Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cloks posted:

if anything, exposing fans to more titles makes them more likely to seek out comics at retail and related merchandise
To be clear, the move being made that would devalue current books/alienate retailers is to make all books free to read on Marvel Unlimited. The direct effect of saying "you can read X of Swords now for $4-6 per issue, or wait X months and read it and thousands of other comics for $9.99 a month" is something that has been argued devalues single issues, and they're probably right. Obviously some portion of people don't want to wait six months to catch up, but presumably some portion of people might be willing to wait *three* months but not six.

I suppose you could argue that reading things sooner will make them want to buy more merchandise (like I guess if there are Hellfire Gala action figures?), but I don't know about that.

It's not about exposing fans to more titles, it's about exposing them to the exact same titles sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am never going to go into a comic store and buy six months of back issues to get current. I am never going to buy three months.

The way to get me in there is something I am excited about that is new and also to not be in a pandemic or to not be broke.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The X books are the one thing keeping me going to the comic store. The few other books I’m getting I could trade wait for if I wasn’t already in the store, but the X books I have to have as soon as possible.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rick posted:

I am never going to go into a comic store and buy six months of back issues to get current. I am never going to buy three months.

The way to get me in there is something I am excited about that is new and also to not be in a pandemic or to not be broke.
I don't think anyone does. I do think people pick up series based on word of mouth, and I believe the con- argument to moving the delay between release/Unlimited is:

"I hear [Black Cat/Daredevil/X-Factor/SWORD/Iron Man/Immortal Hulk/etc] is good, I'm going to [buy the first trade/read it on Unlimited]"

"I really like this book! What to do now? I could start buying it monthly, or I could wait for it to go up on Unlimited. But then I'd have to wait 90/180 days to read the next one."

Do you see how potentially, for some segment of people, that the barrier between "waiting 90 days" and "waiting 180 days" might feel different?

I also realize that some people will never buy a physical comic book, or never read a digital comic book, or they'll just steal the book or lol if you think any of those books aren't massive piles of poo poo and you're a chump for reading them, there is a beautiful diversity in humanity and no scenario will cover every single one of these things. But I believe there is some portion of humanity that would fall into the "I can wait three months to catch up, that sounds easier than waiting six months" camp, mostly because I know some of them. This is extremely anecdotal, but many things are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW I don't think it's necessary to read all of X of Swords at all. It was very much structured such that you could read the bookend and middle issues and then just read what you were reading going in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you just read the bookends you might come out of it thinking x of swords really was the straightforward sword fighting tournament that was initially promised.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/OneWheelchairX/status/1389300667211296770?s=20

Really?, they're gonna wear their work clothes to this thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain America is always ready to do an imperialism on the mutants, may as well be prepared.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The fantastic four always just wear black-tie dress to parties, don’t they? I bet their super suits are just pitted out and smell like mildew no matter how much they wash them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Captain America is always ready to do an imperialism on the mutants, may as well be prepared.

I figured at least Tony and Jen Walters would bother to dress up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
She-Hulk got butchered quite a while ago and it'll be a while before she's back to being She-Hulk. Tony has no real excuse tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just feel bad for Robby Reyes, first real fancy party and he's gonna be completely under dressed. Imagine how he'll feel seeing the other teens/young adults in from X-Factor/New Mutants?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1389338613696106499?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edge & Christian posted:

Do you see how potentially, for some segment of people, that the barrier between "waiting 90 days" and "waiting 180 days" might feel different?

I suppose you are right.

It honestly does feel different being three months out of the zeitgeist instead of six months out of it. I still read the thread because I don’t care about spoilers but it feels like if I post about something happening in like New Mutants it is relevant to the main discussion still. Maybe just that is a sign that moving it up 3 months is demotivating me from returning to the store.

Although it is more money and COVID.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gologle posted:

She-Hulk got butchered quite a while ago and it'll be a while before she's back to being She-Hulk. Tony has no real excuse tho

She's literally She-Hulk on the image.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's not what I mean.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm sorry I just can't take any mention of a character being butchered seriously it's such a hyperbolic comic fan complaint.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Gologle Posting Experience

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

I'm sorry I just can't take any mention of a character being butchered seriously it's such a hyperbolic comic fan complaint.
I had assumed she was literally chopped up into large portions of Hulk Chunks, given, well, recent Hulk events that I imagine also apply to her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

She was killed during Empyre and had a green door episode right around the time the Leader had control of them so he sends her back to life but closes the door. Can’t recall how much she remembers but I think it very much messed with her.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The retcon of Franklin not being a mutant is still a thing, right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's too recent for it to have been un-retconned or ignored outright yet but hopefully it's just a matter of time. Is Slott still squatting on FF?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1389865626852761603?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hellions continues to be amazing and I want to see where it goes next.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Accepting on behalf of my local comic store.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She was killed during Empyre and had a green door episode right around the time the Leader had control of them so he sends her back to life but closes the door. Can’t recall how much she remembers but I think it very much messed with her.

