Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
man this crap is lame
at least you got a job
:fap:
gently caress YOU OP - GOKU
View Results

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm renting out some rooms in my house (I live there), to a guy and a girl in their mid 20s. There is lots of frustrating drama. The guy is very easy to talk to but drinks a lot which causes him to do stuff like leave doors unlocked and fall asleep with the tv and lights on all night, and annoying poo poo like spilling food on the carpet sometimes (he makes an effort to clean it). He also swears loudly all the time on the phone etc and shouts at his cat when it meows a lot, which I think scares the girl (he treats the cat very well otherwise). Girl is a full time student, quiet and keeps to herself, but is also impossible to talk to and really dirty. Her room smells awful whenever the door is open. I'm confident she has undiagnosed mental issues because she will flip out unexpectedly over very minor things.

They hate each other and can't sort anything out between themselves. Guy is trying to move out but can't find a place that will also take his cat. They've both been coming to me accusing the other of stealing food and toiletries, and telling me about little incidents where he said something mean to her or she threatened to break his stuff. I offered to get a lock installed on girl's bedroom door so she could feel more secure, but she declined and said I would use it as leverage against her later. She also refused to take my advice about keeping her belongings in her room, saying she shouldn't have to adjust her lifestyle to deal with his lack of respect for others. She's also pretty bitchy to me about not just taking her word for it and trying to get rid of him.

I feel like a parent to teenagers, but I need the money so I'm putting up with it. I don't want to try and evict girl right now because I know how much something like that can gently caress up your semester, especially if she really does have mental problems. She's been here for about a year and I've tried to involve her when I'm interviewing tenants so that she can be confident that the new housemate will be a good fit, but she wasn't around when guy came to check the place out. It probably wouldn't have mattered because they only started getting annoyed with each other after about 4 months.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m going to be doing a week of night shifts, but it’s dependent on some progress being made on the project so I have no idea when it’s going to be. Originally I was going to start last Wednesday, then Monday, then... maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. As a result I’ve been on a night shift sleep cycle, which I hate, waiting for my phone to go off, which I also hate. I can’t really even be pissed at anyone for not telling me what the plan is, because they’re not sure either. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm trying to make a significant change in my lifestyle because I found it feeding into a neverending cycle of anxiety and self loathing and it's grinding mah gears!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Woke up with a hemorrhoid. Its probably from the curry chili i made with Elk burger three nights ago. Tasted great but I didn't realize how much I was forcing poops.

Sucks because its been like 5 years since I had one

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Shoulda put some beans in that chili

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

a neverending cycle of anxiety and self loathing

Sadly this is the only way to achieve immortality

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My wife is dissatisfied with her job. She has a pretty important position, and so has more leverage than she realizes to demands QoL improvements, but won't do it no matter how much I encourage her.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Icochet posted:

Sadly this is the only way to achieve immortality

I'll just have to settle for impermanence then.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I have to go to a big important meeting on my day off and my fiancee has the car so I need to take this city's rickety rear end transit system across the whole loving width of the city tripling the time it takes me to get there at loving six in the morning! gently caress!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

Shoulda put some beans in that chili

:hmmyes:

It's not chili without them, imo.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Among other things, I feel like I spend all of my time doing things for other people, be it work (which is kicking my rear end), my geriatric father who's in poor health and needs almost constant attention (and is also a very difficult person to deal with), or my wife with which whom I'm currently kind of separated (I don't know, I'm staying at my fathers house at her request but I'm at my house every day doing stuff like laudry, cooking cleaning, maintenance etc., it's complicated) or any number of other people who all seem to gravitate to me for help, and I have a hard time turning people down when they're in need.

I'm lucky if I have even half an hour a night to do things I need to do for me, and if I want to do anything like relax or play a game or watch a tv show or whatever, that's just cutting into my sleep time at that point, and I'm having a very hard time sleeping through the night as it is, so any recreation is pretty much out.

And since the weather is changing, my sinuses are in full on revolt, so I have a sinus headache most of the time and just generally feel like crap.

The only bright spot is that I have one of my dogs with me. Sometimes he's literally the only good thing about my day.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Jay_Zombie posted:

Among other things, I feel like I spend all of my time doing things for other people, be it work (which is kicking my rear end), my geriatric father who's in poor health and needs almost constant attention (and is also a very difficult person to deal with), or my wife with which whom I'm currently kind of separated (I don't know, I'm staying at my fathers house at her request but I'm at my house every day doing stuff like laudry, cooking cleaning, maintenance etc., it's complicated) or any number of other people who all seem to gravitate to me for help, and I have a hard time turning people down when they're in need.

I'm lucky if I have even half an hour a night to do things I need to do for me, and if I want to do anything like relax or play a game or watch a tv show or whatever, that's just cutting into my sleep time at that point, and I'm having a very hard time sleeping through the night as it is, so any recreation is pretty much out.

