Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The early 90s, with the release of the stone cold classic Street Fighter 2, started a fighting game boom that lasted a few years, and let to the release of some classic series.

My personal favorite of the time was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which according to spergy fighting game forums, is still probably the most balanced game in the series. I also played the usual suspects, the Mortal Kombats, Samurai Showdown, along with a bunch of just terrible fighting games released to take advantage. i don't know if World Heroes was good in the arcade, but it was terrible on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuQbWwEIpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPemy3KrJ8s

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I would kill a man for a new Rival Schools game. That was my favorite fighting game of the late 90s.

ETA:

I mained Roberto. He was pretty good for anti-air, and pegging people in the face from across the field styles of play.

I never actually played Rival Schools, think I was playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3 at the time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's kinda Street Fighter and MvC-esque, but also not quite. Only two punches, and two kicks, though. Has something like the Alpha Counters from SF Alpha, attack canceling, and launchers. Team based combat, with two members, but you can't switch mid-battle, only use team up attacks. You can switch between rounds and fights, though. Specials through a charge bar, that goes to 9, and certain moves cost a certain amount of bars. So on.

I haven't played it in a while, so I have no idea if it holds up, since it was a late 90s-early 2000s 3D fighter, and some of them are pretty clunky these days. But it was a strong entry in the genre, at the time.

Speaking of clunky 3d fighters, I bet Battle Arena Toshinden has aged horribly, but I had a good time with it, way back in like 95

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Another fighting series that I remember enjoying that seems to be dead in the water post-PS2 era was Bloody Roar. I heard 4 didn't review terribly well. Not awful, but just "meh". So doubtful that one will come back either.

Wasn't there a similar game to that, but much more openly furry bait?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The SNK games were good, but why the gently caress were the bosses so drat hard?

who remembers this obscure fighter? I seem to remember enjoying it, but I might be the only one, since it never comes up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Speaking of Samurai Shodown, the Neo Geo AES was the system to have for a time if you wanted close to arcade perfect fighting games at home in the early 90s. The AES was technically fully compatible with the MVS cartridges, though you need adapters. They used different pin layouts, to keep arcade owners from buying the cheaper AES cartridges for arcade use. Some home versions, you could even just outright unlock the full arcade version with a special code.

Too bad the system was about a bajillion dollars at the time (introductory price of US $650 in 1991).

I wanted a Neo Geo so loving bad, but lol ain't no way in hell I was getting one

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ha, I rented that for the Genesis from Blockbuster once. Couldn't figure it out for poo poo. I don't know if that was the game's fault, or if it was because I was all of like ten at the time.

It was a pretty complicated game. First fighting game I can remember with parries and stuff, kinda like the later Street Fighter games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLij08MRiM
also had some pretty bloody fatalities

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 29, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Darkstalkers was a pretty fun game

The only person I ever knew with a 3D0 had this lovely port. We didn't know it was trash at the time, of course, and just like basically everybody else, we banned Akuma :bahgawd:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/vTaCyjt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/IMJjZW3.mp4

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 30, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SF2 was several year olds at that point, would probably be more fair to compare DS to SF3

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's true, Capcom managed to strangle SF3 at launch with that terrible roster. The Alpha series was good, though

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably either Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo or WWE No Mercy (if that counts).

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is way up there, though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the last MvC turn into a hot mess or something

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rollersnake posted:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy used to be one of my favorites, even though I've always been terrible at MK, and even when I was young and uncritical I could tell it was unbalanced and kind of crap. But there were women with boob-window costumes so many characters! And I actually loved all the palette-swap ninjas for some reason, particularly Rain for being both purple and ludicrously overpowered. It was years before I realized the Prince reference.

Trilogy is pretty fun, and is still kinda deep to be so drat unbalanced. Helps if you ban the bosses, since they were not balanced at all with the other characters, along with Noob Saibot and Rain, since they are both stupidly broken with easy infinites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-7F2Vf87A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrve2I58Xc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I remembered a title out of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9p5BkwXTM

I remember it being decidedly mediocre, and clearly trying to get that MK lightning to strike twice.

