Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This won Cannes and I saw it yesterday and it's very good. By Snowpiercer and Okja director Bong Joon-ho, but it's much better than those imho. Don't read about it but just go see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do agree with the sentiment that you really have to not know what's going on in the movie. It's one of Bong Joon-ho's most personal films. A lot of what's been bubbling in Snowpiercer and Okja comes out in full force in this movie. And while there is still a satirical and heightened element, it's ultimately more grounded, and thusly feels like a more emotional punch to the gut.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I don’t agree that this is somehow a movie you need to know nothing about before seeing it. There is a certain twist, but even knowing about it would’t spoil the movie or anything. The twist is not what makes this movie.

The movie is really good at building up its plot and keeping the audience on edge because it’s obvious that ‘something’ is going to happen that’s gonna ruin the family’s plan.

I liked it more than Snowpiercer or Okja.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I liked it, but you know the minute they start invading that it's going to end badly. I somehow expected the climax to be even more bizarre and miike esque then it ended up being. A lot of this movie falls apart if you really think about it too, like the letter being seen, etc etc but I still think it's a solid 4/5.

After joker got a standing ovation at cannes, a film winning the palme d'or means nothing to me anymore like it used to. Not to knock this film or anything...

e: also, it feels like someone told him hey whatever level of subtlety about the class system you had in the movie where people are literally segregated by class/car in a giant train of human survival, let's maybe lessen it by about a thousand percent. like, ok, we get it, the rich think poor people are smelly. nailed it i guess? can we stop with the shots of the dad smelling himself after the first 2

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 27, 2019

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Joker didn't play Cannes, it premiered at Venice.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

zer0spunk posted:

I liked it, but you know the minute they start invading that it's going to end badly. I somehow expected the climax to be even more bizarre and miike esque then it ended up being. A lot of this movie falls apart if you really think about it too, like the letter being seen, etc etc but I still think it's a solid 4/5.

After joker got a standing ovation at cannes, a film winning the palme d'or means nothing to me anymore like it used to. Not to knock this film or anything...

e: also, it feels like someone told him hey whatever level of subtlety about the class system you had in the movie where people are literally segregated by class/car in a giant train of human survival, let's maybe lessen it by about a thousand percent. like, ok, we get it, the rich think poor people are smelly. nailed it i guess? can we stop with the shots of the dad smelling himself after the first 2

Subtlety is vastly overrated. There are still too many people who don't understand that capitalism needs to end. The sooner the better.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

This is currently my favorite movie of the year and my favorite Joon-Ho movie now.

I also thought the basement stuff was gonna be way darker than it ended up being, but I still loved what we got.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

This feels to me like the movie Us wanted to be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
edit: you know what, gave it more thought and this post was just stupid. I don't even know what my point was.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

davidspackage posted:

Not knowing anything about Korean society or social classes, I found it interesting to see how a family fraudulently works their way into a rich household, but still perform the actual jobs they're hired for, and don't much exploit their position beyond a night of raiding the kitchen and liquor cabinet. Like, if the script was filmed in a western country, you'd have them pilfering money and jewelry or stealing things to sell, but here you see a kind of enduring respect for the head of the wealthy household, even through the dramatic climax.

This is a wierdly racist/orientalist take. What you witnessed had nothing to do with "enduring respect for the head of the wealthy household" of the mystical orient. Poor people have to hustle and/or bulshit their way into honest good paying jobs all the time all over the world and then fight like hell to keep them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sorry, wasn't my intention. It just stood out to me that both Mr. Kim and the man living in Mr. Park's basement continue to express respect and admiration for Park, even in their private moments. Class struggle, but seemingly without real envy.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Majkol posted:

This is a wierdly racist/orientalist take. What you witnessed had nothing to do with "enduring respect for the head of the wealthy household" of the mystical orient. Poor people have to hustle and/or bulshit their way into honest good paying jobs all the time all over the world and then fight like hell to keep them.

