Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Counterpoint: No one was good in AoA except the colorists on the Generation Next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rick posted:

Sunfire was great in AoA. I feel like he showed up in one of the weird late 90s early 00 teams for half a year or so too. Also maybe there was a second sunfire at some point?

There was a second Thunderbird but I don't think there was a second Sunfire.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're probably thinking of Mariko Yashida, who was Sunfire in Exiles

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This is a great lineup but did Hickman ever reveal the super secret awesome insider secret Hickman reason why Jean is still wearing her high school clothes or did that just...go nowhere?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He has a sister with the same powers but her codename was Sunpyre, I think? And then Exiles had a version of Wolverine's ex Mariko that was queer and also Sunfire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I hadn't thought about that. Have Rogue and Synch been in a book together before?

synch was in generation x from his introduction in phalanx covenant until his death. he stayed dead until krakoa, so he was never a formal x-man or on any other teams. i just think it is wild that they have someone who copies powers on the same team as someone who borrows them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

synch was in generation x from his introduction in phalanx covenant until his death. he stayed dead until krakoa, so he was never a formal x-man or on any other teams. i just think it is wild that they have someone who copies powers on the same team as someone who borrows them.

Yeah, I knew he was mostly Generation X, I was just wondering if maybe Rogue guested in the book ever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

This is a great lineup but did Hickman ever reveal the super secret awesome insider secret Hickman reason why Jean is still wearing her high school clothes or did that just...go nowhere?

did he ever imply there would be a super secret awesome insider secret Hickman reason for Jean to wear the Marvel Girl outfit other than "he thinks its a good costume" which is what he said when it was first shown

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always hated the old Marvel Girl costume, but it's honestly grown on me since HoX/Pox.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do enjoy Sunfire’s gimmick of leaving, because he doesn’t want to be here

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Listen to your heart.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If he likes it, cool, but it does read to me as a grown-rear end woman wearing a sundress she used to wear in 10th grade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

If he likes it, cool, but it does read to me as a grown-rear end woman wearing a sundress she used to wear in 10th grade.

Between resurrections and sliding time scale Jean Grey is in her late 20's at most. If she just aged normally she's about the same age as Spider-Man and Marvel refuses to let him turn 30 in the main continuity. She's died and come back to life multiple times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Between resurrections and sliding time scale Jean Grey is in her late 20's at most. If she just aged normally she's about the same age as Spider-Man and Marvel refuses to let him turn 30 in the main continuity. She's died and come back to life multiple times.

If a woman of 30 was dressing like she did when she was 16, it would seem a little out of place in most cases.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

If a woman of 30 was dressing like she did when she was 16, it would seem a little out of place in most cases.

Mask aside, I knew a bunch of women that would wear a green dress when they were 27-32 years old.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I know plenty of people who would love to have the figure they had when they were younger. Jean is living the dream, no shut up Magneto the dream isn't dead I can still fit into those pants I know I can

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also when did the Green Dress Yellow mask costume first appear? It wasn't Uncanny #1 in 1963.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think somewhere near the end of the first uncanny run, maybe early 70s?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncanny X-Men 39/40. 1968. So about 5 years into the run, where the X-Men have sort of graduated. I believe that everyone except Bobby are supposed to be in their 20's around this time.

Also I guess discussing what age the X-Men are now is kinda pointless. Their bodies are aged to whatever they want with resurrection protocols.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 17, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

did he ever imply there would be a super secret awesome insider secret Hickman reason for Jean to wear the Marvel Girl outfit other than "he thinks its a good costume" which is what he said when it was first shown
https://aiptcomics.com/2019/10/14/x-men-monday-32-jonathan-hickman-answers-your-house-of-x-and-powers-of-x-questions/

quote:

Billy-Vell (@williamaximoff) asked: Marvel Girl going back to her old ’60s costume is probably the most controversial wardrobe change in a while, can you talk about why she’s wearing it again, and if there’s any chance she might get a new one(or even go back to another old one)?

Jonathan: I’m not going to lie, this one has been disappointing.

I was pretty sure everyone would figure this out as soon as House of X #1 hit the stands. And while I’m not going to spoil the story for you, I will say go back and look at the most famous time she put this costume back on. That should help.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The most famous time she put the costume back on is probably the moon battle with the Shi'ar over her being Phoenix.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Right, and nothing of the sort has happened in Hickman's book, which is why I'm wondering if he's ever going to actually elaborate on this...what, deep-dive rationale for Jean wearing her old things that he's disappointed at everyone for not figuring out.

Especially with this whole "I'm not going to spoil the story for you" bit. That implies that there's actually, y'know, a story behind this. But we never got it, so....thanks for playing coy about what turned out to be nothing at all, I guess? v:v:v

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Well, she is living on the moom again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I knew he was mostly Generation X, I was just wondering if maybe Rogue guested in the book ever.

