Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cakesmith handyman posted:

2x6 floor structure. The long members are sitting on 4 ground screws each. Is the way I've drawn this okay or should the short ends be single pieces? Should this be joined together by framing nails or should the joists be on brackets/hangars?
Yes definitely joist hangers. The two short ends would be better as 1 long piece, and I would even put ground screws in them as well if they're not horribly expensive.

quote:

Corner of wall structure, long wall on the left. I gather the corners should be tripled up 2x4s so there's something to fix the interior plasterboard to on the inside corner. Is it okay to use the offcuts for the middle of those three uprights?
Yeah you can use offcuts. They are just there as a spacer.

I don't know what the price difference between plywood sheathing and OSB is for you (here plywood is ~20% more), or your budget, but for a small project like this I would spend the little bit of extra money to use plywood vs OSB at least for the subfloor and roof and sheathing too if you can afford it. It will outlast OSB 3:1, especially if/when it gets wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

What sort of plywood? I know marine plywood is rather expensive.
Exterior grade pine. It uses an exterior grade/water resistant glue, but not rot resistant core/veneers like marine grade. The pine plies will still rot with long term moisture exposure, but it doesn't turn to mush and swell up like OSB if it gets wet. The glue in OSB is sort of water resistant and it has a waxy coating on it so water beads off, but that is there to protect it if it gets rained on while the house is under construction, and doesn't really give any long term water resistance. Termites are a big problem here too and OSB seems to be their very favorite food. Here 3/4" OSB is ~$16/sheet and 3/4" exterior CDX pine is ~$20 sheet. Plywood is quite a bit stronger as well, but that's not as big a concern here.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Something like this?
https://www.alsfordtimber.com/sheet...0x18mm-elply18s

£25.80/sheet for 18mm "structural" plywood. OSB3 is £34.72, less for the (half-sheet) T&G version.

Yeah that looks like it assuming it has exterior grade glue. Surprised it is cheaper than OSB unless yíall have some kind of fancy Super-OSB over there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Your door is african mahogany imo. This has been fun to watch-things are happening to fast!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I especially love that the OSB finish would be worse than what's there now. I'm a little baffled why anyone would want that tbh.

That's the dumbest linoleum I've ever seen, lol.