I think the interesting angle here is that in their party, the family talks like they've gotten one over on the Parks, but the only thing they actually want is to do their jobs, which happens to be the only thing the Parks want from them. There's a lot of subtlety in the script here. Until the basement family emerges the only thing the family is guilty of is lying on their resumes, which pretty much everyone does already. I kept on waiting for the family's real scheme to emerge, but the real twist of the movie is that there is no twist. They really just want to be employed.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

pospysyl posted:

I think the interesting angle here is that in their party, the family talks like they've gotten one over on the Parks, but the only thing they actually want is to do their jobs, which happens to be the only thing the Parks want from them. There's a lot of subtlety in the script here. Until the basement family emerges the only thing the family is guilty of is lying on their resumes, which pretty much everyone does already. I kept on waiting for the family's real scheme to emerge, but the real twist of the movie is that there is no twist. They really just want to be employed.

I think this is definitely true for 3/4 of them. One of them has a slightly more complex relationship with the family.

Ki-Jeong is not an art therapist and is essentially doing nothing clinically meaningful with Da-song. On the other hand, there are suggestions that Da-song is totally in control of his behavior and acts the way he does to manipulate his parents (likely due to lack of attention). When he is with Ki-Jeong, he's getting the attention he needs, and thus isn't acting out. So in a more concrete sense, she is earning her paycheck, if you think of her job as "fix the behavioral issues using whatever means necessary". Her title just requires a bit more lying to justify.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pospysyl posted:

This isn’t totally true. The Parks don’t demand outwardly but they still expect their servants to conform to their comforts. It’s why the dad stabs him in the first place. When he sees Mr. Park cover his nostrils, it reminds him that he’ll never be accepted into this class due to his poverty. He can be the perfect driver but he’ll still be the smelly old poor guy working for the rich.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I loved this movie and hoped their crazy con family hijinks would last forever :cry:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

I loved this movie and hoped their crazy con family hijinks would last forever :cry:

It reminded me of Shameless.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

davidspackage posted:

Sorry, wasn't my intention. It just stood out to me that both Mr. Kim and the man living in Mr. Park's basement continue to express respect and admiration for Park, even in their private moments. Class struggle, but seemingly without real envy.

I think that's one of the core issues the film is trying to get at: that class disparity has been so thoroughly internalised by society that even the poorest of the poor genuinely believe that the rich are deserving of their lofty position. The Kims initial goal is not revolution, but to earn their own place in the sun within the confines of the capitalist system.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think that's one of the core issues the film is trying to get at: that class disparity has been so thoroughly internalised by society that even the poorest of the poor genuinely believe that the rich are deserving of their lofty position. The Kims initial goal is not revolution, but to earn their own place in the sun within the confines of the capitalist system.

Not only that, but the fact that the working poor are so atomised that they are incapable of working together to overthrow the ruling classes. This is explicitly stated in dialogue.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

My one word review: RESPECT!!!

Complicated, hilarious, and surprising. Snowpiercer is still my favorite Bong Joon-ho film, but drat if this isn't a real close second (and possibly a better movie overall).

My favorite moment was two-thirds into the movie, when one of the very elderly and out of place couple sitting right behind me loudly uttered, "Oh, they're SCAMMERS!" I totally lost my poo poo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Megasabin posted:

Ki-Jeong is not an art therapist and is essentially doing nothing clinically meaningful with Da-song. On the other hand, there are suggestions that Da-song is totally in control of his behavior and acts the way he does to manipulate his parents (likely due to lack of attention). When he is with Ki-Jeong, he's getting the attention he needs, and thus isn't acting out. So in a more concrete sense, she is earning her paycheck, if you think of her job as "fix the behavioral issues using whatever means necessary". Her title just requires a bit more lying to justify.

She's just repeating all the pretentious special snowflake bullshit the new agey mom gobbles up. I'd argue she does the least actual work in her role of all of them. It's also another way to hammer home how "awful" and superficial the upper-class family is...