IIRC only X-Men who ever guested in Gen-X were Bishop (who got completely wrecked by Emplate, and we learn that he's probably Monet's son (but Fake Monet, so either Claudine or Nicole's son)); Iceman (who also got completely wrecked by Emplate); and, by popular demand, Maggott (who got completely wrecked by a hillbilly hunter with a tranquilizer gun).

Gen-X was a weird book. I'm pretty sure they had more team-ups with Alpha Flight than visitors from the regular X-Teams.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 17, 2021

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BrianWilly posted:

Right, and nothing of the sort has happened in Hickman's book, which is why I'm wondering if he's ever going to actually elaborate on this...what, deep-dive rationale for Jean wearing her old things that he's disappointed at everyone for not figuring out.

Especially with this whole "I'm not going to spoil the story for you" bit. That implies that there's actually, y'know, a story behind this. But we never got it, so....thanks for playing coy about what turned out to be nothing at all, I guess? v:v:v

It's the costume she wore when she's killed in space at the end of the Phoenix story.

She's killed in space in HoX #4.

It's her "I'm gonna die" outfit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guess maybe he's going for the idea that Jean considers it a symbol of claiming her own identity? Like in the Phoenix saga it was her wanting to fight as Marvel Girl, not Phoenix, Jean instead of the Force.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I still think the resurrection system is unconsciously reshaping minds based on Xavier's perspective

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Harold Fjord posted:

I still think the resurrection system is unconsciously reshaping minds based on Xavier's perspective

The guy at CBH is going through House/Powers, and just hit the Orchis mission. He's really confused about lots of stuff in it, like Jean needing Monet to be able to talk to Xavier from the sun, the way Xavier talks to everyone (really babying them), the way everyone talks. It makes the issue really weird, and it's not like there's been any development on it so bad writing maybe? who knows. Maybe Hickman's new book....

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

It's the costume she wore when she's killed in space at the end of the Phoenix story.

She's killed in space in HoX #4.

It's her "I'm gonna die" outfit.

Gaz-L posted:

I guess maybe he's going for the idea that Jean considers it a symbol of claiming her own identity? Like in the Phoenix saga it was her wanting to fight as Marvel Girl, not Phoenix, Jean instead of the Force.
Like that's...fine...those are...fine...reasons...but we still never touch on those reasons in the story even a tiny bit, so in retrospect it's a little douchey for Hickman to act shrewd about some veiled character beat he added -- one that he won't explain the rationale behind when asked by a reader -- under the premise that this rationale might spoil some scene or another that he ended up not writing.

Like just say "I like the outfit" and move on. Don't be disappointed at your readers for not intuiting a thing you didn't even explain or end up following through on.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think they knew polaris would win, that is why they put her in the running, aside from any of us, who is going to vote for Boom Boom, Tempo, etc???

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I think they knew polaris would win, that is why they put her in the running, aside from any of us, who is going to vote for Boom Boom, Tempo, etc???

OG X-Force fans?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine the cover at least was laid out with the Polaris position just as 'poll winner'. But I think the only one that might've edged it would've been Sunspot if Cannonball wasn't also on the list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine the cover at least was laid out with the Polaris position just as 'poll winner'. But I think the only one that might've edged it would've been Sunspot if Cannonball wasn't also on the list.

It honestly crippled both of their chances of winning by the other one also being a possible choice.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

rantmo posted:

OG X-Force fans?

Strong guy was one of the etc. Unless I am misunderstanding. Point I was making it was fixed for Polaris to win. Correct me if I am wrong, no hard feelings :-D

Edit: phone autocorrect correct.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Strong guy was one of the etc. Unless I am misunderstanding. Point I was makinking it was fixed for Polaris to win. Correct me if I am wrong, no hard feelings :-D

Strong Guy was X-Factor

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Strong guy was one of the etc. Unless I am misunderstanding. Point I was making it was fixed for Polaris to win. Correct me if I am wrong, no hard feelings :-D

Edit: phone autocorrect correct.

I was referring specifically to Boom Boom and Tempo as characters fans of the first run of X-Force might be fond of. I love Boomer myself. Strong Guy too. Personally I voted for Banshee because he's been done dirty for so long and I just have always liked him.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^i think I just totally misunderstood. :D

Ah got it, so many X things to try to keep track of. My mind is filled up with so much useless comic stuff that the boozed brain makes it blend together a lot more than it should. And I haven't even been drinking tonight, maybe I should lol.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 18, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

It honestly crippled both of their chances of winning by the other one also being a possible choice.

For real. They knew what they were doing.

Tempo had no chance, but I’m glad she was included because there was a vocal contingent that was pulling for her (myself included). Being put in the running means someone was thinking of her, and it can only help her future chances of showing up.

At the very least, those mini comics are really charming.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was hoping they'd go for a more novel lineup now that almost every mutant who ever existed is available, is all. the only interesting choices were synch, who has recently gone from a talented rookie to being mentally older than the rest of the team combined, and best wolverine. otherwise it is a team you could have seen any time between the 90's and today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I edit: I misread, shows me for looking at a tree while my husband is driving and posting at the same time.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2021