And since the weather is changing, my sinuses are in full on revolt, so I have a sinus headache most of the time and just generally feel like crap.

The only bright spot is that I have one of my dogs with me. Sometimes he's literally the only good thing about my day.

This is gonna sound like motivational BS, but people come to you for help bc you're stable and capable. That's a good thing, but people who need help are a lot like drowning victims. If you don't help them in the right way they can drag you down. Set some boundaries and take care of yourself too.

Also, poo poo or get off the pot with regard to your marriage. I know it's easier said than done, but stasis in a situation like that will kill you from the inside out. Neither of you are likely happy with the current situation, so be the one to take initiative and tell your spouse what you want.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Rad-daddio posted:

This is gonna sound like motivational BS, but people come to you for help bc you're stable and capable. That's a good thing, but people who need help are a lot like drowning victims. If you don't help them in the right way they can drag you down. Set some boundaries and take care of yourself too.

Also, poo poo or get off the pot with regard to your marriage. I know it's easier said than done, but stasis in a situation like that will kill you from the inside out. Neither of you are likely happy with the current situation, so be the one to take initiative and tell your spouse what you want.

Nah, that's solid advice. Thank you.

Definitely easier said than done. I'm not great at confrontation, which is something that I have to work on.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Stop caring about other peoples problems

Sucks about your dad though, that may be one relationship you want to keep up, even if he's being a prick while being in need. Gotta get that inheritance, son

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cubone posted:

oh, and in the multiple choice segment, like 80% of the right answers were D
I think I did fine but honestly why would he do that?
what are you testing, our confidence?

it's like if you were taking a math test, and there was one addition problem, one subtraction problem, one multiplication, one long division, one algebraic, and geometric, one derivative, one integral, and one linear algebra, and the answer to every single one of them was "2"
why are you loving with our heads? is this really the time for mind games? are you the goddamned riddler?

I've written exams where the prof intentionally designed it so if you got 100%, the scantron would look like this:

code:
Just to gently caress with people.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Thread is making me want a cat. If I had cat I wouldn’t be alone and stressed. Animals around liven things up.

Who am I kidding the cat would hate me for trapping him in a small apartment. Would sleep on my face when asleep and claw at my stuff.

:smith:

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, that's like reasoning yourself into having a kid to combat loneliness.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

DropsySufferer posted:

Thread is making me want a cat. If I had cat I wouldn’t be alone and stressed. Animals around liven things up.

Who am I kidding the cat would hate me for trapping him in a small apartment. Would sleep on my face when asleep and claw at my stuff.

:smith:

That's just a cat doing normal cat stuff.

...which you can train out of them. Cats are similar to dogs in that they like routine, attention and activities. If you're the type of person that would worry about a cat's well being to the point of feeling inadequate you'd make a much better pet owner than many.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
We have someone going on vacation next week. Up to this point, one of the day shift guys was gonna cover it. Now he's saying "oh well i didn't get a babysitter in time to get my kids on the bus so I can't work any of the overtime"

So he basically is expecting me and the other night guy to work our normal shift til 2am then one of is come back at 5am, work til he and the other day guy get in at 9:30am then leave and come back for our regular shift start at 5:30pm. All week. While he and the other day guy work 0 hours of overtime and are unaffected.

I get it, you gotta get your kids on the bus. Theyre too young to leave at home. It just irritates the hell out of me because I don't mind helping out, but this dude had been using his kids/family stuff as a shield all year to dodge overtime. Just because I don't have kids doesn't make my time at home any less valuable. I still want to see my wife and spend time with her during my off hours, you gently caress

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skypie posted:

We have someone going on vacation next week. Up to this point, one of the day shift guys was gonna cover it. Now he's saying "oh well i didn't get a babysitter in time to get my kids on the bus so I can't work any of the overtime"

So he basically is expecting me and the other night guy to work our normal shift til 2am then one of is come back at 5am, work til he and the other day guy get in at 9:30am then leave and come back for our regular shift start at 5:30pm. All week. While he and the other day guy work 0 hours of overtime and are unaffected.

I get it, you gotta get your kids on the bus. Theyre too young to leave at home. It just irritates the hell out of me because I don't mind helping out, but this dude had been using his kids/family stuff as a shield all year to dodge overtime. Just because I don't have kids doesn't make my time at home any less valuable. I still want to see my wife and spend time with her during my off hours, you gently caress

Night shift always gets hosed, and also gets blamed for everything. It really sucks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm renting out some rooms in my house (I live there), to a guy and a girl in their mid 20s. There is lots of frustrating drama. The guy is very easy to talk to but drinks a lot which causes him to do stuff like leave doors unlocked and fall asleep with the tv and lights on all night, and annoying poo poo like spilling food on the carpet sometimes (he makes an effort to clean it). He also swears loudly all the time on the phone etc and shouts at his cat when it meows a lot, which I think scares the girl (he treats the cat very well otherwise). Girl is a full time student, quiet and keeps to herself, but is also impossible to talk to and really dirty. Her room smells awful whenever the door is open. I'm confident she has undiagnosed mental issues because she will flip out unexpectedly over very minor things.