Then again, everyone is awful in this movie if you think about it except maybe the husband who turns on the lights in the basement..he seems to do the least amount of damage and attempts to give back in his weird-rear end way..plus he worships the patriarch to the point of fanatiscism

Some of the metaphors like the good luck rock and the water are done so well, and then the rest is so clumsy and obvious..it's such a weirdly balanced film.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

pospysyl posted:

They dont just lie on the resumes - to get the parents their jobs they gently caress up the lives of the housekeeper and the driver - who did no harm to them.
Ruining the life of the housekeeper leads to their tragedy and underlines the crab bucket situation with people in lower classes fighting each other for their place under the table of the rich.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

They dont just lie on the resumes - to get the parents their jobs they gently caress up the lives of the housekeeper and the driver - who did no harm to them.
Ruining the life of the housekeeper leads to their tragedy and underlines the crab bucket situation with people in lower classes fighting each other for their place under the table of the rich.

Right, the family's confused about who the real victims of their scheme are. But even then, this reading assumes that the driver and the maid were somehow more deserving of their jobs than the family was, but by all indications the family does just as good a job as their predecessors, if not better. In fact, the maid is running a grift of her own. During the final showdown, the father realizes who the real victims of the trick actually are: themselves. They work so hard, but never actually get anywhere, and a single slip-up sends them back to where they started or worse. The point, I think, is that all of these characters believe they deserve wealth, but the concept of "deserving" is illusory. There's only power and its victims.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This movie really had me spellbound. Fantastic. The way it behaves like a heist movie for a bit is wonderful, the stakes are nice, and I have a difficult time finding comedy bits in foreign movies to really hit (lost in translation often, i suppose), but this movie has some great dark comedy.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
That whole sequence of them running down the stairs, descending from the lofty heights where the rich and powerful reside to find their home flooded, culminating in the daughter trying to stem the bubbling torrent of poo poo that is her life by sitting on the toilet cover and having a smoke to feel like a human for 5 minutes is peak cinema.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Movie opened around September here and despite the rapid media consumption cycle a lot of its scenes are still with me. The ending I thought Bong was going to fumble it until the very last scene, but the most powerful moment was really the nose clenching from the rich dad. His obliviousness and disgust towards a person. gently caress subtlety.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I adored this movie and I'm gonna bring a friend to see it this weekend, who's also hyped as hell.

For anyone reading this thread: please please please go watch Memories of Murder and Mother like right now. All of Bong's Korean movies are significantly better written and more interesting than his English ones imo, and I almost prefer Mother to Parasite, just because of the overall cohesiveness of the tone and the more subtle, nuanced and tragic ways it explores the violence marginalized people inflict on each other. Plus it's got some pretty strongly feminist themes if you know where to look.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
No, seriously, how is the Parasite thread this short? Is there another thread that's actively discussing this movie? This was the best thing I've seen all year, two hours of straight-tension with nervous laughter and holy gently caress moments. Easily his best work in my opinion and just so, so well-paced and constructed. I want to read everything about this movie and normally a goon thread would be about 30 pages on this movie. What happen?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

No, seriously, how is the Parasite thread this short? Is there another thread that's actively discussing this movie? This was the best thing I've seen all year, two hours of straight-tension with nervous laughter and holy gently caress moments. Easily his best work in my opinion and just so, so well-paced and constructed. I want to read everything about this movie and normally a goon thread would be about 30 pages on this movie. What happen?
It happens a lot here with actual good movies. It's a mix of people not seeing them and often not being used to talking about moves that are just unequivocally good. Like most of this subforum are people yelling about the unoriginality or corporate staleness of big Hollywood action movies while not just shutting the gently caress up and renting The Farewell.

