Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I took the "Another Brick" as referring to the ultimately worthless technology that Mr. Park's company creates, just another brick of some sort that does something fun and distracting but gives Mr. Park the great wealth that drives the whole plot.

I think I got most of what the movie was going for, but I didn't understand at the end why Mr. Kim killed Mr. Park. Was it rage and resentment brought on by seeing his daughter dying and flared up by Mr. Park covering his nose at that moment?

Besides that I loved the twists and turns and the way it was shot and the way it all came together so I'm glad it won best picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the buildup of all the emotional abuse he takes over the whole movie

He endures Mr Park announcing in front of both of his children that he smells bad and has the stench of poverty and he’s unable to defend himself

His home is destroyed with poo poo water and he sleeps in a gym and then is called into work the next morning and has to pretend everything is ok

Driving Mrs Park around while he’s tired, Mrs Park makes it obvious that she thinks he smells bad too

He is uncomfortable with the Indian skit and Mr Park subtly threatens his employment. Even though Mr Park is paying him overtime, Mr Kim feels like he’s been put down. It’s not about the money so much as the abuse he’s forced to endure

When his daughter is mortally wounded Mr Park leaves her behind and literally steps over her body to take his fainted son to the hospital

And finally he pinches his nose at Geunse. Mr Kim getting angry is a little ambiguous here because you can interpret it as 1) Mr Kim getting enraged that he’s looked down on and put in the same category as Geunse, or 2) having a moment of class solidarity and enraged that Mr Park looks down on Geunse

This makes sense, I noticed how red in the face he was when talking to him but didn't think much of it at the time.