They hate each other and can't sort anything out between themselves. Guy is trying to move out but can't find a place that will also take his cat. They've both been coming to me accusing the other of stealing food and toiletries, and telling me about little incidents where he said something mean to her or she threatened to break his stuff. I offered to get a lock installed on girl's bedroom door so she could feel more secure, but she declined and said I would use it as leverage against her later. She also refused to take my advice about keeping her belongings in her room, saying she shouldn't have to adjust her lifestyle to deal with his lack of respect for others. She's also pretty bitchy to me about not just taking her word for it and trying to get rid of him.

I feel like a parent to teenagers, but I need the money so I'm putting up with it. I don't want to try and evict girl right now because I know how much something like that can gently caress up your semester, especially if she really does have mental problems. She's been here for about a year and I've tried to involve her when I'm interviewing tenants so that she can be confident that the new housemate will be a good fit, but she wasn't around when guy came to check the place out. It probably wouldn't have mattered because they only started getting annoyed with each other after about 4 months.
i have the lease on a big rear end house and i feel your pain

my current roommates are awesome though

im sorta trying to escape but the rent is cheap

:shrug:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Night shift always gets hosed, and also gets blamed for everything. It really sucks.

We're supposed to be a shop of 8. We currently have 6. One of them is still in his probation period so he's not allowed to bid on overtime (and couldn't cover the place by himself anyway). That's down to 5, and the guy taking vacation brings is to 4. Then two guys are saying they won't/can't work the overtime so out of 6 guys, it's left to 2 to cover the overtime. That's bullshit, and I've voiced my opinion on it pretty sternly to our general foreman - who agrees.

I don't mind doing a double, but I'm not gonna work 20 hours in a 36 hour period, that's fuckin ridiculous

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
I am grateful to have a full time union job but I have painted myself in to a corner career-wise and have literally zero chance of promotion or advancement. I contemplate going back to school but I would take a 45% pay cut probably with no guarantee anything would improve. Anyways I weep at the prospect of working this same job for the next 25 years (if this company still exists then)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MustardFacial posted:

I've written exams where the prof intentionally designed it so if you got 100%, the scantron would look like this:

code:
Just to gently caress with people.

At the same time, if you're smart you'd realize that having such a distinct pattern is nearly impossible if it was actually random, meaning you'd want to check each answer that doesn't fit the pattern. If you're smart about it then the prof is actually doing a favor

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I'm frustrated by making it several weeks into what I hope will be a relationship, juussssst to the point where I'm like "you know, this actually seems like someone I could see spending time with long term" only to have it dissolve. Then I get to restart all over from the beginning with someone new and have to pretend like I don't think that's just going to happen all over again. It's like the worlds worst video game where even the slightest glitch means you get to start back at the begging, and the first few levels loving suck.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

dev286 posted:

I am grateful to have a full time union job but I have painted myself in to a corner career-wise and have literally zero chance of promotion or advancement. I contemplate going back to school but I would take a 45% pay cut probably with no guarantee anything would improve. Anyways I weep at the prospect of working this same job for the next 25 years (if this company still exists then)

The curse of stability.

Not every major life change needs a fancy diploma. If you're going to school to pursue what you really want to do, then maybe it would make sense but see if you can get into your desired field with your existing education/experience.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

man some days im all grr and other days more like buh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Biohazard posted:

I'm frustrated by making it several weeks into what I hope will be a relationship, juussssst to the point where I'm like "you know, this actually seems like someone I could see spending time with long term" only to have it dissolve. Then I get to restart all over from the beginning with someone new and have to pretend like I don't think that's just going to happen all over again. It's like the worlds worst video game where even the slightest glitch means you get to start back at the begging, and the first few levels loving suck.

Did you at least get to touch boob?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Did you at least get to touch boob?

Oh totally got some boob touchin in. But I'm getting old enough where boob touchin aint enough anymore.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

My upstairs neighbor watches The Office from 7pm to 2am every night and I hear the theme song every 18-24 minutes like in that BSG episode where the cylons kept attacking. It's loud enough that I can distinguish individual voices. I drowned it out over the summer with the wall unit but now it's cold and I don't have a good way to block the noise but I'm also too cowardly to ask the neighbor to turn it down. He also stomped on the floor once when my cat was meowing which was :ironicat:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biohazard posted:

I know exactly what you mean, and it’s loving exhausting. I had a new relationship end with no warning and minimal explanation a few weeks ago and it’s like “fuuuuck... I don’t feel like doing that again right now but I also don’t want to be single”.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Yeah it's tough when you're motivation isn't "wow wouldn't it be great to meet someone to spend my life with" and is instead just the existential dread that comes from the fear of staring into the void of a future of loneliness. Like "welp, I should probably get back out there so that I don't die alone in a log cabin in the woods an no one finds my body for 6 weeks."

