Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The early 90s, with the release of the stone cold classic Street Fighter 2, started a fighting game boom that lasted a few years, and let to the release of some classic series.

My personal favorite of the time was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which according to spergy fighting game forums, is still probably the most balanced game in the series. I also played the usual suspects, the Mortal Kombats, Samurai Showdown, along with a bunch of just terrible fighting games released to take advantage. i don't know if World Heroes was good in the arcade, but it was terrible on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuQbWwEIpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPemy3KrJ8s

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I would kill a man for a new Rival Schools game. That was my favorite fighting game of the late 90s.

ETA:

I mained Roberto. He was pretty good for anti-air, and pegging people in the face from across the field styles of play.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 28, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I would kill a man for a new Rival Schools game. That was my favorite fighting game of the late 90s.

ETA:

I mained Roberto. He was pretty good for anti-air, and pegging people in the face from across the field styles of play.

I never actually played Rival Schools, think I was playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3 at the time

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I never actually played Rival Schools, think I was playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3 at the time

It's kinda Street Fighter and MvC-esque, but also not quite. Only two punches, and two kicks, though. Has something like the Alpha Counters from SF Alpha, attack canceling, and launchers. Team based combat, with two members, but you can't switch mid-battle, only use team up attacks. You can switch between rounds and fights, though. Specials through a charge bar, that goes to 9, and certain moves cost a certain amount of bars. So on.

I haven't played it in a while, so I have no idea if it holds up, since it was a late 90s-early 2000s 3D fighter, and some of them are pretty clunky these days. But it was a strong entry in the genre, at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's kinda Street Fighter and MvC-esque, but also not quite. Only two punches, and two kicks, though. Has something like the Alpha Counters from SF Alpha, attack canceling, and launchers. Team based combat, with two members, but you can't switch mid-battle, only use team up attacks. You can switch between rounds and fights, though. Specials through a charge bar, that goes to 9, and certain moves cost a certain amount of bars. So on.

I haven't played it in a while, so I have no idea if it holds up, since it was a late 90s-early 2000s 3D fighter, and some of them are pretty clunky these days. But it was a strong entry in the genre, at the time.

Speaking of clunky 3d fighters, I bet Battle Arena Toshinden has aged horribly, but I had a good time with it, way back in like 95

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Another fighting series that I remember enjoying that seems to be dead in the water post-PS2 era was Bloody Roar. I heard 4 didn't review terribly well. Not awful, but just "meh". So doubtful that one will come back either.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Another fighting series that I remember enjoying that seems to be dead in the water post-PS2 era was Bloody Roar. I heard 4 didn't review terribly well. Not awful, but just "meh". So doubtful that one will come back either.

Wasn't there a similar game to that, but much more openly furry bait?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I know there was a kickstarted game called Beast's Fury that was super furry, and that turned out to take the money and run. And there are probably others. But I don't recall anything specifically like Bloody Roar. But I stuck mostly to that, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, MvC2, Soulcalibur, and Guilty Gear. So I know big name titles I didn't play much, like Street Fighter and Tekken, but don't really know much about or remember more obscure titles.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
play3rdstrike(.com)

the only obscure(ish) fighting game i had exposure to as a kid was playing world heroes perfect at a place my family would eat at every friday night.

they also had samurai shodown 2 and tekken 2 which were rad as hell

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Speaking of Samurai Shodown, the Neo Geo AES was the system to have for a time if you wanted close to arcade perfect fighting games at home in the early 90s. The AES was technically fully compatible with the MVS cartridges, though you need adapters. They used different pin layouts, to keep arcade owners from buying the cheaper AES cartridges for arcade use. Some home versions, you could even just outright unlock the full arcade version with a special code.

Too bad the system was about a bajillion dollars at the time (introductory price of US $650 in 1991).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The SNK games were good, but why the gently caress were the bosses so drat hard?

who remembers this obscure fighter? I seem to remember enjoying it, but I might be the only one, since it never comes up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Speaking of Samurai Shodown, the Neo Geo AES was the system to have for a time if you wanted close to arcade perfect fighting games at home in the early 90s. The AES was technically fully compatible with the MVS cartridges, though you need adapters. They used different pin layouts, to keep arcade owners from buying the cheaper AES cartridges for arcade use. Some home versions, you could even just outright unlock the full arcade version with a special code.

Too bad the system was about a bajillion dollars at the time (introductory price of US $650 in 1991).

I wanted a Neo Geo so loving bad, but lol ain't no way in hell I was getting one

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

The SNK games were good, but why the gently caress were the bosses so drat hard?

who remembers this obscure fighter? I seem to remember enjoying it, but I might be the only one, since it never comes up

Ha, I rented that for the Genesis from Blockbuster once. Couldn't figure it out for poo poo. I don't know if that was the game's fault, or if it was because I was all of like ten at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ha, I rented that for the Genesis from Blockbuster once. Couldn't figure it out for poo poo. I don't know if that was the game's fault, or if it was because I was all of like ten at the time.

It was a pretty complicated game. First fighting game I can remember with parries and stuff, kinda like the later Street Fighter games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLij08MRiM
also had some pretty bloody fatalities

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 29, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring was a pretty underrated fighting game.

Plus you could play as Cloud and Tifa from FFVII which was pretty sweet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring was a pretty underrated fighting game.

Plus you could play as Cloud and Tifa from FFVII which was pretty sweet.

I spent more time on the dungeon crawler thing then I did the fighting game. The fighting part was sweet, but that side game devoured my life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ClayFighter was such a bizarre series. Not the concept, that's...eh. But like...having a special edition only available as a rental through Blockbuster. Which has ended up with it being one of the most expensive N64 to get your hands on. Might be the most, not sure.

