn't work, save Cody and tell Barry to try and grab onto something on his way down the pit, there's bound to be the edges of other floors assuming this sign fell all the way through somehow or failing that there's a pile of sand gone down there too. He's more likely to survive than the kid.

I think Cody's our best chance of persuading Cate not to inevitably betray us, too.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Save Cody! That's what Barry wants and it'd be heartless to just let Cody die :colbert:

Of course, if there's some way to save them both, that's obviously preferable.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My gut story instincts say saving Barry would just lead Barry to fall into despair. But aaaaahhh I hate these choices and can't vote.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Save Barry
Kids always land on their feet, right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cody is lighter so if there's any chance to save both you would go for cody first, as hauling him up would require a fraction of the time it would take to haul barry up. note i am not actually lodging a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Save Barry. As others have said, he's more likely to be useful to us than Cody is, and in fact has already proven to be more useful: he helped make Clifford more fuel efficient, and in activities that can be shortened by party members, he always provides a bigger bonus than Cody does.