And yes, exhausting is the right word.

EDIT: You know, credit where credit is due. This person actually called me up on the phone at let me know, instead of just texting or, as is much more common these days, just ghosting me. I know why women in particular do this, as a lot of men are just loving nightmares about it, but let that be an example to you people, be a loving adult and call the person.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 30, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

poo poo I wish I could afford a wood cabin to die alone and unloved in

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Colonel Cancer posted:

poo poo I wish I could afford a wood cabin to die alone and unloved in

:same: More accuratly, it'd be on the streets.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

My upstairs neighbor watches The Office from 7pm to 2am every night and I hear the theme song every 18-24 minutes like in that BSG episode where the cylons kept attacking. It's loud enough that I can distinguish individual voices. I drowned it out over the summer with the wall unit but now it's cold and I don't have a good way to block the noise but I'm also too cowardly to ask the neighbor to turn it down. He also stomped on the floor once when my cat was meowing which was :ironicat:

Always Sunny in Philadelphia is your answer, friendo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biohazard posted:

Yeah it's tough when you're motivation isn't "wow wouldn't it be great to meet someone to spend my life with" and is instead just the existential dread that comes from the fear of staring into the void of a future of loneliness. Like "welp, I should probably get back out there so that I don't die alone in a log cabin in the woods an no one finds my body for 6 weeks."

And yes, exhausting is the right word.

EDIT: You know, credit where credit is due. This person actually called me up on the phone at let me know, instead of just texting or, as is much more common these days, just ghosting me. I know why women in particular do this, as a lot of men are just loving nightmares about it, but let that be an example to you people, be a loving adult and call the person.

Mine’s not existential dread so much. I had been single for a while before and fine with it, but things with this girl were electric and I need another hit of that. Got along with her great, things were awesome, until, to go along with your edit, I got a text saying she’s got too much stuff going on in her life and she doesn’t want a relationship now. I was a mite blindsided and the way she did it made it even worse. :smith:

Also she still has a bunch of my stuff at her apartment which is a pain in the rear end.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Play posted:

At the same time, if you're smart you'd realize that having such a distinct pattern is nearly impossible if it was actually random, meaning you'd want to check each answer that doesn't fit the pattern. If you're smart about it then the prof is actually doing a favor

Everyone got so paranoid about the pattern, thinking "there's no way it would be like this on purpose" that we all went back and changed the answers we were even a little iffy about. The prof laughed at the whole class going "it was a really obvious pattern. Just be confident in your answers."

The next exam had the first 10 or so questions start out the same way and then went back to the usual random distribution. Not as many people fell for it, but a couple totally did.

[edit] I should clarify that he started the class at the beginning of the semester explaining how he re-randomizes his test bank every semester so if you ever find an answer sheet from a previous year it'll be moot. He really emphasized the "It's all totally random."

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 31, 2019

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Rad-daddio posted:

The curse of stability.

Not every major life change needs a fancy diploma. If you're going to school to pursue what you really want to do, then maybe it would make sense but see if you can get into your desired field with your existing education/experience.

I've been in my field for 15 years now, working terrible shifts and part time at the beginning. But the industry is slowly dying and I'm left with skills that may be transferable but would lead me back to part-time or low pay again... Anyways I feel totally paralyzed. Also now I have 2 kids and a spouse.

I feel like life will force my hand. I'm low in seniority so if cuts come it's likely I'm gone.

I get why my folks were how they were now.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
My home life is a disaster, and I've been using work to escape.
Recently at work, they put me in charge of training someone who I have a history with, our situation ending in a way that caused us to avoid each other as much as possible for the next three and a half years. The first few weeks of training were a little weird, but we kept things professional and basically pretended we didn't know each other. They took a week of vacation, and it was nice to get some space. When they came back, they tried to initiate several conversations about our falling out. Eventually I acquiesced and let them get their bullshit off their chest. Then I went on vacation, and I don't know how I feel.
I was supposed to go to the movies today, but i just forgot and worked on a project all morning instead.

Also, I've been drinking a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I got my degree nearly a year ago and feel trapped in my lovely part time job where there's not even a hope of advancement into something that could support me and my son.
Also, the new boss is off the deep end doing blatantly illegal stuff and half the staff at least is either transferring out or talking to hr about the boss.