This is a good thread though, and I really do like the take of the family being the one who are scammed. The one exception is Ki-jeong who is legitimately scamming the family in that she's offering false psychological diagnosis. It's probably one aspect of the film I'm a little shaky on. The gag is that Ki-jeong's take-no-poo poo attitude is what the kid actually needs. Her scam is disguising her meeting the kids needs in a way the family isn't actually paying for. It's a nice gag, but I do get wary of if there is a broader suggestion about art therapy.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

It was really good and I just don't really have a lot to say about it.

Well, ok, one thing that was interesting I guess was that the friend I saw it with wasn't particularly sympathetic to the Kims, saying they were kind of terrible people. I disagreed, and she explained that the Kims having a drinking party while the house folk were out was clearly not something they should do, which, sure. Kind of funny how she went for that, rather than the peach poisoning or the art psychoanalysis scam.

She also said it was very different from what she was expecting because it didn't have a super clear hero or villain, and it was less class warry than she'd expected it to be.

Actually I'd be interested to see what a far right person would think of this movie, because maybe you could read it as an indictment of the Kims/cleaning lady/poor. I don't think it would be strong but I'm sure you could make that argument.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

I brought three more people to see it on my rewatch and got two more to see it without me!

I really liked how they showed time passing and wealth accumulation by what the family was eating at dinner, culminating in the kbbq scene where Ki-Jeong says they'll never get rid of their smell until they leave the sub-basement.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Architecture Digest did a little write up on the house and the movie’s set design.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/bong-joon-ho-parasite-movie-set-design-interview/amp

O-ver.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I really liked the characterization of the rich family. They were flawed, they had petty hang-ups, they were somewhat vain, they had a ton of blind spots, but they were fundamentally good people. I'd never considered wealth as something that "iron's out" flaws until the Kim matriarch brings it up late in the film. What a refreshing take

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got out of watching it

My big takeaway from the movie: The poor are too busy fighting each other over scraps to cooperate in taking down the rich

There’s an amazing image where a poor dying woman barfs into a toilet and the immediate next shot is a poor young woman opening a flooded toilet that sprays poo poo water in her face.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

God Hole posted:

I really liked the characterization of the rich family. They were flawed, they had petty hang-ups, they were somewhat vain, they had a ton of blind spots, but they were fundamentally good people. I'd never considered wealth as something that "iron's out" flaws until the Kim matriarch brings it up late in the film. What a refreshing take

That's...quite an interpretation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They’re parasites just like the poor. They use the working class to drive, cook and raise their children for scraps and treat them as disposable

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
https://twitter.com/DTantaquidgeon/status/1191948345230708736

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Takes that the rich people aren’t terrible are wild to me. Their son looked fine in his dad’s arms while a gurl was bleeding to death, and they demanded taking that son to the hospital. They fired their first driver for suspecting him of sleeping with a crackwhore, then literally fetishized that act in the only sex scene in the movie. They were so terrible in these two scenes, and just don’t care about the people who work for them at all.

Also do we know which of the family hosed up the pizza boxes? Everyone seemed to think it was the dad but I wasn’t sure why.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Also do we know which of the family hosed up the pizza boxes? Everyone seemed to think it was the dad but I wasn’t sure why.

I reached that conclusion not because of anything explicitly shown on screen but more that it makes sense in light of his frequent worries about not being able to fit in at the Parks household. Especially when considering how a lot of the tiny details are clever as hell I figured it makes the most sense for that to be the case.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fritzler posted:

The dad was looking at the fast folding video and, presumably, hosed up because he was going for speed over quality. The camera also cuts to a guilty look on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fritzler posted:

Takes that the rich people aren’t terrible are wild to me. Their son looked fine in his dad’s arms while a gurl was bleeding to death, and they demanded taking that son to the hospital. They fired their first driver for suspecting him of sleeping with a crackwhore, then literally fetishized that act in the only sex scene in the movie. They were so terrible in these two scenes, and just don’t care about the people who work for them at all.

I think its actually a nice touch that the rich family's failings are mostly presented as ignorance, because how could they realize they're terrible when society is kinda made for them?

Also when the brother says the only person that fits in is the sister and only because she doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else:laffo: