Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i have a bayonet from 1900 (around the spanish american war) and a bayonet from germany in the 1930s. i also have a number of coins that are older. tons of canadian coins from the 19th century.

my oldest coin in dated 1798 from the Holy Roman Empire. i found it at a garage sale in an old shoe box for $1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

This is not the exact coin, but I have one of these 1842 large head pennies. It's from a large cache of coins, many of them silver, hidden in my great grandparents attic. There were a few Nazi coins as well, along with various other European currencies.

It's about the size of a quarter.

its funny to see the evolution of the size of the penny. i have canadian pennies from the same period and they are the size of a dollar coin today (also thicker)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

This looks like it was stolen from a museum. Backstory?

a very large percentage of these kinds of artifacts get into the private market. depending on where it is from it might have been illegal to sell it or remove it from the country. though it could just be a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation since 1550BC

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pickwick High posted:

It was bought from a dealer in 1975 that's all I know
:thunk:
thats a very convenient year to have on that Canaanite artifact, considering Israeli law forbids the sale of any artifact unearthed after 1978

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It is less "gun safe" and more the fact I don't have a good place to store it at the moment and don't just want it hanging in the open. If someone stole it and tried to operate it I would be very impressed.

you could probably make a superior weapon with a metal tube from the hardware store and an electric BBQ lighter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Former DILF posted:

those are like priceless right

here's a 13th century sword you can buy on Ebay right now. i can assure you it has a price :v:

quote:

Condition:
Used
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13th-Century-Knights-Sword/183285895086

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Myron Baloney posted:

I got my son a nice Saharan handaxe, on the one hand I feel bad about the immense number of artifacts from that part of the world getting sold in bulk but on the other it is really inspiring to handle it and think about human creativity and craft at work something like 300,000 years ago.

don't feel bad about owning neolithic handaxes. those things are as common as dirt. people made new handaxes all the time and then just threw them away instead of carrying it around

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I had a bunch of swords from various centuries, but I left them at my parents' place, and dad gave them away when he had Alzheimer's.

At least I still have one from WWII...

who was using swords in WW2?

edit: Japan :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

300,000 years ago we lived in trees and could still crossbreed with chimps

....are you a yeti?