Also, the super anime opening to Rival Schools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2STgVHTIFGs

So late 90s anime. I love it.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 29, 2019

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Eternal Champions on the Sega Genesis is loving ballin'

The battle room you could customize for vs and training was amazing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Besides SF2 the only one I played a lot was The Last Blade, which I found in a mame rom stash. It was really well animated and still fun today, just look at these fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iex3n-Tp5cE

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Darkstalkers was a pretty fun game

The only person I ever knew with a 3D0 had this lovely port. We didn't know it was trash at the time, of course, and just like basically everybody else, we banned Akuma :bahgawd:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've always been really bad at fighting games but I loved them as a kid, SF2 Turbo was always my favorite but I loved the Mortal Kombat games (mostly for the gore/spectacle) and I rented and played a lot of dumb poo poo like Clayfighters too.

My friend used to have the SF Anniversary Collection on PS2 and we would play a lot of Third Strike... I got pretty decent with Makoto but I haven't played in years

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/vTaCyjt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/IMJjZW3.mp4

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 30, 2019

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Randaconda posted:

Darkstalkers was a pretty fun game

The only person I ever knew with a 3D0 had this lovely port. We didn't know it was trash at the time, of course, and just like basically everybody else, we banned Akuma :bahgawd:

I always liked Darkstalkers more than SF2. My friends thought I was crazy but it was so much more fun. You could dash, chain moves for big combos, and you had a variety of awesome ES/EX moves. Playing SF2 felt prehistoric in comparison.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SF2 was several year olds at that point, would probably be more fair to compare DS to SF3

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Randaconda posted:

SF2 was several year olds at that point, would probably be more fair to compare DS to SF3

At the time nobody was playing SF3. SF2 and Alpha were still more popular (at least with the arcades I grew up around).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's true, Capcom managed to strangle SF3 at launch with that terrible roster. The Alpha series was good, though

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My favorite fighting game will forever and always be CvS2

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I used to import Japanese games for my Saturn, so having nearly arcade perfect ports of X-Men Vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter was a godsend to my fighting game obsessed self. Still, I play KOF the most, because I loved the cast, the stages, and most of all, the soundtrack was baller. I still listen to tracks from 96 and 99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqBkXT1FAg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably either Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo or WWE No Mercy (if that counts).

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is way up there, though.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQcx9fFBVY

Hey, I liked the theme a lot ok

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I already named Rival Schools as my favorite, I'd say Darkstalkers 3 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are tied for the spot. The characters in Darkstalkers always interested me way more than Street Fighter ever did (mained Jedah and Rikuo), and MvC2 is just plain awesome. I kind of want Capcom to return to Darkstalkers, but...seeing the hot mess MvC has become, I don't know....

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the last MvC turn into a hot mess or something

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Even though I suck poo poo at fighting games boy howdy do I have a lot I throw myself at every so often. I guess I'll start with bringing up Evil Zone. I have a friend who is all about that game like many other people and I've tried it twice. First time I didn't like it, second time went much better once I got a handle on the oddball battle system. I think the attack buttons are a bit context sensitive or at least they feel like it. Still I've got other other 3D fighters I'd probably rather play like Star Gladiators or Lightning Legend.

Edit: since we're talking about Marvel Vs games am I the only one who doesn't like them? I prefer straight 1 v 1 over having to switch characters mid fight.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 1, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Didn't the last MvC turn into a hot mess or something

3 Ultimate is alright. Infinite plays alright, but it's ugly, the characters feel stiff, the style overall is just dull, and the roster is smaller than MvC3's ended up being.

So of course, it's the only one to feature X, which I'd been clamoring for since Zero's boring red rear end showed up.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lots of late 90s ones were great, Rival Schools, Bloody Roar, even Street Fighter Ex (Plus Alpha?), 2D was mostly best but 3D still fun. A lot of these games had real good demos that I got many good hours out of, Tekken 2 and Battle Arena Tohshiden in particular. I could never figure out why I could do some of the crazy moves in BAT, like the crazy old claw guy spinning around and doing a bunch of massive fireballs. Game was bad but at least it let you dodge to the side (unlike Tekken at that point).

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: since we're talking about Marvel Vs games am I the only one who doesn't like them? I prefer straight 1 v 1 over having to switch characters mid fight.

I love marvel games but I agree with the 3v3 thing. I just can't get behind the assist / switching meta that those kinds of games introduce. Whenever I play MvC games or any game that makes you pick multiple characters, its usually just for fun with friends so we don't all get hung up on finding the best combinations of assists.

That being said, no one can defeat my roll, servbot, and juggernaut team.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

bossy lady posted:

That being said, no one can defeat my roll, servbot, and juggernaut team.

I forgot who I used for my last serious attempt at Ultimate MvC3 but I still remember the first time I tried the game I assembled "Team Lawyer-Birds" with Jean Grey Phoenix, She Hulk, and Phoenix Wright. I didn't get any where with them of course but I enjoyed my dumb theme.

Anybody do fighting games on handhelds? The sole reason I bought an NGPC was for Gals' Fighter and Battle Arena Toshinden on Gameboy is better than it has any right to be. There's also some passable ones on DS as well.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kazvall posted:

My favorite fighting game will forever and always be CvS2

Keep rockin bay bay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Mortal Kombat Trilogy used to be one of my favorites, even though I've always been terrible at MK, and even when I was young and uncritical I could tell it was unbalanced and kind of crap. But there were women with boob-window costumes so many characters! And I actually loved all the palette-swap ninjas for some reason, particularly Rain for being both purple and ludicrously overpowered. It was years before I realized the Prince reference.