Wasn't that basically a tech demo for MK4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

What exactly are the tiers for Street Fighter II? Did they change much through the various rereleases? I kind of got the impression that T. Hawk was way overpowered because he has huge reach but that's about it.

in Third Strike, pretty sure Chun-Li and Ken were 1 and 2 in some order, then a large gap, then the others.

EDIT: welp, I was wrong

1 Chun-Li
2 Yun
3 Ken
4 Makoto
5 Yang
6 Dudley
7 Akuma
8 Urien
9 Ryu
10 Ibuki
11 Oro
12 Elena
13 Necro
14 Alex
15 Remy
16 Q
17 Hugo
18 Sean
19 Twelve

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 1, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

What exactly are the tiers for Street Fighter II? Did they change much through the various rereleases? I kind of got the impression that T. Hawk was way overpowered because he has huge reach but that's about it.

just noticed you said for SF2. I'll give you the tier list for Super Street FIghter 2 Turbo, since it's the most balanced. And lol, both T. Hawk and Zangief are pretty lovely.

SSS Rank:
Akuma
- extremely powerful, cannot be dizzied, red fireball can lock characters down in the corner infinitely, is usually banned in every tournament

S Rank:
O.Sagat, Dhalsim, Boxer, Claw, Chun

A Rank:
Ryu, Dee Jay, Guile, O.Ken, Dictator, O.Hawk

B Rank:
N.Ken, N.Honda, Fei-Long, N.Sagat

C Rank:
Zangief, Cammy, Blanka, N.Hawk

quote:

Super Turbo is more about matchups than definitive tiers. Every N.Character is competitive and several O.Characters are competitive as well (though not all of them). There is no character that is completely excluded from tournament level play because they aren't effectively competitive. While Dhalsim and O.Sagat are clearly better overall than Cammy and N.Hawk, the top tier characters are still beatable, and the low tier characters are still capable of winning. That being said, the odds of seeing Dhalsim and O.Sagat in the later rounds of a tournament, are noticeably higher than seeing a T.Hawk, Blanka, or Cammy player make their way to the finals. But unlike many other fighting games, the lowest tiered characters in ST still make appearances in tournament finals, no one character is completely shutout. In retrospect it is truly amazing to see how ST has evolved into a more balanced game than Capcom ever imagined.

Akuma however is banned in basically every tournament, because he is far too powerful, and dominates the entire cast unfairly. Capcom designed him as a secret boss character for a reason. His air fireball is next to impossible to deal with for most of the cast. His red fireball can be used to infinitely lock any opponent in blockstun in the corner for a perfect, inescapable blockstring, complete with chip damage. And his normals and special moves also have ridiculously high priority hit boxes. It is extremely rare to see a tournament allow Akuma to be used.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 1, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

Huh I remembered him being very good or very bad and I guess good seemed more logical because of the reach thing. So what's wrong with him?

From what I recall, he's slow, big hitbox, 360 motion is hard to do sometimes, 720 even more so, combos are so-so at best, and it's really, really hard to get in close with him without getting punished.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember Reptile rose quite a bit in MK3/UMK3 after a decade or more after people figured out more poo poo he could do

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There are some deece pre-SF2 fighting games but SF2 was kind of the perfect storm in getting almost all the pieces into place and it's no wonder that pretty much every single fighting game since is directly patterned after it.

Playing SF2 for the first time, on my trusty SNES, was an experience. I had never even thought about a game like that before.

It also started the long tradition of the computer walking towards you and doing charge moves on the harder difficulties.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am pretty sure this song is seared into my head for all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lencho posted:

TMNT Tournament Fighters is one of my favorites on the SNES. A surprisingly diverse cast, great control, super moves, a cool single player mode and an awesome soundtrack make this one of the best fighting games on the SNES IMHO. Balance was non-existent but that's to be expected on old fighting games. The NES version is also pretty decent, but avoid the Genesis version at all costs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVqKJWI9uc

SF2 wasn't balanced, but it wasn't terribly unbalanced, iirc. You could still win with Dhalsim and Zangief

edit: og SF2, obviously, before Dhalsim was top tier in the later iterations

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or smoking weed and playing UMK3 while listening to it when I was like sixteen

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first MK movie is still the best video game movie

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXumdz-0LXY

I'm sad I was the only one to vote Killer Instinct. Out of all the games on my MAME cabinet, it's the game I play the most. To this day I don't understand how the backgrounds work. They are 3-d renders converted to 2-d video, but somehow rotate as you move along the stage?? I also think the graphics are better than KI which is kind of weird when you think about it.