That Immortal She-Hulk one-shot is the best comic that Jen has been in since she joined Aaron's Avengers (though she had a few good moments during War of the Realms tie-in).

I kind of love how poorly dressed the Avengers and other teams are. I prefer this level of pettyness/disdain, rather than full on fighting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kinda wanted to see a glammed up Captain Marvel though.

Captain America too.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Hellions was great as usual; Zeb Wells is doing wonders with Sinister and Kwannon.

Marauders was great as well; good sendoff to Storm and overall a nice reminder of how much superhero stuff the mutants are still doing. I dislike the takes of "the X-Men are no longer heroes", when they are going around the world helping mutants.

I still can't believe we have monthly books where Greycrow and Pyro are not only heroes, but pretty good characters as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Fantastic Four are all dressed up for Doctor Doom’s wedding that same month. They’re probably still pissy about Fantastic Four/X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fantastic Four are all dressed up for Doctor Doom’s wedding that same month. They’re probably still pissy about Fantastic Four/X-Men.

loving assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a mini where doom manipulated the x-men into killing helpless latverian mutants and then unveiling his own line of custom doom-themed sentinels, reed was still the biggest rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in a mini where doom manipulated the x-men into killing helpless latverian mutants and then unveiling his own line of custom doom-themed sentinels, reed was still the biggest rear end in a top hat.

It's sorta amazing. I think Hickman had a lot of plans for X-Men Fantastic Four interactions and Dan Slott said no.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like the Fantastic Four guy shouldn't be able to say no to the X-Men guy.

Especially when the X-Men guy is the last one to write any F4 people liked.

(And one of like... 4 ever? God, the F4 have been terrible so often.)

((...X-Men too but it averages better.))

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2021

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I really want to like FF but yeah the book is so frequently just absolute poo poo. I tried to get into Slott's run but the few good things (I actually think he writes a decent Ben Grimm) he does is overwhelmed by all the complete bullshit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aphrodite posted:

(And one of like... 4 ever? God, the F4 have been terrible so often.)

You're posting this in an X-Men thread. My Hot Take: the ratio of good-to-bad for FF probably isn't far off from the X-books. And the sheer volume of bad X-books is crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

You're posting this in an X-Men thread. My Hot Take: the ratio of good-to-bad for FF probably isn't far off from the X-books. And the sheer volume of bad X-books is crazy.

I only put a number there because people would argue if I said only, but eh... I mean only.

In any case, Dan Slott ain't one of the good ones. On anything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like the Fantastic Four guy shouldn't be able to say no to the X-Men guy.

Especially when the X-Men guy is the last one to write any F4 people liked.

I think Matt Fraction did a good job, granted I think his Future Foundation was a lot better than his Fantastic Four so maybe it only kind of counts.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

radlum posted:

Hellions was great as usual; Zeb Wells is doing wonders with Sinister and Kwannon.

Marauders was great as well; good sendoff to Storm and overall a nice reminder of how much superhero stuff the mutants are still doing. I dislike the takes of "the X-Men are no longer heroes", when they are going around the world helping mutants.

I still can't believe we have monthly books where Greycrow and Pyro are not only heroes, but pretty good characters as well.

I don't think they've ever said that the mutants of Krakoa aren't or can't be heroes. It's more that there were explicit rulings at the beginning of the Krakoa era that there would be no official team called the X-Men. Scott and Jean overruled the Quiet Council on that at the end of X of Swords.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Speak posted:

I don't think they've ever said that the mutants of Krakoa aren't or can't be heroes. It's more that there were explicit rulings at the beginning of the Krakoa era that there would be no official team called the X-Men. Scott and Jean overruled the Quiet Council on that at the end of X of Swords.

It doesn't have much basis in the fiction, no, but it's been a pretty common (also: bad) fan criticism of the Krakoa era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It doesn't have much basis in the fiction, no, but it's been a pretty common (also: bad) fan criticism of the Krakoa era.
If they mean in the sense that the X-folk are not, for the most part, being ground viciously by the struggles of fighting and barely holding on in an uncaring world, sure. You could even say they have left behind what you could call 'superhero life' in the way that the Avengers and F4 and such live it.

But at this point Krakoa has mostly done a whole lot of good stuff while also talking a fair amount of poo poo. There is probably going to be trouble in the future, but a period of something other than torment for mutants seems, like, deserved, or at least a change of pace.