I am also another one ITT that loves Mortal Kombat Trilogy but I am pretty bummed there is no definitive version. The PC version runs like poo poo in Win 10 (plus it's lower resolution than the arcade), the PS1 version looks and sounds the best but has atrocious load times (even when running it from an SSD) and the N64 version has the most characters and zero loading but sounds like dog poo poo.

I'd do drat near anything for someone to mod the arcade version of UMK3 into MKT.

Trilogy is broken as hell, not balanced at all, but I played the hell out of it with the fellas back in the day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

funnily enough, a guy who does competitive analysis of MK games just did a video on Trilogy a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It2w5vCsy3k

tl;dr: you're not quite right, it's a lot more balanced than you'd figure. the only things that throw it off are Rain, Noob Saibot, some jank with the retro characters on PS1 (and jank with Sub-Zero on N64), and a PS1-exclusive nasty bug relating to the Aggressor feature. past that, it's basically just UMK3 But Moreso, and UMK3 is a pretty decently balanced game.

Yeah, I can see that. I was mainly thinking about Rain and Noob, who are broken as hell, as well as the bosses, who aren't balanced with the other characters at loving all.

UMK3 still has a small competitive community, last I heard.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who remembers this port?

The SNES struggled mightily with it, even with stripped down frames and sprite size. The only SNES game I ever played with loving load time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Batman Forever had this too lol

Was that the one with the Mortal Kombat control scheme for some reason?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I bought this game in a little box set for the PS2 with Deception and Deadly Alliance, and it was by far the worst loving MK game I've ever played. No wonder they had to reboot the series. (and go back to 2D, thank god)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if I had to choose one, either MK2 or UMK3 would be my favorite.

I swear MK3/UMK3 were harder on consoles than in the arcade, wtf

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah MK2 and UMK3 are the poo poo. I honestly couldn't get into the 3d ones. It really pissed me off when down + HP stopped doing uppercuts.

At least they learned their lesson with MK9.
And even had a decent story mode.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I dunno, I really miss the digitized graphics. There's something not as fun when doing a fatality on a bunch of polygons. I also miss the stiff controls of the first three games.

The digitized graphics were fun, but I don't miss the controls. They were always so much worse than the SF2 controls.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wrong with air guarding?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the GBA only have four buttons

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty interesting article from one of the designers of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HDR about what went wrong with balancing Akuma

http://www.sirlin.net/sf-hdr/akuma

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Primal Rage would likely be more fondly remembered if they had ported the later version that changed the special moves into motions like regular fighters, instead of the weird rear end motions the early versions and 16 bit ports, at least, had.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quiet Feet posted:

Has anyone else played Tuff E Nuff for the SNES? It was a janky 1v1 fighter made by Jaleco, whose bread and butter on the system was janky beat-em-ups and sports games. In some ways it's pretty obviously a Street Fighter 2 ripoff but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like Randaconda was noting with Primal Rage, there were a lot of 2D fighters at the time just throwing in whatever the hell button combo a developer decided on after ripping a line of coke. Tuff E Nuff at least had the good manners to make the button combos sensible, if not perfectly imitating SF2 and the like. IIRC the fireball and fancypants punch attacks of the Ryu/Ken clones here were something like hold forward 1 second, hit diagonal back left. Which isn't really any trickier than a half-circle backwards or any "hold direction, push other direction" move.

The game had a story mode where you could play as one of four different characters and... y'know what, I feel like I need to do an effort post on this one. I really liked this game because it was ambitious in a "B movie that's obviously trying its best" kind of way. It definitely has its issues and is not remotely balanced, but it's a lot of fun.

That box art. :randpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember one game, which I can't remember the title of, had "Mega 8 Meg Action!" right on the front